Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 08:19 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

KahnBB6 / Reyke - VVTi definitely helps on the lower rpms where we drive the most. But those long runners of the GE do play a role too.

Craig - been busy evaluating the GTE short block / head I picked up in FL when I met you two weeks ago. It was part of the MKIV I bought and parted out more than two months ago. I didn't expect that it had the best parts one can ask for like billet mains , cp pistons , brand new crank , carillo rods HD and the head is damn fully built . It has all Ferrea drivetrain with dual springs , +1mm intake and exhaust valves , shimless buckets ,aftermarket camshafts , full port and polish and on top has TBC (thermal barrier coating) on the exhaust ports to increase exhaust gas velocity . Now it gave me another big head ache that keeps me thinking what the hell will I do with it ? Sell or build another high hp setup ? It will cost me at least $6k to have this kind of cylinder head so am thinking of making use of it.

Last edited by gerrb; 07-29-19 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 11:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Nice score that head looks super clean. good to hear the na-t is treating you well!!
Old 07-29-19, 01:40 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Nice score that head looks super clean. good to hear the na-t is treating you well!!
what's up buddy ? How is your 2jz project going on ?

yeah , I was really surprised with the built long block. Though the short block has damage, the head was perfect and having all the best ferrea goodies on it, ported and polished plus exhaust port coated , it can definitely get you into the 1200-1500rwhp territory .
Old 07-31-19, 08:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It's going slowly between all the car projects, but it's finally back together with a GE headgasket and the original GE non-vvti head as a test, and the leakdown looks good now so the issue was with the vvti head thankfully.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-01-19 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 06:17 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

It is a never ending story. We are never satisfied. I said , I just want 400-500rwhp on this NA-T toy of mine utilizing just the stock 2jzgte vvti ECU. Now I want to see it near my other SCs and MKIVs power wise , which means 800rwhp and above . Then see up to where the stock bottom end of Craig's 93 SC300 with around 250k miles will hold . I now have on stand by a spare fully built short block with billet mains, carrillo rods with carr bolts and cp pistons and another complete healthy 2jzgte vvti long block if it blows up which I hope not with what this turbo can get into . Just want to see . Hey Craig ... are you ready to see a rod peep through a window at the side of the block ? .. hahahahah..

Today , took out the Precision 62mm and installed a bigger turbo . In the past there were a lot of questions on what is the biggest turbo that will fit the IS300 turbo exhaust manifold on our SCs, I would like to add more info to help others avoid any guessing game.

I have already shown in the past pages of this thread that you can fit a Precision PT-7675 CEA with an H-Cover so that means any Precision Turbo smaller than that will fit . Now I will answer the question that was lingering in some other threads whether the Borg Warner S369sx-e will fit .

The answer is yes, a BW S369sx-e rated for 950rwhp will fit .. just like the S366 (67mm) which is rated less. BW usually have massive turbine and compressor housings .

I will let the pictures do the talking :

So will it not crushed those AC lines ? No if you bend them a bit. besides if you observe the compressor housing, it will first hit the strut tower before even crushing the AC lines. So the strut tower becomes the stopper.

So how far or at how much power will Craig's 93 stock shortblock with 250k miles last ? It remains to be seen .

Last edited by gerrb; 08-30-19 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 03:19 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Decided today that for this NA-T , I might as well use the Haltech Elite 2000 that I already have instead of selling it. I got it from a project that a friend sold to me which I parted out and kept all the goodies. It has the Boomslang Parallel Harness so I don't have to take out the stock 2jzgte VVTi ECU and that will allow me to use either a manual transmission or automatic transmission. If automatic ,let the stock ecu control the transmission and the rest be controlled by the Haltech Elite 2000 .

Old 09-01-19, 06:00 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Had to redo my IC piping since the turbo I replaced was a PT-6266 CEA and had a different foot print. Still need to work on the exhaust valve cover and install a -10an fitting.

Next is install the 2 (30row) and 1 (25row) transmission oil coolers to replace the 19 row I currently have then rent a dyno so I can tune this thing with the Haltech Elite 2000 and see where the stock block will bring me. Having 250k miles hope it gets into the 800-850rwhp I am eyeing on this auto transmission.

With the Haltech Elite 2000 , will have to tune it MAP based now instead of the MAF which is usually a limitation above what the stock ecu can do.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-01-19 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 03:18 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Beautiful! Love the new piping setup, Gerry I think using the Haltech you already have is a good choice. Excellent ECU system capable of extra fine tuning. I am excited to see what that old stock short block will do.

I'm in full hurricane protection mode right now. Hopefully over the next couple of days it will actually go north and east mostly away from us and not make landfall.
Old 09-02-19, 05:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Beautiful! Love the new piping setup, Gerry I think using the Haltech you already have is a good choice. Excellent ECU system capable of extra fine tuning. I am excited to see what that old stock short block will do.

I'm in full hurricane protection mode right now. Hopefully over the next couple of days it will actually go north and east mostly away from us and not make landfall.
thanks Craig . Hope you guys keep safe and that storm doesn't make a landfall but instead make a right turn soon.

I actually am painting those turbo / intercooler piping in the bay black since the MAF has to go in favor of a MAP and a AIT sensor together with the Haltech Elite . As pictured below , MAF is gone. I would try to clean up the bay today.

With an IS300 treadstone turbo manifold .. it makes everything so easy , clean and less expensive for an NA-T. Secret is having a strong bottom end. If you can't afford a built short block and head , at least use the pre-vvti short block , a vvti head and a vvti ecu . You will haven an fun 400rwhp toy. With an aftermarket ECU , the possibilities are endless since you have better control , go E85 so you can push the stock pre-vvti short block. Torque with E85 is the reason those stock rods will bend and window your block so got to watch that.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-02-19 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 11:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

For any eventuality that I need to do some trouble shooting or remove the Haltech Elite 2000 temporarily , decided to permanently mount / include the MAF in the setup even if I will go MAP based on the Haltech tuning. I relocated it where it won't get damage by high boost and high air temp coming from the IC but still be able to do it's job , that is at the pre-turbo just like the stock 2jzgte setups when I am on stock ecu only.

And before I install the boost solenoid together with all the braided lines for the solenoid,turbo and wastegate , decided to paint the turbo / ic piping and the wheel well passenger side. The theme of this engine bay will be black . I find it easier to maintain a black engine bay. I am tired of polishing a bling bling engine bay

Old 09-02-19, 05:16 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

tried to do whatever else I can today since I will be busy with something else for the next 10 days...

did some more painting

to :

Old 09-03-19, 09:12 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Looks absolutely killer. I can't believe how well the Treadstone manifold helps to package everything. Can't wait for results!
Old 09-04-19, 04:26 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Looks absolutely killer. I can't believe how well the Treadstone manifold helps to package everything. Can't wait for results!
thank you sir .

I thought I posted pictures of the whole engine bay of my NA-T already . Apparently not so here they are below. BTW this car currently has an automatic transmission but it was an original 5 speed car. I want to see how far the vvti automatic transmission will last with a lot of coolers.

For those asking , it is a simple , cheap but reliable setup that I was enjoying for around 400rwhp as a beater car that has some punch with that PT-6266 turbo till that itch of having it go near the power of my other SCs / MKIVs (which are all 2jzGTE configuration) came in. This is my only NA-T car and I love it due to its responsiveness . VVTi and the longer stock intake manifold helps a lot on the lower rpms where we spend most of our time driving . It remains to be seen though with this new turbo since the bigger your turbo is , the laggier it will be in lower RPMs . There is no way around it when it comes to making power . You want more power , you need a bigger turbo (unless you use some other power adders like nitrous / meth injection) but will be laggier down low. Engine on this setup is an old pre-vvti all stock 250k miles short block from Craig (KahnBB6) with a vvti head and TT head gasket / ARP head studs and stock vvti ECU . I did use a TT oil pump though so had to use a restrictor for my turbo due to the high oil pressure. Now with Haltech Elite ECU with a parallel harness so I can keep the stock vvti TT auto transmission . I want to find out up to where such transmission will go without breaking. Though I have just finished installing 3x huge 30 rows transmission oil coolers. Heat is what kills the auto transmission. So with the addition of those 3 oil coolers , hopefully the stock transmission will survive the power goal I am after and for a while till I figure something out about a built auto trans for this car or just put it back to manual transmission since this was originally manual. At the same time , before I decided to crank it up higher , got a built short block with billet mains / cp pistons / carillo rods ready so if ever something happens on the short block , I can just swap and have it really ready for higher boosts. The pre vvti GE block has almost same strength as that of the TT short block . In every NA-T , one of the secrets is a good engine management system (ECU) which allows you to have full control of your power train ( fueling / ignition) plus have the necessary fail safes to avoid catastrophic incidents.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-14-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 10:48 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Sounds like an absolute riot, and the packaging came together great. You give me a shout if you ever go in another direction and want to part ways with that set up.
Old 09-11-19, 09:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I had a few hours to spare this morning so decided to install the Haltech Elite 2000 , the gauges and boost controller that all came from a 1999 SC300 with a 2jzgte swap that I bought from a friend and parted out which basically came out to be free after having gotten back my money from selling all the other parts I wasn't interested in keeping . The gauges oil, boost/vacuum and afr gauges) are not the ones that I will typically buy for myself but hey ..... they are free so I have nothing to complain . It will be easier for me to install and remove the ecu if it was in the center console box thus preventing anyone from starting the car . Had to run the parallel harness and a vacuum line for the onboard map sensor under that center console.

Last edited by gerrb; 09-11-19 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys