Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 04:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Dang been seeing your name for years on supraforums gerrb but never knew you were a badass of the SC world too, until myself just bought one! Mines not quite as rare as the two 97's you have, but i just picked up a 1 of 299 i think? baltic blue 95 (automatic though).

How do you compare from your point of view all the standalones you've experienced in your cars? Pro-EFI, Haltech, AEM V2, Infinity, Motec.. you pretty much got em all!
Thank you sir . Every ecu has its own pros and cons . It is all a question of what is your setup and what do you need to do that the ECU should support. Like for a good example , if your setup needs a good built auto transmission support , only ProEFI and Motec can help you ... Haltech , AEM (whatever version) don't support the auto transmissions. ProEFI may not have the best interface but it does the job well , most of what someone need in an aftermarket ECU is supported . So indeed it is really a question of what are the features one is looking for .

But the most important to consider is , who is tuning your car . An ECU is only as good as the tuner. Regardless how nice or how powerful in feature an ECU has , if the tuner do not know how to take advantage of such features then such ECU won't be of help to you.'

Nice and congrats on having an SC. I love them , they are my sleepers. I can fool around with newer cars that boasts of having some power. I love wondering how they feel when they cannot keep up with an old car , hahaha.
Old 08-22-20, 04:24 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Brandon (Halon) , gave me a huge problem in offering the 1997 SC300 5 speed to me then even delivering it 1200 miles away for the price he paid for it plus delivery expenses .

The pictures and videos he sent me before we made the deal didn't show the true picture of the car ... IT IS A LOT BETTER in person . Those pictures / videos didn't do justice to the car. Brandon , you need to buy a better and newer phone .

He arrived at midnight in my place North of Atlanta so we decided to just unload the car in the morning so we can have some time eating / drinking and talking before we call it a day. At the crack of dawn decided to get a glimpse of the car . And when all the morning dew had dried up , indeed I was amazed on the condition of the car. At 57k miles , only 5 years on the road from 1997-2002 then garaged for 18 years till Brandon bought it less than a month ago , tells you why its condition in and out is truly immaculate. When Brandon left , I was like a kid at Christmas trying to sort out and see what Santa brought me ... all the top notch performance parts that came with the sale.

Problem is I bought this car to see a lot of boost. My SCs are sleepers that I use to fool around with new car owners that boasts of having quite some power. I love wondering how they feel when they cannot keep up with an old car. My SCs are not for look good purposes. There are tons of more beautiful cars than them which can be acquired. Knowing that I will boost the SC to the moon , I even showed Brandon the 12 injector Intake Manifold that was just delivered and was previously used in the +1603rwhp Supra of Geo from Real Street Performance.

My dilemma now, built 2jzgte / 6speed or bring it all back to stock. I showed Brandon a 1997 engine / W58 transmission sitting around with around 140k miles that I can simply put in on the same day I take out the 2jzgte / v160 that is in there and get it running in the next day or two .

If it is staying stock and while running the car with 140k stock engine setup , am contemplating though on building an all stock 2jzge engine with all new internals so one can say it has a newly built stock engine .

I wonder if the 2jzGE stock short blocks and heads are still available. I can take that route to put a new long block on this car. Seeing it in person helped me made a decision that it should go back to all stock BUT not just any used engine / transmission . It has to be close to if not totally new long block.

Clublexus have allowed me to have friends and some really good ones across this nation. Brandon has done a lot of things for me which I doubt everyone I knew here will do. I will be forever indebted to him .

Last edited by gerrb; 08-23-20 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ali SC3 (08-24-20)
Old 08-23-20, 06:28 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 190 Posts

Beautiful car indeed! Good find Halon!

I plan to use my 2jzgte vvt-i single turbo/manual setup looking for around 600-650 wheel with a standalone, i have two tuners; one only does Link ECU and the other does AEM V2/Infinity, Motec & Haltech. Motec is a little out of my price range and I don't really need the automatic trans control that pro efi offers so I've been trying to figure out whether to go Link/Infinity/Haltech.

I also agree with you in the whole power vs looks thing. My $700 shell of a GS300 is a testimate to that
Old 08-23-20, 11:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Beautiful car indeed! Good find Halon!

I plan to use my 2jzgte vvt-i single turbo/manual setup looking for around 600-650 wheel with a standalone, i have two tuners; one only does Link ECU and the other does AEM V2/Infinity, Motec & Haltech. Motec is a little out of my price range and I don't really need the automatic trans control that pro efi offers so I've been trying to figure out whether to go Link/Infinity/Haltech.

I also agree with you in the whole power vs looks thing. My $700 shell of a GS300 is a testimate to that
among the last three , I will go with AEM Infinity just for the simple reason that it has more support locally when it comes to tuners and motorshops since AEM is here in the USA. Its has most if not all the features you will ever need . The two , being from the Far East ... having experience with Haltech , not that it is not a good ECU ... I simply prefer an ECU where I can get help easily .
Old 08-24-20, 08:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

After talking to Elmhurst Toyota and McGeorge Toyota Parts Departments , the 2jzGE short block , 2jzGE cylinder head and W58 manual transmission are all discontinued. Which means I cannot return the 97 SC300 5speed into a condition that its drive train / power train are all brand new and in the original Factory configuration .
Old 08-24-20, 09:17 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think Halonen took a couple wrong turns.. the car is no where near my place lol
Old 08-24-20, 01:25 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I think Halonen took a couple wrong turns.. the car is no where near my place lol
What's up my friend ? Looks like he got lost or probably was using an old GPS / map . Well am pretty sure , you would take good care of it too if it ended in CO .

How are your projects ? Am still debating on the direction of this car ... been debating since Saturday morning when I saw it in broad daylight . Never saw an SC this pristine in and out. The minor flaws are negligible , actually almost nothing . All its drive train / power train cannot be bought brand new anymore which was my original plan . So I need to plan wisely on my next option. I have no plans of going all out or big hp on this . The closer it gets back into Factory Configuration , the better in my opinion. I have another 1997 5speed I am working for that big power so this can stay all stock and keep it in the barn with occasional use.

I have an all stock setup but mileage is 140k . I will search for a low mileage 1997 engine or build / refresh one more likely.
Old 08-24-20, 02:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

It's a nice looking one and glad you picked it up, I am leaning towards an older 92-95 again.
Been busy, moved down to Texas just haven't updated the profile.. sold a couple cars and the c3 is doing well but needs a/c now.
That is a tough one, you could rebuild the 97 block (although it probably doesn't need it), or maybe a clean oem looking gte manual swap to keep in spirits with the chassis.
Old 08-24-20, 05:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

hhmmmm what part of TX ? I figure work related. You don't want the cold weather anymore ?

I want a very low mileage 97 engine so if the future forces me to sell it , I can put it on BAT and hopefully get a good amount. It is so clean that it is worth restoring just to its factory configuration. Have four boosted SCs right now (one still a project) so building another doesn't make sense for me. And this being low mileage and very clean will be more sensible to put to stock configuration and be more valuable in the future.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-25-20 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Was just time for some change, been in Colorado for almost a decade and lately it seems too crowded and overly expensive at least housing wise.. my wife and I don't do too many winter sports anymore so we are looking forward to some lake time and warmer weather over here.. well after we finish a few renovation projects on our new/old house. Both of us are from Texas so it seemed to make sense lol.

Yeah you are probably right on the stock configuration on that car, it is getting harder to find the original or well kept ones so they will likely get more valuable.
Old 08-25-20, 08:44 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Congrats on the new car Gerrb! Can you post pictures of the interior? I always love seeing mint condition interiors on these cars.
Old 08-26-20, 05:51 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Was just time for some change, been in Colorado for almost a decade and lately it seems too crowded and overly expensive at least housing wise.. my wife and I don't do too many winter sports anymore so we are looking forward to some lake time and warmer weather over here.. well after we finish a few renovation projects on our new/old house. Both of us are from Texas so it seemed to make sense lol.

Yeah you are probably right on the stock configuration on that car, it is getting harder to find the original or well kept ones so they will likely get more valuable.
One of our daughters and my brother with his family is in Austin that is why I did ask also.

Yeah , I will give it some time me looking for a 1997 SC300 engine (from an auto or manual) which is not more than 57k miles which this SC300 5 speed has in its chassis and keep it in all stock condition. If after quite some time , I don't find any then I might as well boost it .. hahaha. But I will do my best to be patient searching for a stock engine with low mileage since this car in factory condition deserves it.

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Congrats on the new car Gerrb! Can you post pictures of the interior? I always love seeing mint condition interiors on these cars.
Thanks ! The looks of the car in and out clearly shows that it has only 57k miles and wasn't on the road but a couple of years. Year 2002 was the last time its registration was renewed by the second owner who owned it since 1999 . It was garaged since then since he started a 2jzgte / v160 swap that was never completed.

The lighting where the car is right now is not the best so pictures doesn't do justice to its real condition . Even the pictures and videos Brandon (Halon) sent me , I saw how good it was but when I saw the car in person , I was just in awe .... but, here you go :

Last edited by gerrb; 08-26-20 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-26-20, 07:30 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I'm not sure if its the lighting, but it looks like it could use a nice deep cleaning and will look 100% new.
Old 08-26-20, 10:14 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I'm not sure if its the lighting, but it looks like it could use a nice deep cleaning and will look 100% new.
both , lighting and cleaning. The car sat for around 18 years straight . I will get to it once I get it running in another couple of years... hahaha... waiting for the right low mileage 97 sc300 engine to pop up.
Old 08-26-20, 05:00 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
both , lighting and cleaning. The car sat for around 18 years straight . I will get to it once I get it running in another couple of years... hahaha... waiting for the right low mileage 97 sc300 engine to pop up.
Maybe I'm too OCD, but I could never leave it like that. Even my trashed Supra TT seats I tried to clean them. lol

Dirt/dust + sun is the enemy of leather. Even something as simple as the occasional vacuum and wipe down goes a long way.

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys