Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 10:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
That's not a garage, that's PARADISE. I know you and your friends enjoy it Gerry.
Thank you Bimmerbill … indeed a good place to spend chatting around with friends with a drink and some games on a lazy afternoon . At times I have 3 to 5 boosted car owners who just want to do minor work on their cars at my place while hanging out . More brains can help many times 😉 .

Just finished installing the GTE oil pans with new oil pickup and baffle plus an oil temp sensor on this stock 2jzGE that I would like to push to its limit before I install a built long block on this current project.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-10-23 at 11:00 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gerrb:
Bimmerbill (01-10-23), KahnBB6 (01-11-23), RudysSC (01-10-23)
Old 01-14-23, 06:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

By now , most of you probably have read or heard about that totaled supra mkiv caused by a driver not being able to control it from an acceleration. Glad driver was safe. We have been previously talking about not being able to enjoy a car in cold weather / streets during winter especially in places like CO . That is a classic example of not having good traction and a slew of other factors that might have caused the accident. Would I say more that if you are indeed a performance car buff and want to enjoy more safe play time most of the year … go and live in the Southern States 🤷‍♂️🤣.
CurtK (08-23-23), KahnBB6 (01-16-23), stheodore (01-14-23)
Old 01-14-23, 09:29 AM
stheodore
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

To many longtime Supra owners, it appears that the poor car may have fallen victim to the dreaded OEM LSD "Torsen kick". Although mere speculation at this point, many a high horsepower Supra has met similar fate when equipped with the stock LSD and so it may have been a significant factor in that wreck as well (of course in addition to cold roads, tires, etc.). Just a terrible outcome all around.
The following 2 users liked this post by stheodore:
gerrb (01-15-23), KahnBB6 (01-16-23)
Old 01-15-23, 03:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Indeed that could have been another one of the factors that contributed to the unfortunate accident. I had my own share of fishtailing especially in the early years or before the era of the modern EFI computers when traction control wasn’t widely implemented and all we had were the torsen lsd equipped differential in our cars . With so many other factors that might have contributed to its demise , it is just unfortunate that a very low mileage MKIV had to be totaled by the looks of it .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-15-23 at 04:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gerrb:
KahnBB6 (01-16-23), stheodore (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 08:21 PM
stheodore
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As you said, the most important thing isn't nit picking what might have happened but taking a moment to realize how unfortunate the entire situation is. A low mileage and well built Supra was wrecked by a mechanic or shop owner and the car is lost, the driver was hurt, and the owner of the Supra is out significantly. Let's hope that the shop makes it right for the owner either by choice or by lawsuit, once the driver has been discharged from the hospital. Truly a terrible situation that I wouldn't wish upon everyone, and I do hope that we get positive updates on the matter over time.
The following users liked this post:
gerrb (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 01:33 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

It is a very sad situation all around. I am glad to learn that the driver was not seriously injured (miraculously) and will be physically okay soon. As to the car and its handling that day... as all have stated it is very hard to determine without knowing more intimate details of the situation. The owner is now facing a total loss of a very valuable and hard to replace car.

But in one regard after seeing the video of the loss of control it looks a lot like the behavior of a Torsen T-1 factory LSD either encountering low traction in general and "kicking" to the left or it looks like the same behavior due to running more than 450whp through it. Tire selection, tread life, the cold weather and road surface all contribute as to however the car was configured with aftermarket traction control... or no aftermarket traction control at all.

I have experienced that dreaded Torsen T-1 LSD step-out and snap oversteer phenomenon several times in my SC since I installed one over ten years ago. The most recent experience was when I was leaving a car wash of all places in the summer time. The tires were still just a little wet as I pulled onto the main road and accelerated and those rear tires were getting to the point that they did need replacing.

All I did was give the car some gas to accelerate to about 50mph or so and it happened VERY suddenly (as it always has whenever it does happen). I was able to counter steer and save but there was a good deal of fishtailing and honking of horns next to me. Thankfully no one was hurt, no other cares were damaged and my SC and I were okay. I pulled over and sat for about 20min in a parking lot to collect myself before moving on.

The next day I had an order in for a new set of rear tires in my model and size which were installed a few days later.

Mind you my car has only 350hp at most. I have even experienced this issue when it was running the NA 2JZ-GE engine and a 4.272:1 rear end with that same Torsen T-1 LSD. Too much power for the worm and spur gears can certainly cause this to happen but it also has to do with how well the LSD by its design can handle low traction road conditions... and compounding the problem further: how well your tires respond to wet or slick road conditions AND the current ambient temperature outside.

Seeing this video is a stark reminder of what can happen when one of those old T-1's combined with several other factors create the perfect condition for a loss of control situation like that.

Ideally when I can swing it I will be looking for a 200mm Torsen T-2 LSD or I'll buy an OS Giken 1.5-Way Super Lock LSD and have either installed in my SC and replace my Torsen T-1.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-16-23 at 01:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
gerrb (01-16-23), stheodore (01-16-23)
Old 02-01-23, 04:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

making some changes on my current build ... don't we always change our mind

on top of that , I am selling one of the 3 boosted SCs so I have more time playing with whatever is left or I will never end up finishing this current project . Every time I look outside my windows in my place up there North of Atlanta and I see these 3 boosted SCs .. I kinda ask myself , why the hell I need to work on another SC ? Just drive and enjoy what you have is what goes through my mind ! Just posted them at the marketplace section and posted tons of 2jz stuff too that are laying around my garage.

I will give a good deal on any of the cars to people on this forum who will appreciate them better than most people on FB .

Last edited by gerrb; 02-01-23 at 04:06 AM.
KahnBB6 (02-01-23), MongooseGA (02-01-23), RudysSC (02-01-23)
Old 04-21-23, 07:31 PM
babillarac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
making some changes on my current build ... don't we always change our mind

on top of that , I am selling one of the 3 boosted SCs so I have more time playing with whatever is left or I will never end up finishing this current project . Every time I look outside my windows in my place up there North of Atlanta and I see these 3 boosted SCs .. I kinda ask myself , why the hell I need to work on another SC ? Just drive and enjoy what you have is what goes through my mind ! Just posted them at the marketplace section and posted tons of 2jz stuff too that are laying around my garage.

I will give a good deal on any of the cars to people on this forum who will appreciate them better than most people on FB .
same old gerry, how you been bro?
Old 08-21-23, 05:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by babillarac
same old gerry, how you been bro?
been a while since I was here buddy.. My wife was diagnosed with cancer last year so I dedicated most of my time taking care of her until she succumbed to her illness and passed away lately. Lost interest for a while with my toys. Hopefully I can get busy again with them since I just acquired another TT MKIV 1997 Limited / Anniversary edition.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-21-23 at 05:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 05:20 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

Sorry for your loss gerrb. That Mk4 is real nice, great pick up!
Old 08-21-23, 09:07 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Gerry,
My deepest sympathies to you and yours. Rest assured you did the right thing taking care of her in her time of need and she dearly loved you more for that. Take care Gerry.
Bill
Old 08-22-23, 12:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Oh Gerry I am so very, very sorry. I was growing concerned about you... and now I know why. I will call you tomorrow. My deepest condolences to you, the children and family. I am honored that I got to meet her a few times.

I am so sorry my friend.

Old 08-22-23, 11:14 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 504 Likes on 300 Posts

So sorry 🥲 can't imagine the despair. My sympathies as best I can. All the best in the future
Old 08-22-23, 03:39 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best.
Old 08-22-23, 05:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Thank you to all … greatly appreciate it !

Quick Reply: 2jzGTE SCs - The Siblings of my Supra MKIV Toys