Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

KingPhilipII's Blue Flame

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 10:30 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=KingPhilip;7552412]^^^What's with all these clutter on my thread?! Joke! You're right, I studied how it works, I guess, what I felt was all in the mind...

Anyways, I just got my LS rotors in the mail today, I should have the calipers back at the end of next week, I got them repolished... 1 of the rotors beside my size 8 J's...

Also, I stripped the color of the Muteki SR48 lugs I have in preparation to match my polished calipers, the color is stripping anyways, with the slightest tough of the socket when removing them...

And, got my faulty LED's replaced under warranty, didn't know they came with 2 year warranty and half my dash wasn't lighting up in the last 6-8 months, lol! Anyways, I also did some reflective tape, hoping to eliminate spotting, but it didn't do ****. Took me 2 hours, for nothing, lol!

I'm still planning on getting my cluster and AC controls done through LexTech when I have a different daily to drive...

Just a few until I receive all the parts and get them installed, I've been having problems with my brakes sticking lately so it's time to install them. And hopefully someone can help me out with my gated shifter conversion, I need the shifter linkage here; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-linkage.html
I bought my gated shifter some time ago, and asked the seller if the linkage is included, he said yes, but it wasn't with it when I received the package, anyways, my SC is my daily, so there's no way I can get the existing linkage cut at the same time I do the conversion. Let me know guys, thanks![/QUOTE

I drill and tap a thread to go into the shifter linkage and put to nuts to hold it making it adjustable for the gated shifter. You can buy a threaded rod at Home Depot. For about 10 bucks you have a adjusted shift linkage.
Old 10-27-12, 08:18 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 3rd/Spoiler Brake Light

Originally Posted by jwin
I drill and tap a thread to go into the shifter linkage and put to nuts to hold it making it adjustable for the gated shifter. You can buy a threaded rod at Home Depot. For about 10 bucks you have a adjusted shift linkage.
Actually I thought about doing it something like that, still not sure, I just might find a real cheap one...

And as usual, when there's mods, there's other problems just lurking around... I noticed that my 3rd brake light on the spoiler quit working, didn't really wanna get pulled over for it. So I researched, and THANK YOU CL, it turned out to be a common problem. What happens is, the wire from the spoiler to the hinge of the trunk, has an exact length, that in time, due to opening/closing of the trunk, it gets cut. So I had to extend the wires about 3 inches and loosen it from the electrical tape so it can freely move with the trunk. All fixed now! I swear CL has done a lot of the work for my SC!

Brake light w/o parklights

Brake lights w/ parklights

Rear Park Lights

Testing.

Last edited by OG Dada; 10-29-12 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-30-12, 10:57 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Default LS Brake Calipers

Finally got around to doing this. Since I'm oh so inspired with Kohinoor's build(but isn't as baller as he is, lol) I decided to get my LS brake calipers polished. (Still undecided as to how am I gonna match the rear, so I'ma leave it like that for now.)

Back from polishing, Deco Metal Finishing.

***I have a regular digicam, and the pics don't do any justice to how clean the job was.

First thing I did, when I got the calipers back from polishing was to rebuild the seals and everything. The calipers was very clean with plenty of pad left, but I didn't wanna take chances... And honestly, it still could've lasted long even if I didn't, after I saw how clean everything was inside but I already have OEM rebuild kit.

The shop already disassembled the calipers when returned to me, except they didn't take the pistons out yet. Pry the old brake piston dust boot out carefully with a flathead screwdriver. There's a metal guide thingy inside the boot that you're gonna reuse.

Since I don't have air compressor in my condo, I had to get creative in taking the pistons out. I used a 17mm & 19mm open wrenches and a flathead screwdriver combination to pry each side of the piston at the same time. Tell you what...? It worked like a charm.
(Wasn't able to take pics since both my hands were full.)

I didn't have to clean much of the pistons, but the dust that got in from polishing. Next step was to remove the old piston chamber rubber seals. You can use a flathead screwdriver to pry the seal out or your bare fingers if you can, just be very careful not to scratch or damage the chamber walls. Mine was a little bit hard to remove 'cause like I said, everything was still in good shape and looks almost brand new.

Clean the chamber walls with brake cleaner and wipe dry or let it dry before installing the new seals. The OEM rebuild kit comes with a small grease pack enough if not more, for the pistons and seals, so make sure that you grease each part thoroughly before install

Install shouldn't be any different from disassembly. Rubber seal first.

Grease the pistons before installing it back in.

Make sure you push it in leveled.

Then the metal-dust-boot-guide-thingy. It should be a snug fit.

I turned the dust boots inside out for easy install, like this.

Then installed the inner part first around the pistons' grooved edge.

Once it's time to turn it right-side out, make sure the outer part of the boot goes over the piston chamber wall lip.

After everything is put back together, I reassemble the 2 halves of the brake calipers. There's only 2 small rubber seals for the brake fluid holes on each brake calipers. I had to reuse the old ones, 'cause the rebuild kit didn't come with new ones...

Last edited by OG Dada; 12-07-12 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-30-12, 10:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Default Continuation...

The bolts that join the 2 halves of the brake calipers have 2 different lengths and use torx/star key T-47 size. A lot have been converted already to the regular hex sockets, especially the rebuilt ones from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

The shorter bolts go to the outer holes, and obviously the longer to the inner holes.

After tightening all 4 bolts, the calipers are good as new and ready for install!

Installing it is pretty easy and straightforward. If you can remove the brake calipers, then you can install these. I only took pics of the differences and confusion people usually ask in installing/upgrading/switching to LS brake calipers.

Remove OEM brake calipers and brackets from the hub and brake line. You're gonna need to either remove the dust shield or completely trim the edge that goes over the brake rotor and the part that'll hit the LS brake calipers. I say let's just completely remove it since it wouldn't serve it's purpose once you trim those parts, lol. It wasn't easy for me since I don't have any kind of power cutting tools to use. I used a sheet metal snipper, pliers, and a lot of muscle to cut and remove the dust shield. I still plan on putting brand new LS dust shields, when funds permit. As you can see the dust shields got completely mangled...

Then you're left with this.

I test fitted the calipers to see where it hits so I can grind down the tiny part which people say will prevent it from sitting flush to the hubs mounting point. Here's a pic from the other side.

Filed it down real quick, and voila! Perfect fit!

Another difference are the mounting bolts. The SC bolts are longer than the LS bolts, so it'll hit the rotor if you don't use a spacer or grind it shorter. Ehhh, didn't really wanna do either, so I bought 4 new ones from the dealer, and cost me no more than $5.

Once everything was installed, it was time to bleed the system! And NO! That's not prune juice!

Tadda!!

Last edited by OG Dada; 11-01-12 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 07:03 AM
sc400ka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang it well i know how my wheels are going to look now!
Old 10-31-12, 09:47 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dong you weren't joking about dirty fluid...jeez. I have never seen brake fluid like that. Good thing you did the flush! haha. Looks good though...
Old 10-31-12, 12:05 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc400ka
dang it well i know how my wheels are going to look now!
Ouch! Why you saying it like its a bad thing?! I know it doesn't look right right now, but these wheels are just temporary...

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
Dong you weren't joking about dirty fluid...jeez. I have never seen brake fluid like that. Good thing you did the flush! haha. Looks good though...
It's not really that dark, it looks like olive oil. Thanks for the help though!
Old 10-31-12, 12:22 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
but these wheels are just temporary...
it's been 8 months bro.
Old 10-31-12, 12:36 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raine
it's been 8 months bro.
I was planning to use these for 2 years. Priorities come first...
Old 10-31-12, 01:56 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I was planning to use these for 2 years. Priorities come first...
I know... just bustin' your *****. You guys coming up for trick-or-treating this year?
Old 10-31-12, 02:14 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raine
I know... just bustin' your *****. You guys coming up for trick-or-treating this year?
I know, I know... Lol

Yup! We're preparing to leave SD now...
Old 12-03-12, 11:36 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Default New Tint

After wash, new tint. (50% Front, 5% Rear)

New decal too.

Parking Like A Boss!

Can't park forward, 'cause the towhooks hit the wheel stopper, and since SC's are pretty long, my rear end stick out a lot. Our SC's is actually longer than that Taureg parked beside me. The entire front bumper stick out too, so when it rains, the front bumper get wet.

Exhaust note.

I haven't cleaned up my K&N air filter until a couple days ago, ever since I put it in when I first bought the car, and ever since, my exhaust note sounds way more throaty than before cleaning the filter. Or I'm just imagining things.... Lol

Forgot to upload this couple of shots when I repainted my rear calipers, lol.

Last edited by OG Dada; 12-04-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 11:43 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I just love the sight of this car.
Old 12-03-12, 11:56 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great looking car man. That blue is one of my favorite colors on our car. It's funny that you thought yours was black before you bought it, because the pictures from the seller of my black one made it look blue!
Old 12-03-12, 01:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Damn, I just love the sight of this car.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by OneJay
Great looking car man. That blue is one of my favorite colors on our car. It's funny that you thought yours was black before you bought it, because the pictures from the seller of my black one made it look blue!
Thanks bro! Lack of lighting make this color look so dark that it looks black! Plus, the seller who sold it to me used some kind of VGA cam and posted it on craigslist, which is not exactly photobucket quality! Lol

Quick Reply: KingPhilipII's Blue Flame