Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

"Raine's SC300 (KEIRA 2.0) From the Beginning to End."

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 11:32 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Why was there a lot of overspray or something?
Old 09-04-12, 11:35 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Update: Added extra photos to the 2.23.12 post "Photo Shoot"

Last edited by raine; 09-12-12 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 11:18 AM
Dueces
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may have looked stock but still a well put together job. Nice!!
Old 09-05-12, 01:36 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Why was there a lot of overspray or something?
Oh man... "a lot" is an understatement. There was a lot of overspray, but there were also (and worse) a lot of parts that were completely painted that shouldn't have been.

There was paint overspray on the edges of the low-beam headlamp lenses, the edges of the high beam headlamp lenses, the side windows, the taillights, and the muffler tips. Worse, there was COMPLETE paint coverage on the rubber seal on top of the headlamps, the rubber seal at the front signal lamp edge, the rubber seal at the front of the hood (underneath when you open the hood), the rubber seals around the windshield sprayers, the entire black trim piece that surrounds both side/rear windows, the whole rubber seal at the bottom of the doors, the whole rubber seal at the back edge of the doors, the rubber seal around the door handles, the left side keyhole, the rubber covers at the door latches, the whole black surround on the moonroof, and most of the plastic antenna base. There's probably more, I just forgot the rest.

It took a lot of work to clean all of that crap up. The overspray was relatively easy to remove (acetone, a rag, being careful) but the parts that were actually sprayed, either I had to buy all replacements (nope) or sit there with an Xacto and chip it all off (yup). For about 10 days after I got my car that's all I was doing. It was such a pain in the ***.
Old 09-12-12, 10:31 AM
Da Coupe
Driver

"old school ambers"..... haha it's nice to see someone from the ol skool cali scene
Old 09-12-12, 05:31 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Nice Rack

- After the miles and miles of daily driving, the front end developed a knocking noise. It was the signal to replace the lower control arm bushings. Since that meant the car had to go up, I decided to combo the job with a new steering rack and new outer tie rods. Felling a little "road trip" I headed south to KingPhilip's and we started with the LCA bushing replacement.

Front bumper off - the only way to get a jack under the car.

Torching out the old, dry, broken LCA bushings.

The only hard part about this is keeping from inhaling the burnt rubber smoke.

It took about 10 minutes with a constant burn to remove each bushing completely.

New (reman) rack on the left, old, leaky, ripped boot rack on the right.

We were chasing daylight so I forgot to take more pics. The whole job (replacing the front LCA bushings, swapping out the rack and tie rods) took about 7 hours, with a break or two in between. LCA replacement bushings were from Prothane, and we only swapped the lower bushings; I still have the Prothane upper bushings in the box for future use when needed. Thanks to KingPhilip again for handling the bulk of the labor (I'm over working on my car all the time LOL).

The next day I headed out to the only place I recommend for lowered car alignments - JC Autohouse in Temple City, CA. Cyrus, cheery as usual, wrenched on the car and adjusted everything to my custom alignment specs, and he took care of centering the steering wheel as well.

I only show up once or twice a year, but every time I'm here Cyrus remembers me.

Best shorts EVAR LOL - Cyrus rolling up the jean shorts because of the hot weather in 626 hahaha.

With the wheel steering centered and the alignment perfect, the car has a whole new feel to it. First of all, no more power steering leaks! As for the LCA's, the front end doesn't have any squeaks and knocks anymore, and when going over bumps and stuff on the road the front suspension feels nice and tight. I would have to say that upgrading LCA bushings makes a HUGE difference in handling and everyday driving comfort and feel.

Cyrus got it to my requested specs - wheel lips aligned to the front fender.

...and the rear wheel lips match the fitment of the front.

(continued on post #246)

Last edited by raine; 10-16-12 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 05:38 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

That sucks about all the overspray! I know I don't like any overspray on my car so I will take it right back to my body shop if theres any lol. I think the only thing you need up front now is LS 400 brakes

Last edited by CalitriSC; 09-12-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 05:48 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks about all the overspray! I know I don't like any overspray on my car so I will take it right back to my body shop if theres any lol. I think the only thing you need up front now is LS 400 brakes
Funny - me and KingPhilip talked about brakes while we were doing the LCA/rack work, he made the same LS400 brake suggestion and my answer to him was "I will upgrade the front brakes when I have a motor that requires upgraded front brakes"
Old 09-12-12, 06:05 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Lol yea, I did mine because I hated how the stock SC brakes felt coming from an STi and also having an IS-F with great brakes. I would have been tempted to take those headlights while the front bumper was off!
Old 09-12-12, 06:11 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh God! Those shorts! Cyrus is the best at alignments, but definitely need work on his swagger! Hahaha!
Old 09-12-12, 06:12 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Lol yea, I did mine because I hated how the stock SC brakes felt coming from an STi and also having an IS-F with great brakes. I would have been tempted to take those headlights while the front bumper was off!
Not with me standing there LOL

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Oh God! Those shorts! Cyrus is the best at alignments, but definitely need work on his swagger! Hahaha!
He's sexy and he knows it LOL
Old 09-12-12, 06:17 PM
thebadz32
Driver

this is without a doubt the most detailed thread i have ever scene and car looks sick!
Old 09-12-12, 06:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Is Cyrus related to Kip from Napolian Dynamat?
Old 09-13-12, 08:53 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Are the ball joints in good shape on your LCA's ? The reason I ask is because my LCA's need to be changed. If I can swap the bushings alone and have a good ride quality, then i'd change the bushings for pro-thanes and call it a day. New LCA's are way too expensive.
Inspiring thread BTW.
Old 09-13-12, 09:15 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
Are the ball joints in good shape on your LCA's ? The reason I ask is because my LCA's need to be changed. If I can swap the bushings alone and have a good ride quality, then i'd change the bushings for pro-thanes and call it a day. New LCA's are way too expensive.
Inspiring thread BTW.
That's the only reason we swapped the bushings to polyurethane's anyways, ball joints are good but OEM bushings are bad. The way you check it is, by disconnecting the ball joint from the hub, then rotating it left and right - like a joystick. If it moves smooth and nothing feels like catching it, then its good.
Attached Thumbnails "Raine's SC300 (KEIRA 2.0) From the Beginning to End."-screen-shot-2012-09-13-at-9.13.41-am.png  

Quick Reply: "Raine's SC300 (KEIRA 2.0) From the Beginning to End."