Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Bahndrvr's Build Thread - 92 SC300 1JZ-GTE VVTI

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 06:18 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice meeting you yesterday Kahn - kind of a fluke that the day I go to locate Grip is a day your over there

Hope to get some stuff moving on this car soon! I'm phening for a faster vehicle - my Truck as you saw is big and slow - just Cruise in it you know - the Car on the other hand is quick and fun - hopeful it will be Fast and funner soon;-)
Old 04-29-13, 06:33 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

My son came back over so we threw the SSQV BOV on right before the throttle body - sounds Great, the stock diverter is still in place and unhooked but the way it is I get a little noise back throug hte intake I believe because it is diverting Around the turbo, what is the best way to block that off as it's scary thinking that air is going back through the turbo.
Old 05-19-13, 07:16 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Default Time consuming update

Well - had some time this evening to get some stuff done.

Went ahead and welded up some seat brackets to get the passenger seat mounted, mounted the front headlight frame and bumper support, made a bridge between the cut front aluminum bumper brace and then mounted the Newer cleaned up headlights and foglights, then removed the stupid Xenon's and went back to just normal 9006 Halogens with these stock projectors I think that is best.

Then started throwing the bumper on - it's on - and Honeslty, my drill bits all burnt up so didn't get the seats mounted, but once moutned, I have a few Very small things to do then it's Tag time

The list is short though:

Mount passenger seat and seatbelt
Finish mounting front bumper and reinforce a few items
Solid mount the fenders and hood - they are loose for adjustment purposes
4 Wheel Alignment

Plasticoat the car after a good wash job and wax strip.

Then get to the track for more baseline times in the current setup without Water Meth.

Then it may slow down except for track times, track times, track times and little things taht come from that until fall/winter and the Manual swap and Big Single will come;-)

CAn't wait - ALOT of time consuming stuff done today.

Last edited by Bahndrvr; 05-19-13 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Pics were thumbnails.
Old 05-19-13, 08:16 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahndrvr
Nice meeting you yesterday Kahn - kind of a fluke that the day I go to locate Grip is a day your over there

Hope to get some stuff moving on this car soon! I'm phening for a faster vehicle - my Truck as you saw is big and slow - just Cruise in it you know - the Car on the other hand is quick and fun - hopeful it will be Fast and funner soon;-)
I missed this post. Yeah, it was a weird coincidence. That day I'd gone over with an R154 front driveshaft to make sure I'd bought the right part. I was just before leaving, too. No justification needed for having a hauler/family vehicle Sometimes I wish I had a small pickup for those days when I can't fit things into my SC

Anyway I can't really claim to be on the fast side of things. Everything about my car modifications are backward. I've swapped everything BUT the engine! I picked up an R154 the other day and bought a 1JZ bellhousing. Once I have all the little things I need for it, out comes the W58 and in that goes with a basic Toyota 7MGTE clutch and pressure plate.
Old 05-20-13, 04:56 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ima have to come by in check out the car when your free
Old 05-20-13, 05:49 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I missed this post. Yeah, it was a weird coincidence. That day I'd gone over with an R154 front driveshaft to make sure I'd bought the right part. I was just before leaving, too. No justification needed for having a hauler/family vehicle Sometimes I wish I had a small pickup for those days when I can't fit things into my SC

Anyway I can't really claim to be on the fast side of things. Everything about my car modifications are backward. I've swapped everything BUT the engine! I picked up an R154 the other day and bought a 1JZ bellhousing. Once I have all the little things I need for it, out comes the W58 and in that goes with a basic Toyota 7MGTE clutch and pressure plate.
If I was in the same boat as you man, I would put that R154 in then NA-T your setup honestly, you can be faster quicker and it's not that crazy - Your car looks pretty damn good BTW.

94_Soarer - once I get it all one color with the rattle can Plasticoat to get it tagged it will start getting driven alot.

In the near future once it is driven and then to the track a few times I will pull the carpet out and die it black - then I won't be embarrased to drive it around;-)

Long way to go but making progress now
Old 05-20-13, 09:37 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bahndrvr
If I was in the same boat as you man, I would put that R154 in then NA-T your setup honestly, you can be faster quicker and it's not that crazy - Your car looks pretty damn good BTW.

94_Soarer - once I get it all one color with the rattle can Plasticoat to get it tagged it will start getting driven alot.

In the near future once it is driven and then to the track a few times I will pull the carpet out and die it black - then I won't be embarrased to drive it around;-)

Long way to go but making progress now
Thank you! Yours is looking good too You're pretty much there on the cosmetic stuff once you get the bumper on and get it painted. Don't worry too much about the interior. I've found that it's easily the most time consuming part of restoring these cars. That and spending more money on performance hardware than looks. You haven't seen my front seats and dashboard

I have to admit I am tempted to give a mild NA-T setup a second look once I have the R154 ready to go in but after studying Ali SC3's and other threads I don't think it's less costly to do it right than swapping in a JDM engine. I still like the 1JZ VVT-i the best for my goals but currently I'm not yet ready to spend on the engine. It also may be that I want to piece together a USDM 2JZGTE setup when all said (yeah, I know-- expensive) and done because my residence here won't be permanent and I may end up back in Cali in a couple of years. Those engine toss-up pros and cons have more to do with where my work takes me rather than the best option for the car and goals unfortunately but such is life

Anyway, that's one reason I opted for an R154 conversion now, so I'd have options. Also I think it's easier to find a less abused 1JZ VVT-i (or Aristo 2JZGTE) engine set for a Soarer once I remove the transmission from the equation. Then I'd just need a manual ECU after the fact.

Anyway, where are you planning to track your car? Orlando Speed World? I've heard from a couple of people that the old Bithlo race track has been closed, which sucks if that's true.
Old 05-20-13, 01:27 PM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

u should uh...redo that that ssqv. its an eyesore
Old 05-20-13, 02:19 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
u should uh...redo that that ssqv. its an eyesore
Thanks but i'm good - put it close to the TB and Son picked out the BOV and the location - it's basically his only input on the build so far - I expect him to get more involved when i get to the funner stuff, like pulling the head, the BC 270's, Head Gasket, Head Studs and Turbo setup;-)

I honestly will probalby switch it out for a Tial when I up the boost because I don't like the Silicone as it bulges under boost....

But for now - it's staying - appreciate the input though
Old 05-20-13, 03:56 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Wax cleaned off - started prep work for Plasticoat - had to stop to go sell my Suburban - got the seat mounts drilled out and realized I made a rookie mistake - GRRRrr - Will fix it later tonight and bolt the seat in the passenger side, will require some more welding LOL.

Damnit

Pic's later.
Old 05-20-13, 05:49 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Thank you! Yours is looking good too You're pretty much there on the cosmetic stuff once you get the bumper on and get it painted. Don't worry too much about the interior. I've found that it's easily the most time consuming part of restoring these cars. That and spending more money on performance hardware than looks. You haven't seen my front seats and dashboard

I have to admit I am tempted to give a mild NA-T setup a second look once I have the R154 ready to go in but after studying Ali SC3's and other threads I don't think it's less costly to do it right than swapping in a JDM engine. I still like the 1JZ VVT-i the best for my goals but currently I'm not yet ready to spend on the engine. It also may be that I want to piece together a USDM 2JZGTE setup when all said (yeah, I know-- expensive) and done because my residence here won't be permanent and I may end up back in Cali in a couple of years. Those engine toss-up pros and cons have more to do with where my work takes me rather than the best option for the car and goals unfortunately but such is life

Anyway, that's one reason I opted for an R154 conversion now, so I'd have options. Also I think it's easier to find a less abused 1JZ VVT-i (or Aristo 2JZGTE) engine set for a Soarer once I remove the transmission from the equation. Then I'd just need a manual ECU after the fact.

Anyway, where are you planning to track your car? Orlando Speed World? I've heard from a couple of people that the old Bithlo race track has been closed, which sucks if that's true.

somehow I missed this post - Bithlo did close - but came back WAY WAY better - actual track prep now and this winter it's getting taken down for Resurfacing - it's awesome now man. New owner has a great plan, he also Has Drift Nights on the Concret Figure 8 setup and is getting alot of people to come out, they have Midnight lock in type races now as well.

I will also road course and autocross the car - I am HARD on cars so I will not mind doing the hard maintenance once it is to an acceptable level, all the bushing will be replaced later but I'm big on Before times - I want Sebring Lap times, ROad Atlanta times etc on current setup then I watn times after the car is gone through so i can compare and I want to see supercar level performance as well;-)

I know for a FACT you don't need 650 hp to do that, but I would like to have multiple tunes and high boost for "dyno" drags and just to surprise people, but ultimatly I want it loud, quick and FuN!
Old 05-20-13, 09:07 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Default Plasti-Coat don't Care

Plasti-Coat don't care if you have been drinking:

Plasti-Coat don't care if it's Monday night and you drank ALOT and have to work in the morning,

Plasti-Coat don't care that your woman told you to take the night off:

Plasti-Coat don't care.

Couldn't take it.

Did a base coast on most of the car, only had two cans so got started after a few beverages, ok quite a few beverages - and the Suburban I sold tonight is in there as well;-)

The rookie mistake in the brackets...

Old 05-31-13, 05:35 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Woman is moving in with me - so spending alot of time on the house and using my truck as a truck lately

Reserves this weekend, kids this weekend and woman is actually moving the last of the stuff over on Saturday. Needless to say, the project work has been slow Have a slew of parts for my truck to go on as well and debadged it about 2 weeks ago and havent' even finished stripping the ghost off the paint yet from lack of symbols all over it and that gay *** pinstripe it had.

Spent a ton of time moving stuff, and bought some shelves and assembled and put in teh Garage so the garage is about 75% done and I bought supplies to tape up the windows, cover the rims, and about 6 more cans of Plasticoat, wanting to get it all taped up and sitting in the middle of the two car garage and get to spraying it soon, can't wait to tag it and get some mileage and track time in it

Updates when I get some time to spend on the truck
Old 06-06-13, 11:24 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

More small progress - but had to work on the house and the daily driver a bit.

Old 06-06-13, 12:21 PM
KahnBB6

Looking better with each posting!

Quick Reply: Bahndrvr's Build Thread - 92 SC300 1JZ-GTE VVTI