Bahndrvr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Looking better with each posting!
Thanks,

You know the old Saying:

Good from Far, but Far from Good.

I'm proud to report that after a taping session - it's all taped off, and now the 5 colors are Now just 2, 2 shades of black.

I just did the first coat on all the chrome, gold, red, purple, and black to get it all to either Plastic-coat black, or the crappy repaint from before black.

It will stay this way till I can back it out of the garage on a sunny, hot day, and go through the 5 remaining cans of Plastic-coat that i have left. I'm happy with it now.

Getting frustrated with how long it is taking me to tag it - I mean I could go tomorrow but I don't want to drive it around till I'm happy with the appearance to a certain extent. will be raising the front back up, maybe putting that lip back on it, and then mouting turn signals and plasticoating it all the next day I get a good 3-4 hours. Then maybe it will get driven and the little mods/tinkering will start coming with more purpose.

Can't wait for track time.

Old 06-10-13, 06:28 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Well,

I was going to have a constant flow of parts for sale on here, but now i will just do Craigslist and Ebay - so don't look for any hookup prices on interior parts, differentials, or any other parts from this site.

Over 60 post now and they closed the for sale ad - I will pass - I understand rules, but been a forum poster since 1996 - Ebay Member since 1998 - No negative and I have to have a vouch on here. It's all good, just a rant by me. Anyone local wants some parts when I start listing the slew of extras I have let me know. Just sat out to the curb Stock seats, stock dented hood, stock drivers side fender.
Old 07-16-13, 05:13 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Grr - my photobucket account is gone So all of htose pic's will be readded - and under my new photobucket account - but doesn't seem i can go back and edit them in.

So - from Page 5 forward should start having pic's again.

Great news other than that though.

She is getting finished and tagged this week. Will lift front back up - adjust suspension - then clean out the trunk - put most of the interior back together, and then plasticoat Almost the remainder of the car, secure bumper more and go

Bout time
Old 07-19-13, 07:38 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

WEll - she is Tagged and Legal

Going to try to see if the rain will hold out to see if I can get to the Track tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out that it wasn't my new BOV that was limiting boost, i had changed the setting on the Blitz boost controller, bput it back to Setting one and BAM 16psi. WEll not immediatly - I had pulled onto the road and hit 14 then blew the stupid hose off the intercooler. limped it out of the middle of the raod and found it - then I couldn't go over 5psi without bogging, limped it to the alignment place - another story here that Pisses me off - and left it for alignment.

They didn't do the freaking alignment - said bad passenger side tie rod - after hvaing it for 2 hours - GRRRR.

I'm thinking I'm still limping it ot the track tonight - may just drive over on Drag radials - if I'm going i have about 45 inutes worth of prep work to do and the window module that I got for the passenger side is not working - that %120 bucks ther and now I have ot pay for return shipping.

Have to contact seller today

I could go on and on, but moral is - well the last picture will be a vid - and it will show you 16psi. And then the BOV quickly as well.

She's Quick.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/albums/...pse4147d0f.mp4

or

Last edited by Bahndrvr; 07-19-13 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Vid didn't work
Old 07-19-13, 11:53 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Sounds and looks great, man! Is that the new turbo? I thought you'd removed your CT15B and put it up for sale.

btw, you might find this interesting: in town there is a gas station selling non-ethanol 93. You might get a bit of a difference given your ECU tune since you're getting awfully close to track time now.

I wish I already had that rush you've got from the go-pedal already I'm getting very close to doing my R154 swap soon. Just a few more parts left to buy. I may get it rebuilt with MC parts first but I haven't decided.

Keep up the good work! It's starting to get interesting
Old 07-19-13, 12:15 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Getting alignment now!!!

Kahn it's definitely there and that ct15b was my spare. The spare auto is up for sale as well, looking like I got a bum buyer on the turbo on eBay as well...

It hit 18psi a few mins ago, wish I had that tranny your sitting on!
Old 07-19-13, 12:58 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bahndrvr
Getting alignment now!!!

Kahn it's definitely there and that ct15b was my spare. The spare auto is up for sale as well, looking like I got a bum buyer on the turbo on eBay as well...

It hit 18psi a few mins ago, wish I had that tranny your sitting on!
Ah! Sorry to hear you had bad ebayer. Honestly I wish I were planning to use your type of engine because I'd buy it from you.

As far as the transmission, I know you'll pick one of these up before long Believe me, the stock manual transmission (and the 4.27 Torsen rear) is the biggest reason I've been tolerant of my car's lack of truly serious power for almost three years.

That was 18 psi? How much pressure are you looking hit, realistically? You're still planning on a pump gas tune, correct?
Old 07-19-13, 03:23 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Ah! Sorry to hear you had bad ebayer. Honestly I wish I were planning to use your type of engine because I'd buy it from you.

As far as the transmission, I know you'll pick one of these up before long Believe me, the stock manual transmission (and the 4.27 Torsen rear) is the biggest reason I've been tolerant of my car's lack of truly serious power for almost three years.

That was 18 psi? How much pressure are you looking hit, realistically? You're still planning on a pump gas tune, correct?

No those were 16psi and then it drops to about 14psi through majority of the gears, it just hit 18 psi earlier due to the weather cooling off I think. I'm planning on running the **** out of it right now and getting as much as I can. Budget is pretty much killed for a while, about to buy an engagment ring, then put a roof on my house and put it up for sale. Next house will hopefully have more land and a seperate shop out in the boonies somewhere with no HOA, if that happens i will have a lift in the garage

Anyway I have that spare diff and will lincoln lock that soon as that's free, I have all the stuff just need time, and I thnk it's a 4.27 so may not run it long depending on how the ET Streets hold the power, but it would be scary in the rain wiht the power it has now.

I would be interested in running your car as it is right now though... Just to see what a minimally modded 1JZ-GTE VVTI with boost up a bit, auto tranny and APexi Neo on it to help the air/fuel. No tune yet and will not get one till I get the bigger turbo. I'm having a blast with it at this level, just want to get it consisently in the 12's before i go through major changes. unless i blow the tranny, this is the stronger one though so may not happen with the massive timing cut i have between shifts.
Old 07-19-13, 03:50 PM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Few vids from on the way home, still learning he car and amazed at the drivablilty of it - remember, this is basically the first time i've driven it

or
http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Tr...b224d.mp4.html

or
http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Tr...5aad3.mp4.html

Last edited by Bahndrvr; 07-20-13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 10:21 PM
KahnBB6

No those were 16psi and then it drops to about 14psi through majority of the gears, it just hit 18 psi earlier due to the weather cooling off I think. I'm planning on running the **** out of it right now and getting as much as I can. Budget is pretty much killed for a while, about to buy an engagment ring, then put a roof on my house and put it up for sale. Next house will hopefully have more land and a seperate shop out in the boonies somewhere with no HOA, if that happens i will have a lift in the garage

Anyway I have that spare diff and will lincoln lock that soon as that's free, I have all the stuff just need time, and I thnk it's a 4.27 so may not run it long depending on how the ET Streets hold the power, but it would be scary in the rain wiht the power it has now.

I would be interested in running your car as it is right now though... Just to see what a minimally modded 1JZ-GTE VVTI with boost up a bit, auto tranny and APexi Neo on it to help the air/fuel. No tune yet and will not get one till I get the bigger turbo. I'm having a blast with it at this level, just want to get it consisently in the 12's before i go through major changes. unless i blow the tranny, this is the stronger one though so may not happen with the massive timing cut i have between shifts.

Your engagement ring purchase is a LOT more important than the next car project. That's really awesome! As for the house plans, I like your style. Always nice to live a in a place bit out of the way. There used to be some cool mostly undeveloped places past 192/Wickham a while back. I don't know what it's like out there now. I digress.

I hear you on a shot budget. I'm nearly there myself which is why I'm hesitant on rebuilding my new transmission before swapping it in. For now I don't think 210ft-lbs @ 4800 is going to hurt the factory weak thrust washer and I need the thing installed in the next couple of months to move again. Note for the future though: in your case with your existing power and goals I highly recommend you don't chance anything and rebuild the R154 you buy with all the main MC parts before installing it. Finding a 1JZ-VVT manual non-DBW ECU will clear up your boost cut between shifts when the time comes.

Your car undoubtedly has a 4.27 rear end since it started as an automatic and stayed auto. What ratio spare do you have? I don't recommend welding it but, again, I hear you on needing to cool off for a bit. You mentioned your tires and rain-- that does make me concerned. I had a couple of bad experiences with BFG KDW's with my 4.27 Torsen diff back in Cali. I switched to BFG Comp2's and went with a "Lance Alignment" and it solved the issue. With your power level on those ET Street compounds I'd be careful.

You may laugh but in the future I'm strongly considering wiring in the Supra TT traction control ECU to my GTE engine swap harness. 5-speeds never had the option of TRAC. There is also an aftermarket traction control ECU made by RaceLogic in England that is a bit smarter than Toyota's overly aggressive system. All things that would give me a little more confidence in rainy conditions. For now though, no traction control with no turbo is fine.

The 200mm diff pumpkin will handle a lot of power by design but the semi-slicks and welded diff may put a lot of stress on the A340E. Then again, that box went behind 2JZGTE's so I dunno. It'll be fun regardless!

As far as running my car... do you mean seeing how they'd match up from a standstill? Simple: Yours would kill me, end of story But sure, why not? I'd love to see how yours runs too. I've got a short geared and "quick" SC but your mildly BPU'd 1JZ automatic is still going to pull ahead easily. Your sig even says you've run 12.78

I've got to turn in for now. Looking forward to more of your progress!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-19-13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-20-13, 08:17 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

"Your engagement ring purchase is a LOT more important than the next car project. That's really awesome! As for the house plans, I like your style. Always nice to live a in a place bit out of the way. There used to be some cool mostly undeveloped places past 192/Wickham a while back. I don't know what it's like out there now. I digress."

Thanks man, I was raised on alot of land in La, and then bought a nice house here with pool and 2 car garage near Wickam park, but not digging it and planning on expanding the family soon as well so want more land, and no neighbors right on top of me, got talked to one night about welding in my own garage at 930pm, got pissed and have wanted to leave since, house is in the positive right now so I stand to make out more than likely on it, here's hoping As for the ring, got a good one, and I never thought i would get married again but this woman gets me, and I get her like I never experienced before. Truth be known i would give up all toys for her in a heartbeat, but she knows I need to do two things - Run, and Tinker, if I have those two I'm straight, but you throw in racing and I'm in heaven Nice to find someone that puts as much into a relationship as me, planning on keeping her around forever if I can

"I hear you on a shot budget. I'm nearly there myself which is why I'm hesitant on rebuilding my new transmission before swapping it in. For now I don't think 210ft-lbs @ 4800 is going to hurt the factory weak thrust washer and I need the thing installed in the next couple of months to move again. Note for the future though: in your case with your existing power and goals I highly recommend you don't chance anything and rebuild the R154 you buy with all the main MC parts before installing it. Finding a 1JZ-VVT manual non-DBW ECU will clear up your boost cut between shifts when the time comes.

Your car undoubtedly has a 4.27 rear end since it started as an automatic and stayed auto. What ratio spare do you have? I don't recommend welding it but, again, I hear you on needing to cool off for a bit. You mentioned your tires and rain-- that does make me concerned. I had a couple of bad experiences with BFG KDW's with my 4.27 Torsen diff back in Cali. I switched to BFG Comp2's and went with a "Lance Alignment" and it solved the issue. With your power level on those ET Street compounds I'd be careful."

I will have ot look at the lance alignment in a bit, but for now i'm happy, they coudn't get it perfect but they got it close, and it handles like it is on rails, now that it is aligned I will mess with the body panels as i read these cars stay out of adjustment till aligned, I think i can get the hood and fenders to line up a bit better. I a ctually just put the fuse back i nthe TRAC around 8 last night, will see how it does as I was getting pretty severe 1 wheel peel. I have actually lincoln locked 600hp cars and/or extremely geared trucks while 4wheeling which amplifies the load with good luck, I'm not doing the simple spider gear, i'm going to plate weld it so if anything bust it will be tranny or the actual ring and pinion The tires on the back for the street are some Suuper sticky Hancooks and are very nice, brand new toyo's up front with a mild stretch, but I plan on autocrossing, road coursing and Sebringing this sucker soon As for the spare diff, it's out of an SC400 - so what would that ratio be, if it's 4.11 or in the 3's I would be soooo happy honestly. And I found out this thing isn't going into overdrive on the highway now because the speedo isn't working, so have to fix that soon. i'm also not worried about the tranny yet, if I go Tomei before the tranny swap, Then i would be worried....

"You may laugh but in the future I'm strongly considering wiring in the Supra TT traction control ECU to my GTE engine swap harness. 5-speeds never had the option of TRAC. There is also an aftermarket traction control ECU made by RaceLogic in England that is a bit smarter than Toyota's overly aggressive system. All things that would give me a little more confidence in rainy conditions. For now though, no traction control with no turbo is fine.

The 200mm diff pumpkin will handle a lot of power by design but the semi-slicks and welded diff may put a lot of stress on the A340E. Then again, that box went behind 2JZGTE's so I dunno. It'll be fun regardless!"

"As far as running my car... do you mean seeing how they'd match up from a standstill? Simple: Yours would kill me, end of story But sure, why not? I'd love to see how yours runs too. I've got a short geared and "quick" SC but your mildly BPU'd 1JZ automatic is still going to pull ahead easily. Your sig even says you've run 12.78

I've got to turn in for now. Looking forward to more of your progress!"

Yeap - Previous owner - Mike ran that 12.78 on water meth, at 16 psi - car has been that fast, but i haven't did that yet, was hoping to get into the 12's without the water meth, and I lightened the car, have better slicks now, and I like to think i'm pretty good at the track;-) Was really looking forward to last night but the rain wasn't

I was saying running you as is right now as well - I have had alot of cars - 30+, but this one is probalby my favorite, drives so docile when you want it with a beautiful spool sound at part throttle, but get on it and it's Pissed off - I'm acctually LOVEING it with the Auto because it's soo ready to go. It will without a doubt be faster with the manual though because no 16 degree timing cut while in boost for like 2-3 seconds, takes foever to shift I do want to see how they do though, I do think it will put some car lengths on you quickly, would like to see how I do against the pretty modified 1JZ non vvti that's running around near the base as well.
Old 07-22-13, 12:20 AM
KahnBB6

Thanks man, I was raised on alot of land in La, and then bought a nice house here with pool and 2 car garage near Wickam park, but not digging it and planning on expanding the family soon as well so want more land, and no neighbors right on top of me, got talked to one night about welding in my own garage at 930pm, got pissed and have wanted to leave since, house is in the positive right now so I stand to make out more than likely on it, here's hoping As for the ring, got a good one, and I never thought i would get married again but this woman gets me, and I get her like I never experienced before. Truth be known i would give up all toys for her in a heartbeat, but she knows I need to do two things - Run, and Tinker, if I have those two I'm straight, but you throw in racing and I'm in heaven Nice to find someone that puts as much into a relationship as me, planning on keeping her around forever if I can
Good man It sounds like you've found that rare woman that doesn't come along often in life and that, my friend, is a very special and good thing indeed-- especially when mutual hobbies are understood. I have a really wonderful woman in my life too who gets me that way and vice versa.

Interesting you say you were raised in L.A. I was raised here and eventually moved to L.A. after college for five years and now will be moving back there before the end of the year. Certainly there is a big difference culturally and buying a house with some space and a garage let alone having some boonies to yourself is ridiculous there. I've seen it change here over the years and you definitely moved (I assume in recent years?) at the right time.

I'm surprised you had noise complaints out there near Wickham. I thought it was somewhat sparse but maybe it's become crowded over the years. I often tinker in my garage late at night (no welding though) and I was sure I upset some of my L.A. neighbors working on my SC and my roommate's old Mercedes well into 12am-1am on some nights in our garage.

You'll find a good place soon enough.

I will have ot look at the lance alignment in a bit, but for now i'm happy, they coudn't get it perfect but they got it close, and it handles like it is on rails, now that it is aligned I will mess with the body panels as i read these cars stay out of adjustment till aligned, I think i can get the hood and fenders to line up a bit better.
I didn't know that but it makes a lot of sense given the wheelbase and length of the doors and hood.

I highly recommend one particular technician at Toyota of Melbourne. He looked at my Lance alignment specs (from MKIV.com) and we had a lengthy discussion about what I was using the car for and rightly felt the full Lance settings are more oriented for a road racing car rather than a 90% street duty car. He played with the Lance numbers and did an excellent hybrid setting sheet for me that I'm very happy with. He used to work for the old Rathman Chevrolet (now defunct) dealership mainly on Corvettes and he road races a 97 Camaro SS 6-speed. I'll have to dig out my receipt to get you his name.

The rear suspension in the SC is still different enough that you won't be able to replicate the aggressive negative camber that the Lance calls for, basically but it can be gotten very, very close. Also, I am running a '96 Supra TT sway bar in a different mounting position than the original SC300 bar. That affects the numbers a bit.

I actually just put the fuse back i nthe TRAC around 8 last night, will see how it does as I was getting pretty severe 1 wheel peel. I have actually lincoln locked 600hp cars and/or extremely geared trucks while 4wheeling which amplifies the load with good luck, I'm not doing the simple spider gear, i'm going to plate weld it so if anything bust it will be tranny or the actual ring and pinion The tires on the back for the street are some Suuper sticky Hancooks and are very nice, brand new toyo's up front with a mild stretch, but I plan on autocrossing, road coursing and Sebringing this sucker soon As for the spare diff, it's out of an SC400 - so what would that ratio be, if it's 4.11 or in the 3's I would be soooo happy honestly. And I found out this thing isn't going into overdrive on the highway now because the speedo isn't working, so have to fix that soon. i'm also not worried about the tranny yet, if I go Tomei before the tranny swap, Then i would be worried....
An SC400 diff will be a 3.92:1 ratio unless it's a 98-00 diff in which case it would be 3.26:1. For a 4.08:1 you'd need one from an SC300 5-speed, 97-98 Supra NA 5-speed or Auto, or a GS300 from (I THINK) 96-97. Or a Soarer 1JZ Manual diff. I see what you're saying about the locking modification you'll be doing. It sounds a bit like the system Phantom Grip makes for Acura Legend 5/6-speeds-- although that's a removable set of plates.

I've wanted to autocross in this car but haven't had the time now that it's set up properly. Road racing, however, is supposed to be its stronger suit like the MKIV Supra.

Yeap - Previous owner - Mike ran that 12.78 on water meth, at 16 psi - car has been that fast, but i haven't did that yet, was hoping to get into the 12's without the water meth, and I lightened the car, have better slicks now, and I like to think i'm pretty good at the track;-) Was really looking forward to last night but the rain wasn't
I love the rain we've been getting. With my lack of power it makes for some very fun and mild controllable tail-out fun LOL. I think you'll do better than that time assuming good weather and the lightness of your seats versus the old ones. Come winter time especially. I have zero track experience personally but I know it's not as simple as it looks. Still, you're looking into the Tomei kit soon aren't you? HKS sounds like they have a good kit as well but it's a lot more than the $1300 the other one costs you. I'm really curious if their flow efficiency truly does limit to around 500-600hp.

I was saying running you as is right now as well - I have had alot of cars - 30+, but this one is probalby my favorite, drives so docile when you want it with a beautiful spool sound at part throttle, but get on it and it's Pissed off - I'm acctually LOVEING it with the Auto because it's soo ready to go. It will without a doubt be faster with the manual though because no 16 degree timing cut while in boost for like 2-3 seconds, takes foever to shift I do want to see how they do though, I do think it will put some car lengths on you quickly, would like to see how I do against the pretty modified 1JZ non vvti that's running around near the base as well.
Put it that way, sure We can find some time in the near future. This is one of my favorite cars too. I haven't owned as many as you have but I've driven many and of the cars I've owned this is my second favorite but my top choice in a car that covers all the bases of a performance DD/GT. I believe you car is a lot of fun as is These cars in automatic form with turbos remind me of Buick GN's but much improved. Love those cars too and not a manual to be found. You'll pick up a lot of time when you go manual but I say again when you do to plan on a full rebuild to make sure you can have worry-free operation at the track.

You'll put some car lengths on me off the line because of your low end torque (love the 1JZ VVT engine for that). My tight gearing will get me moving quickly but I have to shift sooner even if I can do it faster than you can with the auto. I don't think you'll be disappointed for the comparison. The funny thing is that most NA 5-speed guys who stay NA don't seem to like 4.27 gearing vs the anemic stock 4.08. I definitely think my Torsen helps as well but the on-paper gains don't read as impressive whereas I've found it just feels much better in the real world for an NA SC. I never have any dead spots in my power band vs the 4.08.

Still, you'll put plenty of space on me

As for the other car you mentioned, again, your strong point with your VVT-i is the impressive torque peak at 2400rpm. You make all your launch torque far sooner than he will. I don't know the car though so I can't say.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-22-13 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-23-13, 06:26 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

Common misunderstanding, i'm from La - the State - not L.A. the city

255 acres, 4 wheelers, lakes, hunting and fishing were all my upbringing
Old 07-23-13, 06:55 AM
Bahndrvr
Driver

BTW - daily driving it now, and getting pretty aggressive in the driving - this thing will do doughnuts so good, and while it's first instinct is to overwhelm one tire, it will kick it out and let it hang after a few doughnuts - Love the smoke, fixed the moon-roof last night and SO nice to have more air flowing through the car.

Falling in love with this setup
Old 07-23-13, 03:51 PM
KahnBB6

Common misunderstanding, i'm from La - the State - not L.A. the city

255 acres, 4 wheelers, lakes, hunting and fishing were all my upbringing
My mistake I've seen some of Louisiana some years ago. Mostly New Orleans and historical areas thereabouts. I loved it. Beautiful country.

BTW - daily driving it now, and getting pretty aggressive in the driving - this thing will do doughnuts so good, and while it's first instinct is to overwhelm one tire, it will kick it out and let it hang after a few doughnuts - Love the smoke, fixed the moon-roof last night and SO nice to have more air flowing through the car.

Falling in love with this setup
Okay, sometime soon I have to see this. It sounds great and still you're only on the stock turbo.

It's really amazing how much potential is in the SC gen1 chassis by design that Lexus deliberately tried to detune. Glad to hear the car is getting some drive time every day. These cars that love to be on the road

Quick Reply: Bahndrvr's Build Thread - 92 SC300 1JZ-GTE VVTI