Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS460 owner vehicles

Jayhoang's LS460L Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13 | 08:59 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Originally Posted by Grouchy
So pretty much the OTG kit is for people who want to ride comfortably slammed at all times? Anyone know the actual comfort level between the two? I would like the option to ride low, med, high whenever I felt like it. But if its not that huge of a difference, I wouldn't want to pay an additional 1800-2000 for the OTG kit. I imagine the OTG kit with accuair + installation would cost an arm and 2 legs.
^^^ This and it also allows the car to get lower when air'd out vs the basic model. As far as comfort level it is all based on where the sweet spot is when inflated. Obviously if your air pressure is high than you will have a bouncy ride and if too low than to stiff. Its finding that sweet spot that will allow you to riding comfortable. So the huge difference between the two is how low you want to ride with being comfortable. The OTG kit will allow you to ride lower than the basic kit would while still providing the comfort. I had the basic kit on my previous car and the OTG kit now and it is a huge difference in ride height comparison. The price for OTG and accuair was worthy every penny. If i had to do it again on another car it would be OTG with accuair no doubt.
Old 03-27-13 | 10:53 AM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
^^^ This and it also allows the car to get lower when air'd out vs the basic model. As far as comfort level it is all based on where the sweet spot is when inflated. Obviously if your air pressure is high than you will have a bouncy ride and if too low than to stiff. Its finding that sweet spot that will allow you to riding comfortable. So the huge difference between the two is how low you want to ride with being comfortable. The OTG kit will allow you to ride lower than the basic kit would while still providing the comfort. I had the basic kit on my previous car and the OTG kit now and it is a huge difference in ride height comparison. The price for OTG and accuair was worthy every penny. If i had to do it again on another car it would be OTG with accuair no doubt.
I'm not quite sure how the OTG kit can make you drive lower when there is a certain point (depending on wheel circumference) that you have before hitting the inner fenders? I have JIC coilovers and UAS bags and I'm on 22's and drive with 245 30 F / 295 25 R tires tucked and its pretty comfy except for your time to time uneven pavement it can jar the car a bit, also I'm running 90spi front bags and 75 psi rear bags with 50psi in my all 4 tires (this is my Sweet Spot).

So with that info on 22's I dont think there would be enough room under the fenders especially the front since you cant turn the wheel if your tucking "rim" possibly unless your running a very weak offset wheel and small size like a 9 or 8.5??

Not to bash on Air Runner they are great! never owned them but some of my club members are running them and they love them! But I cant bring myself to spend an additional $2k+ on them when you can get your own choice of coilovers and practically indestructible UAS bags and have just as comfortable ride and height adjustment (with Accu Air unit) as OTG or other Air Runner units.

This is all just my own opinion from owning coilover set up to AccuAir eleveling set up, and bags over stock struts, and bags over coilovers. Plus if ever anything goes wrong with the UAS unit at least its here in the USA to fix not in Japan...But the staight Bolt on application of the Air Runner is nice=) Hope this helps my CL friends!

For Reference: Here is my rear fitment. its from 0psi to 70psi my drive height, you can see I'm tucking tire so to drive tucking rim on 22's no way you would bash the hell out of your inner fender wall! IMO

Last edited by BPVIP; 03-27-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-27-13 | 11:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

looks great. When you really bring her down it just accents how aggressive the wheel fitment is. Love it !
Old 03-27-13 | 06:57 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Originally Posted by BPVIP
I'm not quite sure how the OTG kit can make you drive lower when there is a certain point (depending on wheel circumference) that you have before hitting the inner fenders? I have JIC coilovers and UAS bags and I'm on 22's and drive with 245 30 F / 295 25 R tires tucked and its pretty comfy except for your time to time uneven pavement it can jar the car a bit, also I'm running 90spi front bags and 75 psi rear bags with 50psi in my all 4 tires (this is my Sweet Spot).

So with that info on 22's I dont think there would be enough room under the fenders especially the front since you cant turn the wheel if your tucking "rim" possibly unless your running a very weak offset wheel and small size like a 9 or 8.5??

Not to bash on Air Runner they are great! never owned them but some of my club members are running them and they love them! But I cant bring myself to spend an additional $2k+ on them when you can get your own choice of coilovers and practically indestructible UAS bags and have just as comfortable ride and height adjustment (with Accu Air unit) as OTG or other Air Runner units.

This is all just my own opinion from owning coilover set up to AccuAir eleveling set up, and bags over stock struts, and bags over coilovers. Plus if ever anything goes wrong with the UAS unit at least its here in the USA to fix not in Japan...But the staight Bolt on application of the Air Runner is nice=) Hope this helps my CL friends!

For Reference: Here is my rear fitment. its from 0psi to 70psi my drive height, you can see I'm tucking tire so to drive tucking rim on 22's no way you would bash the hell out of your inner fender wall! IMO
The OTG kit allows you to find the sweet spot lower thus allowing you to ride lower. Yes wheel size and offsets play a crucial factor when doing so. Most here are on 22's but for those like me that are on 21's the body on my car will ride 1" lower to those on 22's. But with suspension arms, I am now able to pull more camber to ride lower and have clearance while still maintaining a comfortable ride.

Also Air Runners are manufactured in Japan but Shin at Air Runner in California is more than capable of replacing a blown bag or strut if it goes bad. Shin and Samson do a lot of r&d for cars that are only found in the US and then the product is made in Japan, they both are very knowledgeable in air suspension or suspension in general.
Old 03-27-13 | 07:33 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

I think the difference between uas on coils and otg is with uas on coils you can lower the height of the bag while inflated at let's say 90 psi but lowering the collar of the coilover strut also reduces the amount of travel the strut has. Like i said in a previous post it's like lowering your coilovers...at a certain point the comfort is compromise because you've gone too low. The spring stays at a constant spring rate. With the otg kit the bag pressure and amount of strut travel is seperate from the height adjustibility of the entire thing. So let's say you have your otg at 90 psi you can adjust the height of the bag and strut together. so that stays constant. the collars on otg are at the bottom of the assembly.

Last edited by lbintab; 03-27-13 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-28-13 | 12:07 AM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lbintab
I think the difference between uas on coils and otg is with uas on coils you can lower the height of the bag while inflated at let's say 90 psi but lowering the collar of the coilover strut also reduces the amount of travel the strut has. Like i said in a previous post it's like lowering your coilovers...at a certain point the comfort is compromise because you've gone too low. The spring stays at a constant spring rate. With the otg kit the bag pressure and amount of strut travel is seperate from the height adjustibility of the entire thing. So let's say you have your otg at 90 psi you can adjust the height of the bag and strut together. so that stays constant. the collars on otg are at the bottom of the assembly.

Thanks for this, good to know!
Old 03-28-13 | 06:30 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Good discussion! Thanks guys.

Anyways another update - I've been going back and forth between Mark over at RavSpec regarding air options. He's been super helpful and I've finally been able to piece something together. It's tough since I'm in Canada - I either can't find someone who can get air suspension parts and if I do, the prices are extremely inflated.

After a bunch of research on Air Runner's OTG kit and UAS over coils, I've come to the conclusion that it's difficult to find an overwhelming number of advantages or cons over one another to make a strong decision.

AR is great because it's assembled, the shocks and bags are of great quality by Firestone and KYB I believe and they are parts made in Japan. The downside of course is the price - being almost $2000+ more than a UAS set up.

UAS is the only other reasonable option (excluding Airrex, cups, etc). Pairing great quality bags with whatever coilover you want is awesome IMO. If my system ever fails or I feel like upgrading pieces - then that option is available. The downside to this is it is put together on your own, so there is room for failure/mess up. Obviously if you know what you're doing, then no problem.

Ultimately - I went with the UAS set up over BC coils paired with Accuair e-level and the touchpad, 5 gal tank, and two Viair compressors. Hoping to receive this in about two weeks or so to compliment the new SSR's. I'll be selling the PS suspension controller soon.
Old 03-28-13 | 10:29 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayhoang

Anyways another update - I've been going back and forth between Mark over at RavSpec regarding air options. He's been super helpful and I've finally been able to piece something together. It's tough since I'm in Canada - I either can't find someone who can get air suspension parts and if I do, the prices are extremely inflated.

After a bunch of research on Air Runner's OTG kit and UAS over coils, I've come to the conclusion that it's difficult to find an overwhelming number of advantages or cons over one another to make a strong decision.

AR is great because it's assembled, the shocks and bags are of great quality by Firestone and KYB I believe and they are parts made in Japan. The downside of course is the price - being almost $2000+ more than a UAS set up.

UAS is the only other reasonable option (excluding Airrex, cups, etc). Pairing great quality bags with whatever coilover you want is awesome IMO. If my system ever fails or I feel like upgrading pieces - then that option is available. The downside to this is it is put together on your own, so there is room for failure/mess up. Obviously if you know what you're doing, then no problem.

Ultimately - I went with the UAS set up over BC coils paired with Accuair e-level and the touchpad, 5 gal tank, and two Viair compressors. Hoping to receive this in about two weeks or so to compliment the new SSR's. I'll be selling the PS suspension controller soon.
Do you mind if I ask how much you're paying for that UAS/coil setup? Isn't the OTG kit vs UAS/coilover kit more like a $4000 dollar difference? Because the basic and otg kit is another 1600 difference. I'm doing a lot of research on bags too, I'm just trying to find a reason to justify paying $8000 (assuming otg + accuair + installation) for the otg kit.
Old 03-28-13 | 11:06 AM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Do your research on Compressors Viaair are known to have check values that leak often one of mine is leaking so every morning they have to refill my tank so later im going to replace them with
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...FSGqPAod3kIA1Q

Heard great things about these and no issues and every part is swapable so you can easily rebuild it yourself unlike the Viaair which if you try to fix it it voids the warranty.
Old 03-28-13 | 11:53 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Do you mind if I ask how much you're paying for that UAS/coil setup? Isn't the OTG kit vs UAS/coilover kit more like a $4000 dollar difference? Because the basic and otg kit is another 1600 difference. I'm doing a lot of research on bags too, I'm just trying to find a reason to justify paying $8000 (assuming otg + accuair + installation) for the otg kit.
Check RavSpec's special on all the systems. It's $3699 for everything. I added another compressor for $200.

They have the AR setup for a little over $5000 if I remember correctly.

The price difference varies depending on where you go to get the system. Yes, I've seen the difference of up to $4000 but if you ask around, you can usually get it for cheaper.

Do your research on Compressors Viaair are known to have check values that leak often one of mine is leaking so every morning they have to refill my tank so later im going to replace them with
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...FSGqPAod3kIA1Q

Heard great things about these and no issues and every part is swapable so you can easily rebuild it yourself unlike the Viaair which if you try to fix it it voids the warranty.
Thanks.
I've ready about some Viair issues and I know Air Zenith is a better compressor. However at the same time, I don't seem to find so many issues where they aren't reliable at all. I'll see how it goes!
Old 04-01-13 | 07:36 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Back on topic...
Did the first spring detailing this weekend. Stage 1 polish and it took forever since this thing is the size of the Titanic. I will continue again in the coming weeks...

This will seem familiar to you guys - especially the headlight part. I spent more time sanding down a lot of the pitting again and now it's almost perfect. Going to make another pass and repolish with a heavier compound polish.

Some pitting and scratches still. Hard to see...

Emblem was also pitted and hazy

Again - 1000 grit first for about 5 minutes with soap and water.

This is what it looks like after 1000 grit

After 2000 grit

Other side after both passes

Polished up with Chemical Guys Cut 1.0. Lookin' fancy again

Pitting and scratches are completely gone and as smooth as a baby's bottom

The polish

The rear after being polished

The emblem after wetsanding and polishing

My favourite wax - P21S

Hood all waxed up

Exhaust outlet cleaning

Used this

Second pass. I apologize - I swear I took a final shot of it cleaned up. I guess not

After the wax was applied, I washed it one more time to get rid of any dusting from the polish and extra dirt

Stage 1 polish done for now.

There's still a little bit of swirls left that I have to take another pass over. I'll be going over the interior again and conditioning the leather, deodorizing the carpets and cleaning the suede headliner just because. lol
Old 04-01-13 | 07:46 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

looks good man. when i was in CO, I hated this time of year...perfect day out for a drive and a wash just to have it destroyed by snow melt run off on the roads mixed with sand/salt FTL!!
Old 04-01-13 | 07:51 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
looks good man. when i was in CO, I hated this time of year...perfect day out for a drive and a wash just to have it destroyed by snow melt run off on the roads mixed with sand/salt FTL!!
Thanks man!
Yeah that's what I'm dealing with now... lol It's so brutal

Question for you guys - what lug nuts are you guys all using for your aftermarket wheels? The lug sizing on the LS is lame so I can't use the regular lugs everyone else uses...
Old 04-01-13 | 08:13 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Good job with the detailing, I also did mine recently and it took forever, cause it's such a big car. I'm using Gorilla lugs, I wish we had more options.

Last edited by datplayaz; 04-01-13 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-01-13 | 09:04 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Thanks man!
Yeah that's what I'm dealing with now... lol It's so brutal

Question for you guys - what lug nuts are you guys all using for your aftermarket wheels? The lug sizing on the LS is lame so I can't use the regular lugs everyone else uses...
This is posted in the Wheel and Tire info thread my dude haha.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7047813-post22.html

Quick Reply: Jayhoang's LS460L Build Thread