Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Bob4256's SGM Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 05:10 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dorkacho
on a side note, why would it eat thru faster?

and i thought the drilled ones can disipate heat faster?
Honestly, I cant tell you the specific reason. Search for "rotor" in the suspension and brakes section and you can find a couple posts about it.

They do cool the brakes faster, but the drilled holes can cause cracking under heavy braking. But as long as your not tracking the car, want it for looks, and can live with less pad life, then you wont have any problems with slotted/drilled rotors

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Possibly when im due for brakes
Thats what I said too lol. Then I needed pads, and then found a great deal on 350 calipers so I couldnt wait any longer
Old 05-01-13, 06:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If you care to know... generally speaking holes can cause cracking due to a higher stress concentration. A part will be the strongest when the stress can be distributed as evenly as possibly across the area of the part, however geometric discontinuities (such as holes, sharp corners, changes in cross sectional area, etc) result in an increase in stress in that particular area. These areas of increased stress can cause a material to fail if the stress exceeds the strength of that material. Fatigue cracks always start at stress concentration points.

I doubt the cracking seen on most drilled rotors are actually through the entire face of the rotor. I would assume they are more or less surface type defects... just an assumption though as I have no real world experience with them.

I'm no expert in rotors in particular, but at one point in time I did learn about this in various engineering classes, so that is all I can really remember haha

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-01-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 07:02 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dorkacho
on a side note, why would it eat thru faster?

and i thought the drilled ones can disipate heat faster?
Originally Posted by bob4256
Honestly, I cant tell you the specific reason. Search for "rotor" in the suspension and brakes section and you can find a couple posts about it.

They do cool the brakes faster, but the drilled holes can cause cracking under heavy braking. But as long as your not tracking the car, want it for looks, and can live with less pad life, then you wont have any problems with slotted/drilled rotors
I believe they eat through pads faster because of the uneven surface.

And as far as dissipating heat, it's not noticeable unless you're doing a lot of prolonged heavy braking. In which case, you'd be better off with rotors that are slotted only. Almost the same heat dissipation, but they're stronger than slotted and drilled rotors.
Old 05-01-13, 07:05 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
If you care to know... generally speaking holes can cause cracking due to a higher stress concentration. A part will be the strongest when the stress can be distributed as evenly as possibly across the area of the part, however geometric discontinuities (such as holes, sharp corners, changes in cross sectional area, etc) result in an increase in stress in that particular area. These areas of increased stress can cause a material to fail if the stress exceeds the strength of that material. Fatigue cracks always start at stress concentration points.

I'm no expert in rotors in particular, but at one point in time I did learn about this in various engineering classes, so that is all I can really remember haha
Damn lol. Well your explanation was a lot better than mine haha
Old 05-01-13, 07:16 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sm1ke

And as far as dissipating heat, it's not noticeable unless you're doing a lot of prolonged heavy braking. In which case, you'd be better off with rotors that are slotted only. Almost the same heat dissipation, but they're stronger than slotted and drilled rotors.
That or tracking the car

At first, I wanted to get slotted only, but I really liked the look of the slotted followed by two rows of dimples (waited a month for this specific rotor) so I got that instead.
Old 05-01-13, 08:20 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Everything about this build is nice man, but i do have to say the carbon fiber kit you bought looks cheesy to me. the cuts they made dont seem to match up perfectly, how come you didn't just opt out for a sheet of 3m 1080 vinyl and make the cuts yourself? not hating just my .02 cents. sick calipers tho love the upgrade.
Old 05-01-13, 08:38 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusis07
Everything about this build is nice man, but i do have to say the carbon fiber kit you bought looks cheesy to me. the cuts they made dont seem to match up perfectly, how come you didn't just opt out for a sheet of 3m 1080 vinyl and make the cuts yourself? not hating just my .02 cents. sick calipers tho love the upgrade.
I originally did order a sheet of 3M vinyl but wasnt able to make the cuts myself. I had a friend help me out but we were still having trouble

This overlay kit looks exactly the same as the 3M vinyl did, not sure about the quality tho, but I have no complaints yet. And yeah I know some of the cuts arent great, but I was expecting that for $40. I mainly wanted the center console overlay so I dont mind the other imperfections
Old 05-19-13, 12:48 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Teaser pic!

Old 05-19-13, 05:37 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

u need to post that other pic u sent me lol
Old 05-20-13, 09:14 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
u need to post that other pic u sent me lol
Ask and you shall receive lol

Old 05-20-13, 09:18 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Ask and you shall receive lol

holy ****** bob! damn... sickest picture of your car I've ever seen.. actually, sickest picture of an SGM 2IS I've ever seen. This is STRAIGHT SEX.
Old 05-20-13, 09:37 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
holy ****** bob! damn... sickest picture of your car I've ever seen.. actually, sickest picture of an SGM 2IS I've ever seen. This is STRAIGHT SEX.
Hahaha, thanks bro I appreciate that

I know there are and have been some SGMs that are nicer than mine tho
Old 05-20-13, 06:12 PM
kgiles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick ride Bro ! nice setup
Old 05-21-13, 05:21 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kgiles
Sick ride Bro ! nice setup
Thanks
Old 05-23-13, 07:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sm1ke

If this is true, would drilled and slotted rotors wear pads faster than just slotted alone?

Quick Reply: Bob4256's SGM Build Thread