Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Farpetrads build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 09:32 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farpetrads build thread

So decided that its time to start this and put all this in one place. Just installed my carbon fiber roof spoiler. Also it seems this second Lexus dealership finally fixed my water problems even though they said they found no problem so I will assume that them taking things apart and putting it back together fixed some seal somewhere!

I used 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus to attach it to the car, but couldnt find how long it takes to really set, so anyone have any clue?

JoeZ intake

Plasti dip front grill, which needs to be redone as it peeled a tiny bit after the last wash and wax, the extra bit on the left in the pic just needed an exacto knife to remove

Plasti dipped rear emblems

Next up will be exhaust and headers just can't do it now as I'm in the process of looking for a house to buy and about to change jobs with a big pay increase
Old 01-27-13, 10:42 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking good. Where did you get the roof spoiler?
Old 01-27-13, 10:43 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the new job! The CF roof spoiler looks good. With the 3M tape alongside the sun heating it down a bit, it shouldn't have taken long for it to set. 3M is pretty strong and bonds quickly.
Old 01-27-13, 10:49 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Looking good. Where did you get the roof spoiler?
It was a late Xmas gift from my sister, she said she got it from eBay for 90 bucks.
Old 01-27-13, 11:20 AM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I promise I don't mean this in an offensive way, but your username reminds me of some sort of combination of farted and retard What does is ACTUALLY say? Cheers.
Old 01-27-13, 11:44 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

Glad to see they got the problem solved... even if they don't know what they did!
Old 01-27-13, 12:01 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice work, looks good. The intake looks great
Old 01-27-13, 12:26 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LO 21
I promise I don't mean this in an offensive way, but your username reminds me of some sort of combination of farted and retard What does is ACTUALLY say? Cheers.
Lol no offense taken. Well a LONG time ago I used to love playing Everquest and it was a randomly generated name that just stuck with me and I've used it over the years to play other games and online forums.
Old 01-27-13, 01:18 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Looks good so far.
Old 01-27-13, 02:14 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Good start
Old 01-27-13, 02:55 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Great start! I'm definitely impressed with the eBay carbon fiber roof spoilers. The quality seems pretty good for the cost.

I'm glad the leak issue is fixed, hopefully for good.

Congrats on your new job!
Old 01-27-13, 05:43 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

looks good... any full pics of the car?
Old 01-27-13, 07:51 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Boma
Great start! I'm definitely impressed with the eBay carbon fiber roof spoilers. The quality seems pretty good for the cost.

I'm glad the leak issue is fixed, hopefully for good.

Congrats on your new job!
Yeah I was also surprised at the quality. There is one spot on it where the weave pattern looks odd and catches my eye but to others it's not noticeable, guess its from my years as a game programmer and having to always look for graphical errors. I'll try to get a pic of the spot and see if you guys can notice it. Drove down the highway did a ill over 100 and the 3m held it on fine. Will get some more full car pics shortly, need to clean the wheels damn brake dust . And my exhaust and mesh around are plasti dipped also will add those to this thread or just look for my plasti dip post.
Old 02-09-13, 07:01 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

So was headed to my sisters this morning to hang out and see my nephew who just turned 6 months old and as I was turning onto her street, going about 5mph a kid darts in front of me, I swerve and miss him but my rear right wheel caught the curb, tiny scratch on the rim and the rubber on the side of the tire got torn but no major damage that I can tell.

Was pretty pissed but rather get some damage then run someones kid over, however a kid that young should of been watched by his parents, looked no older than 5! Out of all my cars I've never damaged a rim so what are the chances that it bent? To me it looks fine other then the scratch which I will get refinished to get rid of. I've also posted this to a thread in the SE forums for rim repair to see if anyone had an idea of cost of repair.
Old 02-09-13, 07:35 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Ouch.. it's a horrible feeling getting curb rash but it is a relatively easy diy fix.

From the pictures I doubt the rim got bent or anything that requires professional work. If you're willing to do the work yourself, you will need some Phantom Gray Pearl Metallic (Toyota 1E3) touch-up paint, clear touch-up paint, wet/dry sandpapers with grits ranging from 400 to 2000 (preferably up to 3000 if you can find some), a small sanding block, painter's tape, a solution of equal parts dish soap and water, rubbing alcohol, and a polishing compound.

Clean and strip the wheel of any gunk as much as you can. Tape off the surrounding area and any parts of the wheel that you don't want the sandpaper to touch. Using the sanding block, carefully sand away the rash starting with 400 grit and working your way up in grit until it looks smooth. Use small strokes to prevent sanding too much off but gradually use longer strokes when you use higher grits. Clean the area well using rubbing alcohol. You will reveal the white undercoat which you will then proceed to paint over using the touch-up paint. Do a couple coats and wet sand with the highest grit sandpaper you have until it is smooth and uniform with the surrounding surface. Don't do it too much or you might have to redo it. Do the same with the clear coat and wet sand. Remember to let the coats of paint to dry, let's say 30 minutes to an hour just to be safe. After it dries completely use a microfiber towel and apply the rubbing compound vigorously until it is shiney.

That's all there is to it. I'm sure my post is useless without pictures but it is basically the process in a nutshell. Do a quick search here and you can find the original post I paraphrased, complete with pictures. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Farpetrads build thread