Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

corradoMR2's USB "The Lightning" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 07:24 AM
carderoni
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the mirrors! Is that what 3M calls the "black" carbon wrap?
Old 09-11-13, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Here's another pic below of the right mirror just when I completed it. Note hair dryer. Sorry, a little blurry...

Originally Posted by SexyElaine
Wow !! Love , love what you did to the mirrors .......... looks soooo sexxxxy !!
Thanks! Coming from you, there's a definite significance to that.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
That does look pretty cool. What was your inspiration to do that?
The Lexus "F" emblem's shape and color. The mirror's lines and curves was the perfect "canvas" to get the desired shape. As for the front "lightning bolts", Rayaans' post a couple months back showed an interesting "lightning" reflection that then became the basis for my car's theme and design. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8045215-post23.html

Originally Posted by Paul@howeyindustries.com
That USB is so sexy!
I like the mods you have done so far, keep it up
Thanks! It's a looker - definitely love it! I achieved the look I wanted. Anything more I believe will be tacky, but hey, you never know...

Originally Posted by AndyL
Looks great, CorradoMR2. Where did you get the 3M Carbon Fiber Wrap (I assume it is 3M 1080P?)
I bought it off a guy on kijiji a couple years back. I believe it's the black 1080P. Had just about a square foot left enough to do the mirrors. But the Avery, I bought recently at a local vinyl wrap supplier/installer in west GTA.

Originally Posted by CtSFox
USB makes we want to apply for Canadian citizenship!
Talk to Wednesday, she's on the verge of doing the same.
Attached Thumbnails corradoMR2's USB "The Lightning" Thread-mirror1.jpg  
Old 09-11-13, 07:37 PM
Paul@howeyindustries.com
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks! It's a looker - definitely love it! I achieved the look I wanted. Anything more I believe will be tacky, but hey, you never know...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 09-21-13, 12:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

MOD UNVEIL: Takeda Cold Air Intake TR-2004P installed, with before/after videos

Many thanks to thejaperu for his DIY thread on installing this great intake. I immediately noticed the power difference and louder, much deeper, richer more burly engine note from the mid to upper revs. I absolutely love it and as skeptical as I was, I must admit the claimed 10+ hp gains is very realistic.

(Background noise is rain unfortunately)
Attached Thumbnails corradoMR2's USB "The Lightning" Thread-takeda1.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-24-14 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 01:00 AM
kilowong
Driver School Candidate

sounds great!
Old 09-23-13, 05:39 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

MOD UNVEIL: Takeda Cold Air Intake installed, with before/after videos

Many thanks to thejaperu for his DIY thread on installing this great intake. I immediately noticed the power difference and louder, much deeper, richer more burly engine note from the mid to upper revs. I absolutely love it and as skeptical as I was, I must admit the claimed 10+ hp gains is very realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDmBIAvTEU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH1Ss_qZEFA (Background noise is rain unfortunately)
Hey man, not to burst your bubble or anything but you didnt gain 10 hp from that intake. Your confusing sound with power.

You might have actually lost some horses. You can expect to gain (or lose) +- 5hp. The only intake with dyno proven gains is the JoeZ. Cold air intakes generally produce power gains because they suck in colder air from under the car but short rams (Takeda) are generally louder and wont produce gains since they suck in hotter air from the engine bay.

Only downside of the JoeZ is that its not as loud as the Takeda
Old 09-23-13, 05:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by kilowong
sounds great!
Yeah, it's really nice especially in person!

Originally Posted by bob4256
Hey man, not to burst your bubble or anything but you didnt gain 10 hp from that intake. Your confusing sound with power.

You might have actually lost some horses. You can expect to gain (or lose) +- 5hp. The only intake with dyno proven gains is the JoeZ. Cold air intakes generally produce power gains because they suck in colder air from under the car but short rams (Takeda) are generally louder and wont produce gains since they suck in hotter air from the engine bay.

Only downside of the JoeZ is that its not as loud as the Takeda
None bursted. I definitely feel the power gains at 3500 rpm + and the Takeda has been dyno proven

I agree typical "cold air" intakes are exposed to hot engine air. However, unlike many of these, the Takeda is a little different thanks to the bracket. Notice its shape and the rubber top seal. It helps shield the motion of hot air from the hot engine plus it allows the cold air from the stock "ram air" tunnel to come in from the hood. With the hood closed, the air intake is nearly a sealed system of cold air coming from the bottom with little hot air ever being able to make it in.
Attached Thumbnails corradoMR2's USB "The Lightning" Thread-air2.jpg   corradoMR2's USB "The Lightning" Thread-air1.jpg  
Old 09-23-13, 07:14 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You mean the heat shield? Yeah technically it's a "cooler" air intake lol. And bro I would suggest you get your own dyno results because I wouldn't believe those gains. K&N claims to have "dyno proven" gains of +15hp but it's just not true.

You can't gain power from sucking in hotter air than the stock box. The takeda intake has an exposed filter so it won't suck in colder air than the closed box filter of the oem intake. Like I said before, the
JoeZ intake is the only intake that gains 5whp (until the fsport intake is released for the 3IS).

Remember don't confuse sound with power, your butt dyno can be deceiving lol
Old 09-24-13, 05:58 AM
l5JLlll
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean the heat shield? Yeah technically it's a "cooler" air intake lol. And bro I would suggest you get your own dyno results because I wouldn't believe those gains. K&N claims to have "dyno proven" gains of +15hp but it's just not true.

You can't gain power from sucking in hotter air than the stock box. The takeda intake has an exposed filter so it won't suck in colder air than the closed box filter of the oem intake. Like I said before, the
JoeZ intake is the only intake that gains 5whp (until the fsport intake is released for the 3IS).

butt dyno's FTW lol
Old 09-24-13, 09:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1

never understood companies designing cold air intakes on top of the engine compartment, useless IMO.
Old 09-24-13, 10:08 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP you need to listen to Bob
so many threads similar (or even exactly the same) to yours have come up over the years and many members are just tired of repeating the same thing over and over again
you should thank Bob for not being a sarcastic douche, and instead he's genuinely alerting you of the false information you chose to believe
Old 09-24-13, 12:38 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oooh I really like that CF wrap on the mirrors!!! I think mine needs to visit the vinyl shop again for some more work hehehe
Old 09-24-13, 02:00 PM
dangla1603
Rookie

Love the sound so bad >_<
Old 09-24-13, 05:28 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's another pic below of the right mirror just when I completed it.

Talk to Wednesday, she's on the verge of doing the same.
I am learning Oh Canada as we speak, LOL. Your car is looking amazing!
Old 09-24-13, 06:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by wednesday
I am learning Oh Canada as we speak, LOL. Your car is looking amazing!
I knew it . Mark Templin is not moving fast enough supplying USBs in the US, eh ?

Quick Reply: corradoMR2's USB "The Lightning" Thread