Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2JZGTE rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 10:24 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Much better. What power goals are you going after? Is the r154 built any?I'm holding out for a Soarer transmission myself but will do all the MC upgrades so ill know I'm good
Old 10-26-13, 10:28 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer300
Much better. What power goals are you going after? Is the r154 built any?I'm holding out for a Soarer transmission myself but will do all the MC upgrades so ill know I'm good
I don't really know, running 550cc, Single turbo, MAP ECU3. Maybe 400hp?

Stock MK3 R154, unknown mileage, I'm sure above 100-150k miles. I've put 40k miles on this thing and its still holding very well. As you can see it has Soarer extension; I bought years ago. I believe you can't get this anymore in the US.
Old 10-26-13, 10:51 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

AR5 Solstice and R154 MK3 transmission comparison

Seems doable on SC300.

Old 10-26-13, 11:34 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

That's a nice extension. Its definitely a cheaper option than a v160. Its ridiculous how much they want for that transmission these days.
Old 10-27-13, 07:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

yehey .. you finally got it out huh ? so is the new engine in ?

Dennis - don't disassemble the crank from the block. I am storing them as complete short block if they came out of a running car and didn't spun a bearing. I would send you a rear sump oil pan which you can bolt on at the bottom to protect the crank and bottom part during shipping.

Last edited by gerrb; 10-27-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 06:44 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
yehey .. you finally got it out huh ? so is the new engine in ?

Dennis - don't disassemble the crank from the block. I am storing them as complete short block if they came out of a running car and didn't spun a bearing. I would send you a rear sump oil pan which you can bolt on at the bottom to protect the crank and bottom part during shipping.
No planning to disaasemble the block internals.. no spun bearing, running very strong. This engine has never seen 5-6K rpm. I alway shift at 3K RPM becuase I wanted the engine to last even longer haha.

The oil pans are off the block and the block is sitting on a tire in my garage. I don't think sitting it on a tire will damage the crank, I've been very careful about it.

I don't think you have to send me an oil pan.... i will secure the bottom with 2x2 wood so the crank wont touch anything upon shipping. Plus oil pan will make it heavier.
Old 10-28-13, 06:49 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Worked on the oil pan yestersday. I wanted to drill on the provision before sending it to the machine shop getting it clean and weld the flange.

Harbor Freight step drill, worked very well for $5.99 + 20% off

Getting welded

Old 10-28-13, 06:52 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Woking on the tunnel for the Solstice AR5 trans.

R154 top, Auto bottom

Aligning for another hole for the AR5 since shifter sits farther

AR5 shifter goes into that "X", I will cover those 2 extra holes with sheet metal

Old 10-28-13, 06:54 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Measuring lenght for 1 piece hybrid driveshaft

Old 10-28-13, 07:28 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

did you make that flange for the return fitting ? damn, its edges / ends seems so sharp... like a deadly weapon.

I don't know much about R154 nor AR5s.. I just read that AR5s are patterned after the R154 .. so they are the newer R154... .. my question is why do you prefer to install the AR5 now and not your R154 ? Is it built ? I maybe wrong but I just read on wiki that the AR5 can handle only 260 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 10-28-13, 07:56 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

did you make that flange for the return fitting ? damn, its edges / ends seems so sharp... like a deadly weapon.

I don't know much about R154 nor AR5s.. I just read that AR5s are patterned after the R154 .. so they are the newer R154... .. my question is why do you prefer to install the AR5 now and not your R154 ? Is it built ? I maybe wrong but I just read on wiki that the AR5 can handle only 260 ft-lbs of torque.
That flange is from Ebay, CXRacing, yeah weird shape

I bought the AR5 a year ago, planning to swap it on my GE engine. I kinda lost interest back then that's why it sat for a while. From my resources online and I have exchanged PMs with these guys limequat and pantherqs, they said that is has striple sycnhros for easy shifting and also built in short shifter. I got bored back then so that's why I bought it. pantherqs was running the same transmission on his 2JZGTE Solstice, I don't know the numbers but car seems have a lot of horsepower.

My R154 is old, notchy on 1st, 2nd, 3rd.... If my AR5 blows up, I will get the R154 built... it's not hard to put it back...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ce-swap-67382/

I would like to thank limequat for the help.

Last edited by JesLet; 10-28-13 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Sppellingm
Old 10-28-13, 09:25 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

My mistake, I think it was NA-t
Old 11-03-13, 04:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Dennis - you have the engine in the bay yet ? pictures ......
Old 11-03-13, 05:54 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

I finally got a chance to check out your thread. Really cool that you're trying this! The more pictures and documentation of little quirks with the AR-5 install the better. I'm very curious to see how it drives

I don't recall if this is correct or not so I'll ask: Is the AR-5 5-speed is the same for both the 2.4L non-turbo Solstice/Sky and 2.0L LNF turbocharged Solstice/Sky?

At this point you should need:

Custom driveshaft (measuring for it above)
1JZ bellhousing
The exterior front input shaft retainer plate for R154's.
Not sure about the VSS and reverse but I guess those are nearly the same??
A crossmember and mount for the tail

A couple of headaches but not many...

JesLet, based on your measurement of the console, how do you predict the shifter position will feel?
Old 11-04-13, 10:43 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Dennis - you have the engine in the bay yet ? pictures ......
No, it's on the floor sitting on blocks haha. I'd like to get it done, but busy at work. I am only putting 3 hours a day ( including break times haha) on my build except weekends.
Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I finally got a chance to check out your thread. Really cool that you're trying this! The more pictures and documentation of little quirks with the AR-5 install the better. I'm very curious to see how it drives

I don't recall if this is correct or not so I'll ask: Is the AR-5 5-speed is the same for both the 2.4L non-turbo Solstice/Sky and 2.0L LNF turbocharged Solstice/Sky?

At this point you should need:

Custom driveshaft (measuring for it above)
1JZ bellhousing
The exterior front input shaft retainer plate for R154's.
Not sure about the VSS and reverse but I guess those are nearly the same??
A crossmember and mount for the tail

A couple of headaches but not many...

JesLet, based on your measurement of the console, how do you predict the shifter position will feel?
I have no idea... maybe 2.4. You have to get the one without interim design, means AR5 tranny with mounting just like the R154. Interim design has mounting on the side.

Custom driveshaft (measuring for it above)Yes...
1JZ bellhousingYes
The exterior front input shaft retainer plate for R154's.Yes, it is called front bearing retainer
Not sure about the VSS and reverse but I guess those are nearly the same??reverse is the same, VSS has only 2 wires and SC/R154 has 3 wires.. I have to work on that
A crossmember and mount for the tailI will be using OE GM trans mount and mount it on SC bracket

To add more, you need different size pilot bearing, I forgot what size, I can measure later. 26 spline GM clutch disc, I believe GMC Sonoma/S10 will work. R154/MKIII Pressure plate. Same shift fork and those area.

Shifter position is right before the cup holder I think.. I will be usingan extension to move the shifter forward as you can see in the pic:

This is the interim design:

Update on my slow swap, got my oil pan sandblasted and welded and flywheel resurfaced

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE rebuild