Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

2JZGTE rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 04:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

That is the beauty of having an ECU with failsafe features. It will monitor different things for you like coolant temp, oil pressure , fuel pressure, 02 Lean and what not so you worry less about your engine being damaged and have more time enjoying your car. Like , it will shutdown the engine or do whatever is specified on the failsafes .

Mark , your AEM v2 has some of them already .. go use them buddy !
Old 08-29-13, 06:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
That is the beauty of having an ECU with failsafe features. It will monitor different things for you like coolant temp, oil pressure , fuel pressure, 02 Lean and what not so you worry less about your engine being damaged and have more time enjoying your car. Like , it will shutdown the engine or do whatever is specified on the failsafes .

Mark , your AEM v2 has some of them already .. go use them buddy !
Ok but why use some bs vaccum cap to cap a coolant port? Because you have an ecu that can monitor it?

All those failsafes came from Proefi, Jason did that years ago, and i don't think v2 has all that , i know 100% the Infinity has 98% of the failsafes.

Back to topic

Op take the WP off and have it welded shut if you are going for a clean look, Or you can actually pull the fitting off and use a short 12-14mm bolt to plug it.
1jzpwr is 100% correct that thing will pop on you within a couple hundred miles.
Old 08-29-13, 07:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Ok but why use some bs vaccum cap to cap a coolant port? Because you have an ecu that can monitor it?

All those failsafes came from Proefi, Jason did that years ago, and i don't think v2 has all that , i know 100% the Infinity has 98% of the failsafes.

Back to topic

Op take the WP off and have it welded shut if you are going for a clean look, Or you can actually pull the fitting off and use a short 12-14mm bolt to plug it.
1jzpwr is 100% correct that thing will pop on you within a couple hundred miles.

Looks to me somebody is jumping on the gun , you are barking on the wrong tree . You may want to ask the OP why he used "some bs vacuum cap to cap a coolant port ?" . I didn't do it neither did I suggest it .... neither did we even talk about it .

And no body ever said the v2 has all what proEFI failsafe can provide. Exactly the reason why I was replacing the v2 with a proEFI cause I find its failsafes a lot better.

All I told the OP was were to find the relief hole since he was looking for it , talked about the beauty of an ECU with failsafes and since Mark has a V2 with failsafes , he might as well use them .

Last edited by gerrb; 08-29-13 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 07:21 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sounded like you told him to use that cap, and he said capped OFF , Thanks Gerry.

And then it sounded more obvious when you started talking about Ecu and Failsafes crap, SO you either talk to the OP or you were OT.

So i'm sorry!

And this Thread is about the OP, not me , not You , not Mark , Wanna talk about ECU start your own thread please.
Old 08-29-13, 07:44 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Apology accepted !

Just for your info and to make things straight . The reason why I mentioned about the ECU on the OP thread was because he and I converse a lot both on PMs, emails and text messages about his built . He does communicate with me often. I listen to what he tells me and at times give my point of view but never told him emphatically to do this or do that. So for me it was worthwhile to mention it on his thread for him to know since he hasn't finalize his parts gathering. I didn't talk about the ECU just for the sake of talking about ECUs and to add another thread to the so many threads about ECUs ?.... no point . Just as I always mentioned , everyone has his own liking to what ECU he wants to use. And I am not one who will argue about ECUs. Who am I to argue anything about automotives ? It ain't what I went to school for so I don't know much as I always said.

And again even if the OP and I converse a lot , not once we have talked about that coolant port being capped.

Last edited by gerrb; 08-29-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 07:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe this whole thing was a misunderstanding between the two parties. Jerry, glad you accepted the apology, and Quick thank you for saying it. For future reference, let's stay on topic and help each other on their builds. We all have learned some useful Do's and Dont's along the way with every build. I knew from experience that that style of cap would not work. I ended up using JB weld and a coolant cap to ensure mine didn't ever leak again. Even the cap somehow dry rotted, the JB weld would still hold it. Mine should have been welded shut from the get go, but no one told me, so that was my lesson learned. Cost me being on the side of the wrong running hot. Bummer.

Any more progress on the build this afternoon?
Old 08-30-13, 02:24 AM
konaboi808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Siik *** build brah
Old 08-31-13, 11:12 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Messing with ebay manifold.

Old 08-31-13, 11:29 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Did you get the thing that you were telling me in the mail yet ? That should help you a lot for sure.

Btw , just my opinion .. using the oem manifold gasket regardless of what manifold you use will be better in the long run. Those gaskets that come with those manifolds will more likely leak after some time. A lot of people use Ebay manifolds , even I have it on the red mamba so don't feel bad about it. It's your money and your car .. do and use what you want . We are just spectators.

And thank you for posting again !

Last edited by gerrb; 08-31-13 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-31-13, 11:42 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
Did you get the thing that you were telling me in the mail yet ? That should help you a lot for sure.

Btw , just my opinion .. using the oem manifold gasket regardless of what manifold you use will be better in the long run. Those gaskets that come with those manifolds will more likely leak after some time. A lot of people use Ebay manifolds , even I have it on the red mamba so don't feel bad about it. It's your money and your car .. do and use what you want . We are just spectators.

And thank you for posting again !
Good to know, I still have my OE gaskets
Old 08-31-13, 07:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Man that motor looks great!!! I love it when people build the motors so clean. Clean means done right in my book.
Old 08-31-13, 07:31 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Man that motor looks great!!! I love it when people build the motors so clean. Clean means done right in my book.

the dude is clean freak .. lmaol .. you have no idea
Old 08-31-13, 07:34 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Lol, freakin Gerry.
Old 09-01-13, 11:41 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jes, man this is an impressive engine build! love the direction you're going with this one.

steve
Old 09-03-13, 09:40 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Throttle body and trimmed cover.

Throttle body wasn't sandblasted, just ran it though with a pneumatic wire brush. Kind of disappointed, didn't matched the manifold/plenum.

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE rebuild