Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Been a while... Back in the 2GS game...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 09:09 AM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I'm a big fan of having the brakes "pop" behind the wheel. black tends to get " lost" in the wheel IMO but what ever you do I'm sure will look great. did you end up getting those sways from joe?
You're right. I'll probably go with Red for the brakes.

Yes, I paid him for them. Then he said he had to get them taken off the car...

I have not yet received them. I'm hoping that those and the rear sway bar ship out to me next week.
Old 02-16-14, 04:58 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

I did quite a bit of maintenance this weekend...

Spark Plugs - Denso (3297) SK20R11 Iridium
Clean throttle body & MAF - TB Gasket (2227150042)
Oil Filter - 15601
Air filter - 1780150030
Thermostat - 9091603100
Thermostat gasket - 1634632010
Transmission drain plug crush washer - 35178-30010
Engine oil - Mobil1 5w-30 (6 qts)
Differential fluid - 75w-90 (2qts)
Transmission fluid - Toyota ATF Type IV (2qts)
Power steering fluid - Dexron II or III (2 qts)
Coolant - Toyota red coolant (1 gal)

I got the throttle body cleaned up pretty well...

I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet. It drove fine prior to all this maintenance, so I'm not expecting any drastic differences. I still have the car on jack stands in preparation of my suspension parts install that I'll be doing this week.

I'm now thinking about doing a retrofit with my stock halogen headlights. I'm going to consider that phase 2 of the modding phase. I also got a quote to have my decklid repaired and re sprayed, $300, so I'm going to get that done sometime this week.

I'm excited about my progress, car should turn out nice when I'm "done"...
Old 02-16-14, 05:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

nice update and a big WOW on all that maintanance.. Its funny because the front of my car is also sitting on jack stands getting a long time over due mod lol..... While its up i'm doing the oil change, possibly tranny drill/refill and then rear diff when i'm done with the front..

Is it exactly 2qts that comes out from the tranny? I've have 6 qts in the garage that i bought a few months back from Sewell..

Also bought Redline 75/90 fluid for the Diff...
Old 02-16-14, 06:21 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

nice update and a big WOW on all that maintanance.. Its funny because the front of my car is also sitting on jack stands getting a long time over due mod lol..... While its up i'm doing the oil change, possibly tranny drill/refill and then rear diff when i'm done with the front..

Is it exactly 2qts that comes out from the tranny? I've have 6 qts in the garage that i bought a few months back from Sewell..

Also bought Redline 75/90 fluid for the Diff...
Yes. 2 qts is all you need for tranny drain refill. Make sure to open the fill plug first when doing rear diff. Mine was stripped out so I had to weld on a nut to it so I could get it out. It's a 10mm hex. If you're going to do it I suggest soaking both the drain and fill plugs in PB blaster the day before you do it.
Old 02-16-14, 08:52 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

thanks for the tips. I printed out the DIYs for the rear diff and tranny drain/ refill as guidance. 10mm hex just for the drain bolt or top bolt as well?
Old 02-16-14, 09:04 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the tips. I printed out the DIYs for the rear diff and tranny drain/ refill as guidance. 10mm hex just for the drain bolt or top bolt as well?
10mm hex for both. I'd recommend getting a socket style hex, using a hex key might not give you enough leverage.
Old 02-16-14, 09:59 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nice job on all that maintenance. i got a few things i got to bang out myself. nothing like looking back at a productive weekend in the garage
Old 02-18-14, 08:37 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Put some paint on the calipers. Going to let them set for a couple days before I put all the hardware on. I'm happy with how they turned out.

Old 02-19-14, 02:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

great job . they look brand new .
Old 03-03-14, 11:07 AM
step2me
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls brakes

I been wanting to do this even seen a few set at local yards but LS owners always have clearance issues with the big caliper scared I will go through all that and my wheel rub .....what all do I need off a donar car to complete ? And where did you get your stickers for the calipers
Old 03-03-14, 12:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by step2me
I been wanting to do this even seen a few set at local yards but LS owners always have clearance issues with the big caliper scared I will go through all that and my wheel rub .....what all do I need off a donar car to complete ? And where did you get your stickers for the calipers
You will need a pair of RCA's to help keep the caliper from rubbing on the tie rod... also if using stock wheels minimum 15mm spacer i believe...
Old 03-03-14, 12:59 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing to update for you guys, sorry, weather has been downright awful in the Midwest this winter. I have been driving the car tho and it's been a blast. I can't wait to get all of the suspension, brakes and wheels/tires put on and see how she feels afterwards. After driving the car I've told myself that I have to get an exhaust for it. I'm going to pick up one of the ones from the guys down in Dallas, Top Speed. Price seems right and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

I grew tired of the half-assed carbon fiber interior so I just purchased the blackwood interior pieces that were for sale in the classifieds. I normally frown on what I'm doing with the car, but having had a sport design model previously, I love all of the subtle styling queues... I've got the floor mats and door sill plates already installed. I have the yellow housings fogs sitting on a shelf. This will be my own version of the sport design, how it should've been from the factory sort of deal...

I'm just now basically waiting on the RCAs and then I can devote a weekend to installing everything that I've been stockpiling!

I'm going to paint the wheels, grill, trunk emblem/trunk bar and lower valence on the rear bumper Toyota 1E3, phantom grey. When I get around to doing my headlight retrofit I'm going to paint the housings the same color. I think it should be a nice contrast with the ABM without going too dark. This color is basically the same color that the ISF wheels are painted to give you an idea.
Old 03-03-14, 01:05 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

There some youtube vids of the Top speed pro exhaust on a 300 and 400... For the price its not a bad deal.. I have the TSP high flow resonators.. looking forward to the pics... Seems like many of lately have on going projects lol..
Old 03-11-14, 09:57 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

I've been able to make some decent progress so far this week.

Sanded, primed and painted the g35 wheels. I went with storm grey metallic. I'm excited about how this color will contrast the antique bronze mica. I used the duplicolor matte clearcoat also...

I installed my KYB GR2s and tanabe df210s on the front. I also installed the TRD sway bar and TRD STB. My steering rack bushings were shot and literally falling apart, so I installed the Daizen poly steering rack bushings as well. My sway bar endlinks were shot so I ordered replacements from rock auto, they should be here tomorrow and I will then be able to button up the front end suspension.

I'll have more, detailed pics by weeks end. With hopefully more good progress to report.

Last edited by SADDLE; 03-12-14 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 10:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

looking good. time for that bbk also

Quick Reply: Been a while... Back in the 2GS game...