What am i expecting buying an early Sc 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 12:13 PM
carman5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What am i expecting buying an early Sc 400

Hi guys,

First, i just want to say, if i posted in the wrong section - mod - please move it to where it needs to be.

So anyway, iv'e been in the world of american cars now, and i'm fed up. I currently drive a "Well Maintained" Jeep Cherokee (XJ), which is supposed to be indestructable, and all i have is problems.

I have ALWAYS wanted an early production SC 400 - like 92/93 and i have actually been looking at them.

What am i getting myself into. I have heard good and bad things. Indestructable engines (Heard that one before cough*Jeep*cough). Is it true? or just a myth.

How about the transmission? quality or problematic?

Common problems? ive heard power steering problems, how true and how serious is that for this vehicle?

And lastly, how is the repair process? i would like to hear from both DYI guys, and non mechanics. -- I am more of a backyard wrencher - i know a lot, can do some. But i only have experience with easy to work on vehicles - for example my jeep where you can practically climb in the engine compartment to work (LOL). Is this a DYI vehicle? Can i change the oil myself or is there some insane process that the dealership can only do (Dramatizing here).

So i mean, obviously you don't have to answer all of my questions, heck you don't have to answer any, as long as you have some useful input for me!

Is it a good experience owning one of these? How expensive is the maintenence?

Cause one thing i know for sure is that if one repair is going to cost me what 10 repairs would cost on a jeep, i'd rather stick with what i have.

Sorry about the length, and thanks for the read!
Old 02-20-14, 09:52 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help us all answer your questions if we knew what your intent with the SC is? Daily? Drift? Speed? Cruiser?
I say this because the SC is a very DIYable car, and we can steer you in the right direction once we know what your goals are.
The engine is indestructible, but don't take that to mean you don't have to maintain it. If maintained properly (oil is easy and straightforward to change, no crazy dealership process) it will last you well in excess of 300k.
The transmission doesn't seem to break much, but is fairly slow and outdated (4spd auto). A lot of guys are swapping in manual 5spd W58's in their backyards and are really happy with it. But if you want to mod the car adding hp, the W58 tranny is rather weak and a stronger R154 is recommended.
As far as other issues, some of the main ones are failing trunk shocks, leaking headlights, ripped up interior, worm out bushings, door panel issues, etc etc. All for which you can find DIY guides stickied to the top of the forum.
The car is a money-pit only in the sense that you'll want to make it perfect, lol.

Welcome to the community, I hear SO many people posting that they've fallen in love with the car after their first drive.
Old 02-20-14, 07:29 PM
carman5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
It would help us all answer your questions if we knew what your intent with the SC is? Daily? Drift? Speed? Cruiser?
I say this because the SC is a very DIYable car, and we can steer you in the right direction once we know what your goals are.
The engine is indestructible, but don't take that to mean you don't have to maintain it. If maintained properly (oil is easy and straightforward to change, no crazy dealership process) it will last you well in excess of 300k.
The transmission doesn't seem to break much, but is fairly slow and outdated (4spd auto). A lot of guys are swapping in manual 5spd W58's in their backyards and are really happy with it. But if you want to mod the car adding hp, the W58 tranny is rather weak and a stronger R154 is recommended.
As far as other issues, some of the main ones are failing trunk shocks, leaking headlights, ripped up interior, worm out bushings, door panel issues, etc etc. All for which you can find DIY guides stickied to the top of the forum.
The car is a money-pit only in the sense that you'll want to make it perfect, lol.

Welcome to the community, I hear SO many people posting that they've fallen in love with the car after their first drive.
Thanks for the info.

My main intent for the car is basically just a daily driver. I am usually conservative when it comes to driving, for gas saving purposes, but i have my times where i like to drive like my foot is made of lead. Nothing too extreme though.

I am meticulous with maintenance, i will never let an oil change pass 3000 Miles, and i change everything else at regular intervals.

To be honest, i am fairly confident with the engine and transmission in this car, i am just concerned with other things, like power steering repairs, or any other sneak up repair which will devour my wallet lol.

Im sort of a nit-picker, so i am sure i will go crazy trying to fix every little issue the car has. Im just trying to see that im not buying a car which has common expensive repairs. (I dont like to spend money).

On one of these forums, i saw a guy say he spent 5k on maintenance. 5k? maintanance? what did they do, replace the time-warp module? lol
Old 02-20-14, 08:28 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yea $5k in maintenance is unheard of. He probably took it to a dealership and they convinced him he needed a new engine. That or he bought a destroyed SC for a few hundred dollars and spend $5k to make it run/look new.
One of the best things about this forum is that you can post almost any issue you have (or search for it) and someone (if not many) will have already dealt with it, and posted a way on how to fix it on the cheap.

As far as the power steering, there hasn't been any major issues with it failing on SC's. BUT there has been issues with leaking lines, which leak onto the alternator (because its located directly above the alternator) and cause the alternator to go out.

I just remembered this thread. It actually answers almost all the questions you can have regarding maintenance.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-used-sc.html

One of the most important things I would suggest is to not cheap out and buy a dirt cheap SC. Everyone will tell you thats its much more worth it to spend a bit more and get one in good shape, especially if it has had the major maintenance already completed (ie; timing belt, water pump, etc etc) as this preventative maintenance is what will cost the most, but will ensure no issues until the next maintenance is due