My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-04, 08:18 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Congrats Hameed !!

I never looked much into HRE wheels until I saw them in person. There's just something about these wheels in real life that pictures just can't do justice.
I agree 100% on that one! I have never seen a silver set in person, but a member up my way has a 20" chrome set, and those things have a really clean, smooth look about them! Kinda like they 'glow' rather than bling! LOL

The ones that I saw were the regular series (with the stepped lip), and to be honest, thats always been one of the features of HRE (and other hi-end modular wheel companies) that I liked! I think the stepped lip looks classy!
Old 01-17-04, 11:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Very sexy wheels hameed. Congrads on getting them. They really look nice. Do you notice any difference with milage and speed penalty?
I am thinking of getting rims and you guys increase the pressure to do so since everyone is getting wheels.
Still holding back hoping to get a deal on a nice used set.

Thanks Drew! They look waaay better in person (I feel like a parrot now)!!

Weight and and speed penalty? The rims weigh 22 lbs (as opposed to the 26.5 lbs of the OEM 17" chromes). Not sure how much more the ZR rated tires weigh compared to my previous All season stockers, but the car actually feels peppier.

Yeah you definitely need to upgrade your rims asap!
Old 01-17-04, 02:04 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed

I tried to capture the aggressive offset in this pic: (I will post better pics later today):
Hameed,
try to shoot a pic with a yardstick up against the top and bottom of the tire and the top of the wheelwell lip at the same time.

Different picture angles are sooo hard to tell what your offset is. I'm gonna bet that the rim top/bottom and the fender lip almost match up even or maybe less than a 1/4 in gap between the three.

Do front and rear too please.
Old 01-18-04, 04:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Hameed,
try to shoot a pic with a yardstick up against the top and bottom of the tire and the top of the wheelwell lip at the same time.

Different picture angles are sooo hard to tell what your offset is. I'm gonna bet that the rim top/bottom and the fender lip almost match up even or maybe less than a 1/4 in gap between the three.

Do front and rear too please.
I don't quite understand what you would like me to do ..........................? Please elaborate a little more and I will gladly do that!
Old 01-18-04, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't quite understand what you would like me to do ..........................? Please elaborate a little more and I will gladly do that!
lean a straight stick against the fender of the car, the bottom touching the bottom of the rim and the top tocuhing the fender wall. you will see if the top part of the wheel is touching the stick as well. mine is, so i am sure yours is too. your rear should be a bit off but still very close
Old 01-18-04, 11:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LIKE THIS

I should of had a second ruler measuring the distance from the rim edge to the yardstick. I can tell you the gap is about 1/4 in. That's about as far out as you as you can go with moderate trimming done to this IS fender shown. The offset is I believe 45 on a 19x9 with 255/30 tire

You might be able to push the wheel out another 1/8 inch further if you trim the fender lip completely off.

I'll try to get my GS photo shot done later.
Attached Thumbnails My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003-rear-rim-offset.jpg  
Old 01-22-04, 05:34 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Look at this unbelievable offset on the front! The top part of the stick does NOT even touch the fender!! It's hard to see that in the photo, however if you look at the bigger version, you probably could:

Bigger version of the pic above:

Here's the rear offset. This one touches the fender at the top:

Bigger version of pic

I don't really like these pics. I will take some better ones tommorow
Old 01-22-04, 07:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha yeah, the offset are very aggresive man. i have a feeling though, if you lower the car with flex to 1 finger gap, you might rub in the front a bit. if so let me know, i have some tricks and tips for you. i have pretty much fixed my rubbing problem in the front (which was pretty bad)

the rear looks good too, though the thing with 440r series is the less lip in the rear
Old 01-22-04, 07:23 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
haha yeah, the offset are very aggresive man. i have a feeling though, if you lower the car with flex to 1 finger gap, you might rub in the front a bit. if so let me know, i have some tricks and tips for you. i have pretty much fixed my rubbing problem in the front (which was pretty bad)
I don't know rominl. Unless his camber goes negative and the wheel can go inside the wheel well, he is still going to hit the fender on compressions. Unless you are talking about more agressive measures than what I saw you do to your car.
Old 01-22-04, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
I don't know rominl. Unless his camber goes negative and the wheel can go inside the wheel well, he is still going to hit the fender on compressions. Unless you are talking about more agressive measures than what I saw you do to your car.
well remember the gs has independent suspension. when the wheel goes up, it doesn't go straight up, but instead go up and inward (like an arc). so it will clear some of the fender. mine is +32 and it's perfectly flushed with the fender (tested out with rmmgs4) and with some tricks i don't rub now anymore. hameed's car isn't lowered yet, so i assume the camber is very postive. when it lowers the car the camber will decrease more and more and the clearance will start to appear btw hameed's wheels are +31, so 1mm more aggressive than mine. so it shoudl work
Old 01-22-04, 08:55 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so it shoudl work
Hopefully.

Hameed will definitely need some work if he plans to drop it.
Old 01-22-04, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
Hopefully.

Hameed will definitely need some work if he plans to drop it.
exactly i don't think he can get away from rubbing if he wants to get to no gap but then he has 18 (within spec) and i have 20 (out of spec) so he will have a bit more room too
Old 01-23-04, 03:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

the rear looks good too, though the thing with 440r series is the less lip in the rear
I most DEFINITELY plan to drop it with the Flex, to 1 finger gap in the front. The rear is at 1 finger gap already so I will probably leave that the same as the current L-tuned drop.

Henry, please post your tricks and tips here so that others can benefit from your experience!! Thanks!!

The rear lip is almost three inches Henry. Between 2.5 and 3 inches.

Last edited by Hameed; 01-23-04 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-23-04, 11:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I most DEFINITELY plan to drop it with the Flex, to 1 finger gap in the front. The rear is at 1 finger gap already so I will probably leave that the same as the current L-tuned drop.

Henry, please post your tricks and tips here so that others can benefit from your experience!! Thanks!!

The rear lip is almost three inches Henry. Between 2.5 and 3 inches.
sure thing man. i am in the process of writing up something cool
Old 01-23-04, 05:15 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats from a previous HRE owner!

Last edited by LS4fun; 01-23-04 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003