Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Hameed - Don't ya just love how the rotors fill up the open spaces in the rim now (compared to stock)?

On a more serious note, I'm assuming you did the break in process? Nuum did that for me thankfully (I don't think my neck would have survived the whiplash ). If you did, how'd you find a road appropriate to do that in your neck of the urban woods?
yeah tell me about it man his 14" fill up the space so nicely. my ap racing looks so small on my hre i know i shouldn't say it, but that sux!
Old 04-14-04, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Oh great, another "must have" mod for my GS!
Are the rear rotors stock diameter and use the stock calipers? Do you mind telling us what they cost you?
Really looks good!
yes that's stock size rotor replacement in the back with the stock calipers. he also upgraded the pads and also the ss lines. i know he got the kits from TM Engineering, i will leave the prices to him
Old 04-15-04, 05:28 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hameed,

Buddy who did the brake work for you?
Doesn't look like Erin Park Lexus but I don't go there too often anymore either.. Lemme know since I need some brake work done to my ride too..
Old 04-15-04, 07:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Hameed - Don't ya just love how the rotors fill up the open spaces in the rim now (compared to stock)?
I sure do!
On a more serious note, I'm assuming you did the break in process? Nuum did that for me thankfully (I don't think my neck would have survived the whiplash ). If you did, how'd you find a road appropriate to do that in your neck of the urban woods?
Please enlighten me about the break-in procedure. I have absolutely no clue what that is..........
I just assumed the break-in procedure was not to apply the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick in for the first couple of hundred miles? I have noticed that there is a strange deposit on the front rotors - see attached pic

Originally posted by FutureGS400
Oh great, another "must have" mod for my GS!
Are the rear rotors stock diameter and use the stock calipers? Do you mind telling us what they cost you?
Really looks good!
Please contact Todd (Double Whoosh is his CL sn) at http://www.tmengineering.net for prices!
Originally posted by Neo
There was no way that 56k warning was going to keep me from opening up this page. I'm visiting family now and they only have dialup. Had to see the pics though.

Very nice Hameed. Congrats.
Thanks to you my friend!
Originally posted by rominl
same here, my cosmetic is done, next would be performance and audio

but that means you don't want to keep your tte lip for long then? why? i actually like your tte lip more
I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I really like it and sometimes I don't. It is one of the those things that I may never take off. Who knows....

Last edited by Hameed; 04-15-04 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 07:13 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Hameed,

Buddy who did the brake work for you?
Doesn't look like Erin Park Lexus but I don't go there too often anymore either.. Lemme know since I need some brake work done to my ride too..
Originally posted by Hameed
My local Lexus dealer's Master certified mechanic - Desmond did the install for at a small place he rents after hours to work on friends car's and my cost was very low - $200.00 (canadian dollars - about US$150.00)!!!! Desmond is DA MAN!!!! (the guy in the pics is Desmond). The whole job took only 2.5 hours and he did an absolutely flawless job. System was properly bled and he did not have to do anything special with regards to bleeding as Paul (Bitkahuna) experienced with his StopTech set. Maybe mine were slightly different....
Old 04-15-04, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Please enlighten me about the break-in procedure. I have absolutely no clue what that is..........
I just assumed the break-in procedure was not to apply the brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick in for the first couple of hundred miles? I have noticed that there is a strange deposit on the front rotors
$#!+ !!!! There's big warnings in the manual for the big brake kit about breaking them in properly. Please read and do this! I think ya gotta do 10 REALLY hard brakes from 60 to 5 mph (not stopping completely) in a row. Yes the brakes will get hot and smoke. That's normal. Anyway, RTFM!
Old 04-15-04, 07:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Hameed,

Interested to know if you hear any noise from these brakes (or other folks that have them) similar to what I hear with the Supra TT brakes / rotors. Its probably too cold to drive with your windows down and listen (that's the only time I hear mine, sounds a bit like a bike with a card in the spokes) for any sound when you drive past a wall or other reflecting surface. I'm never sure if its just the drilled/slotted rotors or if just drilled would do it too.

Did you paint your rear calipers black too? Can't quite tell from the pics.
Old 04-15-04, 07:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

$#!+ !!!! There's big warnings in the manual for the big brake kit about breaking them in properly. Please read and do this! I think ya gotta do 10 REALLY hard brakes from 60 to 5 mph (not stopping completely) in a row. Yes the brakes will get hot and smoke. That's normal. Anyway, RTFM!
In other words not hard enough for the ABS to kick in but hard enough to almost stop? OK, I will do that today! What are the negative consequences of not having done this already? I have driven it for about 120 miles already...
Old 04-15-04, 07:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Interested to know if you hear any noise from these brakes (or other folks that have them) similar to what I hear with the Supra TT brakes / rotors. Its probably too cold to drive with your windows down and listen (that's the only time I hear mine, sounds a bit like a bike with a card in the spokes) for any sound when you drive past a wall or other reflecting surface. I'm never sure if its just the drilled/slotted rotors or if just drilled would do it too.
No sound from mine. I think that characteristic is mainly attributed to slotted rotors.
Did you paint your rear calipers black too? Can't quite tell from the pics.
Not yet. Will be doing that soon!
Old 04-15-04, 07:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Paul, did you noticed the pic I posted above? It is a bit hard to see the deposit in the pic, but the rears are absolutely clean compared to the fronts as shown above.
Old 04-15-04, 08:43 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As Tony the Tiger would say... "They're GREAT!!!".

Very Nice
Old 04-15-04, 09:30 AM
LS_4Will
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say the deposits are just the brake dust building up in the drilled holes in the rotor. You dont see much(if not any) in the rear rotor yet because about 3/4 of the braking in done with the front brakes. If the holes get clogged with too much dust, the holes wont do as good of a job of dissipating heat, thus increasing your chance of brake fade...thats my two cents Good Luck and Congratulations on the awsome brake setup _Will
Old 04-15-04, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

In other words not hard enough for the ABS to kick in but hard enough to almost stop? OK, I will do that today! What are the negative consequences of not having done this already? I have driven it for about 120 miles already...
oh man, hameed, how can you NOT read the instructions.... that sux man.... the break in process for the brakes are as important as you can imagine.... damnit....

you need to find a stretch of road and drive like a mad man for like 10 to 20 times. accel to 60-70mph, then literally HARD BRAKE (stand on the brakes) to stop the car. VERY hard brake, i mean it. to about 5mph, then repeat.

aftwards you should get ALL sort of smell from the wheels, and you should see massive smoke coming out of the brakes. oh and it will be stupidly hot.

that's how you bread the pads and the rotors and make them start doing their job.

boy... and now your whole brake system is broken already, including rotors, calipers, and pads... sigh, just send me yours and you can order a new set!
Old 04-15-04, 02:03 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
oh man, hameed, how can you NOT read the instructions.... that sux man.... the break in process for the brakes are as important as you can imagine.... damnit....

you need to find a stretch of road and drive like a mad man for like 10 to 20 times. accel to 60-70mph, then literally HARD BRAKE (stand on the brakes) to stop the car. VERY hard brake, i mean it. to about 5mph, then repeat.

aftwards you should get ALL sort of smell from the wheels, and you should see massive smoke coming out of the brakes. oh and it will be stupidly hot.

that's how you bread the pads and the rotors and make them start doing their job.

boy... and now your whole brake system is broken already, including rotors, calipers, and pads... sigh, just send me yours and you can order a new set!
I'll do that tonight or tomorrow when I next drive the car out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-15-04, 02:16 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
As Tony the Tiger would say... "They're GREAT!!!".

Very Nice
That is indeed a compliment coming from the TT monster!

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003