Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 03:13 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
That is indeed a compliment coming from the TT monster!
Isn't that supercharged monster?
Old 04-15-04, 03:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

In other words not hard enough for the ABS to kick in but hard enough to almost stop? OK, I will do that today! What are the negative consequences of not having done this already? I have driven it for about 120 miles already...
No definitely hard enough to have ABS kick in - STOMP ON THAT *****! I wouldn't advise having a passenger unless they have dramamine.

The negative consequences (I believe) are that brake pad material can build up on the rotors very unevenly which can make them feel like they're warped.

DON'T YOU HAVE THE MANUAL????
Old 04-15-04, 03:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Hameed,

Interested to know if you hear any noise from these brakes (or other folks that have them) similar to what I hear with the Supra TT brakes / rotors. Its probably too cold to drive with your windows down and listen (that's the only time I hear mine, sounds a bit like a bike with a card in the spokes) for any sound when you drive past a wall or other reflecting surface. I'm never sure if its just the drilled/slotted rotors or if just drilled would do it too.
Dave - since my brakes are the same as Hameed's I felt I could chime in here... no noise on my brakes (except annoying squeal sometimes on slow stops from those Axxis Ultimate pads when they're hot - I plan to switch to Axxis MetalMasters soon). I believe the bike wheel card sound you hear is attributable to the slots in your rotors. Hameed's and mine are drilled only.
Old 04-15-04, 03:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hameed,

You absolutely need to bed the brakes (about 10 of those hard stops, build up to 60mph stops). You can read about it online at various places. Sorry I can't help more (with providing links) with this dialup connection, everything is just too slow.

Be careful after you finish the bedding process since the rotors will be HOT. You need to drive moderately after that for about 5 minutes with little braking so that the rotors can cool down. Tapping the brakes is OK but try not to find yourself in a position at a red light holding down the brakes. Usually a more industrial setting after hours is ideal.

Good luck.

p.s. I'll post about my brake install after I get home from my trip. Posting pics with dialup is no fun.
Old 04-15-04, 03:35 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
No definitely hard enough to have ABS kick in - STOMP ON THAT *****! I wouldn't advise having a passenger unless they have dramamine.

The negative consequences (I believe) are that brake pad material can build up on the rotors very unevenly which can make them feel like they're warped.

DON'T YOU HAVE THE MANUAL????
Yes, I have the manual, but I am so lazy I never read manuals! I will take care of this today or tomorrow.

I just have to find a road to do this on. I think that would be the biggest challenge for me.

Last edited by Hameed; 04-15-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 03:40 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by Neo
Hameed,

You absolutely need to bed the brakes (about 10 of those hard stops, build up to 60mph stops). You can read about it online at various places. Sorry I can't help more (with providing links) with this dialup connection, everything is just too slow.

Be careful after you finish the bedding process since the rotors will be HOT. You need to drive moderately after that for about 5 minutes with little braking so that the rotors can cool down. Tapping the brakes is OK but try not to find yourself in a position at a red light holding down the brakes. Usually a more industrial setting after hours is ideal.

Good luck.

p.s. I'll post about my brake install after I get home from my trip. Posting pics with dialup is no fun.
Thanks Neo! I will take care this asap!

I just talked to Todd Matsubara (DoubleWhoosh) and he said after I have done this procedure the performance of the brakes will be even better.......

Even better????? I can't imagine them getting any better - right now I just have to think "Stop" and then the next thing I do is look in my rear view mirror to see if someone is crashing into my trunk.

Last edited by Hameed; 04-15-04 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 03:55 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats...looks great...now your gonna make everyone want big brakes (I already do! )
Old 04-15-04, 05:42 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hameed, your brakes look killer man.

After reading over this thread, there is alot of valuable information here. Todd is correct in saying that the brakes will be even better. They will feel more responsive when braking once they have been bedded in. And shame on you for not doing your homework after buying an expensive mod...

Your car looks great man.. Keep up the nice work...

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 04-15-04 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 07:05 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I thought breaking in meant not driving on them hard for 1000 miles also. Is it ever too late if they were never broken in?
Old 04-15-04, 08:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I'll do that tonight or tomorrow when I next drive the car out. Thanks for the heads up!
cool, so you sending your brakes my way?
Old 04-15-04, 08:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD

After reading over this thread, there is alot of valuable information here. Todd is correct in saying that the brakes will be even better. They will feel more responsive when braking once they have been bedded in. And shame on you for not doing your homework after buying an expensive mod...

yup, after you really break it in, the pads will be in 100% contact with the rotors, so....
Old 04-15-04, 10:49 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by KVA
Congrats...looks great...now your gonna make everyone want big brakes (I already do! )
Tell me about it.......I just can't stop spending.......
Old 04-16-04, 03:56 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm feel'n that setup!!!
Old 04-16-04, 07:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by LXOGOOD

Thanks Ken!

Yeah, I thought I had done all my home work for this mod, but missed this very important point. Ah well, it's still not too late to do it now. I have only driven the car about 120 miles and so far there is hardly any deposit on the rotors.
Old 04-16-04, 07:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
cool, so you sending your brakes my way?
Yeah, here is the tracking number:

INYOURDREAMSBUDDY67809 - I sent it via UPS this morning. You should be getting it by Tuesday next week!

Quick Reply: My GS400 modding journal - commenced Feb. 2003