Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS460 owner vehicles

Shibumi1's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 06:34 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh, you're in Orlando too. You're about to become my best friend lol.
Old 11-06-16, 12:55 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Oh, you're in Orlando too. You're about to become my best friend lol.

lmao... just hmu
Old 02-03-17, 05:34 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Ok.. so this is version 12!!! hopefully last an final. for all the trekkers out there "transparent aluminum" is now a reality. basically a transparent ceramic compound... clear/tinted, colored.. how ever u need it.. and SUPER STRONG!!!
Attached Thumbnails Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170202_071448.jpg  
Old 02-03-17, 09:43 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Looking good! Did you 3D print it? In a standard machine? How do you plan to use "transparent Aluminum"? Can you make it glow or shine an LED thru it?

I just notice the dark area around the L. It's opaque, but is it also the same material? Why is it dark?
Old 02-03-17, 08:40 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice, lemme get it, lol
Old 02-20-17, 07:16 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by comotiger
Looking good! Did you 3D print it? In a standard machine? How do you plan to use "transparent Aluminum"? Can you make it glow or shine an LED thru it?

I just notice the dark area around the L. It's opaque, but is it also the same material? Why is it dark?

sorry it's not 3d printed..(honestly hadn't thought of that.. because I needed something durable) the 1st 11 versions were acrylic (3/8"lexan ) the thickest that can be laser cut w/o melting.(thicker than 3/4" is bulletproof I thought 3/8 would hold up.. it didn't ).. so i sourced out the transparent aluminum.. which is basically a ceramic compound that can be colored or colorless (rarely both in the same solid piece).. my new emblem is 1.125" thick and yes the centers are opaque which became a pain because they cast shadows ruining the effect (the 1st one the centers were opaque all the way thru.. now they're 1/4") the mold was difficult for them to fab (so I had to buy the molds too AND THERE 2 OF THOSE)... .i was told they had to wait for the clear portion to cool enough to release from the 1st mold then they add the black an put it in the 2nd mold reheat the whole thing so it's truly 1 piece .the true test will come later this week when I mold it to the metal in the trunk lid.... multiple materials respond to things differently (temp, vibration, adhesives) ughh!! I get a headache thinking about it.. but that's also the reward when u solve it..
Old 02-20-17, 07:21 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

curious to see how the bondo/duraglass will react to it..

Last edited by Shibumi1; 11-08-19 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-17, 07:30 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
Nice, lemme get it, lol

it's not the most rational thing to do... & since I can't yet guarantee the outcome.( which will also depend on your painters/ bodyshops skills) then theres the $$$$.. RIDICULOUSLY PRICEY... feel free to dm me for more info..
Old 02-20-17, 07:36 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

currently Shi's at the bodyshop for some touch up work.. chips scratches etc...
Attached Thumbnails Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170208_165206.jpg  

Last edited by Shibumi1; 02-20-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 06:52 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

test fit before the molding process begins...(the old emblem has been removed.. along with any extra material.. have I mentioned I hate sanding) this was merely placed into the opening to see how it would look
Attached Thumbnails Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170223_095009.jpg  

Last edited by Shibumi1; 03-20-17 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 02:51 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

update the molding process has begun.. but 1st I needed to reinforce the trunk lid to accept the larger emblem.. previous versions were 3/8" thick.. the transparent aluminum is 1.1/8" thick.. also (as with all previous versions had to take the area back down to bare metal.....
Attached Thumbnails Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170308_172105.jpg   Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170308_172125.jpg   Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170309_155951.jpg   Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170309_155923.jpg   Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170318_164039_1489869663029.jpg  

Old 03-20-17, 12:19 PM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

Yessuurrrrrrrrr
Old 03-20-17, 02:26 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
test fit before the molding process begins...
I don't get it, but why does the transparent aluminum logo have this whitish-blue glow? Will it glow in the dark? The logo looks great. Will you repeat for the front logo also? Unless you have de-badged the front. I think it will look great at both ends.

update the molding process has begun.. but 1st I needed to reinforce the trunk lid to accept the larger emblem.. previous versions were 3/8" thick.. the transparent aluminum is 1.1/8" thick.. also (as with all previous versions had to take the area back down to bare metal.....
Noticed in these pics that the backup camera is not covered. I would tape it up nicely to avoid any dust or scratches.
Old 03-20-17, 07:55 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by comotiger
I don't get it, but why does the transparent aluminum logo have this whitish-blue glow? Will it glow in the dark? The logo looks great. Will you repeat for the front logo also? Unless you have de-badged the front. I think it will look great at both ends.

Noticed in these pics that the backup camera is not covered. I would tape it up nicely to avoid any dust or scratches.

the emblem had the blue glow bcuz it's back lit by rgb leds.(blue at the time of the pic).. as it's a new material to me.. I wanted to make sure it would transfer light the way I'd hoped.. all the other pics the lights had been removed so the molding process could be done... look back through my build thread. when all's said an done the emblem will be invisible unless it's back lit by the leds.. ( my gen 1 vid u can see the finished look.. now I've got more efficient leds with a faster rgb controller)

yes my car is completely debadged (I'm not one for emblems but I got REALLY tired of non car people asking if it was a BMW or a Hyundai) plus this way I get the best of both worlds ... no emblem unless I want it.
I hand built my grill to remove the L badge (b4 an emblemless one was available) so no I'm not putting 1 back up front.. one is cool.. two's trying too hard imho.. on top of being a real pain in the a$$ to do because of engine temp, there's not enough room to make it fit properly, lastly I have a MUCH BETTER IDEA FOR UP FRONT!!

as for the camera I don't understand your concern.. it's exposed 100% of the time in normal use (dirt, dust, water etc)... all of our work is well above the cam.. granted accidents happen but I highly doubt tape will help much..(but thinking about it.. it was covered we pulled the excess materials off for the pic... but again block sanding that area it's highly unlikely to see any damage)

here's a pic I took this afternoon...(I really hate sanding..........)
Attached Thumbnails Shibumi1's Build Thread-20170320_175136.jpg  

Last edited by Shibumi1; 03-20-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 07:59 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

the emblem had the blue glow bcuz it's back lit by rgb leds.(blue at the time of the pic).. as it's a new material to me.. I wanted to make sure it would transfer light the way I'd hoped.. all the other pics the lights had been removed so the molding process could be done... look back through my build thread. when all's said an done the emblem will be invisible unless it's back lit by the leds.. ( my gen 1 vid u can see the finished look.. now I've got more efficient leds with a faster rgb controller)

yes my car is completely debadged (I'm not one for emblems but I got REALLY tired of non car people asking if it was a BMW or a Hyundai) plus this way I get the best of both worlds ... no emblem unless I want it.
I hand built my grill to remove the L badge (b4 an emblemless one was available) so no I'm not putting 1 back up front.. one is cool.. two's trying too hard imho.. on top of being a real pain in the a$$ to do because of engine temp, there's not enough room to make it fit properly, lastly I have a MUCH BETTER IDEA FOR UP FRONT!!

as for the camera I don't understand your concern.. it's exposed 100% of the time in normal use (dirt, dust, water etc)... all of our work is well above the cam.. granted accidents happen but I highly doubt tape will help much..(but thinking about it.. it was covered we pulled the excess materials off for the pic... but again block sanding that area it's highly unlikely to see any damage)

here's a pic I took this afternoon...(I really hate sanding..........)
Thanks, Shibumi, that helps a lot. The videos are especially useful. So, are you re-modding the same car (trunk lid) seen in the videos? I am still a bit puzzled how the LED colors are able to shine thru the black paint and clear coat overlying the transparent aluminum logo. Why isn't the LED light absorbed by the paint pigments?

I can't wait to hear and see what you have planned for the front grille!

Ok, I get your point about the backup camera. I would still worry that the camera will be affected when you are painting the trunk lid, so covering it doesn't hurt.

Quick Reply: Shibumi1's Build Thread