Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 05:27 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

It took a while for me to make the trip to get the PPE headers ceramic coated but I am now one step closer to having this next performance mod completed. The shop did a great job coating the interior and exterior of the headers using their higher-grade matte black finish that is supposed to withstand temps of over 2000 degrees. I chose this version over the base 1300 degree coating in case I do decide to go forced induction one day.

I'm scheduled to get the headers installed next Friday and I'm looking forward to seeing what a tuned I/H/E IS350 with lightweight wheels and LSD can do when launching from a dig.

Last edited by redspencer; 02-24-18 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 10:55 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Looking good! Make sure to spend the extra $$ on new MLS gaskets and new donut gaskets for the install!
Old 02-27-18, 09:04 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Yup, the new gaskets are ready to be included with the install as well.

It's been a while since I posted a picture of my car. Since I finally took the time to clean the wheels after washing the car, the IS350 looks different when the wheels aren't fully covered with brake dust!

Old 02-28-18, 02:08 PM
Gville350

It's missing a HUGE wing off the deck lid!
Old 02-28-18, 04:12 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

^ yeah! you should get an SARD LSR WING!!! Would look badass and you can say you use it because you actually track your car XD
Old 02-28-18, 04:55 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Gville350
It's missing a HUGE wing off the deck lid!
Originally Posted by Aspect
^ yeah! you should get an SARD LSR WING!!! Would look badass and you can say you use it because you actually track your car XD
I actually was on the verge of purchasing the SARD LSR wing several years ago (it's still a piece of art in my eyes).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9060573

I did complete a minor cosmetic mod yesterday. I upgraded my 5000k LED DRL bulbs to a newer version and noticed that these DRL bulbs are extremely bright!

I guess it will help on the track when I make my approach to the rear of the cars in front of me.

Old 02-28-18, 06:44 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I actually was on the verge of purchasing the SARD LSR wing several years ago (it's still a piece of art in my eyes).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9060573

I did complete a minor cosmetic mod yesterday. I upgraded my 5000k LED DRL bulbs to a newer version and noticed that these DRL bulbs are extremely bright!

I guess it will help on the track when I make my approach to the rear of the cars in front of me.

I love the SARD design with the two tier spoiler look, SARD + OEM sport spoiler, kinda like what porsche does with the ducktail and giant wing on the GT3. While you're at it, you should put yellow film on your headlights like at Lemans lol! to distinguish classes and make them move over for the faster cars
Old 03-03-18, 08:58 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Well, good news and bad news. The headers were finally installed yesterday and the drive home was great with no issues. Unfortunately, when I took the car out this morning, within the first ten minutes of driving, I received the dreaded CEL light on the dash. I pulled up the codes and it was P0420 and P0430.

I'm checking with RR Racing to verify if my ECU Tune included the CEL removal. The PPE headers do not have the 02 conditioners. Could it be an exhaust leak within the headers to trigger both codes? I don't think it's a bad 02 sensor as I had a new one installed when one of the old ones was stuck on the header. Hopefully it's as simple as needing an updated tune to eliminate the CEL (if this is the cause).

Thoughts on the probable cause? Do I need to drive the car gently until I resolve this issue?

Last edited by redspencer; 03-03-18 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 10:55 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The car is just finding out you dont have cats, I wouldn't worry about it. I had mine turned off in the tune without any problems, followed by a failure of a sensor anyway. Now I have mine unplugged. If you want, im no longer using my o2 conditioner, but if I were you I would just ask for an updated tune.
Old 03-03-18, 12:41 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by DickH
The car is just finding out you dont have cats, I wouldn't worry about it. I had mine turned off in the tune without any problems, followed by a failure of a sensor anyway. Now I have mine unplugged. If you want, im no longer using my o2 conditioner, but if I were you I would just ask for an updated tune.
Thanks for the advise and the offer. I thought my original tune included the CEL removal for the deleted primary cats but apparently not. I contacted PPE and this was the same conclusion as well.

Since I don't have the OBD unit (I got my tune when it was first released back in early 2016), it will be a short while before I can get a revised tune to clear the CEL. I did remove the negative terminal from my battery at after starting up the car, there was no CEL but I'm pretty sure it will rear its ugly head again once I start driving it again.

The headers do add some additional volume to the exhaust which was expected. When I'm driving around 80+mph, I'm having to feather the throttle more to minimize the loudness of the drone with wasn't as apparent with just the F-Sport exhaust. In the end, I'm sure all these growing pains will be worth it!
Old 03-05-18, 02:25 PM
Gville350

You might want to try installing some O2 elbows with extenders to help fool the system temporarily :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-oxygen-s...JROrN3&vxp=mtr

I get CELs from time to time, but mine are different codes. I think mine are from hidden rust in the mid pipe under the heat shielding causing my codes. When I installed my headers, I had to drop the mid pipe; in doing so, it probably made the rust problem/hole worse. Only on my passenger side ATM.

Yep, the header definitely add loudness to the entire setup!
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (03-08-18)
Old 03-07-18, 11:44 AM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I chose this version over the base 1300 degree coating in case I do decide to go forced induction one day.
I am fairly certain you would need new headers (if talking about a turbo). if you choose to mod the existing headers, it would still need to be recoated.

unless you are talking about super charging? love what youre doing with the car BTW! I feel like a lot of people dismiss these cars as good platforms to have fun on the track.
Old 03-08-18, 01:35 PM
Gville350

^Yeah, he is considering the RR Racing S/C setup that they're still developing.
Old 03-08-18, 04:12 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Yeah, it would be the supercharger kit from RR Racing if I ever chose the route of forced induction (though my recent CEL experiences reminded me of the consequences when you start to heavily modify the powertrain).

Speaking of CELs, I contacted RR Racing and they'll be sending me an OBD Unit for me to retune my IS350 so I can get rid of this obnoxious CEL warning (hopefully there's an additional map for FBO setups).
Old 03-11-18, 09:23 AM
Mikes08
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@redspencer mind if I pick your brain a little?? I was able to convince my wife not to trade in her 08' IS250 6sp. She's currently getting an '18 toyota Camry xse v6 and now we have an extra car because my daily driver is an 2008 toyota sequoia, and with two boys it's perfect...lol My initial plan was to swap in a 2jzgte but, after finding out it will be well over 15K with engine swap and fabrication it was not going to happen with two kids, a wife, and a mortgage lol. There's one guy that seemed to have pulled it off with an IS350 and automatic transmission who lives down here in south Florida but, the shop is closed and he seemed to have vanished.

But anyways, I work in law enforcement and while working a detail at dolphin stadium sometime back, I saw cars whizzing through cones at a moderate speeds nothing ridiculous and it seem like these cars were not heavily modified. Every single driver had a smile on their face once they completed the course. And I though to my self what is that??? These were normal looking cars with taped on numbers and some had magnetic numbers, the drivers had helmets some even had shorts on lol.. This reminded me of the police academy when we had to take the squad cars around the track for tactical driving and learning how to apex into a curve that was fun!! The cool thing about what I saw was at the end of the event everybody got into the same cars and drove home . Nobody loaded their cars into trailers or anything like that . My question is to you how many times a year do you track your car?? And with all the suspension upgrades for the track does it benefit on to the street?? I've been following your build thread for a while now and it inspired me to keep this car and use it for autocross I know it's not a IS F or GS F and it does not put down tons of power but, with some suspension upgrades it can be fun on the track. Also the Mazda Miata must be a popular car because I saw a bunch of them out there on the track. This kinda fits my weekend warrior lifestyle I also found a club down here Equipe Rapide Sports Car Club they have events right down the street from me at the BB&T center where the Florida Panthers play I'm going to check them out soon. Thanks for you input in advance.

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread