Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 01:13 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I found some throttle body stuff on the tundras forums. They take out the TB gasket, and replaced it with a non grilled version. Months back I got an extra gasket, and cut out the metal grill out.

Now I've searched for days and couldn't get a definite answer to the purpose of it.

The Tundra guys remove it, because when they get intakes they getting a whistle noise.

What I found out it makes the throttle induction more noisy. So I don't know if it's letting more in or what. I could hear the noise inside the cabin. So I took it off again, and put a replacement back in. I would wonder if you would see any maf g/s increase with out it.
I'm not sure if this is the actual purpose of the grill design of the throttle body gasket but I think it would help support a last ditch effort of preventing sizeable Foreign Object Damage (FOD) from entering the intake manifold, valves, combustion chamber, etc. I actually thought about this specific item last week when I removed the carbon filter inside of the intake box and the potential negative side effects.

Originally Posted by DickH
Good luck on the dyno, you have to clear 300hp this time. I went back and looked at your posted maf numbers and it looks like you picked up ~6% more airflow. That alone should put you on the 300hp line, with the timing adjustment putting you over.

Which intake are you going to run on the Dyno? You should try a run where you flip the lid to the air box to reduce that restriction.
I'm using the JoeZ intake pipe with lower F-Sport intake box as my intake setup for this dyno run. Speaking of which, I did make it to the dyno earlier today.

I went back on the same dynojet from last year (April 2018); This time, the IS350 came equipped with the Megan Racing Midpipes which removed the previous exhaust flow bottleneck from using the OEM midpipes w/ cats. Now the engine can fully take advantage of the headers!

This dyno pull gained +11 RWHP and +20 ft/lbs torque over the previous dyno. IS350 made a consistent 293 RWHP and 286 ft/lbs on multiple pulls. It will likely crack 300rwhp on a more generous dynojet as the shop owner mentioned that this dynojet tends to read slightly lower than others.

I'm currently waiting for the shop to email me the dyno graph of today's pulls but in the meantime, enjoy this video (and turn up the volume).

Last edited by redspencer; 03-06-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 08:53 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

So close to the 300hp mark, you can call it 300hp within a margin of error. Your torque is pretty decent, that's probably the highest be torque number I've seen. It will be interesting to compare the dyno graphs.
Old 03-07-19, 07:24 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Good job! That is sweet music there!
Any chance you can get the AFR, ignition, and cam shaft advance data?

And do you know, does there flash even touch the cam positions?
FWIW I have the flash hardware, mygenius and all that but they can't touch it until I send them my ECM. No love for the 2013 gang.....
Old 03-07-19, 10:55 AM
redspencer
OG Member

So close to the 300hp mark, you can call it 300hp within a margin of error. Your torque is pretty decent, that's probably the highest be torque number I've seen. It will be interesting to compare the dyno graphs.
I was very surprised to hear how much the torque had increased when comparing the two dyno results using the same dynojet. I wonder how much the dyno rwhp and ft/lbs readings equate to in crank horsepower and torque. If the 2GR-FSE engine is making 100 hp per liter, I'd be a happy camper.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Good job! That is sweet music there!
Any chance you can get the AFR, ignition, and cam shaft advance data?

And do you know, does there flash even touch the cam positions?
FWIW I have the flash hardware, mygenius and all that but they can't touch it until I send them my ECM. No love for the 2013 gang.....
Unfortunately, I forgot to turn on the Torque Pro app when the IS350 was on the dyno. I had the bluetooth OBD adapter in the car and ready to go but in the excitement, I forgot to start logging the data. I'm unfortunately not sure what the inner workings of the tune compose of.

Well, sorry for the delay but I have finally received the new dyno graph for all to review and provide input. Oddly, the dyno wasn't capturing the data from the peak RPM range of 6900-7200. The operator assured me that the transmission was in S-mode with 4th gear selected as the gear limiter.

If we go by what the previous dyno results were, the torque would continue to drop though the horsepower rating should still be within the same slope/peak hp range.

Old 03-07-19, 12:53 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Glad this thread is still of value to multiple CL members. though new upgrades to my IS350 have slowed down, I'll still be experimenting with modifying certain aspects of the vehicle for further refinement and improvements and taking the Lexus to the track for some fun while observing what else can be improved to the IS350 and myself as the driver
IS(350) owners are not the only ones enjoying the thread... I don't think I've seen a bigger/better write-up on 2IS/3GS chassis upgrades yet. Only problem is sometimes (well, a bit more often than that ) I wish I'd gotten an IS350 instead... *promptly hides and proceeds to continue looking at nb miatas*

Seriously awesome thread!
Old 03-07-19, 01:10 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
IS(350) owners are not the only ones enjoying the thread... I don't think I've seen a bigger/better write-up on 2IS/3GS chassis upgrades yet. Only problem is sometimes (well, a bit more often than that ) I wish I'd gotten an IS350 instead... *promptly hides and proceeds to continue looking at nb miatas*

Seriously awesome thread!
Thanks for visiting the build thread and the kind words. Hopefully there's lessons and ideas embedded in this thread to give you ideas on future mods for your platform, whether it be tire upgrades, sway bars, steering ECUs, intake pipes with sound generators, etc.

Old 03-07-19, 01:15 PM
JGO
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful graph!
Old 03-07-19, 01:55 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Wish we could, without harming the valvetrain, ride out the rpms until a visible loss in WHP. Wait, doesn't your tuned ECU allow you to rev to 7200/7400?
Old 03-07-19, 05:41 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Thanks for visiting the build thread and the kind words. Hopefully there's lessons and ideas embedded in this thread to give you ideas on future mods for your platform, whether it be tire upgrades, sway bars, steering ECUs, intake pipes with sound generators, etc.
Suspension and chassis is where it's at for the hybrids for now... oh and an LSD - haven't done much research but I think the housing is shared. Somebody on the russian club lexus forum has already done quite a bit of research of torsens fitting in the 450h, wondering if that's a good intermediate
As for suspension/chassis - from what I've read bushings are shared, shocks are interchangeable, general suspension design is the same... etc.

I'm wondering if the 450h's hybrid system can handle more power from the engine like the highlander hybrid (look up the turbo on that one ^_^), but IMO the main thing that it needs is a "keep the engine at high revs at all times ready to go tesla style" mode. Possible with "manual gears" and mashing it into the lowest possible all the time, somewhat convenient with modded steering wheel with shifters
Old 03-07-19, 05:59 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That graph is gorgeous. Super flat torque curve that starts to fall as horsepower plateaus. Exactly what I like to see.
Old 03-08-19, 06:20 AM
DickH
Intermediate

I am looking at your graph compared to last years and noticed that it looks like your power was increased and brought back ~300rpm. It really looks like your HP should continue to climb when it just goes flat. Larger exhaust should have moved your powerband up in the RPMs a little so I am wondering if the oem airbox is now your next restriction. We should work something out next time you get on a dyno and ill send you my 3.5" intake and machined throttle body to try out.
Old 03-08-19, 06:59 AM
redspencer
OG Member

I am looking at your graph compared to last years and noticed that it looks like your power was increased and brought back ~300rpm. It really looks like your HP should continue to climb when it just goes flat. Larger exhaust should have moved your powerband up in the RPMs a little so I am wondering if the oem airbox is now your next restriction. We should work something out next time you get on a dyno and ill send you my 3.5" intake and machined throttle body to try out.
I noticed this as well. Here are the two graphs side by side (old vs new) for visual comparison:

* One item to note between these two graphs:
- Old graph- ECT PWR was used which made recording TQ and HP at WOT under 4.5k-5.0k RPMs near impossible.
- New graph- I later learned that ECT Snow mode was the way to go and was used to properly record the lower/mid RPM range at WOT on this new graph.

As you noticed, the HP and Torque curves appear to intersect at 5252 RPMs on the old dyno graph vice ~5400 RPMs on the new dyno graph which is odd.

Regarding the 7200 RPM not fully showing on the dyno graph, the dyno operator assured me that the transmission was in S-Mode with the gear limiter set to 4th (which is the only way to go beyond the stock rev limit and to the 7k+ range in 4th gear). The more I think about it, the more I believe this is true as all five pulls resulted in the car bouncing off the rev limiter (which wouldn't happen if the transmission was left on auto/D mode as it would simply upshift to 5th gear). It still doesn't explain why the dyno graph cuts off around 6.8k-6.9k RPMs... Perhaps the Engine RPM reading on the graph is not fully accurate (maybe it has to do with my 275/35/18 rear tires not being the exact same size as the OEM diameter)?

Last edited by redspencer; 03-08-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 07:15 AM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The torque and horsepower aren't scaled the same. Look at the numbers on the side of the graph. That the reason the intersection is different. If they were scaled the same it would show the crossover at 5252.
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (03-08-19)
Old 03-08-19, 07:15 AM
DickH
Intermediate

If you look closely at the graph that crosses over at 5400rpm you will see that the HP and TQ are not quite scaled the same. How did they measure your RPM? It is possible that their math was wrong if your tire diameter differs from what they go off of and might account for some of the 20tq gain.
Old 03-08-19, 07:25 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by Cronus1995
The torque and horsepower aren't scaled the same. Look at the numbers on the side of the graph. That the reason the intersection is different. If they were scaled the same it would show the crossover at 5252.
That makes sense.

If you look closely at the graph that crosses over at 5400rpm you will see that the HP and TQ are not quite scaled the same. How did they measure your RPM? It is possible that their math was wrong if your tire diameter differs from what they go off of and might account for some of the 20tq gain.
Not sure but looking back, I also had 275/35/18 tires last year when the first dyno run was conducted so I don't think the tire size was a factor in this case. However, I am certain that the car did hit the 7200 RPM rev limit (due to bouncing off the rev limiter) and is odd that the graph either didn't capture the 6.9-7.2k range (might be software related as suggested by the dyno operator).

Last edited by redspencer; 03-08-19 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread