Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 01:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
That's depressing but you're a good man. Happy wife, happy life!
Haha thanks. That is so true, there is nothing worse than a miserable wife. As long as using the garage for storage makes her happy, all is well. Now if I can just figure out a way to slip a Bendpak in there...
Old 09-13-20, 12:22 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Here's a booty shot of the new whip.
I vote four post lift! Looking good man! Enjoy! PS - what mods before it makes 250 miles? Haha!
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (09-13-20), redspencer (09-15-20)
Old 09-13-20, 02:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Personally, I wouldn't mod it. I would keep it 100 percent stock. This is a piece of history in your garage. It would be like Da Vinci painted you an updated version of the Mona Lisa and you decided to paint a mustache. Don't do it!
The following users liked this post:
redspencer (09-15-20)
Old 09-14-20, 01:31 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I agree with keeping it 100% stock! That blue though, oh so yummy!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gville350:
AMIRZA786 (09-14-20), redspencer (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 03:37 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I vote four post lift! Looking good man! Enjoy! PS - what mods before it makes 250 miles? Haha!
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Personally, I wouldn't mod it. I would keep it 100 percent stock. This is a piece of history in your garage. It would be like Da Vinci painted you an updated version of the Mona Lisa and you decided to paint a mustache. Don't do it!
Originally Posted by Gville350
I agree with keeping it 100% stock! That blue though, oh so yummy!
You guys aren't too far off with my plans to this A91 Supra. I actually did my first 'mod' to the car today which is applying XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film (PPF) to the front bumper, the front portion of the hood, headlights, A pillars, and the leading edge of the roof. With a 10 year warranty, the PPF should help keep the Supra protected from rock chips and other minor hazards whenever I get the opportunity to go WOT (which I've yet to do as the car has been sitting in the garage the past week). I'm very impressed at how invisible the film looks on the car.

As far as actually mods, eagle eyed viewers will notice that this A91 Special Edition is missing a key part that was part of the package which is the painted carbon fiber rear spoiler. Due to the pandemic, production of the carbon fiber spoiler is delayed until winter. Once it arrives at the dealership, it will get installed at no additional cost.

The other future mods will be more discreet as the plan is to do a simple downpipe and tune upgrade. It should bump the power level from 382rwhp to ~480rwhp on 93 octane. Not sure if I'll ever use 100 octane but the skies the limit with this platform and tuning potential (it also doesn't hurt that one of the premiere Supra tuners, Titan Motorsports, is only a few miles from where I live).
​​​​
AMIRZA786 (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 04:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I would say the PP is perfectly acceptable, I guess DP as well! Just keep her as close to stock as possible!
redspencer (09-15-20)
Old 09-16-20, 01:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,271 Posts

More Boost! That's the spirit! I approve of this Mod!
The following 3 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (09-16-20), kenji211 (12-02-20), redspencer (09-16-20)
Old 09-18-20, 12:24 PM
redspencer
OG Member

I was finally able to do a side-by-side photo shoot with the IS350 and the A91 Supra today. I think it turned out pretty well. Enjoy! ​​​​​​

The following 4 users liked this post by redspencer:
2013FSport (09-18-20), AMIRZA786 (09-18-20), jreancsu (11-19-20), MikeFig82 (09-25-20)
Old 09-18-20, 01:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Awesome! I'm drooling
Old 11-27-20, 04:18 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Hope everyone is doing well and is enjoying their Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't posted in this thread in a while as I haven't done any AutoX or HPDEs lately nor have I done any recent mods to the IS350. After spending the morning waxing the IS350C, I decided to make a brief walk-through video of the cars that occupy both the garage and driveway (it's definitely getting crowded which is both a good and bad thing). Each vehicle has their own purpose/specialty which I guess justifies the collection.

Which is the most fun to drive? Surprisingly, the Redspencer IS350 can still hold its own against the newer and more advanced Supra (minus the straight line acceleration).
The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
2013FSport (11-27-20), AMIRZA786 (11-27-20)
Old 11-27-20, 10:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hope everyone is doing well and is enjoying their Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't posted in this thread in a while as I haven't done any AutoX or HPDEs lately nor have I done any recent mods to the IS350. After spending the morning waxing the IS350C, I decided to make a brief walk-through video of the cars that occupy both the garage and driveway (it's definitely getting crowded which is both a good and bad thing). Each vehicle has their own purpose/specialty which I guess justifies the collection.

https://youtu.be/hST7UEAysgI

Which is the most fun to drive? Surprisingly, the Redspencer IS350 can still hold its own against the newer and more advanced Supra (minus the straight line acceleration).
Ah, the garage Queens! A happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!
redspencer (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 08:49 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Ah, the garage Queens! A happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!
Yeah, it looks like I do have a pair of garage queens as the A91 Supra and IS350C tend to be weekend drivers.

To add to the Supra vs IS350 driver impressions, as my IS350 is heavily modified, the upgraded suspension and OS Giken differential makes the IS350 punch above its class in the handling department. The steering feel and responsiveness on the IS350 are excellent and traction in the corners is kept in check thanks to the Bilstein shocks and LSD. As I have not yet taken my A91 Supra to an autoX or HPDE track day, I've yet to explore the limits of this car. I can definitely sense how rigid the chassis is, the "golden ratio" of the wheelbase to track width, and how low the center of gravity is in comparison to the IS350 (and is comparable to the chassis of the Lexus LFA without the exotic materials). This should make the Supra feel like a scalpel on the track (as long as RWD traction can be maintained from the instant torque). At the moment, I feel more comfortable pushing the limits on the IS350 as the visibility is superior towards the front, sides, and rear. The Supra has multiple blind spots and the long hood makes it a challenge for me to judge where and when to point the wheels if I want to maximize the width of the road in a corner. It will take practice but I'll eventually be able to wring out its potential. I definitely won't make it easier for myself when I get the Supra tuned for more power next month.
AMIRZA786 (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 12:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it looks like I do have a pair of garage queens as the A91 Supra and IS350C tend to be weekend drivers.

To add to the Supra vs IS350 driver impressions, as my IS350 is heavily modified, the upgraded suspension and OS Giken differential makes the IS350 punch above its class in the handling department. The steering feel and responsiveness on the IS350 are excellent and traction in the corners is kept in check thanks to the Bilstein shocks and LSD. As I have not yet taken my A91 Supra to an autoX or HPDE track day, I've yet to explore the limits of this car. I can definitely sense how rigid the chassis is, the "golden ratio" of the wheelbase to track width, and how low the center of gravity is in comparison to the IS350 (and is comparable to the chassis of the Lexus LFA without the exotic materials). This should make the Supra feel like a scalpel on the track (as long as RWD traction can be maintained from the instant torque). At the moment, I feel more comfortable pushing the limits on the IS350 as the visibility is superior towards the front, sides, and rear. The Supra has multiple blind spots and the long hood makes it a challenge for me to judge where and when to point the wheels if I want to maximize the width of the road in a corner. It will take practice but I'll eventually be able to wring out its potential. I definitely won't make it easier for myself when I get the Supra tuned for more power next month.
I can't imagine how much better your IS350 drives with your "updates". With the few I've done, mine drives amazing. One question: do the Bilstein shocks make your car ride very stiff? The stock kyb's on my IS350 Sport are already pretty stiff, not so much as to make it a jarring ride, but definitely you feel the difference going from my other cars (2013 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Camry SE & now the newest addition, 2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV). I'm hoping when I change out to the F-Sport suspension next year I'll get a better ride.

If your inclined to driving a manual, an alternative choice to the Supra would be a Lotus Evora. A co-worker picked up a used low mileage 2017 Evora for $60K, that thing is awesome! It has the 3.5L supercharged V6 (Toyota Camry engine), that thing books, but not very comfortable to drive. It would definitely be a weekend/track car if I had the money to buy one! My son and I are planning to pick up a used 90's MR2 and do a V6 engine swap. I have the engine already, next year I'm going to buy my daughter either a Corolla or Civic and pull the 3.3L V6 from the Camry she currently drives. I just need to find a decent good condition MR2 for cheap...
Old 12-01-20, 07:09 PM
redspencer
OG Member

I can't imagine how much better your IS350 drives with your "updates". With the few I've done, mine drives amazing. One question: do the Bilstein shocks make your car ride very stiff? The stock kyb's on my IS350 Sport are already pretty stiff, not so much as to make it a jarring ride, but definitely you feel the difference going from my other cars (2013 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Camry SE & now the newest addition, 2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV). I'm hoping when I change out to the F-Sport suspension next year I'll get a better ride.

If your inclined to driving a manual, an alternative choice to the Supra would be a Lotus Evora. A co-worker picked up a used low mileage 2017 Evora for $60K, that thing is awesome! It has the 3.5L supercharged V6 (Toyota Camry engine), that thing books, but not very comfortable to drive. It would definitely be a weekend/track car if I had the money to buy one! My son and I are planning to pick up a used 90's MR2 and do a V6 engine swap. I have the engine already, next year I'm going to buy my daughter either a Corolla or Civic and pull the 3.3L V6 from the Camry she currently drives. I just need to find a decent good condition MR2 for cheap...
Yeah, the TRD/F-Sport Bilstein shocks are pretty stiff and you'll feel every bump on the surface of the road. It's not jarring bad but I'd say they do offer a bumpier ride than the Supra in Sport Mode. They are fantastic performance shocks though which is why I've had no desire to upgrade to coilovers.

A second gen MR2 with a 2GR-FE swap would make for a fantastic project car. Plenty of owners have done this swap with great results.

Regarding the Evora, that was my top choice prior to the MKV Supra being released. I've mentioned both the Evora S and 400 as my go to purchase should the performance capabilities of the new Supra not meet my expectations. Several years back, I was on my way to a dealership 3 hours away in South Florida to purchase a lightly used Evora S but as I was about 30 minutes away, someone from out of state purchased it. I learned that putting a deposit on a potential purchase is important. Lol.

That lesson came in handy as the IS350C I purchased last year was freshly loaded at a Jeep dealership lot and as soon as it was listed online, I happened to have seen the ad that same day and had put my deposit down. Soon after, callers from other states were wanting to do the same. The sales people were definitely not expecting a high demand on an unassuming hardtop Lexus convertible.

Speaking of that IS350C, here are a few new pics of it with the other cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by redspencer:
AMIRZA786 (12-01-20), Jasonlex (01-03-21), MikeFig82 (12-02-20)
Old 12-02-20, 11:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yeah, the TRD/F-Sport Bilstein shocks are pretty stiff and you'll feel every bump on the surface of the road. It's not jarring bad but I'd say they do offer a bumpier ride than the Supra in Sport Mode. They are fantastic performance shocks though which is why I've had no desire to upgrade to coilovers.

A second gen MR2 with a 2GR-FE swap would make for a fantastic project car. Plenty of owners have done this swap with great results.

Regarding the Evora, that was my top choice prior to the MKV Supra being released. I've mentioned both the Evora S and 400 as my go to purchase should the performance capabilities of the new Supra not meet my expectations. Several years back, I was on my way to a dealership 3 hours away in South Florida to purchase a lightly used Evora S but as I was about 30 minutes away, someone from out of state purchased it. I learned that putting a deposit on a potential purchase is important. Lol.

That lesson came in handy as the IS350C I purchased last year was freshly loaded at a Jeep dealership lot and as soon as it was listed online, I happened to have seen the ad that same day and had put my deposit down. Soon after, callers from other states were wanting to do the same. The sales people were definitely not expecting a high demand on an unassuming hardtop Lexus convertible.

Speaking of that IS350C, here are a few new pics of it with the other cars.
That is such a beautiful, cool car! I just got my wife a 2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV (36 month lease, $190 a month). She drives a 2013 Toyota Sienna, and now that the kids are grown she mostly drives it herself and commutes to work in it, which is roughly 20 miles a day each way. The Sienna eats way too much gas for one person to drive everyday. The Ioniq is cool in a practical way. It's very comfortable, well built and efficient. So although it's not "cool", it's still cool, if you know what I mean!

Quick Reply: Redspencer's Track-Tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken LSD Build Thread