Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Kahn's USDM 2JZGTE swap thread (aka The "Not Easy" Way)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 10:00 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

ross, in the near future yes that has been the plan. Although I do like the machine shop I used to clean and measure the engine block and I am considering having them do just the lower part of the short block instead.

The cylinder head I am definitely having a professional shop take care of. Bolting it on I will do myself. Same with the twin turbos. The overall assembly of the engine's components I will be doing once it's able to be installed on an engine stand.

Then I just need to get the car and GTE engine in the same place.
Old 09-08-16, 10:01 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I would definately go with the engine overhaul gasket kit....I believe best price I found was from MVP...but check with Elmhurst Toyota and compare them......Have been finding that toyota has been cheaper in some instances...

Also I assume you are getting new oil pump and water pump?
Old 09-08-16, 11:30 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I would definately go with the engine overhaul gasket kit....I believe best price I found was from MVP...but check with Elmhurst Toyota and compare them......Have been finding that toyota has been cheaper in some instances...

Also I assume you are getting new oil pump and water pump?
I will check out both, thanks!

And yes, I have a brand new GTE water pump and GTE oil pump to use. Nearly all parts will be going in brand new.
Old 09-09-16, 12:09 AM
KahnBB6

These didn't upload earlier so... a couple of gratuitous shots of one GTE piston out of the bunch

Old 09-09-16, 04:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

For stock parts Toyotaonlineparts dot com .. cheapest I found so far
Old 09-09-16, 06:08 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by gerrb
For stock parts Toyotaonlineparts dot com .. cheapest I found so far
Gerry, thank you! I'm going to check them out soon for the next round of parts.

Not much new to report right now. My ECU is next in line for capacitor repair with Driftmotion and the ARP main and rod studs are on standby for me since I'll be picking everything up with them locally.

I spoke to Aaron @ DM about my GTE head and I'll probably do a drop off of that, the TT cams and the disassembled original valve-train next week when I pick up the other things. They'll hot tank that, measure it for flatness and inspect everything to set a baseline for what needs to be done. If it needs some machining I'll have that done and see what their quote is to set it up again within factory clearances.

Next after that will be to come back to the 6-speed engine harness prep work and pick up where I left off with it.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-09-16 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 02:28 AM
KahnBB6

Another sidetrack project. It seems my mirror control ECU has gone out so I will need to replace that. Annoying because my passenger side mirror is stuck in a downward facing position.

The pictures are now gone but I am going to follow KingPhilip's guide for replacing it in this thread (refer to page 8, post #117):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...e-flame-8.html

In an old thread Aliga listed the SC mirror control ECU as:
89430-24020
615055-000

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-12-16 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 02:20 PM
KahnBB6

OEM GTE piston ring kit arrival today

Old 09-12-16, 02:36 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Looks like you will be busy this winter !
Old 09-13-16, 02:15 PM
KahnBB6

Indeed, Gerry! I'll be prepared for sure!

I'll have the 6-speed ECU back this week and the ARP main studs and ARP rod studs. I'll drop the GTE head and hardware off at the same time and see what their initial findings are. It's a toss-up as to whether or not I'll have the head rebuilt or not by December. We'll see. It's more than likely I'll need to order some replacement OEM valve-train parts aside from intake and exhaust stem seals.

I think I'll also bring the USDM twins with me also for a cursory inspection.

I was able to get an acceptable price on a new mirror control ECU from a dealer. Japan was a bit cheaper shipped but the part couldn't be ordered right now (they did not say it was discontinued, just not in immediate stock at current time) so I got one here. They still have them, fortunately. I'll probably delay that side repair project as long as possible and just not mess with my mirror adjustment for now, lol. Yesterday they worked again and I was able to re-adjust the passenger side mirror.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-13-16 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 02:21 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

here you are again on those USDM Twins .. lmaol. You quit being a perfectionist , lol.

I have those mirror ecus if you are referring to the ecu near the top of your pedals that control the side mirrors.
Old 09-14-16, 01:00 AM
KahnBB6

lol! It's only going to be for them to look at since I'll be there dropping off the cylinder head and picking up the 6-speed ECU anyway Getting those turbos worked on anytime soon isn't in my immediate budget. But once I get this entire engine together, bolt those on and lower the whole assembly into the car I will not look forward to having to pull them out again anytime soon for any reason. That's where my thinking comes from. I have the USDM twin gasket rebuild kit already. This entire build has been founded on having contingency plans

Concerning the mirror ECU: if I had not been able to find one new from Toyota at a price I could stomach (I did... just barely.) then I would have contacted you to ask if you had a source for one, Gerry. They don't seem to turn up used very often. Having a new one on standby is peace of mind since it's an electronic part specific to the chassis compared to the massive parts support our JZ engines have in general.

For the time being however I am going to avoid installing it as long as possible. Needing to remove the entire dash to get to the old one is insane on Toyota's part.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-14-16 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 11:40 AM
KahnBB6

I picked up my 6-speed ECU yesterday-- good as new! With it the ARP main studs, ARP rod studs and also a spare M/T shift bezel.

Dropping off the GTE cylinder head and valve-train I decided let them rebuild it after the initial inspection and baselining unless ALL the parts require replacing. New valve stem seals will go in and most likely the springs and retainers will get replaced. Nothing exotic here. Everything is going back to stock.

Several R154's in for service here at Driftmotion... or maybe some are in their stock for sale. Not sure. There's also a JDM 2JZGTE bolted to a V161 behind all of this.

Two MKIII Supras in for service. Both look like the 1986-1988 front end style.

Old 09-15-16, 12:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Nice!! looks like you are making good progress.
Old 09-15-16, 12:52 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

The guy in the picture is in serious dilemma ....

Saying to himself .. What the hell will I do with this cylinder ...with Craig's OCD and being a perfectionist . I can't afford to screw up a bit. This one should be spotless and looking like brand new after assembly ..... HHmmmm , I will drop it into a hydrochloric solution and should be spotless after .. hahahaha

kidding aside , almost there Craig . Looks like spring won't be here and you got a GTE SC300 .

Quick Reply: Kahn's USDM 2JZGTE swap thread (aka The "Not Easy" Way)