Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Kahn's USDM 2JZGTE swap thread (aka The "Not Easy" Way)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 12:40 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Recently I had my driver’s side mirror go floppy due to worn out grooves that hold the big internal spring in place with a c-clip. I was able to source a brand new LH mirror in 202 Black Onyx (my SC’s color) but it was a base model spec so I had to dismantle my old mirror and the new one, de-pin both mirror connectors and swap my car’s mirror wiring harness into the new mirror assembly.

The end result was perfect!

If a new mirror assembly hadn’t been available I’d have just repaired my old assembly with the DIY to drill the spring column for a strong stainless steel pin or nail to hold the spring in place again.

My instrument cluster has been out while I wait on it to be repaired by Tanin Auto Electronix and sent back to me.

And then there’s this, an ambitious side project for the SC:

This is a Z30 Soarer manual telescope and manual tilt steering column, column cover (in Spruce plastic color) and a spare 1995+ U.S. model turn signal stalk.

After some dogged research I found that the Soarer and SC used the same steering column, the same column cover and basically nothing different in that area other than reversed signal and wiper stalks, slightly different wiring (I think?) and a different ignition key tumbler with bolts into the same location as on the SC.

If I am correct then this means I am looking at basically the same parts that came on manual tilt/telescope 1992-1994 SC base models.

And with a little work that is what I intend to convert my SC to. I will have to swap over an entire LHD U.S./Canadian SC turn signal and wiper click assembly since it's a mirror flipped design for the Soarer Z30 to put its wiper and turn signal stalks on the opposite sides. Then I have to retain from the Soarer and swap back over a part of the black plastic that surrounds the left side where the U.S. style turn signal goes. This allows the manual steering column cover to go on as it should since there will no longer be a joystick bezel control surface for the motorized version of the steering column.

Additionally I will need to double check all the wiring connections with my multimeter after swapping over the USDM turn signal and wiper stalks.

However the main column assembly seems to carry right over between the Soarer and SC. The Soarer and SC ignition tumbler assemblies seem to bolt into the exact same locations since on an SC the ignition key is closer to the radio above the driver's right knee while on a RHD Soarer Z30 it is located right by that car's driver door (aka our USDM LHD passenger door).

The column cover assemblies also appear to be carryovers between the LHD and RHD cars as well regardless of whether the Soarer or SC has the automatic or manual steering column.

Toyota in this case didn't really change much on our steering column designs between RHD and LHD other than the turn signal and wiper click base assembly, the reversed stalks and the clock spring (the Soarer appears to have a different clock spring part number compared to the SC).

Hopefully I’m right about all of this and won’t make a big mess!

I have all the TSRM and owners manual pages printed out for dealing with the auto and manual steering columns so fingers crossed. I will be taking my time with this project.

I have considered options to paint this Spruce color manual column cover black but given the fine original texture that all of these hard interior plastic parts have I am concerned that the paint prep stage would scuff it off. Further I really don’t know if a repaint to another color will last as long as the original factor color will.

I will probably leave its color alone despite it not being Greige, gray or black from the factory.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-06-21 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 07:18 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Craig, another option for the color change. There is an English company that has leather products for the SC's and I have bought several for my cars. One is a black leather steering column cover that is installed with spray adhesive. I will install mine when I install my three spoke wheel (have one but looking for another). Not sure if you would have to modify it with the route you are going. This company sells their products on E Bay. They have a smooth leather and one that has a dimpled pattern. Good Luck.
Old 09-06-21, 02:59 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
provided a wealth of knowledge to on-lookers in the future! they truly are turn-key GT cars that beg you to get them out on the road!
The harder I drive it the better it runs, has been my experience. It wants to Run, and in all these yrs has never broken down on me anywhere. Thats how I know! 👍
Old 09-06-21, 10:30 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Craig, another option for the color change. There is an English company that has leather products for the SC's and I have bought several for my cars. One is a black leather steering column cover that is installed with spray adhesive. I will install mine when I install my three spoke wheel (have one but looking for another). Not sure if you would have to modify it with the route you are going. This company sells their products on E Bay. They have a smooth leather and one that has a dimpled pattern. Good Luck.
Thanks for the heads up, Bill! I think however in this case I will want to stay with the bare plastic whether it is left in the original color or if I do paint it. I don't want to get into using any spray on adhesives that could break down over time in the hot sun. Honestly the more I have held up the Spruce color column cover to my interior I'm less and less bothered by it. If I could find another one in factory beige, gray or black I might swap it out in the future but as you might have assumed these aren't plentiful in the world and no new old stock examples exist for sale any longer. The cosmetic condition of this one is so good it will probably prove difficult to find one in the same clean shape.

Thank you for the kind words of support! I will be showing how I convert this manual column with USDM signal and wiper stalks to bolt in. It's not easy to find everything needed for sale but hopefully it can be good documentation if anyone else wants to make this happen for their SC.
Old 09-07-21, 04:54 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

i look forward to your next educational installment.
Old 09-07-21, 07:45 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Very interesting! I dig this swap - any time I can get rid of a troublesome system and replace it with something mechanical and simple I'm all about it.
Old 09-07-21, 08:08 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I agree Rudy and that's my goal as well. I feel it wouldn't be as fitting on a late model SC like a 1999 SC300 or SC400 with all the luxury features emphasized more but it technically can be done to any 92-00 SC or Z30 Soarer that has the automatic column.

I am waiting on a couple of other parts to come in before I can start prepping the assembly and put my theory but I don't see any dead ends to this mini project so far. It is sourcing all the parts required that is most challenging. They're almost all used now and they aren't very common to see listed unless perhaps you're located in Japan, Australia or the UK. For instance the column cover by itself I found listed in England and had shipped overseas.

We'll see if it's all ultimately worth it. I can say right now however that any version of the SC and Soarer steering columns are seriously built to last just like the rest of these cars. The SC/Soarer's manual tele/tilt column mechanism is no exception just like the motorized automatic column. There is absolutely no cheap construction in either of them. Tanks.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-07-21 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 08:21 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Great post. I'm going to keep an eye on this in case I ever have the chance to snag a manual column.
Old 09-07-21, 08:41 PM
KahnBB6

Default SC300/400/Soarer Manual Tilt/Telescope Column Swap Project - Part 1

Originally Posted by Turbostar
Great post. I'm going to keep an eye on this in case I ever have the chance to snag a manual column.
I'm happy to inform. The parts will never be very common to find but they are out there if you know what to look for. Being honest I lucked out and saw two Soarer manual columns for sale and one column cover. I didn't buy anything until I had thoroughly studied the exploded parts diagrams between the SC and Soarer to compare everything I could and be mostly sure I was right. The SC300/400 TSRM section on this manual steering column came in handy too.

Upfront you need to know that basically none of these parts are available brand new any longer for either car. Some nuts, bolts, random clips and a couple of small pieces are that go into the mechanisms but none of the major hardware is available new any longer. You must find an intact column assembly to get them all as a whole system.

And yes, the USDM SC300/400 TSRM's section on the steering column does actually show a fully exploded diagram of how it all goes together and exactly what torque settings everything needs to have when it is reassembled and then installed/reinstalled into the car.

I will post as much as I can about it as I go to document the process. I recommend looking for a Soarer manual column with the Soarer's reversed switchgear included... or just buy that Soarer manual tilt/tele switchgear separately from another seller. What you actually want from this is a particular part and not the entire thing but you need the entire thing to get it. The reason is not because you will want the Soarer's reversed signal and wiper stalks but because you will want the internal bezel housing on the left hand side of overall switchgear assembly.

This is currently why I am not yet moving forward with this... yet. I have the Soarer version of the full switchgear assembly but I wanted to buy an extra SC300/400 switchgear assembly as well to cannibalize from without tearing into my car's original steering column just yet.

Allow me to explain further:

Everything about how the Soarer and SC300/400 turn signal system works mechanically is reversed so while the columns and column covers seem to basically swap between any of these cars you need to use the LHD or RHD switchgear parts that go to your type of car be it LHD or RHD.

Except that with any of these cars that have manual tele/tilt columns this internal plastic bezel (that when fully assembled is underneath the cosmetic plastic column cover) on the left hand side is different from the versions of it that are found on motorized/automatic tele/tilt columns.

This thing here:

Note that it has a bit of a raised lip that the control stalk's rubber fits into. The top cosmetic column cover fits over that like a glove. Go out to your SC and look at how the steering column cosmetic top cover fits perfectly around your automatic telescopic and tilt control joystick module on that side. Same thing, just a different version of it.

Therefore you have to do some home Toyota parts bin swapping to custom prep the manual steering column switchgear section with the appropriate LHD parts so as to make the column cover fit over it once you're done.

What is very handy for us is that the switch stalks mount in exactly the same way on the LHD and RHD cars so this makes it easy to swap over our own switchgear and turn signal hardware with all the same mounting points.

You also should also use an SC300/400 clock spring because the one for the Soarer has a different part number. That probably suggests that it operates a bit differently than the clock spring for U.S. and Canadian SC's.

Thinking about it just now... I haven't tried this yet but I suppose it might be possible to Dremel off the extra parts of the auto/motorized internal bezel to fit under the manual column top cover. Maybe. I'd have to examine it more closely. It is just a piece of plastic but it's kind of what provides internal stability and structure for the control stalk on that side of the column so it is probably a better idea to try re-using a factory part as I am. We'll see.

On the right side of the column that plastic part appears to be the same for auto and manual columns so that's no issue. Also, this part I'm talking about never had its own part number in the Toyota parts system. You probably only got it by purchasing an entire full stalk switchgear assembly for whichever type car you had.

Still, the manual tele/tilt column is the most important part. As I get through this project we'll see if everything needs to be done the way I am doing it. Probably if you want a perfect factory style installation but we'll see if the auto switch bezel could be trimmed to fit without making it floppy or useless. I really hate hacking up good parts that someone might possibly be able to use again so that's why I take this approach.

I will also be replacing the turn signal and lighting stalk with a 1995+ version which has the integrated fog light switch so when I re-pin those connections I am going to continuity test every electrical connection on the electrical connector part of this assembly to make sure everything works. I may just swap over the USDM wiring assembly entirely and just remove any of the wire associated with the auto/motorized sensors and controls.

I have also noticed on eBay listings that some of these stalk & switchgear units from both the SC300/400 and Z30 Soarer don't come with an airbag wire. I'm not sure why since I thought all of these cars started production from 1990 onward with a driver airbag standard. Maybe the wrecking yards remove them before sale sometimes for legal reasons? I have no idea but be on the lookout for that.

Some of you reading this may be thinking "But why doesn't he just take all the LHD SC300/400 stalk switchgear parts that he needs from his original auto-tilt-tele steering column?" Well... yes I technically could and its wiring is still my master reference for my 1993 model.

My personal reasons are my desire to test all of this fitment and wiring out on my workbench before ever starting the column swap on the car... and because I need to minimize any downtime with my SC since it gets driven often.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 09:27 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

This is the time where I wish I knew how to do 3D printing and modeling. I'm sure there are folks out there who could make a piece that would be perfect.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-05-21)
Old 09-07-21, 10:03 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Turbostar
This is the time where I wish I knew how to do 3D printing and modeling. I'm sure there are folks out there who could make a piece that would be perfect.
That would actually be perfect in this case. If I had a way to do a good laser scan of that little bezel I would be happy to post up the file for anyone to use. It could be printed in ABS plastic easily.

It’s still a minor part compared to the rest of what is needed to be found used but it could help someone when doing this conversion.

Come to think of it, another part to scan for 3D printing would be both halves of the column cover. But I think the strength of the OEM covers would still be stronger than any 3D printed version.
Old 09-07-21, 10:53 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Recently I had my driver’s side mirror go floppy due to worn out grooves that hold the big internal spring in place with a c-clip. I was able to source a brand new LH mirror in 202 Black Onyx (my SC’s color) but it was a base model spec so I had to dismantle my old mirror and the new one, de-pin both mirror connectors and swap my car’s mirror wiring harness into the new mirror assembly.

The end result was perfect!

If a new mirror assembly hadn’t been available I’d have just repaired my old assembly with the DIY to drill the spring column for a strong stainless steel pin or nail to hold the spring in place again.

Boy am I jealous_____ Beautiful!
Old 09-07-21, 11:17 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Barbary
Boy am I jealous_____ Beautiful!
I am glad you approve, Barbary! In fact doing the DIY repair to my old original driver’s side mirror will be a small project to do soon just to button it up and store it away as a spare.

Since there are at least three different mirror wiring harness connectors on 92-00 SC’s I think this is what we will all have to do eventually anyway (mirror harness swap to match your car’s mirror body harness connector).

Old 09-08-21, 06:35 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

I have to agree with Rudy on this conversion when you can eliminate something and make it mechanical and eliminate any future problems, why not. And I have always liked the detail that Craig interjects in his instructions on these projects. Craig we are right there with you even though I know it is something I will never do but I will know how, and that is why I have been reading car magazines (and books) since i was 13 in the eighth grade and for me that is a long time. Craig just continue going forward and spreading your knowledge.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (09-09-21)
Old 09-09-21, 11:41 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I have to agree with Rudy on this conversion when you can eliminate something and make it mechanical and eliminate any future problems, why not. And I have always liked the detail that Craig interjects in his instructions on these projects. Craig we are right there with you even though I know it is something I will never do but I will know how, and that is why I have been reading car magazines (and books) since i was 13 in the eighth grade and for me that is a long time. Craig just continue going forward and spreading your knowledge.
Bill, thank you very much! I agree that it's good to eliminate something more complicated in favor of a simpler and more robust solution. However if the manual steering column didn't exist for this car I wouldn't have pursued it though since this is a critical part that I definitely want to swap into the car exactly as it would have come from the factory. I have a collection of car magazines and books myself and spent years pouring over many of them in order to learn about my hobby just the same as you have. I can't remember when the bug got me but it was well before I was able to legally drive

Here's another mini update on this side project. The spare used SC300/400 signal and stalk assembly came in today. I haven't had time to go over any of it but here's a quick picture to compare the two.

USDM SC300/400 1995+ stalk assembly on the top and JDM Soarer Z30 stalk assembly on the bottom attached to the steering column.

Quick Reply: Kahn's USDM 2JZGTE swap thread (aka The "Not Easy" Way)