Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap year 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 12:35 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

vigman,

"Crawling" would be a good descriptor for mine at least. I think you'll have your son's sailing before long

I heard back from the importer tonight. It's not a case of Japan not carrying a USA model specific part. They can get anything for any Toyota model. But I'm sorry to say that they can't order that EGR VSV either-- it's completely discontinued and unavailable in the Toyota inventory worldwide.

So now I am very interested in what you use to substitute for it or also finding a used working VSV. You may also want to put a WTB ad on Supraforums listing the part number and picture you shows us. A lot of TT owners still remove their EGR setups and that might be your best bet.

As for the EGR temp sensor, I'm paying attention to your progress on that.

There should be (I think) four different VSVs on the USDM twin system. I assume it's the same for the JDM twins you have:

—90910-12127A (or 90910-12127B)
—90910-12114
—90910-12115( or -12915?)
—90910-12126B

Check your VSV numbers and see if these appear to be the same for you. One of the numbers in that list will be what you are missing. I have every one of those if you need a picture confirmation.

As for VSV diagrams, is this one any better?

The BAR ref you're familiar with-- I hope you get him again and that he treats you well. My conversations with refs had the best information with a man named Mario Salas. He's very familiar with Supras in general and understood the engine system well enough for me to get good answers. If for any reason you need an alternate, try to find him through the BAR.

When you mention the Vac Canister, do you mean the "vacuum pressure tank" that is bolted underneath the intake manifold?

If you have the USDM TB I am curious to know what the BAR says if you leave that connection unplugged. Barring that, wire in a dummy connector to your harness since it does not affect emissions or any tests.

Finally, please could you post what information you find on the legal cats you're allowed to use? I haven't found much available on the aftermarket other than perhaps legal universal weld-in cats that require a custom exhaust system to be made for the car.

I have a set of USDM TT cats for mine but they won't last forever and Toyota's asking prices for their remaining stock are, as always, quite high.
Old 03-03-15, 12:58 AM
vigman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kahn

Mine is a hybrid USDM intake , EGR, canister below intake, head, EGR cooler, throttle body, wiring harness, ECU
everything else is JDM… ( exhaust , turbos, short block )

The EGR VSV SUB was a 90910-12127 ( no a nor b ) and I do not know what he scooped it out of at Pick your part . It looks similar to the 90910-12115…..A previous post details it's operation.. aka what I believe to be correct.

I can't do a WTB add ( yet ) since I'm SOOOO NOOB.

The Cat's are listed as well ( go back 2 posts )
Pre cat Magna flow 337305 EO D193-102 $250
Main cat Magna flow 338135 EO D193-102 $250

The charcoal canister is for the gas tank pressure / vapor trapping system ( looking from the front of the car into the engine bay far left near firewall behind the ABS pump ) .

That is the same vac ref I'm using.

I got the Lexus temp sender wired in ( on the bench gauge set ) but I can't make noise ( peeps sleeping ) I will try to " cook it " tomorrow to get more detail

Last edited by vigman; 03-26-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 12:59 AM
vigman
Driver

Oh and the TRACTION control CLOSES that forward butterfly.. hooked up it remains open…

Our FPR VSV arrived today
it's funny I called the dealer about the EGR VSV and they do not list a sub or cross ref ..
The reply from the parts guy .. It's to old Toyota doesn't support it ..
Which I fired back so EVERY 95 and under TT that that solenoid breaks or fails is not smog legal?? REALLY??

the reply was YEP

DERP!

Last edited by vigman; 03-03-15 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 01:14 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by vigman
QUESTIONS and answers
AKA lack of help from CARB
I got the guy from LA to return my call today.
And it sounded like he was not having a great Monday...

The first point was …
Sir I really cannot advise you without the car in front of me.
Gee, he really didn't tell you much, did he?

Well, I can answer a few of those questions, based on research and some from talking to BAR techs in the past about this swap:

Q) Need the correct CARB # for the pre & main cats for replacement, could you confirm this ?
A) I do not have that information in front of me, but the correct cats for the " ENGINE " are what is correct and your muffler shop should be able to tell you.
They leave the burden on you and whichever aftermarket cat companies decide to actually offer something for your year, model and trim level (i.e.: Turbo)

From my own notes on TT compatible aftermarket cats:

OEM TT #1 — $1,000 & OEM TT #2 — $,1800

Catco 93-95 TT #93805 Universal Cali/CARB certified for front and rear — SPECIAL ORDER BY PHONE

Catco 93-95 TT #4150 Direct Fit — For cat #1 — $200 Retail — NOT CARB certified & may not have 2009 revision but ALL 93.5-95 TT’s were 50-State emissions.

Random Technology #1 catalytic convertors — No CARB EO numbers (as far as I know)
Part #*RT 923000
Part #*RT 141-30000

Q) 2) Confirming the 2nd O2 sensor goes in front of the main cat.
A) What ever it shows in the shop manual for the engine exhaust will be how we judge it.
Yes, on the USDM TT the 2nd 02 sensor goes in front of the main cat because the bung for it is located on the cast iron turbo exhaust housing just before where the USDM TT #1 OEM cat bolts into place. I'm looking at the USDM TT #1 OEM cat right now (in a box) and it has NO bung for an O2 sensor and looking at the USDM twin turbos right now I am looking at where that bung is located.

If the JDM twin turbos do not have an O2 sensor bung right near the exhaust flange you may need to weld one in place just before where your universal cat will be welded in. I am not sure how many inches of leeway the BAR will give you on this.

Can the engine even run correctly without the first two O2 sensors hooked up...?

Q) I have a K&N air cleaner, model #57-9004 which has a carb letter and this numberCARB E.O. # D-269-3, will this be OK?
A) If it is for a 95 supra turbo, yes.
Pretty much what he told you. Although I'd try to get a TRD or HKS drop in filter as a later alternative even if it means changing out for inspections.

Q) 4) Do we need the Supra twin turbo charcoal canister or will the lexus do?
A) Again sir without seeing the car, I cannot advise but I would assume you would need the Supra twin turbo one.
You DO need the Supra Twin Turbo charcoal canister. The SC300 version won't do, sorry. I have one I can get the factory part number for if you need it. Another thing to post a WTB ad for on Supraforums. They are sold there occasionally.

Oh and a CHEAP alt Carbon canister Supra TT
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4B1241 More Info **#7774014471, VC4164} $150
Wells does a TT EGR valve I think so a replacement charcoal cansiter would be nice... IF it's actually the same shape, size, quality, etc.

Not sure on that one but awesome for finding an alternative!

Q) We have an after market front mounted intercooler, will this be a problem?
A) We see so many of these just hacked in, and really poor plumbing so if it has proper piping & couplings ( clamps not duct tape )
and no weird after market sensors to disturb air flow, you SHOULD be fine.
That's... very surprising to hear! I am going to have to find out more on what he's just told you. And of course I want to hear what they tell you in person. I will probably still go ahead with either of the SMIC's I have now at first but that is really, really nice to hear from a BAR tech!!

Muffler shop
Canyon Muffler Eric the DUDE~661-251-5544
Pre cat Magna flow 337305 EO D193-102 $250
Main cat Magna flow 338015 EO D193-102 $250
So there ARE legal universal cats we can use? Great!
Old 03-03-15, 01:44 AM
KahnBB6

Kahn

Mine is a hybrid USDM intake , EGR, canister below intake, head, EGR cooler, throttle body, wiring harness, ECU
everything else is JDM… ( exhaust , turbos, short block )
You should be okay with that setup, still. It's the small EGR bits, VSVs, and small things that are the trouble tracking down. My setup will be about the same, but I'm using my stock 2JZ-GE block and the same top end setup as yours with a 2.0mm or 2.4mm Cometic head gasket to get back down to about 8.6:1 compression.

The EGR VSV SUB was a 90910-12127 ( no a nor b ) and I do not know what he scooped it out of at Pick your part . It looks similar to the 90910-12115…..A previous post details it's operation.. aka what I believe to be correct.
Hmm. Please let us know if you find it works for the emissions test?

I can't do a WTB add ( yet ) since I'm SOOOO NOOB.
Ah :/ Well, I plan to put an ad up there soon and I am aware you are in need of one of these VSVs too (and much faster than I need one).

The charcoal canister is for the gas tank pressure / vapor trapping system ( looking from the front of the car into the engine bay far left near firewall behind the ABS pump ) .

That is the same vac ref I'm using.
Okay, I think we're talking about the same thing then. The TT canister is unique. You definitely cannot use a Lexus SC canister. You need a used/new OEM canister or one of those Wells canisters... assuming they're selling your the correct design.

I got the Lexus temp sender wired in ( on the bench gauge set ) but I can't make noise ( peeps sleeping ) I will try to " cook it " tomorrow to get more detail

Oh and the TRACTION control CLOSES that forward butterfly.. hooked up it remains open…
Right, the TRAC computer closes the valve when it senses it needs to but in a disconnected state it's just left completely open by default, right?

Our FPR VSV arrived today
Uh oh... I think I may have missed this one as well. A VSV specifically for the stock TT fuel pressure regulator? What does it look like and where does it go? And I'm aware you have the JDM 440cc injector fuel rail whereas I have a USDM 550cc injector rail with a little FPR built onto it. Maybe this is an apples and oranges question on my part...

it's funny I called the dealer about the EGR VSV and they do not list a sub or cross ref ..
The reply from the parts guy .. It's to old Toyota doesn't support it ..
Which I fired back so EVERY 95 and under TT that that solenoid breaks or fails is not smog legal?? REALLY??

the reply was YEP

DERP!
I don't blame the dealer for this because so many of the parts department guys have been extremely helpful... but hearing that INFURIATES me at Toyota. It's an emission part. It's an engine they sold that's as popular as the Ford 5.0L and Chevy 5.7L V8's. Why isn't Denso still making such a crucial emission component??? It's for their most famous sports car. Absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, it's sold out worldwide, not just in the USA. According to my inquiry over the weekend.

I think there must be an alternative SF people use. There must be. Maybe it is that alternative VSV you found after all...
Old 03-03-15, 04:00 AM
KahnBB6

vigman,

I realize you are an electrical engineer and have a lot of knowledge on this subject but do check out this thread from a decade ago on SF regarding the internal workings of several of the 2JZGTE VSV's. It's very brief but it sounds like it is possible to damage them if they are used in the wrong locations.

I don't know if this would affect your replacement EGR VSV solution or not but for what value it may have:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...?275238-VSV-s&

Also, part numbers are included for each type of VSV.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-03-15 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 05:43 AM
vigman
Driver

Default WOW Lots O data here

O2's In mine there are 2 the #1 is in the exhaust manifold, not the down pipe ( since it's a JDM exhaust ) and #2 ( via the shop manual ) is just in front of the 2nd cat ~ 3 inches.
The car ran OK with NO O2's ( Round the block ) but it was a bit rich.
With the 1st one in NOW it's less rich and runs a bit better…. BUT we still have a check engine light , so I think we are in limp home mode.

Oh and I have THIS too !

The FPR VSV is still available new and it cost me $103.00..

I noted the" correct" EGR VSV is physically larger then my " sub"….
Attached Thumbnails 1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap  year 2-2jzgte-vac-under-hood.jpg  
Old 03-03-15, 06:07 AM
vigman
Driver

Default Supra 2JZGTE smog issues for CA …CONT

Bar guy was NOT helpful but I get can't fix it if it ain't here…

The BAR guys WILL look it up CARB #'s IF you are there on an " inspection".

Yeah OEM CAT'S not so much ( actually can't AFFORD those ) !

For OUR application no CARB # No pass.

I have dumped SO MUCH $$$ into this swap, having an ALT air filter sitting round.. when there is SO MUCH ELSE TO DO.. it's a nice to have not a GOTTA have.. we " plan" on remaining stock HP
since it will be in the daily driver platoon. Not a dyno queen.

The Supra charcoal canister ( for the fuel tank ) is SIMILAR sized , but the mounting is WAY different, nothing a little fab time won't fix….

We will see when we can FINALLY get an inspection appt on the FMIC… but our is JUST correct sized piping and new( er ) couplings, Reading in between the lines I think this guy gets FMIC's that use paper towel tubing, duct tape , and BUBBA Xtra hold bungie cords.

I would REALLY like to get the correct parts If possible AND can be found at a REASONABLE PRICE. I know these are now UNOBTAINUM.. but still 40 bucks would be REASONABLE..

The TRAC primary throttle butterfly has always been OPEN, but that being said we do not have a TRAC computer in our car.

Audio engineering was my primary discipline , but that being said it involved all manner of electronics & mechanical engineering.. I have been a clever monkey from time to time.Being a motor head has been with me since the EARLY 70's. NOW in my "Golden years of retirement" I get to apply some of that knowledge to this project. It has been a STEEP learning curve.
I REALLY HATE Lexus documentation for electronics.. it needs a fair amount of translation before you can boil it down to simple steps.. Nissan & GM have this knocked.. so in 5 minutes I can test ANYTHING… just to get the cluster mocked up on the bench too 20 minutes of … ok from this page, to the next page .. AHHH this is + 12 on THIS pin…

Thanks for the VSV link~~

Mike
Old 03-03-15, 06:14 AM
vigman
Driver

Hmmmmm looks like my HUNCH was correct on the REPLACEMENT EGR VSV is an ON -OFF steady state ( smaller frame ).
The LARGER one is for a " duty cycled " so it's " buzzing" all the time.. I have to check this but this points to a possible failure point in my sub. MIGHT last long enough to pass inspection though...

Oh BTW I THINK I have the 550 injectors
Old 03-04-15, 09:53 AM
vigman
Driver

Default Turbo madness

I need a bit of Information ( since this is my first 2J outing ) …

In base form… since this is a progressive turbo system.. Are there 2 waste gates?

We are missing one of the 2 VSV's down by the Wastegate.. we have the one that controls the lower hooked up..
But the " engine builder" stated there is a vac operated trap door on the top that " assists" with the sequential operation.

So right now I'm confused …. and will start reading but if anyone has a turbo 101 for Toyota link that would be WAY cool.

We have the JDM turbos on the car currently

Mike
Old 03-04-15, 02:12 PM
KahnBB6

Vigman,

There should be a recirculating "bypass valve" on the top of the sequential turbos that is easily visible to you looking down on the engine. The USDM and JDM engines both have these but the part numbers are different between the two versions.

As far as actual wastegates, each turbo will have its own wastegate. Have you checked the part numbers of the turbo VSVs you do have against the ones I gave you above? I believe USDM and JDM use that same VSVs for the turbos. One of those part numbers should be what you are missing.
Old 03-07-15, 09:49 PM
vigman
Driver

Quick update:
New cats & rear O2 are installed…
We brained out the wiring for the rear O2 ( picking up the existing 3rd 02 wiring under the center console for the lexus ) which fits PURRRFECT.. we lost the light ( and motivation ) to finish up that wiring plus we need to do the B/U lights as well.
Which leaves us with waiting for:
Adaptor for K&N ( CARB LEGAL) flange to 3" hose.
Rear O2 final wiring
BU light wiring
Metra ( POS ) bracket for car stereo
Re charge the AC
Suss out why heater doesn't work
Install new front tires ( they arrived yesterday )
Verify no codes
Verify timing
Install EGR VSV ( when it arrives )
Charcoal canister for gas tank vapor
( new gas cap )
Look at oil pressure false trigger for light.

Smog appt on the 23th @ 9:00AM@ Pierce college

Finish putting the interior back together then a MAJOR CLEAN & Detail
Old 03-07-15, 10:13 PM
vigman
Driver

Default Oh I forgot

It makes boost NOW……. not sure where it's limited to David didn't get his foot in it
Old 03-08-15, 03:43 AM
KahnBB6

This is just moving right along. Congratulations on getting it running smoothly!

I just realized the K&N filter you're using must be a cone type. For my swap I gathered the original GTE intake box parts (which fit 99% into the SC... I think). Your method sounds easier

That list is still a small handful. Here's hoping you're all set by the 23rd!
Old 03-08-15, 11:24 AM
vigman
Driver

2nd O2 sensor in... all engine codes clear ! BADA BING~
David making all the final wire tucking under the dash....

Yes it's a list ... but we only have a few of the O smog related things left to go......
Charcoal cansiter
K&N adaptor
EGR VSV
( all 20 min or less jobs )

Don't think he can fail us for no Stereo bracket or pass side seat

Quick Reply: 1992 SC-300 2JZGTE swap year 2