Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Jesse C IS250 UK Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 07:53 AM
Gville350

Received 436 Likes on 387 Posts

Sick!

Looking for periodic updates from you on this.
Old 05-23-20, 02:48 AM
illest2is
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea also want to see what's going on with this build.
Old 06-04-20, 06:40 AM
ypkx
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys!
Hope everyone is being safe during this pandemic. Because of the pandemic we had to move the dates back a little, today was finally the day we got the engine out and the subframe will be bolted back on to mock up the new engine.

We compression tested the M54 while it was still in my BMW compact, couple low on compression but not enough for me to worry - after all this engine will be a mock up and I have very high hope it'll last longer than I imagine (I'm pro BMW)

By the end of the week we can see how the new engine will fit - we figured the BMWs normal 'tilted' angle will become a spacial problem between the turret and head, let alone having to find space to mount the turbo.

Old 06-04-20, 06:43 AM
ypkx
Rookie

Ohhh. also, if anyone is after an automatic gearbox with only 49,000 miles don't be afraid to whatsapp me on +44 77 5 66 Zero 8 FIVE 4 Zero. Curently up for £600 ovno.

Old 06-04-20, 07:54 AM
Gville350

Great progress! Looking forward to more updates!
Old 06-06-20, 05:24 AM
ypkx
Rookie

Making quick progress with the fitment of the engine - Mounts have been made.
We decided to stand the BMW upright for more room, sump and oil pick up will be modified to avoid starvation.

Old 06-08-20, 08:35 AM
Gville350

Now this is how the IS350 SHOULD have come from the factory, inline 6 with a snail!

Tomorrow we will see if the 2021 IS will be released with what some have speculated is a inline 6 and turbo combo. We shall see!
Old 06-10-20, 07:45 AM
ypkx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Now this is how the IS350 SHOULD have come from the factory, inline 6 with a snail!

Tomorrow we will see if the 2021 IS will be released with what some have speculated is a inline 6 and turbo combo. We shall see!
You think? I would have liked the idea that they only done an IS350 and not bother with an IS250. The Toyota V6 are legendary though, if you think about it.
I'm going to very much assume they won't because I cannot see it being economical? Plus, the IS being an 'affordable executive' model makes me think they will continue with the 4cyl route.

The BMW 6 cyls are normally sat at a 30 degree angle, we've done the brave thing of sitting it upright and modifying the oil pick up but now the intake/inlet manifold is an issue as the OEM one won't fit - I've now had to purchase an alloy intake which we will shorten to fit.

Old 06-10-20, 09:13 AM
Gville350

Well, the 2021 reveal was delayed for another week or so. We shall see what they ended up doing then!

I didn't think about that angle; was that due to packaging it all under the hood OR some other reason? I know VERY little about Bimmer stuff.
Old 06-16-20, 08:56 AM
Gville350

The 2021 reveal had me sad about the powerplants, EXCEPT for the fact that they're finally offering a Torsen LSD as part of a handling pkg. I do like the new front end more than the previous too.
Old 06-16-20, 03:08 PM
ypkx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
The 2021 reveal had me sad about the powerplants, EXCEPT for the fact that they're finally offering a Torsen LSD as part of a handling pkg. I do like the new front end more than the previous too.
Yes, I never understood why they didn't but I guess for the kind of driving you do with an IS250 you wouldn't need something like an LSD.

ABSOLUTELY! I really think they brought their A game after the 2IS 😂

​​​​​​We stood the engine upright because it gives you much more room to fit a turbo on the driver side. Normally BMW owners will turbo it with a manifold that is extended forwarded, closer to the headlight.
but yeah we decided to sit it upright so the turbo has plenty of room. There's myths that the BMW engines are cantered for a reason, oil drain mostly but I think it won't suffer. And since the Europeans have been doing this for years... 🤷How can it go wrong?

A small update today.
BMW manifold came today, so we mocked it up and will need to modify it to fit. Since the BMW engines are normally slanted the modify is also built with a bend to accommodate the engine bay. We will need to shorten it and straighten it up to fit.

New short shifter also turned up, I'll be using a BMW fit plated short shifter with an extended selector underneath to reach the box. Measuring the depth of the tunnel to the centre console trim was a scare. It's almost 200mm deep.

Old 06-16-20, 03:09 PM
ypkx
Rookie

PS also bought a GT86 torsen diff yesterday, 60k miles, and was delivered to my friend's place in Basingstoke.
next is to go and collect it when I feel it's safe to do so during this pandemic.
Old 07-02-20, 01:07 PM
ypkx
Rookie

• Inlet manifold has been modified
  • the fuel rail needed to be mounted lower to fit the injectors
  • last of all throttle body adaptor mocked up.

• Gearbox mount has been made, since the BMW engine has been bolted upright the gearbox is now at an angle.

• Absolutely was not expecting this but the entire BMW prop fits and bolts straight up to the lexus diff. We had to find a longer BMW input shaft off a doner but, it fits.
  • Relay box needs to be relocated as well as the original Lexus ECU because of the placement of the throttlebody.
  • Something a little less engineering ish, a Born2drift BMW/Universal short shifted fitted.
  • A custom length selector had to be made to reach the box at an angle.

The following users liked this post:
IS350mumba (07-05-20)
Old 07-06-20, 12:42 PM
ypkx
Rookie

So for anyone interesting in manual swapping their IS250s, don't haha.
Auto brake pedal and the parking brake pedal out, ready for the clutch pedal and a manual brake pedal(smaller platform).

I'm now after a manual centre console piece with the cup holder, gearknob gator, handbrake assembly with the gator and a full handbrake cable to the rear shoes if anyone is breaking a car in the UK.

Old 06-24-22, 08:47 AM
ypkx
Rookie

Hi guys
Been a minute.

Latest update is quite simply - I got into a bad relationship which held back the build for 9 months. This month, after over a year since we last touched the car - We made progress.

To date - We now have boost control, turbo oil feed and drain, oil cooler and PMC oil cooler cap, twin fan setup.
I am now running ECUMASTER EMU BLACK with an EN Motorsport PNP adapter specific for the OEM BMW M54 loom - I spent some hours making the loom bearable to work with and 3d printed a case for the PNP unit because 'who develops a pnp unit with no protection?'.

We have now hit a hiccup - We cannot seem to calibrate DBW with the ECUMASTER EMU , tried speaking with both UK and NL branches with no luck as of this week! Any ECUMASTER veterans on this board?

Quick Reply: Jesse C IS250 UK Build