Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

SC300 Engine Rebuild then Turbo Time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 06:12 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default SC300 Engine Rebuild then Turbo Time.

Hey guys, I got this Sc300 with a bottom end knock above 2k rpms. Its a 1993 Manual. I'm tearing the engine apart and measuring everything before i can really decide the best course of action. i've got a perfectly good 95 sc with 140k 175 comp all around but its an Auto. Worse case i can use that engine.

My plans are for a daily driver that can keep up with just about any new car.
350-400Hp to the crank is plenty for me. I may already exceed these limits because i've got a 12 pound waste gate spring. 225hp stock + 12 pounds at 10hp/pound = 345. My auto was pulling hard with it on but never could get a consistent tune with my AEM FIC one day good next day bogging or lean.
I'm leaning towards the AEM EMS Series 2. I'm going to be patient and try to do this right the first time.

Picked her up in Denver, IS300 rims unexpected bonus =D

Forgot to take a before picture but here's a few hour in.

A/C and Power steering disconnected from engine still connected to car.

I think i'll have it out tomorrow. I'm pulling the engine and transmission together. I'm dealing with 2 stuck exhaust bolts, for some reason they are 14mm heads, my 95 has 17mm heads and they don't strip like these 14's want to. I couldn't get on a lift today but I will be able to tomorrow.

Last edited by scsexy; 01-26-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 11:29 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Default Got the engine out!

Found the spun bearing.. cylinder 6.

more work getting done Monday =)
Old 02-05-16, 05:04 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Default Engine apart

Pictures speak 1000 words.. so

my head was done in 08 and its within specs.

cylinder 6 had the spun bearing the cylinder is out of round by .0010 the tolerance is .0008.. the journal was scratched and slightly too small for specs as well

will be boring the block so oversized pistons are going to be required..

intake, sensors fuel rail.. I'm going to put 550's in it when i turbo but i want it running great stock first.

Just waiting on the machine shop to give me quotes.

Last edited by scsexy; 02-06-16 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-05-16, 08:06 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Got a nice winter project there, good luck with your build.
Old 06-02-18, 06:31 PM
scsexy
Advanced

I just realized i never updated this build thread lol. Cars running great i just did a manifold to turbo seal today. I ended up rebuilding that engine and putting it into an existing Sc300 1995 with an auto trans. I sold that car for 2,000 which was the price of the manual plus the cost to rebuild the engine.

Basically i've now got a 1993 5 speed sc300 with the motor out of a 95 auto sc300 that i took good care of and had about 150k miles. I turboed it running 17 psi and it's alot of fun
Old 06-04-18, 04:17 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by kitabel
Where did you get "12 pounds at 10hp/pound = 345"?
stock is 225 + 12 psi at 10hp/per pound is another 120

225+120 = 345?

I'm actually running 17 psi so its probably like 400 at the crank
Old 06-04-18, 07:13 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Thanks, I can do arithmetic.
I meant where did you get 10 hp per lb?
thats kinda a broad general estimate of how much each psi of boost gets you with engines roughly our size but the math behind it is

Assuming tuning is done correctly, you get a stoichiometric mix of O2 and fuel igniting in the combustion chamber. We can establish that we have a set ratio of oxygen and fuel and it should never change. So if we dump in twice as much gas then we MUST have twice as much oxygen for proper combustion.

On planet Earth, there is a constant air pressure, 14.7 psi at sea level (this is the base air pressure in the combustion for all non turbo vehicles). So without turbo on a car, people can honestly say they are running their cars slightly over 14psi (relative to the vacuum of space anyways).

We indirectly measure amount of gas particles with pressure, so if we turbo our cars to lets say 14.7 psi (on top of the 14.7 psi the Earth already gives us [totalling 29.4psi]) then we effectively have twice as much oxygen before ignition. Therefore the amt of fuel being pumped in is doubled, then at ignition we should theoretically get doubled the explosive power. So yeah, at 14 psi boost then you've nearly doubled the amount of oxygen in your turboed engine for double the power.

Of course you lose potential power the higher you go because you encounter more resistance in the change of inertia of the internal components.

So if your NA car makes about 150 hp
-Boosting it to 14.7 psi will theoretically give you 300hp
-Boosting it to 7.35 psi will theoretically give you 220hp and so on
[ (HP of NA car) x (1 + (boost psi/14.7)) = HP at boost psi ]

although its just generally said 10 hp per Psi is what you get in real life i need to dyno my car and i could give you how much exactly your getting per pound but it all depends on so many factors

I stole that from some subaru guys http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ost-equal.html
Old 06-05-18, 03:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

The amount of power (whether it is flywheel or to the wheels) an engine makes will be hard to equate with the amount of boost you run. There are so many factors that affect how much power you can make.

An example : I can run like 27 psi of boost and be making 740rwhp but If I change the downpipe/midpipe/exhaust from 3" to 4" to make the engine breath better or install a more effective inter-cooler to give it colder air , I can be at +800rwhp with the same 27 psi of boost and exactly the same engine.

It is just tough to say as per X amount of boost you get roughly X amount of HP on a boosted car !

BTW ... the numbers above are real numbers . So with the suggestion of every psi of boost you make 10hp , I should only be at 270hp plus whatever base hp your engine makes is already way far from the 740rwhp I made at 27psi .
Old 06-05-18, 06:49 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Almost nothing correct in your quote.
HP per lb. of boost is never linear, and never proportionate to (boost + ATM) / ATM (despite how many times it's repeated on the 'net).
So what you don't like my 10/hp per pound number?
Do you have a boosted car and could give what you might think to help people or are you just being negative?

I've driven 2 boosted cars regularly enough and driven stock cars with higher horse power to where i'm confident in my general statement that 1 psi more = 10 more hp. My boosted sc300, My best friends boosted wrx and my other good friends nissan 370z nismo with the naturally aspirated and stock power of the boosted cars around 350. The Nissan losses to both in the long run but its very close at 20 rolls 40 rolls 60 rolls
the Lexus on 17 psi that's 400 at the crank by my calculations and 50 hp loss in drive train.
Its also the Wrx on 24 psi pushing roughly 420 but losing more in the drive train being awd yet it launches the hardest.

Last edited by scsexy; 06-05-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-05-18, 07:30 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerrb
The amount of power (whether it is flywheel or to the wheels) an engine makes will be hard to equate with the amount of boost you run. There are so many factors that affect how much power you can make.

An example : I can run like 27 psi of boost and be making 740rwhp but If I change the downpipe/midpipe/exhaust from 3" to 4" to make the engine breath better or install a more effective inter-cooler to give it colder air , I can be at +800rwhp with the same 27 psi of boost and exactly the same engine.

It is just tough to say as per X amount of boost you get roughly X amount of HP on a boosted car !

BTW ... the numbers above are real numbers . So with the suggestion of every psi of boost you make 10hp , I should only be at 270hp plus whatever base hp your engine makes is already way far from the 740rwhp I made at 27psi .
Your absolutely right when your talking heavily modified cars. i'm just trying to state a general example that is consistent in the mildly modified cars i deal with. Your factoring in i'm sure e85 or some kind of not pump gas at 27 psi making 740 hp... compression ratio, air flow, fuel, iat, all are factors obviously

Your 740 isnt that far off from the ratios 225 = 0psi 450=14psi 675=28psi which i just discovered in that link i posted and its actually a much better ratio than 10hp=1psi

14psi = double stock because the best your air can breath is 14 psi barometric pressure at 0 boost. so if you double that at 14 psi your doubling the air going into the engine thus doubling the power assuming tuning and fuel stay the same

Last edited by scsexy; 06-05-18 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 04:32 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wow on the info scale. : I guess my 610 rwhp meaning about 720 at the crank @ 19 psi on 93 Oct kinda busts this myth ,huh. 10hp x 19 = 190 + 225= 415 hp. So I guess I got another 300shot of nos installed that I'm not aware of despite the fact I build my car and have helped build dozens of others here In the boosted capital of the world , south florida

Theirs so much more to the equation that has a profound effect on final numbers produced sir. So much more

Last edited by lexforlife; 06-06-18 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-06-18, 09:44 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I've got a set of ARP Main Studs for sale, if you want to go really strong on that bottom end
Old 06-07-18, 05:41 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Alright so everyone can agree my 10 hp = 1 psi of boost is not accurate across the board.... its probably more true for little 4 cylinder engines than our 6 but like i said

Why don't you guys come up with a ratio instead of just hating on me trying to help people have some what of an idea of what kinda power they will get, especially people with no experience?

14psi = double stock horsepower/torque because the best your air can breath is 14 psi barometric pressure at 0 boost. so if you double that at 14 psi your doubling the air going into the engine thus doubling the power assuming tuning and fuel stay the same that's the best ratio and explanation i can come up with.
Old 06-07-18, 05:45 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexforlife
Just wow on the info scale. : I guess my 610 rwhp meaning about 720 at the crank @ 19 psi on 93 Oct kinda busts this myth ,huh. 10hp x 19 = 190 + 225= 415 hp. So I guess I got another 300shot of nos installed that I'm not aware of despite the fact I build my car and have helped build dozens of others here In the boosted capital of the world , south florida

Theirs so much more to the equation that has a profound effect on final numbers produced sir. So much more
Oh yeah Is south florida boost capital of the world??? lmao i never remember seeing another other boosted Sc300's racing okeechobee when i was living there 4 years ago. Lots of Turbo hondas and stock cars daddys buy for their brats cowmaros moostangs genessis,Nissans... But maybe i just didn't run into many people because i wasn't on this forum back then
Old 06-08-18, 10:58 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
Oh yeah Is south florida boost capital of the world??? lmao i never remember seeing another other boosted Sc300's racing okeechobee when i was living there 4 years ago. Lots of Turbo hondas and stock cars daddys buy for their brats cowmaros moostangs genessis,Nissans... But maybe i just didn't run into many people because i wasn't on this forum back then
please refer back to the last 10 years of postings in the florida section to see how many meets and shows we have all been part of .. the turbo game here in south florida is huge and boosted sc , is , and gs are as plentiful as weed is now adays ,lol

bottomline here is theres no real distinct recipe that will produce numbers based on you approach . comes down to engine health , componets used and paired together ( right sized turbo , right sized hot side , right cam selection , intake and exhaust manifold and overall ecu and tuner competence)..

my car should have never been in 600 rwhp range on pump gas @ only 19psi without being like 10:0 cr and/or 3.2/4 stroker but the right combination of parts were used and tuned by one of the best in world , ALPHA .. my car has been boosted on oem stock ge orig block that came with my 97 since 2007 and at 600 rwhp since 2010 and i daily drive her ...

Quick Reply: SC300 Engine Rebuild then Turbo Time.