Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 12:45 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JasFarmer
It's kind of funny I just found this thread. If I had not designed all my shifters almost a year ago it would look like I copied you. The funny thing is you copied Brett's design. My shifter has a true reverse lockout so the piece you posted the photo of while it may look similar is definitely different from the one you copied from Brett. I had actually planned on showing the community how to build this shifter since it is a cheap option. Everyone just needs to be careful because that is made from cheap Chinese cast aluminum and could fail on you at some point.
Lol, I copied Brett's little linkage piece? It doesn't resemble his at all!

I don't think I ever said you (I assume you're CBF) copied my linkage piece did I? I posted up a picture because I thought it was funny how this little piece I make, ends up looking quite similar the one that apparently comes with your kit that you just recently posted up on FB (that I had never seen before). You've been designing shifters for these for awhile, no way would I claim you copied a little piece I just came up with a month ago.

Last edited by Halon; 08-04-16 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 01:28 PM
JasFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did imply by the "hmmmmm lol" and others responded as if that was the case. I'm not trying to start anything here just making sure everyone know that i do not copy anyone's work although I have had plenty copy mine. I really like what your doing here if you would have ask to buy just that piece from me I would have gladly of sold it to you at a affordable price unlike Brett. Continue the good work if anyone wants to buy a pre made billet shifter that's made in the USA. You can find me on FB or IG. By the way I'm selling them cheaper than Brett's right now.

Originally Posted by Halon
Good to hear man!
Lol, I copied Brett's little linkage piece? It doesn't resemble his at all!

I don't think I ever said you (I assume you're CBF) copied my linkage piece did I? I posted up a picture because I thought it was funny how this little piece I make, ends up looking quite similar the one that apparently comes with your kit that you just recently posted up on FB (that I had never seen before). You've been designing shifters for these for awhile, no way would I claim you copied a little piece I just came up with a month ago.
Old 08-04-16, 01:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Im pretty sure he borrowed it from my brass design of the original piece I modified as you can see earlier in the thread where he said that, but there aren't that many ways to do it so everyone's will look similar. I had not seen anyone's shifter when I made that but its not rocket science its basically like the stock cast nissan shift levers except the hole is a different angle. so how come you still aren't sharing it for over a year but you come in here and say people are copying stuff? maybe share it... instead of making assumptions
Old 08-04-16, 02:42 PM
JasFarmer
Driver School Candidate

I never said anyone in here was copying any of my designs. I was only replying so that everyone knows I'm not copying anyone else's design as was implied in the post. I edited my post above so that I'm not implying that anyone is copying anyone's design.

Good to hear man!
Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Im pretty sure he borrowed it from my brass design of the original piece I modified as you can see earlier in the thread where he said that, but there aren't that many ways to do it so everyone's will look similar. I had not seen anyone's shifter when I made that but its not rocket science its basically like the stock cast nissan shift levers except the hole is a different angle. so how come you still aren't sharing it for over a year but you come in here and say people are copying stuff? maybe share it... instead of making assumptions

Last edited by JasFarmer; 08-04-16 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 02:56 PM
Halon
Racer

You did imply by the "hmmmmm lol" and others responded as if that was the case. I'm not trying to start anything here just making sure everyone know that i do not copy anyone's work although I have had plenty copy mine. I really like what your doing here if you would have ask to buy just that piece from me I would have gladly of sold it to you at a affordable price unlike Brett. Continue the good work if anyone wants to buy a pre made billet shifter that's made in the USA. You can find me on FB or IG. By the way I'm selling them cheaper than Brett's right now.
The "hmmmm lol" was not me saying you copied me, it was me going "huh that's funny / interesting / cool how what I came up with here ends up being a lot like what you're making / have been making". I never once said you copied me, nor did I mean to imply that. I just found it to be a funny coincidence and I shared because I literally saw you post that picture shortly after I finished my design. I'm actually quite new to Solidworks and 3D modeling, so I actually found it kind of cool that I made something that ended up being similar to someone who I assume is probably much more experienced then me.

My reasoning to make this piece was simple. I came across this thread long after these other folks figured this whole thing out. And I was all for a $60 option because the shifter I made back when I put this setup in my SC300 in 2013 was pretty ridiculous (row boat style) and there were no solutions out at that time like there is now. And I have the trans out right now, so I figured why not try to make that better. However, I did not feel comfortable chopping the stock piece up because I wanted to be able to go back to my row boat setup should I need to. I'm friends with Brett on FB, so I hit him up asking if I could just buy his piece so I wouldn't have to chop up the stock piece. His price was a little more than I thought. I went and looked up the cost of a new OEM piece, that was also more than I was expecting. So at that point I just went and made my own. It cost about $20. For the design I 'copied' Ali's and LoveSC's chopped up OEM one. I posted it all up right in here getting folks input on it, their measurements, had a few ideas of my own, and I went through several revisions of it before my final version. And turns out the one I made, ends looks a lot like the one you designed for your system. I had no idea what your system looked like underneath what-so-ever until you posted up that picture, or else yeah I totally would have contacted you to get that piece. Actually other than that one piece you put up a picture of, I still have no idea what your setup looks like underneath or how you've gotten your setup to be a couple inches shorter than ours. Buying your linkage piece would have saved me a lot of time and hassle had I known about it. Funny thing, I actually did contact you on FB awhile back about buying your entire shifter setup, but just had a bit of sticker shock ($325 I think?) so I decided to keep on moving forward with the $60 option. You'll probably find our old conversation on your FB private messages (Brandon Halonen). And I bet the date of that conversation lines up similarly with one of my posts in here where I started saying "maybe it's easier if I just buy a premade shifter setup".

I'm not trying to start anything here either. But you're putting words in my mouth that I 'said or implied that you copied me', and you saying 'I copied Brett' yet my piece here looks absolutely nothing like his. I did not say that about you, nor did I mean to imply it (but apparently that's how you interpreted it), nor can I control what other people said after me. I just thought it was funny how similar our pieces were, and how I wasted a month making this stupid little thing and turns out yours is very similar, and I probably could have saved myself time and hassle had I known you had one, especially now knowing you would have sold it for cheap.

I think you have a good product considering you have true reverse lockout. It's just more than what I wanted to spend. Read previously and I even mention that you all making turn key solutions definitely has it's place in the market and are great. What we are doing here is just coming up with a much less expensive option for the DIY folks. I did not copy you or brett on this little piece. I'm quite sure Ali and LoveSC did not copy anyone when they started chopping 240sx shifters apart (Ali had been talking about this for a loong time, well before this particular thread). I think it's great all these people are working on solutions to the little remaining 'nuances' of this swap, and I think its "hmmmm lol" funny how all of these unique ideas coming from different people / groups / companies are actually quite similar as well.

I'll end this with saying I'm glad you are doing what you do, and keep doing good work. I apologize for anything I said that you took offense to. I'm a positive person who does not aim to make enemies, and strives to do good and make things better. I truly do not mean to send any negative vibes your way, or anyones way for that matter. I did this swap a long time ago when it hardly had any traction. As far as I know, I was the first one to do it in an SC300 back in 2013 (but I could be wrong). And I love that the swap has gained a lot of traction, and that there are people like Collins, Fenning, you, the folks in this thread, etc who are slowly tackling the remaining little nuances of this swap making it a more matured offering now. The setup I installed in 2013 was not nearly as refined as the kits being sold today, and that's again thanks to everyone who has spent time working on bettering this setup. Thanks again for doing what you do, I'm sorry for an ill feelings I caused you. Hope to see new and better things from you in the future!

Last edited by Halon; 08-04-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 04:16 PM
JasFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah I know how you feel, its like all these places read our threads here and mass produce what we come up with... It took me like a week of scratching my head while staring at that transmission... several sketches... before I came up with the idea for getting it to 32", now everyone has a version of it... haha
You are right Halon it wasn't you that made the statement about copying anyone's work it was the statement above. I came up with my three shifters and soon will be releasing more to help the swap community out and I can promise you that making and selling these shifters are not paying the bills. I continue to try and provide these shifters at as low of a cost as I can. Like the new price being lower than Brett's cut up Chinese shifter. I'm sorry about my reaction being aimed towards you which was not what you was trying to imply. But the reactions from others rubbed me the wrong direction.
Old 08-04-16, 05:15 PM
Halon
Racer

Fair enoough, and thanks for saying that. This is not a job for me. so anything I ever do or make, it's in what little free time I have, for fun and trying to give back to the community.

And as far as Ali, he's given more to this community (for free) than anyone else I can think of. He freely gives out his information/knowledge/ideas to anyone and never asks for a dime. He's innovative, never hesitates to spread his knowledge and help others achieve their goals. He's the epitome of what a real enthusiast should be.

Thanks again for ur innovation, and again I'm excited to see what new and better designs come out. My biggest complain so far is the incredibly short throws these shifters have. I'd love to see some new design that has a more normal throw to it.
Old 08-04-16, 06:09 PM
JasFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Fair enoough, and thanks for saying that. This is not a job for me. so anything I ever do or make, it's in what little free time I have, for fun and trying to give back to the community.

And as far as Ali, he's given more to this community (for free) than anyone else I can think of. He freely gives out his information/knowledge/ideas to anyone and never asks for a dime. He's innovative, never hesitates to spread his knowledge and help others achieve their goals. He's the epitome of what a real enthusiast should be.

Thanks again for ur innovation, and again I'm excited to see what new and better designs come out. My biggest complain so far is the incredibly short throws these shifters have. I'd love to see some new design that has a more normal throw to it.
It's funny you should say that about the throw I have just addressed that in my latest design and have made the throw adjustable I also felt the really short throw was a issue but wanted it to still be available since some people actually like a really short throw.
Old 08-05-16, 09:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

You are right Halon it wasn't you that made the statement about copying anyone's work it was the statement above. I came up with my three shifters and soon will be releasing more to help the swap community out and I can promise you that making and selling these shifters are not paying the bills. I continue to try and provide these shifters at as low of a cost as I can. Like the new price being lower than Brett's cut up Chinese shifter. I'm sorry about my reaction being aimed towards you which was not what you was trying to imply. But the reactions from others rubbed me the wrong direction.
Maybe you get rubbed the wrong direction too easily? you are not the only person that can copy a factory nissan shift lever in aluminum with the hole at a different angle... at the end of the day you still copied someone unless you invented the nissan "striker arm" that has been in use for decades.

Where did I say copy in that post? I said people read here and make "a version of it" and mass produce "what we came up with", which you are... you are making a version of it in mass production of something I and several others had come up with it.
how would I know if you did it first or not in your basement or whatever, your word? lol I don't even know you.
I never said you copied me lol... but your shifter did come out long after I released the pics online.
I don't know when you started and really you have no idea when I or others started, just when I posted it.
did you come up with the design first? well that is a possibility but I don't know or care to be honest.

I think anyone could come up with that design... and maybe you didn't read it here, but there are a lot of people making the shifters now who could have, at the time I released how I did it there was no other pictures of how anyone was making that arm, or I would have probably borrowed their idea then to make my piece instead of staring at the trans for days trying different stuff.

Even if you did read it here and run with the idea I am not bothered at all, If I cared that people ran with what I posted online to make it better... I wouldn't have posted it online.
To be honest and as Halon said it was just a confirmation that it was a good piece, no one was upset that people are using it, that was the intention from the start to share and make it better, as you can tell my prototype looks like crap, it was just a design concept.
Please continue to make it better, reverse lockout.. great, better shifts... great, keep up the good work alot of people will appreciate it.
Really all you have told us is that you could have helped the community out for over a year but you didn't so you could mass produce it, but you wanted to tell everyone? thanks for that I guess.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-05-16 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-10-16, 06:10 PM
SERIALN9NE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.imgrum.net/media/11683408...5721_205935124

Just an option.
Old 08-11-16, 03:21 AM
driftdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And only double the price of any other options haha
Originally Posted by SERIALN9NE
Old 08-11-16, 06:36 AM
Halon
Racer

I've never seen a price for those, what do they cost?

It looks like a nice piece. Kind of looks like a 350z shifter with the triangular 3 bolt base.
Old 08-11-16, 07:51 AM
driftdan
Driver School Candidate

Serial9 - $450

Gktech- $183

CBF - $185
Old 08-11-16, 08:28 AM
Halon
Racer

OK so our DIY version here, we end up with the shifter 31.75" back from the edge of the bellhousing. That's still far enough back that you need to cut the tunnel and probably have to use that interior auto trim (because probably won't fit in stock manual trim). But not a big deal because it costs like $60 for this DIY shifter.

Then you have Fenning's, he charges $225 now I think. He has the swan neck. So you may still have to trim your tunnel a little, but the nice thing is your stock interior trim works as is. For the most part, he's had the most affordable option available, and it lets you run the stock interior trim.

The CBF which was in the upper $300's (now for $185), how far back does the one being offered for $185 place the shifter? I thought I saw the one he was offering that low price group by for put the shifter at like 32"? So that would have the same issue as ours, where you'll have to run different interior bezel, am I right?

The GKTech one looks nice as well. But looks like the same issue again. The shifter sits far enough back that the stock interior trim I'm guessing won't work.

So while those are nice, I think it's kind of a bummer that your paying a higher price for these "nice professional shifters", yet they still don't work with the stock trim. While Fennings does. The DIY option has the same issue as well, but to me it's an easier pill to swallow because it's DIY in nature, costs hardly anything.

The SerialNine looks like the shift position is adjustable, so I'm guessing it probably can be made to work with the stock trim. But yeah that's a very steep price!
Old 08-11-16, 10:27 AM
driftdan
Driver School Candidate

So I bit the bullet and purchased the CBF, I had originally built the DIY but my welder is flaking finishing my shaft/cup weld and the Z mount to the S13 plate. I love DIY but with the bad luck I have been having with this car I didnt want to test my luck anymore than I need. Also my car is a 2G GS so my measurements might be a little different from yours.

OK so our DIY version here, we end up with the shifter 31.75" back from the edge of the bellhousing. That's still far enough back that you need to cut the tunnel and probably have to use that interior auto trim (because probably won't fit in stock manual trim). But not a big deal because it costs like $60 for this DIY shifter.

Then you have Fenning's, he charges $225 now I think. He has the swan neck. So you may still have to trim your tunnel a little, but the nice thing is your stock interior trim works as is. For the most part, he's had the most affordable option available, and it lets you run the stock interior trim.

The CBF which was in the upper $300's (now for $185), how far back does the one being offered for $185 place the shifter? I thought I saw the one he was offering that low price group by for put the shifter at like 32"? So that would have the same issue as ours, where you'll have to run different interior bezel, am I right?

The GKTech one looks nice as well. But looks like the same issue again. The shifter sits far enough back that the stock interior trim I'm guessing won't work.

So while those are nice, I think it's kind of a bummer that your paying a higher price for these "nice professional shifters", yet they still don't work with the stock trim. While Fennings does. The DIY option has the same issue as well, but to me it's an easier pill to swallow because it's DIY in nature, costs hardly anything.

The SerialNine looks like the shift position is adjustable, so I'm guessing it probably can be made to work with the stock trim. But yeah that's a very steep price!

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400