Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 11:01 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

What is the measurement from the front edge of the bellhousing, to the center of the shifter, in Neutral?
Old 08-22-16, 10:45 AM
Halon
Racer

For anyone interested. Attached is the Solidworks model of the shifter linkage (Revision C). It was created in Solidworks 2016. If you don't have Solidworks, I also attached the STEP file. You can download a number of various free STEP file viewers online to view it.

You can use it to have your own made. Any CNC shop should be able to view the STEP file. Some may even be able to import it into the machine if their CNC machine is automated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
SC3_CD9_SL_RevC.zip (115.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-23-16, 05:34 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that file!
Old 09-08-16, 05:46 PM
DoomSlayer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there's no way to do this swap unless you pull the motor and beat the hell out of the firewall?
Old 09-08-16, 07:08 PM
Halon
Racer

If you do the a340 bellhousing swap, it should fit without any beating.
Old 09-08-16, 07:45 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Halon
Speaking of a340 did u get ur trans back in the car yet?
Old 09-08-16, 08:09 PM
Halon
Racer

Funny you should ask. I did not get it in the car yet, but just today I got it back under the car on the tranny jack, just located under there in the tunnel area. So I'm hoping next week to find a couple hours to jack it up and bolt it in place.
Old 09-08-16, 10:53 PM
DoomSlayer
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the tip
Old 09-09-16, 05:24 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DoomSlayer
So there's no way to do this swap unless you pull the motor and beat the hell out of the firewall?
Some have reported not needing to pull the motor. But I had to. There was no way to get it to fit otherwise. At that time, I decided to just beat it in really good so that I wouldn't have to pull the motor later in the event that I had to service the trans. Even if you do the A340 bellhousing swap kit, you may still need to spread the tunnel a bit as shown in my pic with a jack or some other spreading method because the casing itself is also much beefier than the stock transmissions.
Old 09-15-16, 11:27 AM
Halon
Racer

Just an FYI, I got my A340 setup in last night. I didn't have to do any tunnely bashing, but to be fair I already had bashed it in so that doesn't really count. As I was installing it, because you have to raise the trans back enough so the input shaft clears the pressure plate, it did get really tight near the trans mount area of the trans. Our tunnel gets tight there, and with the trans back a little, it's tight. I ended up tilting the motor a bit since everything was already so loose. So potentially a tiny amount of clearancing needed back hear that area, but hardly anything. I again just tilted the motor a little and didn't have to clearance anything. Plus I like the motor tilted so I can just use a mile long extension to get those top to trans bolts in.

With the motor in the car, this install was 100x easier with this arrangement compared to the block adapter plate. I can tell it does sit a little more forward now than it did on the old setup too. I know that because my homemade trans mount I had from before, the holes no longer lined up. Didn't matter because I had a new Collins mount I used instead, but just something worth noting I thought. I'm hoping it doesn't affect my driveshaft fitment.

I will have to do some trimming of the tunnel for this new shifter arrangement, so I do not have that mounted yet.
Old 09-16-16, 04:53 AM
DoomSlayer
Driver School Candidate

doesnt seem like a simple swap for me to do myself or with one other person in my garage.
Old 09-16-16, 05:37 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Just an FYI, I got my A340 setup in last night. I didn't have to do any tunnely bashing, but to be fair I already had bashed it in so that doesn't really count. As I was installing it, because you have to raise the trans back enough so the input shaft clears the pressure plate, it did get really tight near the trans mount area of the trans. Our tunnel gets tight there, and with the trans back a little, it's tight. I ended up tilting the motor a bit since everything was already so loose. So potentially a tiny amount of clearancing needed back hear that area, but hardly anything. I again just tilted the motor a little and didn't have to clearance anything. Plus I like the motor tilted so I can just use a mile long extension to get those top to trans bolts in.

With the motor in the car, this install was 100x easier with this arrangement compared to the block adapter plate. I can tell it does sit a little more forward now than it did on the old setup too. I know that because my homemade trans mount I had from before, the holes no longer lined up. Didn't matter because I had a new Collins mount I used instead, but just something worth noting I thought. I'm hoping it doesn't affect my driveshaft fitment.

I will have to do some trimming of the tunnel for this new shifter arrangement, so I do not have that mounted yet.
Awesome, thanks for that update!

Originally Posted by DoomSlayer
doesnt seem like a simple swap for me to do myself or with one other person in my garage.
It is actually not too bad. I did it myself in my garage. Only thing I needed another person for was to get the hood off and on. If you do the A340 kit, which sounds like you will definitely not need to pull the motor for, then you will not even need to take the hood off. It's really not too bad.
Old 09-16-16, 05:52 AM
DoomSlayer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Awesome, thanks for that update!

It is actually not too bad. I did it myself in my garage. Only thing I needed another person for was to get the hood off and on. If you do the A340 kit, which sounds like you will definitely not need to pull the motor for, then you will not even need to take the hood off. It's really not too bad.
Okay thanks I guess i wont lose faith then.
Old 09-16-16, 07:06 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Only thing I needed another person for was to get the hood off and on. If you do the A340 kit, which sounds like you will definitely not need to pull the motor for, then you will not even need to take the hood off. It's really not too bad.
You can install and uninstall an SC300 / SC400 motor / transmission without taking out the hood . Done it a lot of times. Remove the hood struts so you can push the hood higher so you can take out and put in the motor / transmission.
Old 09-16-16, 09:04 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

what are you doing to tilt the motor back, just loosen the mounts up and use a lift?

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400