Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1991 Toyota Soarer build 1jz-gte R154 RHD

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 04:17 PM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Toyota Soarer build 1jz-gte R154 RHD

i picked up this 1991 Toyota Soarer locally off of an auction. I got the car with some front end damage, and the previous owner removed the turbo and gauge, nothing major. I got the car about a year ago, just decided to start a thread since ive been a member here for a few years, never really contributed, but decided to share since its a somewhat unique car. im terrible at taking pictures of what im doing, but ill try and improve on that, and hopefully keep the thread as updated as possible, since i only work on it in my spare time. Well anyways heres a few pics of how i got the car

So after i got the car i decided to pick a Borg Warner S360, because of the price and my power goals.

Heres the turbo next to my T25 from my old 240sx

Threw the turbo on the car just to see if it'll run

The car fired up with no problems, sounded healthy, no knocking, ticking, or smoke. decided to weld a 90 elbow since i didnt want rubber coupler rubbing on the frame rail

After getting the motor running i pulled it out to start prepping the body and respraying the engine bay, and refreshing the engine. So i ordered my first batch of parts from Driftmotion: BC 264 cams, BC cam gears, new stock headgasket, ARP head studs, waterpump, oil pump, and all the seals and gaskets.

Started tearing apart the engine and send off the head to a local machine shop. Ended up getting new valve seals, valve job, and set the clearance with the new cams

Got the head back from the machine shop, bolted it back on, and installed the new cams and checked the clearance again, and all the intake side shims were to small, so i ended up ordering new shims from Toyota rather than pulling the head back off.

painted the block, installed the new cam gears, and painted the valve covers.

Ordered a clear timing cover, since my original one was cracked. and painted the rest of the timing covers gloss black

Ordered new 1000cc injectors with a top feed fuel rail, installed the injectors with intake manifold and wiring harness

Ended up sending the exhaust manifold, exhaust housing, and spacer to get ceramic coated.

Pretty much how the engine is sitting at the moment

Also picked a mk3 R154 locally for a decent price, i would have preferred the soarer r154 but couldnt find one near me within my budget.

Picked up a new 1jz bellhousing, and a new southbend stage 3 clutch

Still need to order a few things to get the engine back in the car, but this is about as far as ive gotten. need to find wheels, and bumpers to start the bodywork, but im hoping to have the car this summer.

Last edited by vadik231; 02-19-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-20-16, 02:17 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow that was a nice find and local to you a double plus. You are off to a good start keep us posted on your progress and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-16, 05:09 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surprised a Soarer went through auction here in the states!!
Old 02-20-16, 05:56 PM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCFactory
Surprised a Soarer went through auction here in the states!!
They had it listed as a Toyota Other since they didn't know what it was. I actually just found it by luck
Old 02-21-16, 03:51 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota other lol
Old 02-21-16, 05:12 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vadik231
They had it listed as a Toyota Other since they didn't know what it was. I actually just found it by luck
I would be ecstatic!! that is some nice luck, what did you use to clean the block surface for the head gasket I have my 1JZ torn down right now and Im not gunna rebuild the bottom end just needed to take the head to machine shop like you did... I've used a razor and brake cleaner but still need to scrub it down a bit also how do I know when its ready for the gasket any input thanks !!!
Old 02-21-16, 10:20 PM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

I ended up using a razor to careful scrape away all the old material, and than went over with red scotchpad, make sure to cover the cylinder with a rag or paper towels, along with the oil ports. I've also heard of people using 1500 grit sandpaper with some motor oil.
Old 02-22-16, 07:49 PM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice find and awesome build thread. What are you power goals? Also what are the specs on the BW
Old 02-25-16, 08:36 AM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
nice find and awesome build thread. What are you power goals? Also what are the specs on the BW
Thanks! Im hoping to get somewhere around the 500whp mark, but to be honest ill be happy with anything at this point. The borg warner is a s360 60/68, hoping it'll be enough to get to my power goals without too much lag.
Old 02-25-16, 10:22 AM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice. thats where im at on my build. trying to find a suitable turbo for my hp goal. im only looking for around 400 and i want something to spool pretty quick. Thinking about goign with the BW sx200-56.. now just need to figure out which a/r to go with.
Old 02-25-16, 03:16 PM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
nice. thats where im at on my build. trying to find a suitable turbo for my hp goal. im only looking for around 400 and i want something to spool pretty quick. Thinking about goign with the BW sx200-56.. now just need to figure out which a/r to go with.
Yea, i kinda wanted the best of both worlds, decent power and quick spool, thats why i settled with BW, and the price too. lol. it originally had the .91 ar twin scroll housing, but i had found a .83 ar twin scroll housing too kind of help with the spool, so we'll see how that goes. Yea, picking what ar to go with can be tricky, since you don't want to go too small and choke the turbo, and not reach your goals.
Old 02-25-16, 06:26 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vadik231
I ended up using a razor to careful scrape away all the old material, and than went over with red scotchpad, make sure to cover the cylinder with a rag or paper towels, along with the oil ports. I've also heard of people using 1500 grit sandpaper with some motor oil.
Ok, cool.... Do you have any pictures of the block after you cleaned the surface?
Old 02-25-16, 07:59 PM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCFactory
Ok, cool.... Do you have any pictures of the block after you cleaned the surface?
No, unfortunately i do not, i'm really terrible at documenting my builds. lol
Old 02-27-16, 10:50 AM
FunCarGo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build! subscribed.

funny, we have very similar builds going on: I also have a 91 Soarer which gets an respray, S360, R154, and all that. once I have a little content I will also open a thread.
Old 02-28-16, 09:03 PM
vadik231
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FunCarGo
nice build! subscribed.

funny, we have very similar builds going on: I also have a 91 Soarer which gets an respray, S360, R154, and all that. once I have a little content I will also open a thread.
That's awesome, couldnt find any other Soarer's in the states.

Quick Reply: 1991 Toyota Soarer build 1jz-gte R154 RHD