Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 08:26 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
At least for now, if someone is close enough to notice that, they're too close in the first place lol.
Yeah, no one would ever notice this except for me.

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Were these the wheels which you tried ceramic coating on? Or was that just on the inner barrel portion?
These wheels have been ceramic coated since 2016. I usually remove them from the car and do the entire wheel. White worm usually starts from something damaging the clear. It's the most common around lug nut holes since sockets on an impact gun tend to damage the finish.

The hre are almost as old as the car, so the finish is still in great shape for how old they are. I forgot exactly when they were manufactured, but probably early 2000's.
Old 05-01-20, 09:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I've done a lot of test fits with flush/aggressive wheel fitments in the past, and I've slowly been switching over to big boy tire sizes.

I've spent a couple months researching what exactly is "Supra Spec" and if it transfers directly over to the SC. After looking through a lot of old forum post and FB groups for wheel posts, I found that Supra spec is a range and not a specific offset (since ccw can customize).

The range is as follows:
Fronts: 18x10 +51 to +38
Rears: 18x11.5 +57 to +45

I thought the range was because of a "time/era in modding" type of deal since flush fitments are more popular now. After talking to a couple of my Supra buddies I found out the difference was stock or modified fenders. People who don't want to mod their fenders at all order offsets in the 50's. The guys with modded fenders either order the lower offsets or they order the higher ones and run wider tires.

I contacted a CCW vendor and he said the usual Supra Spec he sells is 18x10+38, 18x11.5+48.

With this information, I went to the SC FB groups and asked people to post their CCW setups with a picture and the following information (Width, offset, and tire size). Most of them didn't have the setup I was looking for, but it was still helpful.

Fast forward to yesterday, I found someone bored enough to help me out with test fits. 18x10+41 18x11.5+52 with a 315/30/18 rear

Fronts: 18x10 285/35/18

Rears: 18x11.5 315/30/18

Something I didn't know about CCW is that the centercap is the hub ring.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-01-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-02-20, 06:45 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

That looks like a fun PSA.

Interesting that the terminology discrepancy is due to fenders. I would have guessed the same as you.

How does the center cap serve as the hub ring? Is the hub ring a full sleeve that the cap clips onto? Otherwise, how's the wheel get on there...
Old 05-02-20, 08:14 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My friend was telling me the centercap is 1 large piece of metal and the inside (hub side) is machined to the spec of hub bore, so it is installed just like a hub ring, then the wheel slides over it. I haven't seen it in person yet to take detailed pictures.

The SC in the photo isn't mine, it's my friend's wife's car. You can barely see his supra behind it in the first photo.
Old 05-02-20, 08:53 AM
SickSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

looks dope, but something about it looks off. not sure if its just the picture or the actual wheel or even the tires lol.

I remember seeing it on the black supra, and it looks 10x better imo. actually almost wet myself
Old 05-02-20, 09:11 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SickSC3
looks dope, but something about it looks off. not sure if its just the picture or the actual wheel or even the tires lol.

I remember seeing it on the black supra, and it looks 10x better imo. actually almost wet myself
I think it's the overexposed photos. I always make fun of his old Iphone and tell him to buy a new one, so he can get better photos.

If you're referring to the black supra that's been at JCCS the last 2 years, these are his cars/wheels.
Old 05-02-20, 12:21 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My friend was telling me the centercap is 1 large piece of metal and the inside (hub side) is machined to the spec of hub bore, so it is installed just like a hub ring, then the wheel slides over it. I haven't seen it in person yet to take detailed pictures.
Weird. I would have thought the center cap gets installed on the wheel and then slipped onto the hub as one. The way you described it, the center cap is just an excessively big, heavy, and complicated hub ring, with an inherent gap that traditional center caps eliminate. I can't come up with any good explanation as to what advantage that would have.
Old 05-09-20, 12:46 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Ordered some acoustic foam to install on the rear deck lid around my sub to support the rear deck cover. I got some extra to see how well it would work in my tool box as liners.

I had my friend do another rear deck for me which is in better condition.

I decided to go with a 2 tone rear deck since the black speaker covers I had were too faded.

My new steering wheel came in yesterday.

I'm still working on the door panels and window trim repairs whenever I have a chance to. The dash will go in last since I'm still waiting on the CF trim pieces to arrive.
Old 05-09-20, 06:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

The new steering wheel looks great! Where did you find it?
Old 05-09-20, 02:11 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
The new steering wheel looks great! Where did you find it?
I found the wheel and airbag on ebay. They're from different cars, so the airbag is a bit more faded than the wheel. It's an 01-03 RX300 steering wheel.
Old 05-10-20, 07:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

The new steering wheel set up is glorious - great find!
Old 05-10-20, 09:09 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I found the wheel and airbag on ebay. They're from different cars, so the airbag is a bit more faded than the wheel. It's an 01-03 RX300 steering wheel.
I don’t think I’ve seen an RX wheel that color before, but it looks really good. I’ve been wanting another wheel but they cost so much online.
Old 05-10-20, 09:36 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

The battery died on one of my cars, so I stopped by my friends shop to pick up a new one. It was the perfect opportunity to drive the SC.

I was checking out my friend's S63 since I've never seen it during the day. I've had the opportunity to drive some really fast cars before, but this is one of the most confusing cars I've ever experienced. Given how large and luxurious it is, the car is more sporty than I was expecting. It's hard not to smile when you're behind the wheel.

Old 05-10-20, 09:44 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RudysSC
The new steering wheel set up is glorious - great find!
My original plan was to wrap the stock wheel in black leather since I'm getting rid of all the wood trim in the car and replace it with forged carbon parts, but the wheel was going to be about 400-1k depending on if I had them flatten the bottom and add CF. That's way more than I'm looking to spend at the moment. A lot of my friends recommended the RX or SC430 wheel for the time being.

Originally Posted by Kira X
I don’t think I’ve seen an RX wheel that color before, but it looks really good. I’ve been wanting another wheel but they cost so much online.
I got lucky, the steering wheel was 110 + tax and the airbag was $70 + tax, so right at the $200 mark. I was expecting the wheel to be beat up once it arrived since it was the cheapest one available, but it's an 8/10 condition.
Old 05-10-20, 07:53 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question about that flush fitment post, so if i get customs wheels with this spec" 18x10+41 18x11.5+52" it would be fully flush with no fender roll or pull?

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build