Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 04:42 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Maserati
I have a question about that flush fitment post, so if i get customs wheels with this spec" 18x10+41 18x11.5+52" it would be fully flush with no fender roll or pull?
No, a flush wheel fit almost always has shaved fenders since that's the only way to get it close enough.

The fenders in the photos are shaved/rolled anyways. That post was about fitting big tires on the car for boosted vehicles.
Old 05-11-20, 05:28 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the RX wheel will match your new interior combo pretty well. I was going to recommend going that route to you a while back, but you did replace the wheel with another OEM unit so I figured you liked the original style.

Did you pick up the airbag harness adapter, or were you planning on just hardwiring it in? I believe only the 99-00 didn't need an adapter to be plug and play (assuming airbag is also from that RX).
Old 05-11-20, 05:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
My original plan was to wrap the stock wheel in black leather since I'm getting rid of all the wood trim in the car and replace it with forged carbon parts, but the wheel was going to be about 400-1k depending on if I had them flatten the bottom and add CF. That's way more than I'm looking to spend at the moment. A lot of my friends recommended the RX or SC430 wheel for the time being.

I got lucky, the steering wheel was 110 + tax and the airbag was $70 + tax, so right at the $200 mark. I was expecting the wheel to be beat up once it arrived since it was the cheapest one available, but it's an 8/10 condition.
That’s a really good price. I had trouble getting one in that color for a decent price.
Old 05-11-20, 05:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I think the RX wheel will match your new interior combo pretty well. I was going to recommend going that route to you a while back, but you did replace the wheel with another OEM unit so I figured you liked the original style.

Did you pick up the airbag harness adapter, or were you planning on just hardwiring it in? I believe only the 99-00 didn't need an adapter to be plug and play (assuming airbag is also from that RX).
That’s a really good question. That adapter worked for my 05 IS300 steering wheel but not on my 03 ES300 wheel.
Old 05-11-20, 07:11 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag

I actually do prefer the oem 99-00 wheel over the RX wheel because the RX wheel's wood doesn't match the factory wood trim in our cars. I'm replacing the wood trims with forged carbon pieces made by Corn Carbon, so the steering wheel is still going to look out of place. I can live with it for now since I'm trying to wrap things up in the SC.

Here are a couple pics I took from his post:

As for the airbag harness, I already have one. I needed it to plug the 99 airbag into my 98.

Originally Posted by Kira X
That’s a really good price. I had trouble getting one in that color for a decent price.
I was bored one morning and browsing ebay and found them. Most of the wheels were 150+ and most of the airbags were 110+, so I got really lucky
Old 05-12-20, 06:21 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah ok, i wanted to be flush like that too. So i thought those were the right spec to go with for custom wheels to fill out the front and rear with no gaps.
Old 05-15-20, 01:53 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Window trim and door panel repairs are done. The panels are getting installed as I finish repairs. Everything connected to the dashboard is still tan/brown. Hopefully everything will be here in a month and the car will be done by July.

I lost the black bolt covers for the seat belt/carpet, so they'll have to stay tan until I can locate a pair.

First picture, I'm holding a light to illuminate everything and 2nd picture was only the lighting in my garage.

If anyone has mint condition black rear seat belt buckle trims, front seat belt trim (at the carpet), or the A pillar handles they're looking to get rid of, please let me know.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-15-20 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 07:07 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Your interior is coming along very nicely! Great job!
Old 05-22-20, 12:21 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

First off, i love this build and all the updates with lots of pics. It's a great read. Are you going for show car status or just a well built car to drive when its nice?

Second off, the CCW's would be overkill unless you're putting down upwards of 700hp. The 285's up front are totally unnecessary and will tramline like crazy in the SC. Although it's nice to know you can fit a 305 in back if need be, but that'll take a lot of the fun out of the driving experience unless you have massive power.

Old 05-22-20, 01:24 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luxor
Your interior is coming along very nicely! Great job!
Thanks Ren!, hopefully JCCS happens this year, so you can come see it in person.

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
First off, i love this build and all the updates with lots of pics. It's a great read. Are you going for show car status or just a well built car to drive when its nice?

Second off, the CCW's would be overkill unless you're putting down upwards of 700hp. The 285's up front are totally unnecessary and will tramline like crazy in the SC. Although it's nice to know you can fit a 305 in back if need be, but that'll take a lot of the fun out of the driving experience unless you have massive power.
Thank you, this car has always been a well built car for me to drive when it's nice.

The whole thing with CCW is because I want to know what fitment is needed for big boy tires. I learned the limits of the quarter panels with stretched tires back when I was on air suspension, but I've messed up a few times trying to stuff big tires under the quarter panels (Advan TC4 + 295 R888 setup). Like most of the wheels I've bought in the past, the CCW will be temporary (I know my car is too slow for them).

That being said, my friend picked up my tires today (I'm currently about 6-7 hours away from the shop that got them for me).

The following users liked this post:
myLEXsc400 (06-08-20)
Old 05-22-20, 03:00 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

That interior work looks amazing!!
Old 05-24-20, 11:29 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That interior work looks amazing!!
Thank you, I've been working on collecting the parts for all this since 2018 and it has taken up so much space. Now that it's finally gone, I'll have space to wrench on cars in the garage again.

Old 05-24-20, 11:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Met up with some friends on Friday to figure out what tools and equipment I'll be needing for a Lexus coupes photoshoot.

The funny thing about this photo is that right behind us (out of frame), there is CHP and LA County Sheriff's standing there too.

98 SC300

99 SC300 - The graveyard for all my old parts

97 SC300 - I do appreciate the fact he basically gave me a blank check book to choose his wheel/tire/suspension setup.

GS

TitanG545 (07-19-20)
Old 06-02-20, 12:55 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

A 97 blk/blk popped up at the Junkyard last week. I got the notification in the morning before work, so I packed all my tools and drove all the way out there after work. Whoever got there before me trashed almost everything to get the black carpet. I found SC parts scatted all around.

Got lucky and noticed these SC floor mats in the trunk of another car near by. They were dirty, but looked cleanable.

This was after pressure washing them and soaking them in an APC solution. They're not as sun faded as the ones I have, and they only cost me $20

Also picked up some spare seat belt buckles

Old 06-16-20, 12:25 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Had to clean up the car because the spiders were starting to take over.

My friends and I went to cars and coffee 2 weekends ago, and I was playing with these magnets I had made while waiting for everyone else to show up. The logo is this huge inside joke for my friends. "NGO Tuning" (pronounced No tuning) is what my friend always called his fake shop/diy work, so I had a graphic designer turn his face into a cartoon to troll him. All our friends got a kick out of it, so I eventually manufactured the logo on to clothing, stickers, magnets, and a few other things for ****s and giggles. Now we get to represent at car meets.

We went to grab lunch after. My friend with the LC thought we were going to "Coffee and Rigs", so he didn't bring the right car. lol

Some bonus pictures from last weekends photoshoot after the Coffee and Rigs event.

Main reason for the photoshoot was to shoot our friend's Austin Mini Truck between the two GMC trucks.

Hopefully I'll have pictures of a parts unboxing next week if the shipment doesn't get delayed again.
TitanG545 (07-19-20)

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build