Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 07:11 PM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Had to clean up the car because the spiders were starting to take over.

Hopefully I'll have pictures of a parts unboxing next week if the shipment doesn't get delayed again.
Man I get homesick looking at this picture looks just like the street I grew up on in San Diego. We had the slight hill just like this.
Old 07-20-20, 08:27 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanG545
Man I get homesick looking at this picture looks just like the street I grew up on in San Diego. We had the slight hill just like this.
That's in Walnut, so about 1.5-2hr north of SD. It's hardly a slight hill, I have to get ready to enter the neighborhood as soon as I turn in, and hope there is no one backing out of their driveway. lol

Starting to prep my brakes to go to the powder coater.

Step 1 was pulling them off the car.

Out with the old, in with the new

Also pulling out the HKS Hipermax GT IV, and installing my old chrome plated HKS Hipermax II

Test fit my 19" HRE

My setup for removing the pistons in the calipers

I'm going to strip the paint and sand the caliper faces smooth before sending them off to the powder coater. The additional sanding is to have a smoother finish since the shop usually only sand blast to prep the products.

Some additional parts photos, since I rarely see anyone buy these superpro endlinks

The following 3 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
KahnBB6 (07-21-20), LSXus (07-21-20), TitanG545 (07-23-20)
Old 07-21-20, 02:40 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

I was not aware of the SuperPro endlinks. Does Figs Engineering sell those?
Old 07-21-20, 08:29 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I was not aware of the SuperPro endlinks. Does Figs Engineering sell those?
Figs sells the fronts, but he has his own variation for the rear that he came up with. I believe his rear endlinks are the shortest ones on the market (It's been years since I looked into it). The super pro ones are only a tiny bit shorter than stock in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
LSXus (07-22-20)
Old 07-21-20, 06:56 PM
LSXus
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been reading numerous posts for a while now and thought I mine as well become a member. Leaning tons of things.
Old 07-21-20, 10:43 PM
babycrab
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

what made you decide on returning to the earlier model hks coilovers?
Old 07-22-20, 04:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSXus
I have been reading numerous posts for a while now and thought I mine as well become a member. Leaning tons of things.
Welcome to the club.

Originally Posted by babycrab
what made you decide on returning to the earlier model hks coilovers?
I've owned the Hipermax II, III, and IV GT. I would say the IV GT is a huge drop in quality (and the price reflects that). The IV uses rubber bushings in the top hat and feels like a softer coilover (even though it uses similarly spec'd springs). I'm not saying it's a bad coilover, but I've had the previous models and the newest one didn't meet my expectations, so I went back to the older one.

This had more to do with the fact, I already owned the Hipermax II and spent more to rebuild them than the IV GT cost new.

Old 07-22-20, 05:15 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Brake line repair:

I had a brake line snap over the weekend while installing the orange brakes

Ordered some new tools. I would recommend a better tube bender that has a smaller radius can can bend in close quarters (I was being cheap since this was my first time attempting this).

3/16" metal tube, M10x1.0 Tube nuts, and a M10x1.0 coupler

I ordered this Titan 3/16" flaring tool because it was small and compact, making it easier to work with on the car. It's about 25% more expensive than a traditional flaring tool that does multiple sizes, but those are usually meant to be used while locked into a bench vise.

Perfect flare in less than 2 minutes

Even with the line on the car, flaring it was quick and easy

The hook/hoop section is a little large because of the size of the bending tool I used. I would recommend buying a better quality tool, so you can do a smaller radius.

Threw the wheels back on

The brake line repair functions fine, but I'll be replacing it with a new OEM line when the subframe has to come down.
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (07-23-20)
Old 07-22-20, 09:30 PM
babycrab
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I've owned the Hipermax II, III, and IV GT. I would say the IV GT is a huge drop in quality (and the price reflects that). The IV uses rubber bushings in the top hat and feels like a softer coilover (even though it uses similarly spec'd springs). I'm not saying it's a bad coilover, but I've had the previous models and the newest one didn't meet my expectations, so I went back to the older one.

This had more to do with the fact, I already owned the Hipermax II and spent more to rebuild them than the IV GT cost new.
gotcha. any other noticeable differences besides softer ride? Ive been looking at the hipermax IV particularly for a soft ride lol
Old 07-22-20, 11:45 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by babycrab
gotcha. any other noticeable differences besides softer ride? Ive been looking at the hipermax IV particularly for a soft ride lol
The IV isn't designed to be serviced. The older models can be rebuilt, but the IV they don't offer parts for it.

I'm being more critical about it than most people would be. The IV GT is almost half the price of the previous model. The price drop reflects the changes made to it. It's not necessarily a bad thing since most people rarely ever service their coilovers anyways. It's more of a shift in the market to remain competitive.
Old 07-23-20, 02:58 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

So glad I am subscribed to this thread, I was just thinking in my head this morning driving into work. I need to upgrade my brakes to something bigger, but to what. Stoptech is certainly on the list, never been a fan of Brembo. I just feel like they get mentioned a lot because other people mentioned them, not because of quality. I could be wrong.
Old 07-23-20, 10:30 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TitanG545
So glad I am subscribed to this thread, I was just thinking in my head this morning driving into work. I need to upgrade my brakes to something bigger, but to what. Stoptech is certainly on the list, never been a fan of Brembo. I just feel like they get mentioned a lot because other people mentioned them, not because of quality. I could be wrong.
If money wasn't an issue, I would choose brembo bbk over stoptech any day of the week. Brembo is trusted by oem manufactures and used in plenty of motorsports.
Old 07-26-20, 01:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Mr. OG Status sent me this short video and pics of my headlights complete.

DRL

Turn Signal
]

Projector Retrofit with chrome so shiny, you can see his head
Old 07-26-20, 05:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Those headlights look awesome!
Old 07-28-20, 05:32 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position