Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 09:04 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

My friend extended an invite to us to participate in a 1200 mile roadtrip/rally. We didn't get many details, but we knew the final destination was a car meet in Vegas. Most of us decided not to go because of covid and the effect that leaving the state would have on our jobs, but one of my friends/team members decided to do it in a SC300. The trip started at Pirelli here in LA, up to Laguna Seca, a little bit more up north, then Reno, NV, and finally ended at a car meet in Las Vegas.

Here is a picture of the SC on laguna seca

Originally Posted by RudysSC
More Supra updates please
Sure, here are a few:

All new Series 2 lights

HRE mounted for pictures

This is what I get for thinking out loud...

V band showed up yesterday, so mocked up the exhaust

Car is back on the ground, going to finish up the headlight wiring some time this week

Once the registration sticker shows up, I'll be dropping the car off for an alignment. We're going to be using the advan/R888 combo for the alignment.

Old 07-29-20, 10:02 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Stunning car! I love the SC/MK4 combo. I look forward to seeing more of both!
Old 07-29-20, 11:24 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

When did you get a Supra? I always thought you only had the SC.
Old 07-29-20, 06:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Stunning car! I love the SC/MK4 combo. I look forward to seeing more of both!
It's funny having the supra at my house. I bring some wild cars home from time to time and most of my neighbors don't say anything, but the supra makes people stop when they see my garage open. The day I brought the car home, I tried to get it into the garage before any of my neighbors saw it, but as soon as the tow truck pulled up, one of my neighbors drove by and stopped to look at it.

Originally Posted by Kira X
When did you get a Supra? I always thought you only had the SC.
I started the project January of 2019. I'll have it until the end of this year, then it's going to its new home overseas with a really good friend of mine.

There is a lot of history behind how I ended up with the car, but it's too long to type up.

Old 07-30-20, 12:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That’s really cool that you have a MKIV Supra. I thought I saw it in the background of your pictures but figured it was a friend’s car.

What will you replace it with? I don’t know if I could get rid of a black Supra. It looks awesome with your white SC.
Old 07-30-20, 06:38 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Very cool - I'd love to know more but I know how these things go with cars and friends.
Old 07-30-20, 08:23 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
That’s really cool that you have a MKIV Supra. I thought I saw it in the background of your pictures but figured it was a friend’s car.

What will you replace it with? I don’t know if I could get rid of a black Supra. It looks awesome with your white SC.
The one you saw probably was one of my friends. I only started posting about the car recently because I've been working on it and most of this stuff crosses over with the SC.

This supra is rough around the edges for sure. It isn't something I would normally take on if it wasn't for my friend.

Very cool - I'd love to know more but I know how these things go with cars and friends.
The car is a 93 TT auto with 83k miles, but salvage titled. It was purchased at an insurance auction and rebuilt. It was hit in the rear and smacked a curb, so the quarter panels and suspension had to be replaced. Upon inspection, the damage was all cosmetic and the frame had no visual damage. There wasn't much competition at the auction because no one knew if the motor worked or if it was blown, so it was a huge gamble. The car requires a special sequence to start it for security reasons. It's pretty clever for whoever made it, but horrible if you're trying to diagnose it.

Something to note, I've never driven the car more than 100 ft. It's been a huge headache because it's an old car, you touch 1 thing and something else breaks. Add in the fact it's a supra, everything is hard to find and cost a premium. I tried to drive it a couple days ago, but the 4.5" exhaust is too low and got stuck backing out of my garage. lol

My goal is alignment next week, and then take it out for a spin and figure out what else needs to be dialed in.
Old 07-31-20, 05:31 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

You have quite the project on your hands it sounds like haha. Sometimes those cars, despite how difficult they can be (on your heart and wallet) are awfully hard to let go of. I love that it's going to a friend of yours and that you've made the effort to bring it back to life and to share it with someone else. Very cool man!
Old 07-31-20, 07:27 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Whoa. I feel like this story deserves the line from F&F after they pull the crumpled Supra up to the shop, "if you can't find whatever tool you need in here, you don't belong in a garage." Or something to that effect.
Old 07-31-20, 08:21 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

You have quite the project on your hands it sounds like haha. Sometimes those cars, despite how difficult they can be (on your heart and wallet) are awfully hard to let go of. I love that it's going to a friend of yours and that you've made the effort to bring it back to life and to share it with someone else. Very cool man!
My friend that it's going to is the one that found the car. I'm just helping him make his dreams come true. This isn't a project I would normally take on. It's not really my style, but I'm lucky enough to have the resources to help make it happen. There have been a lot of frustrating moments, but overall it's been a pretty good bonding experience with the bros. As much as we're all talking **** on the car right now. We all want to see it completed.

The, "**** is getting real" moment was when I was sent a picture of a supra half cut getting strapped to a pallet to be shipped to CA from TN.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Whoa. I feel like this story deserves the line from F&F after they pull the crumpled Supra up to the shop, "if you can't find whatever tool you need in here, you don't belong in a garage." Or something to that effect.
A lot of my friends have made that reference and asked if we could shoot the scene with all the cars and the truck full of parts.

The amount of money I've spent on tools in the last year has been insane. This car killed one of my snap on hammers. I was so sad. Snap on replaced it with no questions, but the new one looks too nice I don't want to use it. lol
Old 08-03-20, 12:30 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I made a deal with my friend to buy his used 315/30/18, so he could upgrade to 335/30/18 last week.

Picked up my lights from OG status Saturday morning.

All the additional wiring that he added on to the lights

Water proof plug added for the DRL switchback wiring

Custom seal for the HID bulbs and wiring for my Bixenon projectors

From left to right: HID relay harness (to power directly from battery), HID ballast (in box), harness to activate my Bi-xenon projectors, and harness to turn on my DRL lights

Everything about these lights are above and beyond my expectations.
Old 08-06-20, 10:33 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

The supra went on its maiden voyage to the alignment shop last week.

Alignment was all kinds of messed up.

They stayed until 8 something at night to finish the car for me.

Took some comparison photos of my OG lights vs new from lexus

While my lights were being built, I asked what else I should get for maximum output. OG said if I wanted to wire it up, I could get some switchbacks for the signals in addition to my Horus Lighting HID kit.

I pulled some factory plugs at the junkyard the last time I went, and depinned them to make these jumper cables for the switchbacks. Also got to play with my new milwaukee soldering iron.

Wired them in, and OG made fun of my basic wire taps. He said he would give me better ones the next time I saw him. I told him just send me a link and I'll order them.

The new wire taps arrived today. They're a little bit fancier...

Redid the jumper wire

DRL:

DRL + Switchback + marker lights

DRL + Switchback + marker lights + Horus Lighting HID kit/morimoto retrofit

Old 08-06-20, 10:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I learned something cool yesterday. My car and Nick's were in a japanese car magazine from their coverage at JCCS last year.

The following users liked this post:
t2d2 (08-07-20)
Old 08-14-20, 12:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

The reupholstered 99-00 rear seats arrived. These will be going in my friend's SC (that he recently crashed.)

Since my friend crashed, we had a tech day to go over his car and inspect everything. There wasn't much damage besides the bumper skin and lower jzz30 tray. Luckily, a KBD AC bumper was donated to us recently because it fit so horribly. We threw it on the car temporarily

I sent a message to Ren of JZZ30 telling him we'd be needing to order another one. He told us not to worry about it, and he'd send us a replacement free of charge. This surprised me so much that I decided to order one for my car too.

While my friend's SC was on jack stands I threw some CCW D110 on to see how it would look.

Both of the Z30 plates arrived today.

I started removing the paint on my calipers on Tuesday. I forgot how nasty aircraft stripper is. Luckily, I still had an old mask with P95 filters in my tool box.

I grinded the faces smooth, so the powder coating will look nicer. I'm trying to drop them off at the powder coaters some time next week. The new color will be chrome base with Ackbar teal on top

For those of you that remember all the issues I had with the factory supra TT seats sliding under acceleration and braking: I finally located RHD "Passenger" seat brackets that are manual. I had them imported from Australia, and will be swapping the cushions over.

I moved the SC back into the garage. The wild fires are starting here in So cal, so I don't want it to get covered in ash.

This is the "DRL" mode of the OG lights

First click on the OG lights

The switchbacks are ridiculously bright when signaling
The following users liked this post:
jdmek998 (08-14-20)
Old 08-14-20, 01:20 PM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow. Those lights are awesome! Work look to be top notch! Nice ride!

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build