Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 10:17 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I was going to look into doing that as well, via paint or vinyl if I still own the car by then.

In the San Gabriel area (in the middle of all the smoke). I occasionally see SCs, but very rarely. They are a dying breed where I live.
Old 09-16-20, 03:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
In the San Gabriel area (in the middle of all the smoke). I occasionally see SCs, but very rarely. They are a dying breed where I live.
Most of the SC I post in this thread (other than my own) are in the SGV. They're rarely driven on the street. For a lot of the owners its their 3rd, 6th, or 15th car.
Old 10-02-20, 12:52 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My friend borrowing my 18" HRE

The red interior installed in the supra

Installed a trd wing to give it the classic supra look. Change of plans and saying goodbye to the supra this weekend. Kind of sad I didn't get to fully enjoy it, but it's going to a good home.

Dialed in this fortune auto cup kit install for my friend. I originally put this in about a month ago, but the valve unit it came with was defective. Fortune auto sent us a replacement right away, but we haven't had a chance to install it until now.

Normal height

Full lift

Back to the SC:

Brakes came back from the powder coater, they'll be ceramic coated this weekend and assembled some time next week.

Uncovered the SC and took it for a drive tonight. I also wanted to try out my camera at night. It feels like a completely different car driving on 19's.

Old 10-02-20, 02:29 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

Your SC and Supra look awesome as usual. That bagged Supra is really cool too.

Are those the same brakes that are currently on your car? They look incredible!
Old 10-02-20, 08:13 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
Your SC and Supra look awesome as usual. That bagged Supra is really cool too.

Are those the same brakes that are currently on your car? They look incredible!
The supra on air cups is insane. The motors still being broken in, but final goal is 1800whp. Currently it's about 1200whp.

I've always had 1 spare set of TT calipers that I rotate through the cars I build to send out to get powdercoated. The new teal set came off the supra and will be going on my SC. The lime green set thats currently on the car will be getting redone in a new color for one of my friends. Color is currently undecided, but I'm leaning towards purple or a raspberry/pink.
Old 10-02-20, 09:04 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The supra on air cups is insane. The motors still being broken in, but final goal is 1800whp. Currently it's about 1200whp.

I've always had 1 spare set of TT calipers that I rotate through the cars I build to send out to get powdercoated. The new teal set came off the supra and will be going on my SC. The lime green set thats currently on the car will be getting redone in a new color for one of my friends. Color is currently undecided, but I'm leaning towards purple or a raspberry/pink.
That’s incredible to see a Supra with that much power and be on bags. 1,800 whp is huge! I don’t think I have seen a car with that much power up close.

Oh! That explains how you had a second set. Did you have to use a caliper rebuild kit after powder coating the calipers? I’m planning on going with pink but I wasn’t sure if powder coating would damage any seals on the calipers.

The lime green and the teal calipers both look incredible! I’m not sure which one I like better.
Old 10-02-20, 09:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

That’s incredible to see a Supra with that much power and be on bags. 1,800 whp is huge! I don’t think I have seen a car with that much power up close.
It's an air cup/piston. The piston sits on top of the spring, so it allows the car to lift when needed vs a traditional bag setup replaces the spring with a bag.

Airbag vs coilover

Oh! That explains how you had a second set. Did you have to use a caliper rebuild kit after powder coating the calipers? I’m planning on going with pink but I wasn’t sure if powder coating would damage any seals on the calipers.

The lime green and the teal calipers both look incredible! I’m not sure which one I like better.
My powder coated requires me to split the calipers and break the halves, remove all the seals. I'm using an OEM toyota rebuild kit for the teal setup It's more expensive than an aftermarket kit, but IMO it's better. The seals fit more precise and it's easier to work with. The downside to the OEM seal kit is that it doesn't include the seal between the two halves of the caliper since Toyota doesn't want people splitting it.

The Centric caliper rebuild kit does include this seal, so I end up buying both. I use the O rings from Centric and OEM Toyota for everything else. The centric kit works, but I always have issues with the dust boot popping off later on down the line.
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (10-04-20)
Old 10-03-20, 07:20 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Cup kits are pretty awesome and convenient. First day I had it, I made the mistake of only lifting the front going into my steep driveway, only to scrape the rear bumper (because it drops down. Didn't think about it at the time). First day and last time that ever happened.
And always nice seeing the updates to your cars and the ones you work on.
Old 10-04-20, 12:48 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I ceramic coated the calipers last night. I was supposed to wait 24 hours before assembling it, but I got impatient. Usually after 12 hours coatings are mostly cured, but the longer you wait the better it is.

Oem TT Front and Rear seal kit

Contents of the OEM front seal kit (2 calipers): 8 piston seals, 8 dust boots, 8 dust boot retaining rings,2 bleeder caps, new crush washers for the brake line, and a small packet of OEM red rubber grease.

Centric Seal kit for supra TT requires 3 kits (2 front, 1 rear)

Contents of 1 Centric front seal kit (1 caliper): 4 Piston seals, 4 dust boots, 4 dust boot rings, 2 internal caliper seals

1 caliper rebuilt

All 4 calipers assembled and torqued

My friend stopped by to return my HRE and pick up his ZE40's

While my friend was taking off the wheels, as a joke I asked him if he wanted to try my 305/35/18 R888R setup on his car to see if it'll fit. He said sure. It was surprising that it fit on his s2k.

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Cup kits are pretty awesome and convenient. First day I had it, I made the mistake of only lifting the front going into my steep driveway, only to scrape the rear bumper (because it drops down. Didn't think about it at the time). First day and last time that ever happened.
And always nice seeing the updates to your cars and the ones you work on.
That was a big factor in why we decided to get cups all around instead of only the fronts.
Old 10-07-20, 06:32 AM
MaK2kSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read through your thread as inspiration for my SC300. What a build...

I'm pretty familiar with rebuilding the 79-85, 86-95 & 95.5-04 AISIN Manual hubs but i've never personally tried rebuilding any type of brake caliper. Do you typically do this because of their Supra calipers? I'm wondering if it's worth going to the junkyard for some LS400 calipers and rebuilding them. I'm sure there's plenty out there, but it'd be pretty cool to put your own twist on a caliper rebuild write up that includes the finishing process, if you haven't done it already.

Thanks,
Old 10-07-20, 06:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MaK2kSC300
Just read through your thread as inspiration for my SC300. What a build...

I'm pretty familiar with rebuilding the 79-85, 86-95 & 95.5-04 AISIN Manual hubs but i've never personally tried rebuilding any type of brake caliper. Do you typically do this because of their Supra calipers? I'm wondering if it's worth going to the junkyard for some LS400 calipers and rebuilding them. I'm sure there's plenty out there, but it'd be pretty cool to put your own twist on a caliper rebuild write up that includes the finishing process, if you haven't done it already.

Thanks,
I do this because when I refinish the calipers it requires disassembly and its safer to put in all new seals. LS400 calipers are a worth while upgrade from stock, but between the two I always say supra TT is the way to go for pad selection. The LS400 pad selection is daily driven sedan or full on race pads. There aren't many options in the middle. My personal preference for the LS400 is EBC red pads.

I have multiple post about the TT caliper rebuild process in this thread, but all the links to the photos haven't been fixed.

Brake system overhaul: (Pics are dead)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10060222

Splitting the calipers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10114244

Painting process:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10141796

Old 10-07-20, 06:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Went to cars and coffee classics on Sunday and ran into a few other SC owners/friends

I was headed over to newport beach to pick up some donuts for my family on my way home and a few others decided to come along

Old 11-01-20, 09:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I got these in a couple weeks ago. If anyone is looking for quality lug nut socket with protective sleeves, then these have been awesome. The brand is Koken and they're made in Japan.

Went with my friend to go pick up parts + some last minute detailing supplies.

Was leaving my friend's restaurant late one night, and the lighting was nice for a photo.

I got invited to a cars and coffee a few weeks ago, and since I was all the way out there, I called my friend to go have breakfast. He had gone to buttonwillow the day before and got home too late to unload the SC from the trailer, so he towed the whole thing there.

Last photo with the brushed HRE and the TE37SL

Unpacked my car last to take it to cars and coffee.

Both cars are back on their original wheel setups. Instead of running hre on both cars, I decided to pull the tires off the brushed hre and mount them on the G games.

Old 11-22-20, 11:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Installed a front JZZ30.com vented splash shield

Also, got a carbing order in recently

I've wanted this bar for years, but it was always too expensive.

The master cylinder brace. I had to leave the black spacers for the shock tower in place to clear the throttle body on the GE, so the master cylinder brace doesn't line up properly, but it'll do its job.

Carbing cooling plate (not for my SC)

Went to cruise around and shoot some photos last week.

It'll be getting its colored TT brakes and probably some OG status lights some time in the next month or two.

Still waiting on parts for this car everything should be here by end of January.

I need to swap the brakes + swap the CCW on soon.

Old 11-23-20, 12:13 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I'm going to throw this info in this thread just in case anyone is looking for a starting point for wheel fitment with big tires.

When I ordered my last set of CCW, all I asked for was "supra spec" and the shop recommended 18x10 +38 18x11.5 +48. After mounting my tires, I found that the rear tires (305/35/18 R888R) were closer to the fenders than I would have liked.

Recently I started talking to another shop about potentially ordering a different wheel for my SC. We were going back and forth with the specs of my car and my requirements for tire sizes. My requirements were that I wanted to be able to fit a 265 front width and 295 rear width. The reason for 295 rear is because the 305 selection is basically only race tires.

He sent it over to CCW for their recommendations and they came back with 18x10+41 18x11+57 to fit on a stock body car with unmodified fenders.

Once I told them my car had modded fenders, they came back with 18x10+41 F 18x11.5 +50 which surprised me. a 11.5 +50 is 13mm closer to the fender compared to a 11+57. Since I'm running the same size tire still, I thought they would have recommended a 11+44 rear.

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build