Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My indecisive 98 SC300 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 06:50 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Who did you deal with at CCW? I’m dealing with a guy named Curtis who is like zero help. I want some advice on offsets/backspacing. I read that SC’s are 8.25” backspacing rear and 6.5” backspacing front. Your offsets aren’t quite in line with that, but maybe I’m missing something.

I wouldn’t mind doing 18x10/11 with 255/275 for cost/fitment/options.

Nick
I don't know who the rep at CCW was. I'm going to assume the rep is "no help" because they normally don't build the wheels. The rep is there to take your order that you decide to buy. At best, they can look up what they normally sell your type of car and give you a suggestion on the spec. Ultimately, it's your decision on what spec you buy. They're just there to facilitate the order and confirm it is what you want.

Their machine shop determines how to cut and match everything needed to achieve that spec. You're trying to build it to a certain size, and unless they have your faces in hand they won't be able to determine what the spec of your face is. Maybe it would be better for you to take your wheels to a wheel building shop to properly measure them out?

Have you tried bolting the faces up to your car and seeing if they fit our cars and clear the brakes?

Old 09-26-21, 10:45 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I don't know who the rep at CCW was. I'm going to assume the rep is "no help" because they normally don't build the wheels. The rep is there to take your order that you decide to buy. At best, they can look up what they normally sell your type of car and give you a suggestion on the spec. Ultimately, it's your decision on what spec you buy. They're just there to facilitate the order and confirm it is what you want.

Their machine shop determines how to cut and match everything needed to achieve that spec. You're trying to build it to a certain size, and unless they have your faces in hand they won't be able to determine what the spec of your face is. Maybe it would be better for you to take your wheels to a wheel building shop to properly measure them out?

Have you tried bolting the faces up to your car and seeing if they fit our cars and clear the brakes?
No, I haven’t had a chance to get the tires off and see how stuff lines up. I had them on my RX-7, which has larger brakes than the SC, I believe. So, hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Having said that, I am hoping to replace all inner and outers so the face shouldn’t matter right? I should be able to manipulate where the caliper sits in relation to that face.

As for the rep, I am speaking “the guy” for CCW and when I asked him for recommendations he told me he didn’t have any info. Told me they didn’t have a database to reference and give me some options. I find that incredible, but CCW was purchased and they closed the Florida office so maybe all of those data points are gone? Either way, I find it stunning that so far, they haven’t given me any options whatsoever.

Nick
Old 09-26-21, 12:57 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

No, I haven’t had a chance to get the tires off and see how stuff lines up. I had them on my RX-7, which has larger brakes than the SC, I believe. So, hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Having said that, I am hoping to replace all inner and outers so the face shouldn’t matter right? I should be able to manipulate where the caliper sits in relation to that face.

As for the rep, I am speaking “the guy” for CCW and when I asked him for recommendations he told me he didn’t have any info. Told me they didn’t have a database to reference and give me some options. I find that incredible, but CCW was purchased and they closed the Florida office so maybe all of those data points are gone? Either way, I find it stunning that so far, they haven’t given me any options whatsoever.

Nick
The face is a fixed piece, and everything is built around it. The face dictates all offsets options that you have. The lips and barrels only allow you to change the width and you adjust them accordingly around your face.

Maybe it's the vendors themselves that keep a database since most of them only sell to Supra owners, so they knew exactly what I was looking for.
Old 11-20-21, 08:09 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 437 Likes on 360 Posts

Any updates on your SC?
Old 11-21-21, 02:53 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Nothing has really changed on the car, but I do have a bunch of pictures from events to dump in here.

The pursuit at Longo Lexus

SILV

The crew

Back to CA

I needed someone to kill off my rear tires, so I can swap them out. Handed off the CCW to my buddy Brian.

JCCS

I ended up winning 1st place in the Neo Classic Toyota/Lexus category. Neo classics are all the chassis that went into production from 1985-1995.

Hit 210k miles last week

The following 3 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
Barbary (11-25-21), KahnBB6 (11-23-21), ThomasGS4 (01-02-22)
Old 11-21-21, 03:18 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Cool pics! Your buddy who’s borrowing your CCWs is a lucky boy! His car looks good with them, save for the wing. The wing makes the CCWs look out of place to me. He should do a wing delete and he’d be stylin’!

Nick
Old 11-22-21, 10:42 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

I love the pics! I’m so jealous of you California guys and your crazy Lexus/Toyota scene. That meet at Longo had a crazy amount of Lexus. How many cars showed up?

Your CCW’s look great on your car and on the black SC.
Old 11-23-21, 04:52 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kira X
I love the pics! I’m so jealous of you California guys and your crazy Lexus/Toyota scene. That meet at Longo had a crazy amount of Lexus. How many cars showed up?

Agreed! The car scene out there is so awesome.

Nick
Old 11-23-21, 05:53 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Cool pics! Your buddy who’s borrowing your CCWs is a lucky boy! His car looks good with them, save for the wing. The wing makes the CCWs look out of place to me. He should do a wing delete and he’d be stylin’!

Nick
He doesn't really care how the car looks because he races it all the time. He's running 9.5 with 275's all around when he races. He wanted to know what a wider wheel would feel like, so it worked out for both of us.

It was a 2 part event. First half was VIP/Invite only which was a couple hundred guest, then the second half was open to the public to come see the IS500 and Lexus race cars. I would say something like 400 cars throughout the night if I were to guess.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (11-23-21)
Old 11-23-21, 07:18 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Your car looks great out there!! And what an event turnout! I didn't know that Longo Toyota held these gatherings. Sounds like something I should plan to attend in the future once I'm back out that way with the SC. The variety of classic and new Toyota/Lexus vehicles in those pictures is fantastic!
Old 11-24-21, 10:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

He doesn't really care how the car looks because he races it all the time. He's running 9.5 with 275's all around when he races. He wanted to know what a wider wheel would feel like, so it worked out for both of us.

It was a 2 part event. First half was VIP/Invite only which was a couple hundred guest, then the second half was open to the public to come see the IS500 and Lexus race cars. I would say something like 400 cars throughout the night if I were to guess.
Wow! That’s a lot of cars! I think that’s more cars than we get at Cars and Coffee.

I need to visit and check out one of these meets.
Old 11-25-21, 09:22 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 507 Likes on 301 Posts

Beautiful car, congratulations on 1st place. Not easy in a place w lots of competition. And at 210 miles you even drive it. Thats sayin something!
Well photographed too. Well photographed pictures can make ones car shine.
Your hitting all the bases. Thats a home run
The following 3 users liked this post by Barbary:
Bimmerbill (11-26-21), KahnBB6 (11-26-21), Kira X (11-26-21)
Old 11-27-21, 08:28 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Your car looks great out there!! And what an event turnout! I didn't know that Longo Toyota held these gatherings. Sounds like something I should plan to attend in the future once I'm back out that way with the SC. The variety of classic and new Toyota/Lexus vehicles in those pictures is fantastic!
They called this event the pursuit in honor of the previous pursuit events they had in the past out at irwindale speedway.

Wow! That’s a lot of cars! I think that’s more cars than we get at Cars and Coffee.

I need to visit and check out one of these meets.
You should see our cars and coffee out here. The amount of cars that show up is insane.

Originally Posted by Barbary
Beautiful car, congratulations on 1st place. Not easy in a place w lots of competition. And at 210 miles you even drive it. Thats sayin something!
Well photographed too. Well photographed pictures can make ones car shine.
Your hitting all the bases. Thats a home run
Thank you. The SC only recently started getting a lot of miles because my daily driver was having issues at the beginning of this year. I kept driving the SC because I didn't have time to work on my camry. After replacing a bunch of parts on the camry, I did a compression and leak down test to find out the headgasket had a tiny leak in cylinder 1.
Old 01-01-22, 11:25 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

The SC has officially been retired.

I picked this up about a month ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
KahnBB6 (01-18-22), ThomasGS4 (01-02-22)
Old 01-01-22, 03:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

The SC has officially been retired.

I picked this up about a month ago.
Those GS’ are awesome and pretty comfortable. Does the SC being retired mean you’re still keeping it?

Quick Reply: My indecisive 98 SC300 build