Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

Otakusan's 2016 IS350 AWD F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 09:41 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry for the late reply guys, since i no longer own this vehicle..

Originally Posted by GTIS
Nice build, can you give a quick install steps and tips for this diffuser please.
it's actually very self explanatory once you get under the car and look at how the stock piece is installed.. there should be tons of YouTube videos for this mod.

Originally Posted by momak
where did you source the air spencer? I guess these are some chinese ones which people are saying are not very good
There are a hand full of shops in my city that sells them, but i'm sure you can get them online easily

Originally Posted by Colorway
awesome ride man! Edmonton here as well. May I ask where you ordered the trd spoiler from?
I got the TRD front and rear pieces directly from Lexus Boutique Japan...

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
very clean build...Subbed!
Thanks buddy, but sorry to disappoint you that there won't be anymore updates from me on this car.

Old 10-11-21, 08:46 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi everyone. I am the new owner of this build. Otakusan is a good friend of mine and when he decided to sell it he gave me first dibs 😁 Its been a couple years, but I will keep posting updates on this thread. Already added a few new parts. 😉

Last edited by KObjective; 10-14-21 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 08:57 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Owned for about 2 years. Since the car is like 90 percent ppf I wasnt sure what to use to maintain and protect it & the paint. Was scared of using products that may turn the ppf yellow. For the first year I was mainly using Meguiars Xpress spray wax. This summer I decided to use AmmoNYC Reflex Pro. Very happy with results 😊

The following users liked this post:
NICKLASISF (06-26-23)
Old 10-12-21, 09:14 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Throwback to older pictures. When I got the car, Otakusan let me keep the Jdm OEM key fob case. I kept an eye out and picked up a used second one for the spare fob. Also got a compustar 2way starter/alarm installed.

Old 10-14-21, 09:18 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Earlier this year I picked up a used 2IS Carbon Fiber Engine cover. It was in pretty rough shape. Tons of scratches. It was my first time wetsanding it out and polishing it back. Turned out ok.

Factory labels

Wet sand with 1000 grit, 2000, then used 3m's 3 step polishing/compound system with a dual action polisher

Finished recondtioning

2IS carbon vs 3IS factory cover

Installed. Sealed with 1 coat Klasse sealant, then 1 coat of liquid carnuba Turtle wax

Although this 2IS cover can be installed on a 3IS, It does slightly touch the upper rad hose. I'm worried it might rub and eventually put a hole in the hose, so I put a piece of foam in between for now
smitty2919 (06-20-24)
Old 10-17-21, 08:47 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Did my first oil change last month. Debated on which oil to use and ended up deciding on Amsoil

Swapped in Project Kics Magnetic drain plug during the oil change
Old 10-18-21, 08:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by KObjective
Earlier this year I picked up a used 2IS Carbon Fiber Engine cover. It was in pretty rough shape. Tons of scratches. It was my first time wetsanding it out and polishing it back. Turned out ok.
Wet sand with 1000 grit, 2000, then used 3m's 3 step polishing/compound system with a dual action polisher
I think the cover turned out a little more than ok.

But let's talk about what is parked in the left of the photo...would that be an AE86?
KObjective (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 07:54 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I think the cover turned out a little more than ok.

But let's talk about what is parked in the left of the photo...would that be an AE86?
Thanks. It looks good from 2 feet, but still a lot of micro/minor flaws and scratches.

Hahaha wow good eye and guess. Yes I also have an AE86. Owned since 2002

Last drive of the season yesterday. 😭
Old 10-18-21, 08:12 PM
KObjective
Rookie

One of the last parts otakusan bought was an Apexi Midpipe. His complaint was that he couldnt really hear the Rowen axle back when driving. He never got to installing it. I was worried it would make the car too loud and obnoxious, so it had been sitting in my basement for the last year and a half. Finally decided to install it last month:

I tried weighing them on a bathroom scale. Stock was 31lbs. Apexi was 27lbs

One man show and no lift. With 2 floor jacks the install was a breeze. Hardest part for me was putting the O2 sensors back in

Honestly the most time consuming part was partially removing the under panel covers to take off the mid chassis brace (was not done putting it on in last pic)

Review: luckily the midpipe didnt make the car obnoxious. Cold starts are a little louder with a metallic rasp. But once warmed up and at idle its quiet. Cruising around you can slightly hear a drone/exhaust. When you get on it you can now hear the Rowen exhaust. Now you hear more exhaust then engine/intake sound when driving hard.

Otakusan came by a couple weeks ago and gave his seal of approval of the sound. 😊 I know he spent a lot of time and money researching the best combo exhaust
Old 10-23-21, 07:04 AM
KObjective
Rookie

Was randomly surfing yahooauctions japan and found a Toms Strut bar listing that translated to "Lexus Previous IS" I wasnt 100% that it was for the 3IS generation and when trying to compare pictures online there were a few differences. The main one was the AVS plug holes were in different spots. I did find an old for sale ad for a Toms ISF strut bar that looked the same. Knowing guys are using 2IS Cusco and Megan racing bars I risked it and bought it.

Interesting to see the construction underneath

AVS plug hole in different spots. Top image was from a random google search

Install was pretty straight foward. No issues. I wasnt sure if I should have taken off the factory black ring plates under the avs covers. I left them on and bolted the bar on top. Saw most guys left them on

Close fit to the 2IS carbon engine cover

One issue is the vacuum line touches. Hopefully it doesnt rub and make a hole

The differences between 3IS vs 2IS ISF. Luckily it does fit with no issues so far
Old 10-30-21, 02:45 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Found a NOS Tanabe under brace on Ebay Canada. When researching, they were listed for RWD models only. I looked at the differences between the RWD and AWD and thought all you had to do was buy RWD lower control arm braces (they have the nut mount for the brace to bolt to). Turns out the braces are bent a little different, so it wasnt bolt on. Had to tweak them a bit.

Tanabe UBT28 underbrace. RWD lower control arm braces & bolts for the brace

Oem part numbers

AWD brace. No mounting point for the Tanabe bar

Bend angles are a little different.

Because the bends are different it wouldnt mount flush. Big gaps in the areas with the arrows

Was able to correct the bends by hand and with a hammer & vise. But for the one bend you have to notch this corner part to make enough room to rebend

Bolted up.

Hangs a little lower than the factory crossmember.
Old 12-12-21, 09:11 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Decided to buy the FSport air box lid option. Purely for cosmetic reasons

First thing I saw when I opened the box. No wonder this part number is US/North American number only

Pipe size the same as stock one

Installed
Old 12-26-21, 11:26 AM
KObjective
Rookie

I've been always filling my cars with Esso gas. Got a notice that they are ending their Esso points rewards. Cashed them out for Amazon gift cards and bought a HPS intake pipe. I've been trying to keep an eye out for JDM Lems or Exart pipe, but figure the price and shipping was not worth it.

I like the fact it reuses the sound generator.

Had to take off the Toms strut bar and engine cover

48000kms. Throttle body still clean

Installed. Pretty straight foward. Figured the blue pipe matches the FSport blue well. Haven't driven the car much as it is now winter here. Was hoping for more engine/induction noise as after the midpipe install all I hear is exhaust. I always liked the stock sound generator noise.
Old 12-31-21, 04:52 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Since I had to take off the strut bar I installed a RR-Racing AOS. Pretty straight foward install. Added hose clamps as some guys on youtube were having leak issues.

Engine bay is finally complete for me. Not much else I can do in terms of mods without going crazy. Plus its winter season here, so hard to do any work/installs
FSporting (01-04-22)
Old 02-06-22, 08:25 PM
KObjective
Rookie

Update on the RR Racing AOS. Its been about 3 months since the install. We had a very cold Christmas and now the weather has been warming up. Havent driven the car much. When I checked the AOS today I was shocked! Over half full.

Its all water with a small bit of oil. Must be all condensations. I was very worried about running an AOS/catch can in the winter as I've heard horror stories of them freezing up. RR-Racing assured me when I bought it that its okay to use them in the winter, but looks like I will have to keep an extra eye on it
Sasnuke (02-07-22)

Quick Reply: Otakusan's 2016 IS350 AWD F-Sport