Build Threads Details on Club Lexus RC-F owner vehicles

Mingofish Atlanta RCF build

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 04:37 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by weswork
Dang, Ming. Sorry to hear that on your miesterschaft. Is it now as loud as when I heard it with valves open??
Hey Wes,
It's not as loud as with valves open. Guess the crack is small so not as much noise comes through. Actually sounds different, more raspy.
Think I'll go get some duct tape...hahaha
Old 08-12-17, 12:21 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 685 Likes on 604 Posts

Ming,

Tried calling you. GTHAUS is going to fix the issue.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-13-17, 09:22 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Ming,

Tried calling you. GTHAUS is going to fix the issue.

-Josh
Talk about service! You called them before I called you?
How awesome is that!!!! You da man Josh.

I just watched an episode of Car Fix where they made a custom Ti exhaust for a 1400hp Supra.
They were talking about "backing" the weld with argon. That means the front & the back of the weld area has to be surrounded by argon gas during the welding process.
Not sure anyone in Atl is set up to deal with that...
Hope GT Haus comes through with a swap that doesn't entail waiting 6 months...
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (08-14-17)
Old 08-14-17, 03:44 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Topspeed has a custom fabricator that makes Ti exhausts. I bet they could fix it for Gthaus rather than remove the exhaust from the car. Not sure if that would be an option, but just letting you know. Can't wait to hear it next week, so get that thing fixed ! Haha
Old 08-14-17, 07:26 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Edson,
I was gonna call them anyway. Didn't know they had a Ti guy though. Thanks for the heads up.

Josh told me today that GT haus wants me to ship the exhaust back in order for them to repair it.
There's no way I'm doing that. Packing that up and shipping to Chicago; then for them to ship it somewhere else (likey Korea??) to get it repaired and then come back would take forever.
Plus shipping cost would be horrendous, not to mention months of down time.

I called Top speed & spoke to Cicio. He told me around $200 if I brought him the muffler. $500 if they got to dismount and reinstall. Prices are a bit high but I don't guess I have a choice.
This way my car is only down a week or so.

Got track day Wednesday so guessin this Thursday I can take muffler off but then you won't get to see it following Monday... Will see. Got an important track day on 9/1 so I definitely need the exhaust fixed by then.
Old 08-16-17, 04:23 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Heading to AMP today to work out the F.
Gonna test out the Tom's chassis braces. Hope it's noticeable.

Was on the SCCA website poking around last night. Found this pic from the last session 😬
Attached Thumbnails Mingofish Atlanta RCF build-tnia-2017-07-19-17.44.41.jpg  
Old 08-23-17, 05:13 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

I had a track day with the Tom's stiffening braces installed as well as the Blitz front strut tower bar.
My impressions from the 4 short sessions that day were positive for sure.
The car noticeably feels "stiffer", especially in long sweeper like chacains & larger esses.

It's hard to describe but before the bars, I can almost feel the car "flex" so when the rear end wants to drift, there's a "lag time" (for lack of a better description ) between my steering/throttle correction vs the car responding.
Now with the bars installed, that lag time is shorter and car is more responsive to those corrections. Overall it's just a better, more crisp chassis that gives more feed back.

Is it a dramatic difference? No.
But for guys that are road track junkies, it's definitely worth the investment.
For street guys, don't bother.

My front control arms will be here in another few weeks. Can't wait to see how car drives when I can get 3 degrees on the front!
Also ordered the resonated mid pipe from ARH to replace the non-resonated meisterschaft one. Now may be I won't get black flagged for noise...
Attached Thumbnails Mingofish Atlanta RCF build-img_3217.jpg   Mingofish Atlanta RCF build-img_3218.jpg   Mingofish Atlanta RCF build-img_3201.jpg  

Last edited by Mingofish; 08-23-17 at 05:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ModInJapan (08-23-17)
Old 08-23-17, 03:31 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Poor ol' rcf on the injured reserve list...
Meisterschaft going to Top Speed tomorrow to get the Ti crack repaired.

So much for GT Haus fixing it.
They wanted me to pack up & send back to them. Right...
Took me 4 months to get exhaust when I paid them in full. No telling how long that will take when it's a free warranty issue.
Attached Thumbnails Mingofish Atlanta RCF build-img_3241.jpg  
Old 08-27-17, 09:30 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Reinstalled muffler yesterday. No drama. Sweet.
The repair weld isn't so pretty but I guess it gets the job done.
Attached Thumbnails Mingofish Atlanta RCF build-img_3250.jpg  
Old 08-27-17, 10:21 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

This is DISCONCERNING...

Thank you for the FEEDBACK...

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Well...was suppose to be a good day installing goodies & but found some not so good news.

The Tom's braces install was cake. Will give driving feed back next week.
2 pics are the front brace & center brace. Forgot to take pic of the 3 rear braces.

Changed the tranny fluid, differential gear oil & the tvd diff's fluids.
Tranny fluid was sorta "used" looking. Not bright red like new but had a tinge of brown color. Didn't noticed much solid debris. It was time though. Glad to get all the break-in stuff out. Put back Toyota WS atf.

The main diff's gear oil was terrible. It had so much debris in it, a solid chunk of sludge came out attached to the drain plug. No good. I'll be changing that gear oil again real soon to flush out more of that sledge. Put in Redline 75W85.

The TVD fluid looked brand new when it came out. Didn't see any metal flakes. It got refilled with WS atf also.

while I was under the car, found a cracked weld in my meisterschaft Ti exhaust. Yeah...not happy.
Was wondering what's up since I noticed my exhaust note changed a bit recently.
Thats the trade off having super stiff Ti. It doesn't give and cracks easy. Will have to find someone who can weld Ti.

Also tried a 285/30 tire on my advan +35 rims to check clearance. No go. Scrubs the fender liners at full lock. Gotta stick with 275 at my current ride height of 26".
Old 09-07-17, 06:30 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Howdy folks, just an update on my exhaust.

Many of yall know I've been having issues with excessive noise and getting flagged on track.
My solution was to get a different mid pipe that has resonators to lower the sound level.
My original mid pipe was a meister musa.
The new one is from ARH.

Here's my feed back on ARH.
First, the customer service was good. Phone calls were returned promptly and delivery of goods was fast (5 days).
Upon arrival, everything looked fine, although initial thoughts were the quality of workmanship was a bit lower than I had hoped.
The pipes were raw stainless (not polished) which I expected from their photos.
The connection between flanges & pipes were rough looking on the inside. Looks like welds were ground down with a de-burring tool but nothing else done beyond that. I expected a better "ported" type finish.
Upon installation, I realized they sent wrong size clamps for the rear section. They sent 4x 3" clamps but pipes reduce from 3" to 2.5" in the rear. I had to reuse the Meister clamps or I would have been stuck.
Also, they sent 4x bolts for the rear flanges between mid pipe and axle back. Those bolts were too short due to the way they terminate the pipe ends into a "bulb" like tapered shape which becomes the gasket seal. The oem pipes used an aluminum cone shaped gasket that sits in a grove-much better imo.

After bolting everything up, we realized the mid pipe rubs the chassis in 3 spots.
One we fixed by moving the car's center chassis brace just a fudge.
The 2nd spot we just pounded the heat shield as far up against the body as possible and it gave 1/16" clearance.
The third spot still rubs currently, making a grunting sound when I turn left. No good...
Looking into getting a slightly longer rubber hanger thingy to drop the rear section slightly. Hopefully that will give the room needed so it doesn't rub.
If...If I cannot get the AHR mid pipe to stop rubbing, I'm probably going to cut the resonators out of it and have them welded onto the Musa mid pipe. Will see...

Fwiw, the exhaust volume is way suppressed, which was my objective w/o giving up much hp vs the old meister one.
Now I can drive with the valves closed and sound like oem or open valves for a lil fun!
Before, I couldn't even open the valves. It was too loud with valves closed.
I think the hp is slightly less on top end vs the meister but on street driving, it's not noticeable at all.
But the sound! Car sounds like an F1 car now. It is not nearly as throaty but the higher note makes it sound way more exotic, not like typical American v8 deep rumble.

Will try to get a sound clip sometime soon.

Feel like I got such a strange mix of exhaust parts...
PPE header
AHR mid pipe
Musa Ti axle back

Last edited by Mingofish; 09-07-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 08:48 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Howdy folks, just an update on my exhaust.

Many of yall know I've been having issues with excessive noise and getting flagged on track.
My solution was to get a different mid pipe that has resonators to lower the sound level.
My original mid pipe was a meister musa.
The new one is from ARH.

Here's my feed back on ARH.
First, the customer service was good. Phone calls were returned promptly and delivery of goods was fast (5 days).
Upon arrival, everything looked fine, although initial thoughts were the quality of workmanship was a bit lower than I had hoped.
The pipes were raw stainless (not polished) which I expected from their photos.
The connection between flanges & pipes were rough looking on the inside. Looks like welds were ground down with a de-burring tool but nothing else done beyond that. I expected a better "ported" type finish.
Upon installation, I realized they sent wrong size clamps for the rear section. They sent 4x 3" clamps but pipes reduce from 3" to 2.5" in the rear. I had to reuse the Meister clamps or I would have been stuck.
Also, they sent 4x bolts for the rear flanges between mid pipe and axle back. Those bolts were too short due to the way they terminate the pipe ends into a "bulb" like tapered shape which becomes the gasket seal. The oem pipes used an aluminum cone shaped gasket that sits in a grove-much better imo.

After bolting everything up, we realized the mid pipe rubs the chassis in 3 spots.
One we fixed by moving the car's center chassis brace just a fudge.
The 2nd spot we just pounded the heat shield as far up against the body as possible and it gave 1/16" clearance.
The third spot still rubs currently, making a grunting sound when I turn left. No good...
Looking into getting a slightly longer rubber hanger thingy to drop the rear section slightly. Hopefully that will give the room needed so it doesn't rub.
If...If I cannot get the AHR mid pipe to stop rubbing, I'm probably going to cut the resonators out of it and have them welded onto the Musa mid pipe. Will see...

Fwiw, the exhaust volume is way suppressed, which was my objective w/o giving up much hp vs the old meister one.
Now I can drive with the valves closed and sound like oem or open valves for a lil fun!
Before, I couldn't even open the valves. It was too loud with valves closed.
I think the hp is slightly less on top end vs the meister but on street driving, it's not noticeable at all.
But the sound! Car sounds like an F1 car now. It is not nearly as throaty but the higher note makes it sound way more exotic, not like typical American v8 deep rumble.

Will try to get a sound clip sometime soon.

Feel like I got such a strange mix of exhaust parts...
PPE header
AHR mid pipe
Musa Ti axle back
hey ming, just fyi... cant weld the stainless with TI. hope you find a solution
Old 09-08-17, 04:57 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Lou, thanks for the reminder!
The Mesti mid pipe is actually SS and not Ti so I'm good.
Only my axle back is Ti.
Pretty sure the local place that welded the crack can make Ti flanges so I could have them make the resonators essentially a bolt on part if I had a Ti mid pipe.

Any other resonated mid pipe out there you like that will bolt up (besides Apexi)?
Old 09-11-17, 08:11 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi Lou, thanks for the reminder!
The Mesti mid pipe is actually SS and not Ti so I'm good.
Only my axle back is Ti.
Pretty sure the local place that welded the crack can make Ti flanges so I could have them make the resonators essentially a bolt on part if I had a Ti mid pipe.

Any other resonated mid pipe out there you like that will bolt up (besides Apexi)?
Apex is the only one you can purchase separately, but the invidia midpipe works too if you can find it used since they wont sell it separately.
Old 09-11-17, 08:29 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
Apex is the only one you can purchase separately, but the invidia midpipe works too if you can find it used since they wont sell it separately.
i don't think invidia can bolt onto other midpipe or axle-back. It has to be a set.

Quick Reply: Mingofish Atlanta RCF build