Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 07:42 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Steve,
All PPE headers are catless.
I’ve actually got a custom mid pipe being made by them that has high flow cats and resonators.
Hopfully it won’t rob too much power.
My current ARH mid pipe sounds good and feels good. Just that the fitment is terrible and rubs the car chassis so I had to find a new option.
When ahead & got cats this time since I’m sick of people telling me my car stinks
This PPE one will be my third mid pipe since I started with Meisterschaft (too loud with headers). Think I’m nuts...
O wow icic. Yea I follow my buddy's catless M3 and it stinked haha.
California officers are sensitive to these smells so I have to get cat if I go with PPE header option.
LOL 3rd mid pipe! Let us know when you get PPE mid pipe~

Thanks!
Old 06-04-18, 11:00 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Well more drama with the header issue...

PPE was kind enough to send me a new extension harness for bank #2.
Was sent out Wednesday so I was suppose to receive it Friday.
No show ;(
Saturday still no show at 2pm so I decided to take out old one and see what it looked like and if I can “fix” it.

Boy that harness is no fun to get out. The top plug is cramped in between the motor and fire wall
with about 3” of access space. Tried getting it from below but it was too far up, couldn’t get my fingers far enough to undo the clip. Finally ended up having one person up top with a long angled pick to release the clip and a person under the car to pull wire out.
what I found was pretty surprising. There were 4 wires total in the harness. 3 of the 4 were melted to each other. The forth one was melted into the aluminum heat shielding that came wrapped around the wires.
No wonder I was getting codes for high voltage and low voltage maxing out...

Stupid usps never delivered my package Saturday so I decided to “fix” the wires and see if I can make it work. No time this week to work on car and going to Barber for track next weekend.

I separated all the melted wires and isolated them with electrical tape. Then I wrapped them in header wrap. Then I sorta rigged up the original aluminum heat sheild around the outside. Asian engineering ;0

Reinstallation of the harness was even more difficult since now I have to push a floppy wire harness upwards like 3 feet into a clip. Took some ingenuity but it finally happened.
So far no codes!!!

Last edited by Mingofish; 06-04-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 07:02 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Got my oil sample back today.
Amsoil 5w30 (the test sheet says 0w30 but it’s 5w30)
Been in the car 4300 miles with 5 or 6 single track days.
According to Daniel Mackey, the test is right on except silica is a tad high.
Been using almost shell 93 exclusively with a few tanks of chevron 93 mixed in.
I changed the oil filter only (oem Toyota) when I took this sample, so I guess I’ll track it another 5-6 times then test again.
If I can change this Amsoil only once a year (approx 8k miles) with 7-8 track days, I will be ecstatic!!
Old 06-07-18, 07:40 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Wow Ming sorry you had to go through all that trouble to fix that wires. Looks like PITA. Were you always using amsoil 5w-30?

I just use Mobile 1 synthetic for last 15 years on my cars so I just use mobile 1 (easy to find on local store too) and OEM filter.

I do not track my car. It's only DD. Do you recommend switching to Amsoil from Mobile 1?

I might use different oil next time if other oils are better for our cars =)
Old 06-08-18, 05:15 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Excited. Getting new track tires today before heading to Barber Motorsports Park tomorrow.
275/35/19 front
285/30/19 rear
i was running square but hoping to get a tad more contact patch in the back so I went slightly wide.
Rear end likes to poke out when the traction control is off. A small stagger will help reduce oversteer the way I have car set up.
Old 06-10-18, 06:03 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
Wow Ming sorry you had to go through all that trouble to fix that wires. Looks like PITA. Were you always using amsoil 5w-30?

I just use Mobile 1 synthetic for last 15 years on my cars so I just use mobile 1 (easy to find on local store too) and OEM filter.

I do not track my car. It's only DD. Do you recommend switching to Amsoil from Mobile 1?

I might use different oil next time if other oils are better for our cars =)
steve,
For daily use, Mobil 1 is just fine imo.
I just wanted the best protection possible for Track wear and tear and willing to pay more to know I’m using the absolute best oil possible.
The cost of Amsoil is considerably more than Mobil 1. Probably overkill for street use.
Old 06-10-18, 06:11 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Got back from Barber yesterday. 91 degrees all day on track. No codes so my Chinese engineering worked! The sensor extension repair held up perfectly.

The new cup2 tires were amazing.
The road feel is leaps and bounds better than the Yokohama AD08R I was running before. Grip is slightly better and the side wall is where cup2 excelled. Plus they never got greasy even towards end of day.
Just an FYI if anyone is considering cup2 for daily use, the road noise is considerably more than PSS.
Old 06-10-18, 08:46 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Haha yea I will stick with mobile 1 then. Thanks! lol @ Chinese engineering. Glad it worked out. Thanks for the feedback on PS2. I might switch to PS2 from PS4 next time. im just big fan of Michelin tires after MPSS. Gotta love their tires!
Old 06-10-18, 11:52 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Excited. Getting new track tires today before heading to Barber Motorsports Park tomorrow.
275/35/19 front
285/30/19 rear
i was running square but hoping to get a tad more contact patch in the back so I went slightly wide.
Rear end likes to poke out when the traction control is off. A small stagger will help reduce oversteer the way I have car set up.
Thanks! For your dedication in checking which oil is better. Just out of curiosity, were you able to weigh your 285/35/19 Cup2? When I changed my 295/30/20 PSS to 305/30/20 Cup2 no more slipping but felt slower. I’m guessing it’s just too wide and circumference was way bigger.
Old 06-10-18, 08:35 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
Fahd, yes the bigger tires does make the car feel slower; obviously more rotational mass to get moving. It doesn’t bother me as much since I’m on track and rolling already. If you’re red light racing then it’s different.
To me, the size of tire up front effects much more so than in the rear as it slows steering input.

If you really want to know the tire weight, michelin’s Website has a pdf of each tire and the weight/specs of production sizes.
Sorry I didn’t weight em.
Old 06-10-18, 09:33 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

^^^
Fahd, yes the bigger tires does make the car feel slower; obviously more rotational mass to get moving. It doesn’t bother me as much since I’m on track and rolling already. If you’re red light racing then it’s different.
To me, the size of tire up front effects much more so than in the rear as it slows steering input.

If you really want to know the tire weight, michelin’s Website has a pdf of each tire and the weight/specs of production sizes.
Sorry I didn’t weight em.
Thanks! for the info man. I didn't even know that they have a tire chart with info including weights.
Old 06-11-18, 07:02 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Old 06-11-18, 10:23 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Thanks! I downloaded 3 PDFs when mentioned it last time. PSS, PS4S, Cup 2...
Old 06-23-18, 07:10 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Christmas in June, wooo!
My 3rd mid-pipe showed up. PPE H-pipe with high flow cats and resonators.
First let me say the guys at PPE are pleasant to work with.
The quality of the pipes and welds were top notch.
One hiccup was that I requested them to include new crush gaskets but none was sent..
Installed with one issue. The right side pipe still had clearance issues and was rubbing on the oe middle chassis brace’s bolt.
Had to grind the bolt head down half way to gain the 1/8” clearance needed. Sigh...
was hoping the PPE one would fit better. That’s the kind of issues I had with the previous ARH one.
Good thing is it’s all fixed now. No more grinding noises.

My feed back on PPE mid pipe:
1. The low to mid range torque definitely is better than the ARH one.
I contribute that to the back pressure/pipe size difference.
PPE is 2.5”. ARH was 3” all the way, hence the clearance issues.

2. The PPE one has a much lower tone, more muscle car like; due to H configuration I’m guessing.
I actually liked the ARH one better... It sounds more exotic, with a higher pitch tone.

3. The sound volume definitely is lower now due to having cats vs no cats on ARH one.
Oh well. It’s a more “mature” sound. Haha.

Last edited by Mingofish; 06-23-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 07:18 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Quick feed back on the cup 2 front fitment.
The fronts are 275/35/19
I knew that’s a bit taller than optimal but cup2 only came in 35 series in 275 width.
Previously I’ve ran 275/30 on track with minimal scrubbing only on high compression sharp turns.
But now the 35’s scrub pretty bad. I even tried raising the car by 5/8” in the front but still no go.
Think my high neg camber of 2.8 degrees just won’t clear. For others without UCA and at like 1.5 camber, it may or may not clear. FWIW.

So for others who want to run cup2, use 30 series only in 255 or 265 to be safe.
FYi. Good day.

Last edited by Mingofish; 06-23-18 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Mingofish Atlanta RCF build