Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

RR Racing Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 09:51 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MLRSTJ
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I'm having to rebuild my motor after only 300 miles with Supercharger installed.

I don't understand what you're saying here? You damaged your motor due to an issue with the supercharger installed?
Old 03-07-17, 12:05 PM
MLRSTJ
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I don't understand what you're saying here? You damaged your motor due to an issue with the supercharger installed?
Tough to say if it was a pre-existing problem or not , would know better if I was advised to do compression test first before spent 10K. Either way I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a compression test before anybody spends 10K otherwise it could cost you like me another 10K to fix.
Old 03-07-17, 12:49 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear man😞

V.
Old 03-07-17, 12:54 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Tough to say if it was a pre-existing problem or not , would know better if I was advised to do compression test first before spent 10K. Either way I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing a compression test before anybody spends 10K otherwise it could cost you like me another 10K to fix.
So what exactly happened with your motor? low compresion numbers? knocking?
Old 03-07-17, 01:04 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

GTFOH!!!....................mind sharing what happened??^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-07-17, 02:18 PM
willstroo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I'm having to rebuild my motor after only 300 miles with Supercharger installed.
What?!?! You blew the engine that fast?

Are you saying it was the belt..?
Old 03-07-17, 06:03 PM
MLRSTJ
Rookie

Default Engine Rebuild

Originally Posted by Joker4096
So what exactly happened with your motor? low compresion numbers? knocking?
Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
GTFOH!!!....................mind sharing what happened??^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by willstroo
What?!?! You blew the engine that fast?

Are you saying it was the belt..?

After the supercharger was broke in, the second time I was driving the car the it went in limp mode. The check engine light and traction control lights came and would not reset. I had the OBD code read and it said P0307 that means misfire in cylinder 7. Then I had it towed back to the shop and ran a compression test which confirmed cylinder 7 was not holding compression and looking like a the piston failed. Its going to be taken apart tomorrow and I will know more then about the failure.
Old 03-07-17, 08:27 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Damn, that sucks! Thanks for the update though. Curious as to what you'll find out.

Did Rafi chime in as to his thoughts on this failure? The only cases here on CL that I've heard of someone blowing something in their motor was from running too much nitrous (like a 200 shot or something). The 6-7 psi that the Rotrex produces isn't that much, but wonder if this is a condition of boost coupled with a 11.8:1 compression?
Old 03-08-17, 09:07 AM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

DAAAAAMMMM!!! this blows to hear such an amazing engine going out like that. to me sounds like low compression in one cylinder usually indicates a bad exhaust valve.
Old 03-08-17, 04:34 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the blown engine from op's car? If not maybe you wanna start your own thread instead of cluttering up his.
Old 03-15-17, 07:15 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FinLIFE
Is the blown engine from op's car? If not maybe you wanna start your own thread instead of cluttering up his.
Any updates? The blown engine is kind of worrisome and if the OP does not object, I don't see why this information shouldn't be shared by another member who had the SC installed. This thread is about SC install, so any experience from other members is valuable, don't you think?
Old 03-15-17, 09:30 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bbong
Any updates? The blown engine is kind of worrisome and if the OP does not object, I don't see why this information shouldn't be shared by another member who had the SC installed. This thread is about SC install, so any experience from other members is valuable, don't you think?
This thread is for all of you. As long as we keep it on topic (supercharger), I'm good.
Old 03-15-17, 09:46 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

After the supercharger was broke in, the second time I was driving the car the it went in limp mode. The check engine light and traction control lights came and would not reset. I had the OBD code read and it said P0307 that means misfire in cylinder 7. Then I had it towed back to the shop and ran a compression test which confirmed cylinder 7 was not holding compression and looking like a the piston failed. Its going to be taken apart tomorrow and I will know more then about the failure.
Update on what you found out^^^^^^^^^^^^^?

Thx
Old 03-16-17, 06:53 AM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I second this ^^^^^^^. i would like to know what failed. because i've spoken to Rafi before about the supercharger and he states that they have been running their Supercharger since they first came up with their prototype and now are using their production line supercharger and they have multiple track days with hundreds of miles already on their system and yet to encounter any hiccups with their setup. so i'm eager to find out if this is due to failure to maintain the engine and car at its due interval service schedule, before the supercharger was installed. or a self install failure. I'm looking to do this install sometime in the fall or next year and i might just take the car to have Rafi to have them install the system for me.
Old 03-16-17, 05:44 PM
MLRSTJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbong
Originally Posted by St4nc3
DAAAAAMMMM!!! this blows to hear such an amazing engine going out like that. to me sounds like low compression in one cylinder usually indicates a bad exhaust valve.
Originally Posted by St4nc3
I second this ^^^^^^^. i would like to know what failed. because i've spoken to Rafi before about the supercharger and he states that they have been running their Supercharger since they first came up with their prototype and now are using their production line supercharger and they have multiple track days with hundreds of miles already on their system and yet to encounter any hiccups with their setup. so i'm eager to find out if this is due to failure to maintain the engine and car at its due interval service schedule, before the supercharger was installed. or a self install failure. I'm looking to do this install sometime in the fall or next year and i might just take the car to have Rafi to have them install the system for me.
Sorry, I didn't update you guys sooner been very busy at work so I can pay for all of this. Anyway all the drivers side pistons were found with cracks in them. Pics show cracked portion of the ringland on pistons. Had a leak test on engine before disassembly and found leak of 20%-40% on the drivers side. The block is now being honed at machine shop. Next step will be ordering custom forged pistons.
Attached Thumbnails RR Racing Supercharger Install-img_3505.jpg   RR Racing Supercharger Install-img_3506.jpg   RR Racing Supercharger Install-img_3507.jpg   RR Racing Supercharger Install-img_3508.jpg   RR Racing Supercharger Install-img_3509.jpg  

RR Racing Supercharger Install-img_3510.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by MLRSTJ:
21ce (03-16-17), GrizzlyMan (08-12-21)

Quick Reply: RR Racing Supercharger Install