Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

"Baby"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 08:21 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Just looked through the thread and what a clean and well done SC. Good job so far man. Really, really, nice car.

If you’d like any pointers on the paint correction/detailing, let me know. I just completed the paint correction on my SC4 last night. Well worth the effort!

Nick
Old 12-20-21, 08:08 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks! I'm not gonna be doing anything crazy for the paint this time around, just wash, claybar, wash again, dry, and apply ceramic coat. Last time i had a friend compound and polish the car before applying the ceramic coating but I don't plan on doing that this time around though.

The eventual plan is to have the car repainted using the same paint while also fixing any dings and shave off the antenna but it's gonna be years before i have the money to do that
Old 12-21-21, 05:22 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by - V -
Thanks! I'm not gonna be doing anything crazy for the paint this time around, just wash, claybar, wash again, dry, and apply ceramic coat. Last time i had a friend compound and polish the car before applying the ceramic coating but I don't plan on doing that this time around though.

The eventual plan is to have the car repainted using the same paint while also fixing any dings and shave off the antenna but it's gonna be years before i have the money to do that
Sounds good man. Only thing I’d caution is that if you had a ceramic coat on it before, you shouldn’t really have contamination in your clear coat, meaning the clay may not be necessary. Take a thin ziploc bag and stick your hand in the bag and run your finger along the paint after it’s washed and dried. If you feel the little bumps and hear the bag kind of scraping, then you need the clay.

Clay is a slight abrasive, so if you don’t need it, you shouldn’t do it. In either event, it sounds like you’re doing things properly, so keep up the great work! Car looks awesome dude!

Nick
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (12-21-21)
Old 12-21-21, 02:09 PM
- V -
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Sounds good man. Only thing I’d caution is that if you had a ceramic coat on it before, you shouldn’t really have contamination in your clear coat, meaning the clay may not be necessary. Take a thin ziploc bag and stick your hand in the bag and run your finger along the paint after it’s washed and dried. If you feel the little bumps and hear the bag kind of scraping, then you need the clay.

Clay is a slight abrasive, so if you don’t need it, you shouldn’t do it. In either event, it sounds like you’re doing things properly, so keep up the great work! Car looks awesome dude!

Nick
Yeah I did have it before but i guess it wore out or deteriorated over the past 2 years because it does have those contaminants that you mentioned. The ceramic coating I use is Avalon King which is rated to last about 2 years so i guess its normal to have to reapply. We have cooler weather in the next 2 days so I plan to do it then
Old 12-21-21, 06:32 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Yeah I did have it before but i guess it wore out or deteriorated over the past 2 years because it does have those contaminants that you mentioned. The ceramic coating I use is Avalon King which is rated to last about 2 years so i guess its normal to have to reapply. We have cooler weather in the next 2 days so I plan to do it then
Same I’m using! I’ve only applied it to my daily so far, was gonna do the Lexus in a couple days but I haven’t been super impressed. My Camry definitely take more abuse than the Lexus would but so far I don’t find the coating to make washes easier which was a big reason for me buying it.

I’m gonna press on with the Avalon King coating cause I already bought it, but next time around I’m going to try AMMO and their ceramic coating.

Looking forward to the pictures after the coating! Glossy!!

Nick
Old 12-21-21, 08:06 PM
- V -
Instructor

It made washing it waaay easier for me after i applied it. Dirt just doesn't seem to stick to the car anymore and when it does get dirty, usually a simple garden hose rinse will take off like 90% of the dirt. The one I've heard really good things about is gtechiq but Its supposed to be really hard to apply and take off and is also crazy expensive

One side benefit i found when using avalon king is if you apply it to the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield that tends to get spotty from the sun, it brings back the rich black look and its still like that 2 years later. Also if you use a heavier compound polish on the outside of the seals to get rid of the 'dead' rubber and then apply avalon king, it will also stop the black streaks that happen after it rains, especially on white cars.
Old 12-22-21, 04:59 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

It made washing it waaay easier for me after i applied it. Dirt just doesn't seem to stick to the car anymore and when it does get dirty, usually a simple garden hose rinse will take off like 90% of the dirt. The one I've heard really good things about is gtechiq but Its supposed to be really hard to apply and take off and is also crazy expensive

One side benefit i found when using avalon king is if you apply it to the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield that tends to get spotty from the sun, it brings back the rich black look and its still like that 2 years later. Also if you use a heavier compound polish on the outside of the seals to get rid of the 'dead' rubber and then apply avalon king, it will also stop the black streaks that happen after it rains, especially on white cars.
Yes, it does wonders for black plastics! I wonder if we saw the same Chris Fix video?

It is expensive though so I’ve been using a very inexpensive sealant on the black plastics of my wife’s Passport from Sonax. They call it Polymer Net Shield and it does a great job restoring black plastics as well! My old black plastics on my Camry soaked up so much of the ceramic that I ran out of fluid and couldn’t do all the plastics fully.

In any event, awesome stuff dude. Really excited to see your next moves!

Nick
Old 12-23-21, 02:26 PM
- V -
Instructor

Cut and rolled fenders.
3/4 worked perfectly but the last one I screwed the pooch. On the rear passenger side fender, i ended up cutting to close to the rolling point on the very top of the fender which meant i wasn't able to actually roll it and ended up shaving it. Doesn't look any different from the outside but if you stick your head into the wheel well its obvious. lol

PS. Anyone got any tips on how to secure the flapping edge of the splash guard on the fronts?

Also replaced the remote entry module and reprogrammed it to accept my key. Reinstalled the rear inner panel and rear seats
Old 12-26-21, 02:05 PM
- V -
Instructor

Default Wash + Clay + Ceramic

Washed, clayed and ceramic coated the car!
Step 1: Wash:

Clayed and Rinsed!

Dried and Ceramic Coated. Shiny!

I will never get tired of how smooth the paint feels after doing this process. Highly recommend!
The following 3 users liked this post by - V -:
Barbary (12-26-21), CLass of 1 (12-26-21), John703 (01-19-22)
Old 12-26-21, 03:12 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Looks great dude! I just did mine as well. Too bad we aren’t close to each we could have one shiny photo shoot! Lol

Great work!

Nick
Old 12-26-21, 03:56 PM
- V -
Instructor

Looks great dude! I just did mine as well. Too bad we aren’t close to each we could have one shiny photo shoot! Lol

Great work!

Nick
Thanks! I just saw the pictures you posted in the other thread, looking good. Where in FL are you, maybe we are lol
Old 12-26-21, 05:22 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Thanks! I just saw the pictures you posted in the other thread, looking good. Where in FL are you, maybe we are lol
Oh, you’re in Florida? I’m in Orlando, on the East side of town.

Nick
Old 12-26-21, 06:30 PM
- V -
Instructor

Oh, you’re in Florida? I’m in Orlando, on the East side of town.

Nick
Oof, I'm around Fort Myers. its like a 4 hour drive lol. Too bad, would have been cool
Old 12-26-21, 07:46 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Oof, I'm around Fort Myers. its like a 4 hour drive lol. Too bad, would have been cool
If you’re by this way let me know! I may take the car to visit a friend in Sarasota one of these days. I’ll drop you a line.

Nick
Old 12-26-21, 07:58 PM
- V -
Instructor

If you’re by this way let me know! I may take the car to visit a friend in Sarasota one of these days. I’ll drop you a line.

Nick
For sure!.

Quick Reply: "Baby"