Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Procharged 92 sc400 -Old Gold

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 12:37 PM
GhostDog88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Procharged 92 sc400 -Old Gold

Whats up everyone? I've been lurking as a reader for a long time and finally decided to pull the trigger on my project. Here is a taste for whats to come. I'll try to do a build thread as well. I hope this will help those interested in a similar project. I've never worked as a mechanic. I'm just a guy who loves these cars and has an internet connection. Most of the information is out there thanks to you guys!! This will be by far my biggest automotive project to date.

The reason I went with a ProCharger centrifugal supercharger is because I feel its the best fit for my street car. They generate the lowest amount of heat, it fits under the hood, great customer service and they have a self contained oil system(no oil lines). Those are just a few advantages of running a Procharger. I also want to do most of the work my self minus the tuning. I picked these parts for ease of installation(hopefully).

Used Parts: sourced local
$1000 Procharger - P1SC - 3.6" pulley(Shooting for 10PSI in the long run. This 3.6" pulley should get me 5-7PSI initially)
$ 750 "hurricane" LT headers
$ 400 Procharger intercooler - vertical flow 31"x13"x3"
$ 300 Procharger Big Race Valve - 2lb or 3lb spring
$ 50 Apexi Neo -Piggy Back ECU
New parts:
$ 205 "Fish Bracket" 1uzfe supercharger mount- SupraStore
$ ??? Rx7 FC Fuel Injectors - 550cc - Ebay
$ 110 Walbro 255 fuel pump - Undecided - Opinions?
$ 300 Aluminum Radiator
$ 300 misc-belts,battery, ect...
$ 500 DYNO tune

I'll probably source 3" piping and fasteners locally and piece together my own plumbing. From what I've seen, I think I'll have to cut a hole in the front driver side frame rail to run the inlet to my intercooler to get it to sit right in the front bumper vent.

This is just a basic run down of my setup. Let me know what you guys think...
Attached Thumbnails Procharged 92 sc400 -Old Gold-build-1.jpg   Procharged 92 sc400 -Old Gold-fullsizerender-3-.jpg  

Last edited by GhostDog88; 04-27-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 12:52 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Moved your thread to the right sub-forum

Welcome to Clublexus and Good Luck with your project .

Last edited by gerrb; 04-01-17 at 01:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GhostDog88 (04-01-17)
Old 03-31-17, 08:07 PM
GhostDog88
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kitabel
You should start thinking about using a stronger automatic transmission (PG, TH400, or 4L80E if you need to keep O/D), the A341E isn't really up to it. All of them $$$, most require surgery to the tunnel, mod driveshaft, new X-member, etc. My 2JZ just got a new ATF A340E for $$$ so I'm safe for a while with 520 HP.

How thick is that bracket? A major failure of ATI on V8 apps has been that the brackets align OK, adjust OK, but are too thin to handle much belt torque, and bend in the middle. The cure has generally been to add a "doubler plate" on top of the bracket at its weakest point, and just 8mm bolt them together. In some cases, just a thick rib running across the flexible part is enough. No big $$$ and can be hand made with a hacksaw out of 6061 plate (eBay etc.). The key is to find one with minor machine cuts, threaded, holes, etc. that don't affect you and you get it for about the scrap price per pound.

You already have LSD?
I have not given much thought to the transmission. How much can the A341e handle? I plan to swap to a manual box(CD009?) down the road but unfortunately I have to take it one tax return at a time haha. I'm waiting on the bracket in the mail from supra store, I'll measure once its here. I was hoping it would be reliable out of the box. I have a buddy that works at a machine shop. I can source some scrap from there if I need a brace.

No I do not have LSD. I've not read up on rear end options. I do believe the Mk3 rear end is a direct swap? Are there better options? I'm hoping to make 400+ hp at the wheels at 10psi but only run 5-7PSI initially. How much work will the rear end need to handle the abuse? I baby my cars, maybe 2 hard pulls a week- if that. The SC4 is not my daily driver. Do you have any experience with the re-worked torque converter from Lextreme?

Great info thanks man.
Old 04-01-17, 10:51 AM
GhostDog88
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kitabel
Just a guess: 400 hp will be safe if used sparingly, watch your fluid temperature.

I have an SC300 with the same differential, it's the very common 200mm ring gear from the Mark IV, GS, LS etc. It was used in the Supra TT automatic with no problems, the only bigger diff that fits is the Supra TT 6MT only with 220mm ring gear, very $$$.

Looking at the bracket, I see where the "fish" name comes from. The 2 ears on the left attach to the engine or an engine bracket, and position the blower head unit to the right with the big oval hole.
The narrow section connecting the "tail" (engine side) with the "head" (blower side) is where it will bend. There may be important components in that area requiring those big cut-outs, or it may just be weight reduction. I suggest the total thickness at this narrow point be no less than 1/2". Here's the general idea.
So correct me if im misunderstanding...the same diff was used in the sc300 mk3 gs and LS? are all of those LSD? Whats my cheapest option that will manage a decent amount of power?
I'll brace it just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by GhostDog88; 04-01-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-01-17, 07:45 PM
GhostDog88
Driver School Candidate

I understand the concept of LSD I Just dont want to chew thru the gears is why I ask.
Old 04-02-17, 02:41 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This I gotta see...
Old 04-03-17, 11:07 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting. Looks like you've got most of your ducks in a row.

Good luck and looking forward to updates along with your experience on the setup.
The following users liked this post:
GhostDog88 (04-10-17)
Old 04-27-17, 01:56 PM
GhostDog88
Driver School Candidate

A few updates...
Dual Wideband & Apexi AFC Neo

Aluminum Radiator - before & after $296 -About 3" thick includes trans cooler- Had to cut the bracket that holds the PS reservoir and the Battery Tray.

Fish Bracket- Waited a Month for this thing...

Currently -Stock Exhaust manifolds & Cats -test pipe to OBX cans

"Hurricane" LT headers- Used $750 shipped

Last edited by GhostDog88; 04-27-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 10:31 PM
DayMadden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you have the measurements for the bracket or would mind getting them for me ? I want to run this set up too.
Old 04-30-17, 10:27 AM
UZPWRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digging the setup

Couple questions...

1. How you liking the AFC Neo, have you been able to play around with it?

2. I NEEDZ that radiator, where did you buy?!?!?!

3. Have you installed the LT's? I've 'heard/read' that there are issues installing Hurricane Headers due to the fact they're designed for the steering rack on the RHD Soarers...

Lastly, not a question, but a suggestion...you should look into "shimming" the accumulators for the trans.

Here's a link regarding the shimming of accumulators...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ers-take-a-nap)
Old 05-06-17, 10:42 AM
GhostDog88
Driver School Candidate

UZPWRD

1. Have not played with the AFC neo much. Conserving miles until PC goes on.
2. Radiator - winner_racing_spares(ebay)-stocked in NC, WIN for me
3. I have heard of issues with LHD cars and these LT headers. I've talked to a few guys that said they were able to fit these in LHD cars from under the car while on jackstands. I'll have to drop the steering shaft for installation. The guy I bought these from claims he had them made in Australia for this LHD sc400 coated and shipped to TN. He also said he had them installed on his LHD sc400...we will see
Old 05-08-17, 01:49 PM
UZPWRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhostDog88
UZPWRD

1. Have not played with the AFC neo much. Conserving miles until PC goes on.
2. Radiator - winner_racing_spares(ebay)-stocked in NC, WIN for me
3. I have heard of issues with LHD cars and these LT headers. I've talked to a few guys that said they were able to fit these in LHD cars from under the car while on jackstands. I'll have to drop the steering shaft for installation. The guy I bought these from claims he had them made in Australia for this LHD sc400 coated and shipped to TN. He also said he had them installed on his LHD sc400...we will see

Interesting....I am curious to the results!

Quick Reply: Procharged 92 sc400 -Old Gold