Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Project Osaka: 12' SFP on Red

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 02:14 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Yeah I wish Lexus offered some sort of Individual program or something, these cars would look great in an assortment of colors.
I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled, looking to get out there in the community for sure. Is there an FB group for all the SoCal guys? Or should I just refer to the regional forum on here?
Most of the meets are posted on the forums here. There are some FB users here, but I think it's more for feedback and posting content that may not be suitable for an open audience. I know a few IS F based groups are for closed members, but nothing really locally for IS F specific members around So Cal. Definitely keep a lookout for a track meet up. Not a lot want to track here, but for those that do, it'll be a treat to cluster us all together and learn from one another in the process.

And I agree on the colors. I love seeing an IS F whenever they're on the road, but the color palette was far too conservative. Seeing some owners wrap their cars different colors actually makes me appreciate the car more for its lines and distinct look.
Old 04-23-17, 12:32 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely stay up to date on those forums then as I'd like to get out there and hang with everyone in the F community. Definitely up for track days too.

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Most of the meets are posted on the forums here. There are some FB users here, but I think it's more for feedback and posting content that may not be suitable for an open audience. I know a few IS F based groups are for closed members, but nothing really locally for IS F specific members around So Cal. Definitely keep a lookout for a track meet up. Not a lot want to track here, but for those that do, it'll be a treat to cluster us all together and learn from one another in the process.

And I agree on the colors. I love seeing an IS F whenever they're on the road, but the color palette was far too conservative. Seeing some owners wrap their cars different colors actually makes me appreciate the car more for its lines and distinct look.
Old 04-23-17, 11:05 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

April 22nd, 2017
Finally was able to take some real pictures since my new camera came in. Couple shots of the interior as requested and a shot of the no sunroof

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 04-23-17 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lets Drive (04-24-17)
Old 04-23-17, 04:25 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Super clean F and outstanding pics!! Good location and backgrounds. And a other shout out for my favorite color combo!!

V.
Old 04-24-17, 12:41 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Thank you so much! I haven't even broken out my lighting equipment yet and really gone to town but rest assured there will be many more photos

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Super clean F and outstanding pics!! Good location and backgrounds. And a other shout out for my favorite color combo!!

V.
Old 04-24-17, 12:45 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

April 23rd, 2017

I finally got around to putting in the LED bulbs and Programmable Flasher Box. Fortunately my hands and forearm were small enough to where I didn't need to take off the front bumper to get to the bulb carrier. It did take one hand per light though and a lot of patience, but definitely faster than taking off the bumper.

The one thing I LOVE about this box is it has a one touch blink ability. You can tap the stalk and it will blink 3-5 times depending on what you set - great for changing lanes whereas before you had to hold the stalk if you wanted it on for a short period of time.

Here's a video I made of the comparison between the halogen bulbs and the LEDs + Flash Box. Right now the Flash Box is programmed to do the emergency strobe but can be put to the normal hazard pattern:

The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (05-12-17)
Old 04-25-17, 01:12 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

April 25th, 2017
Stock weight and one week driving impressions:

Today I dropped back by EAS in Anaheim to get the weight of the car before I start doing some major mods to it. The only things that aren't stock on the car are the Diode Dynamics SmartTap, and the 4 7440 LED bulbs I replaced. I doubt there was any weight gained or lost between these parts.

Here are the specs of the car and some information:
2012 Lexus IS-F
Nav
Parking Sensors
NO Sunroof
All floor mats, car manual, spare and jack in the car.
Full tank of gas.

The car came out to be at 3796 lbs.
I'm not going to lie I was expecting it to be lower but after seeing others' weights I was somewhat satisfied.
Without gas the car would be at 3694.6 lbs which isn't too bad when realizing it has a massive V8 up front (as seen by the weight distribution).

After owning the car for a week and putting 1000 miles on it, I've come to love it more than I thought I would. The car sits right between the E60 M5 and E92 M3 for me: quick and zippy but extremely comfortable and can be driven long distances. The best of both worlds.
The motor is very capable from what I can tell, but it's begging for a better header / exhaust system.
The 8 speed is a hit and miss for me. I love the 8 gears and how 8th is truly an overdrive gear. Very cool to be going 80 and be around 2000 rpms BUT, the delay in the paddle shifting at low and medium speeds is a bit disappointing coming from SMG. Even at high speeds trying to go from 8 to 4 the system feels confused and it's trying to catch up rather than just shifting.
With all that said, I can't wait for many more years and miles of ownership. Now I can start the mods since I have the baselines I need

Last edited by JohnMorgan; 04-25-17 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 02:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

That's what mine weighed with everything (spare, jack, owner's manual,etc) and 1/4 tank of fuel. Sunroof model. I suspect mine would weigh 3814 with a full tank of gas. Another non-sunroof owner posted his weight, and it's very close to yours:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-today-2.html
Old 04-25-17, 02:33 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Ha! I was actually just going through that thread and saw your weight. How did Lexus come up with 3780 for their curb weight?
Also is it safe to say the sunroof adds 22 pounds? Based on you having 1/4th tank of gas (25.35 lbs) and me having a full tank (101.6 lbs), if I had 1/4th tank I would weigh 3720 lbs, 22 less than yours with the sunroof.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

That's what mine weighed with everything (spare, jack, owner's manual,etc) and 1/4 tank of fuel. Sunroof model. I suspect mine would weigh 3814 with a full tank of gas. Another non-sunroof owner posted his weight, and it's very close to yours:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...f-today-2.html
Old 04-25-17, 02:35 PM
Bajanguy1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is one sexy *** F.
Old 04-26-17, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Ha! I was actually just going through that thread and saw your weight. How did Lexus come up with 3780 for their curb weight?
Also is it safe to say the sunroof adds 22 pounds? Based on you having 1/4th tank of gas (25.35 lbs) and me having a full tank (101.6 lbs), if I had 1/4th tank I would weigh 3720 lbs, 22 less than yours with the sunroof.
Sounds possible. I would expect it to weight even more, but the difference could be 22 pounds. Of course it's in the worst possible place too...
Old 04-27-17, 09:36 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bajanguy1
That is one sexy *** F.
Wish there was more weight data out there on our cars (more individuals weighing theirs). Albeit the M3 is a different car there's supposedly a 45 lb difference between their sunroof and carbon roof. If my roof is an alloy as indicated by a picture that's somewhere on this forum instead of steel, I think it's plausible that the sunroof adds 30-37 lbs. Without more data we'll never know though.

Sounds possible. I would expect it to weight even more, but the difference could be 22 pounds. Of course it's in the worst possible place too...
Old 04-27-17, 04:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Thank you!

Wish there was more weight data out there on our cars (more individuals weighing theirs). Albeit the M3 is a different car there's supposedly a 45 lb difference between their sunroof and carbon roof. If my roof is an alloy as indicated by a picture that's somewhere on this forum instead of steel, I think it's plausible that the sunroof adds 30-37 lbs. Without more data we'll never know though.
No, your roof is not aluminum. It is steel. That thread is misleading, and unless I am mistaken, I posted in that thread there is nothing to support the roof being aluminum. Easy to check - take out a magnet and watch it stick to the roof.
Old 05-06-17, 11:49 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

It certainly is steel. That graphic Lexus has certainly is misleading.

No, your roof is not aluminum. It is steel. That thread is misleading, and unless I am mistaken, I posted in that thread there is nothing to support the roof being aluminum. Easy to check - take out a magnet and watch it stick to the roof.
Old 05-07-17, 12:03 AM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

May 6th, 2017
HPS Intake Elbow Installed

I decided I'd start with basic and easy-to-install power mods on the F. The HPS elbow made sense to me since it gets rid of the accordion nature of the stock intake elbow while not being as prone to heat soak as an aluminum one (I know, air is going through so fast heat soak probably doesn't matter but to me, it does).

Initial reaction to opening the package was "wow" this is a well-manufactured piece. Upon further inspection I was more meh about it as it wasn't exactly the cleanest cuts on the inside where the hoses attach (see in picture below). I picked up a Rubbermaid packing weight so I can document all the mods and their weights since I have a baseline weight now. The stock sleeve and HPS weigh exactly the same so nothing gained or lost in that department.

First impressions after driving it a bit at WOT is "oh. my. goodness". The stock intake was already loud but now with the HPS the noise is even more visceral (although I don't have the decibel data to back that statement up.) The car feels quicker but as we all know that can be a placebo effect. HPS claims a +4.6 Whp, +7.2 Ft/lbs increase based on Apexi's dyno. I will be dynoing again to confirm these numbers.

For bling and even more heat dissipation I'm debating getting some gold foil and wrapping the elbow but, I'll just enjoy the OEM-looking black for now.

Now for the pictures:

As you can see its not exactly flush with the inside where the tubes go in.

Great looking fittings.

Stock and HPS both weigh 1.5 lbs.

Before:

After:

Quick Reply: Project Osaka: 12' SFP on Red