Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

Aspect's 07 IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 05:58 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I mean it def looks like it could be pressed back in, but I've already ordered the part. I'll ask the shop about it. Anyways, lesson learned... even if a road looks like it's done construction - stay away for a season if possible

Last edited by Aspect; 08-20-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 07:44 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Why do you say its not worth the hassle? I'm not saying I have the right tools but once you have them, they pop out, and press in pretty quickly.

I can't believe one failed in 2 years. Tough roads!!! From the old frame shop days I learned how to pop out the worst of the worst but those were usually lowers and with spring pushing down its a lot easier than pulling an upper arm just to put it back.
If you can minimize flex and get direct force applied, work moves pretty quickly.

Good luck Aspect...
Yeah with the right tools it could be done. For someone that does it on a daily basis it could be a piece of cake.

I had trouble getting the C clip back on. As it requires a special retainer pliers I didn't have. Plus it's a crappy design that as you see below. Aspects ball joint separated from that area. I bought a beefed up retaining ring from McMaster-carr. Even then I can't guarantee it will not separate during a hard blow due to a pot hole.

In the end even for me it was a tedious process. Even putting on the boot was a PITA trying not to tear it.

I have a spare upper arm now. Eventually I will rebuild it with a press fit again. I'll have time to play with it. Rather then do it later when the car needs to be down for a day, or so trying to fix it.
Old 08-20-19, 09:14 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Seeing his picture now, the joint didn't fail rather the fit. So think about this: the upper A arm has nearly no mass yet the velocity of the a arm going up was so swift it could not take the arm with it and separated. That must have been one heck of a jolt. A better clip is a must or fab a clamp and bolts. Or tack weld it.

Aspect, you might want to check the trueness of your wheel.
Old 08-20-19, 10:20 AM
Aspect
Racer

Seeing his picture now, the joint didn't fail rather the fit. So think about this: the upper A arm has nearly no mass yet the velocity of the a arm going up was so swift it could not take the arm with it and separated. That must have been one heck of a jolt. A better clip is a must or fab a clamp and bolts. Or tack weld it.

Aspect, you might want to check the trueness of your wheel.
My Enkeis have seen a lot of bumps and are still pretty good. Got them straightened over a year ago when I got them refinished. Planning on buying a new set next year so I'm not too worried
Old 08-20-19, 02:34 PM
Aspect
Racer

yeah so looks like it completely unseated. I'll just have to be careful in the future else I'll never get my new mods T.T
Old 08-20-19, 08:30 PM
Aspect
Racer

Well on a positive note, I got something in the mail today I've always been interested in the artisan spirits pillar trims but didn't want to shell out the money, so fast forward a couple years now I got these carbon fiber overlays to stick on - carbon layer with double sided tape on the back - not wrap.

I know some people here might not be the biggest fan considering there was at least one other member who was doing a lot of carbon fibre everything on his ride but I'm liking it right now, regardless if it's a little bit ricey.

I swear it looks more subtle than in the direct light like in this photo, but it was pretty dark in my garage
Old 08-21-19, 07:42 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect

yeah so looks like it completely unseated. I'll just have to be careful in the future else I'll never get my new mods T.T

So whats the plan?

Replace arm asym? Tack weld? LocTite bearing and sleeve? Did I say that?
Old 08-21-19, 08:02 PM
Aspect
Racer

So whats the plan?

Replace arm asym? Tack weld? LocTite bearing and sleeve? Did I say that?
Oh I guess I wasn't clear, I replaced the arm. Just took a pic of the aftermath for CL
Old 10-12-19, 04:00 PM
Aspect
Racer

Default Startup Rattle

Well it's now been a little while since I've had my midpipe and I started developing a start-up rattle that was so bad my coworkers said my car sounded like ******. Also developed a bad dash rattle around 1500 rpm.

Seems like the heat shields for my cat rusted off their perch and were resting on my midpipe. Got them removed and no more noises or rattles!

I might have one more thing planned for the end of this year but I'm waiting for black Friday
Old 12-03-19, 08:55 AM
Aspect
Racer

22 more days until I reach the 4 year ownership mark for the IS250. I haven't updated my build page in a while because I think I'm done with it. Currently in the market for a newer car. With the possibility of needing to fix up brake lines, another possible CV axle, and wheel bearings as well as having no AC and no e-brake atm. I think it's a good time to trade up instead of putting more money into the ride.

Currently looking at a 13-15 GS350 F sport(preferrably). Might want to try out more of a luxury cruiser with a bit of sport on the side this time. Maybe with some VIP elements?
Old 12-04-19, 11:51 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
22 more days until I reach the 4 year ownership mark for the IS250. I haven't updated my build page in a while because I think I'm done with it. Currently in the market for a newer car. With the possibility of needing to fix up brake lines, another possible CV axle, and wheel bearings as well as having no AC and no e-brake atm. I think it's a good time to trade up instead of putting more money into the ride.

Currently looking at a 13-15 GS350 F sport(preferrably). Might want to try out more of a luxury cruiser with a bit of sport on the side this time. Maybe with some VIP elements?
I had an old GS400 it was way roomier than the IS. I think the GS now are way more roomier than before. Either way it's a Lexus with a reliable engine.
The following users liked this post:
Aspect (12-04-19)
Old 12-04-19, 02:54 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I had an old GS400 it was way roomier than the IS. I think the GS now are way more roomier than before. Either way it's a Lexus with a reliable engine.
Yeah, the extra room is nice when I have friends and family in the car with me or just for road tripping. It's definitely faster but it's so comfortable and quiet that it barely seems so. I'm definitely attracted by the reliable 350 powertrain.
Old 01-28-20, 06:02 PM
Aspect
Racer

Default Still here, winter update

Hey CL, just wanted to update the thread a bit since nothing much has been added. So, I suffered some winter driving casualties. I've lost my front lip in a snow storm as well as half of the stock oem under lip and I've chipped a piece off my side skirt extension when it fell off and scraped along the road for a couple Km.

On the maintenance side of things, I've replaced my rear brake hard lines as they were starting to look very corroded.

I guess I see the results of seized calipers... I gotta upgrade these calipers and fix this problem once and for all in a couple of months.

Although I drive an automatic, I want everything on my car to work - so I'm going to replace the e-brake shoes and mechanisms this week as I had my old e-brake setup ripped out because it was crumbling into rusty pieces.

New hardline installed and the brakes were bled. Somehow my brakes feel better now after the bleed, but it's only a temporary fix for now.

Last edited by Aspect; 01-28-20 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-28-20, 06:20 PM
Aspect
Racer

Quick side note on the car search. I've abandoned the idea of a GS350, both regular and F sport variants. I test drove the F sport about a month ago and I can't say I can echo the great reviews like from Johnny Lieberman of Motortrend who have praised the chassis and dynamics. Even in Sport+ mode, it was still very much a boat, albeit with slightly heavier steering and better throttle response. It does look like a great car and would be great to cruise around in, it's not the car I thought I wanted.

So now I'm jumping from one spectrum to another in looking for a reliable RWD Japanese sports car. It seems like the only reliable one in the segment is the Mazda Miata MX-5, I'm particularly looking for an 2009+ NC with the sports package suspension and LSD.

A 370Z and Subaru BRZ were on the list of contenders but I wasn't a fan of their flaws. The 370z, although it has a great reliable 3.7L V6 that makes like 330 hp, has transmission issues with the clutch master cylinder/CSC problems as well as fuel starvation on high G corners and the fuel gauge isn't accurate because the pump tends to disintegrate. I'm not going to be tracking my car, but having a sports car with these performance issues makes me question the engineering behind it.

I'm not a fan of the BRZ because I don't think I could live with the infamous torque dip, I know you can fix it with headers and a tune, but why would I have to fix it in the first place? Not sure what the engineers were thinking for this either. Also I'm really not a fan of the exhaust note, even with an exhaust system it still sounds kind of bad imo. The head gasket issues aren't very encouraging either.
Old 01-29-20, 09:15 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Would a used GS-F be out of the budget range? I believe the GS-F would be the replacement to my IS350 when it finally gives up.

Quick Reply: Aspect's 07 IS250 AWD