Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

FSport's IS-350 running list of service & maintenance DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 07:44 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Oh noz, blue lights!

Hope that exhaust ordeal comes out in your favor.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (12-08-20)
Old 12-08-20, 08:48 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Oh noz, blue lights!

Hope that exhaust ordeal comes out in your favor.
Ya, let's just say the locals became more reasonable. Still stupid prices for an exhaust note.

This AM the dash lit up with yellow trac light and the stupid Low Washer Fluid warning Triangle. At least it doesn't make me lift anymore like the first few times it went off under max g-force! Still a WTF were they thinking, rigging it instant like that. Hell, even the moon roof open is post shut down. I give them a fail for blaring the red triangle on this one...
Old 12-08-20, 04:01 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
But not all attention is bad, right? I hope not!
It's been all positive attention for me and my F-Sport Exhaust. After so many years, people still compliment the way the exhaust sounds. Funny story, I had my car in the driveway and had let my son sit in the driver seat with the engine on so he could get a feel of being a driver while the car was in park. He incidentally decided to step on the gas and revved the IS350 up to redline. Many of my neighbors came out of their homes and when I was about to apologize for the excessive noise, they were like "Holy cow! That sounded awesome!" Even my neighbor who builds tuner cars thought it sounded like an exotic.

This old video from The Straight Pipes sealed the deal for me :

​​

Last edited by redspencer; 12-09-20 at 12:32 PM.
2013FSport (12-08-20)
Old 12-12-20, 03:22 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
It's been all positive attention for me and my F-Sport Exhaust. After so many years, people still compliment the way the exhaust sounds. Funny story, I had my car in the driveway and had let my son sit in the driver seat with the engine on so he could get a feel of being a driver while the car was in park. He incidentally decided to step on the gas and revved the IS350 up to redline. Many of my neighbors came out of their homes and when I was about to apologize for the excessive noise, they were like "Holy cow! That sounded awesome!" Even my neighbor who builds tuner cars thought it sounded like an exotic.

This old video from The Straight Pipes sealed the deal for me :

https://youtu.be/-2XNi9YP8eM
​​
OK, its done deal. Exhaust is on. After 3 years I need to adapt to new sounds! It took like 45min. Pretty easy install.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
FSportBill (12-15-20), kenji211 (12-17-20), redspencer (12-19-20)
Old 12-14-20, 12:22 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Something interesting happened last night, I stumbled upon Audi S5 in play mode and 3 out 3 hole shots the 350 not only held its own, but was car length ahead when I lifted at ~70mph... Mind you it was damp and traction was an issue, perhaps they were being easy on it for that reason? This guy seemed to be a play to win or get a ticket type, so I lifted and let him go...

That said, I do believe the axle-back helped the 350 breathe a little better as it seemed more happy than usual and broke the tires free making me miss a shift and bounce it off the rev limiter, which I try to avoid at all costs (7,200 ++). Here is a six second MP3 hosted on Soundcloud, I had to lift going into corner as the tail was loose.
I think I'm happy. It certainly sounds good when you drop gears and it works in the 5K up range.

I'll see if I can grab some other interior audio as I'm a ride along or drive by type. Those static parking lot rev's don't paint much of a picture.

Never mind - apparently this site blocks sound cloud dot com
A search for this clip should do it though. "20201214f-sportexhaust"

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-14-20 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Blocked soundcloud.com Why?
Old 12-15-20, 12:33 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Something interesting happened last night, I stumbled upon Audi S5 in play mode and 3 out 3 hole shots the 350 not only held its own, but was car length ahead when I lifted at ~70mph... Mind you it was damp and traction was an issue, perhaps they were being easy on it for that reason? This guy seemed to be a play to win or get a ticket type, so I lifted and let him go...

That said, I do believe the axle-back helped the 350 breathe a little better as it seemed more happy than usual and broke the tires free making me miss a shift and bounce it off the rev limiter, which I try to avoid at all costs (7,200 ++). Here is a six second MP3 hosted on Soundcloud, I had to lift going into corner as the tail was loose. IS-350 F-Sport Axle-back MP3 clip I think I'm happy. It certainly sounds good when you drop gears and it works in the 5K up range.

I'll see if I can grab some other interior audio as I'm a ride along or drive by type. Those static parking lot rev's don't paint much of a picture.

I agree with the exhaust it help it breathe. The other day I put my stock intake pipe on just to see the difference as well. Well I can tell you the bigger aftermarket HPS intake pipe works too. It help my car not feel like it's choking at higher speeds.
2013FSport (12-15-20)
Old 12-17-20, 11:36 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

That said, I do believe the axle-back helped the 350 breathe a little better as it seemed more happy than usual and broke the tires free making me miss a shift and bounce it off the rev limiter, which I try to avoid at all costs (7,200 ++). Here is a six second MP3 hosted on Soundcloud, I had to lift going into corner as the tail was loose.
IS-350 F-Sport Axle-back MP3 clip I think I'm happy. It certainly sounds good when you drop gears and it works in the 5K up range.

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I agree with the exhaust it help it breathe. The other day I put my stock intake pipe on just to see the difference as well. Well I can tell you the bigger aftermarket HPS intake pipe works too. It help my car not feel like it's choking at higher speeds.
I came here to write something else and noticed that when you quoted my post, the soundcloud link is there and working but not in my original post. Well, not on my Win10 laptop or Android phone using chrome.

Just looking at the mutilation done to the OEM exhaust past the axle, I always thought it to be the bottle neck and installing the glorified F-Sport hardware proves that. When it's up in RPM it is definitely more responsive and must be making a wee bit more torque as the tires break free at places they are not known to do so. All the more reason to the LSD installed.
AMIRZA786 (12-21-20)
Old 12-17-20, 11:37 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

For anyone swapping bulbs in their lighting system from one type to another PIAA has a nice page listing some details about the Halogen bulbs. Take a look here.
https://www.piaa.com/headlight-and-fog-light-bulb-cross-reference-guide.aspx
headlight-and-fog-light-bulb-cross-reference-guide

Tags: #9005, #9006, #H3, #H4, #H11, #H16, #HB3, #HB4.

#2ISElectrical, #2ISLighting
Old 12-19-20, 11:23 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I am enjoying the sound of the new exhaust. Certainly not to loud, it doesn't drone, and sounds like music at RPM.

Here are a couple of quick tips for removing the old system from the rubber hangers.

Clean the grime off the barb securing the rubber hanger. I would not recommend petroleum based products but a little lube on the barb helps a lot. A silicone spray is good choice, spit will do the trick too. Petroleum will degrade the rubber. Thoroughly clean it off if reusing the rubber hangers.

Forward Hangers:
Place an easy to remove support under the pipe and remove the spring clamps.
Grab two wrenches and shove the open end on to the metal shaft and force/pry the rubber hanger over the metal barb. When out of travel, force a second wrench in between the first wrench and the pipe. Spread the wrenches apart until the rubber pops off the stopper.

Muffler hangers:
Same as above. Clean and lubricate the round barbs. Place supports under each muffler (jack stands work well).
Grab a 2"x2" about 3' long. Pry/force the rubber hangers over the barb stops. These although crowded and hidden, allow use of the mufflers to pry from. Use it to your advantage.

That's about it. Lower each muffler down and remove support up front. An awkward 1 person job but very doable.

Install is straight forward for those in a rust free place, and should take 45 min or so...

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-19-20 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-19-20, 12:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Red face #lsd

These are for the RWD 2GR-FSE, GSE21L-AETLHA, A/TM: B06A/A760E

For kicks I measured the input shaft rotational torque using an old beam style torque wrench. Maybe it's the metal shavings that went through the bone yard diff or maybe its just loose, but there is nearly Zero preload on the pinion and carrier bearings, not to mention the drag of the front pinion seal.

In the chart above it lists total preload as 14 - 23 in/lbs of torque for the 4 bearings and seal. It has 3.5"/lbs in motion and 4.5"/lbs to move it from a stop. THAT IS LOW when you think about full throttle launches, and the pinion and ring gear deflecting away from each other and messing up the gear contact patch.

The one in the 350 now maintains a temperature of 100 deg F after a 30 minute drive at ambient temps. This also implies the bearing preload is pretty low. When higher, they make heat.

PS - a 1-3/8" socket fits the nut.
Old 12-21-20, 03:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Before doing a single modification, I've beaten the following cars from a dig (most were freeway on ramps that lead to a single lane or from red light to red light):

Infinity G35, 6 speed manual
Audi A4 2.0t
VW GTI
BMW 3 Series
Subaru WRX
10th Gen Honda Accord Sport 2.0t
8th or 9th Gen Honda Accord Sport V6
Hyundai Veloster N (6 speed manual, turquoise blue)

The Veloster N is an interesting story. I was taking my son to school (pre-pandemic), and he jumped the signal getting on the freeway when my signal light was green. I floored it, shot past him and took the lane before it ended into one lane with plenty of room to spare. He was definitely gunning to get on before me, but that ended in a fail. He happened to get off the same exit as me and didn't make eye contact when he was next to me. With the recent addition of an F-Sport intake, I feel that I have a little bit more power. Next year I'll probably buy the RR Racing tune for 15 additional horses.

I have a friend in Southern Cal who wants to do a canyon run with me in his Type R (2019). We were supposed to meet up this Christmas holiday, but unfortunately with COVID, my trip to SoCal is not happening
2013FSport (12-21-20)
Old 12-22-20, 09:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Before doing a single modification, I've beaten the following cars from a dig (most were freeway on ramps that lead to a single lane or from red light to red light):

Infinity G35, 6 speed manual
Audi A4 2.0t
VW GTI
BMW 3 Series
Subaru WRX
10th Gen Honda Accord Sport 2.0t
8th or 9th Gen Honda Accord Sport V6
Hyundai Veloster N (6 speed manual, turquoise blue)

The Veloster N is an interesting story. I was taking my son to school (pre-pandemic), and he jumped the signal getting on the freeway when my signal light was green. I floored it, shot past him and took the lane before it ended into one lane with plenty of room to spare. He was definitely gunning to get on before me, but that ended in a fail. He happened to get off the same exit as me and didn't make eye contact when he was next to me. With the recent addition of an F-Sport intake, I feel that I have a little bit more power. Next year I'll probably buy the RR Racing tune for 15 additional horses.

I have a friend in Southern Cal who wants to do a canyon run with me in his Type R (2019). We were supposed to meet up this Christmas holiday, but unfortunately with COVID, my trip to SoCal is not happening

That's a list you have there. Be safe playing....

And ya, COVID has forever changed us...
Old 12-23-20, 11:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

That's a list you have there. Be safe playing....

And ya, COVID has forever changed us...
Always play it safe. No freeway racing, no racing in traffic. Just a friendly light to light or getting on an on-ramp. I end it quick if I see the speeds are getting excessive. And yeah, COVID has changed things. Haven't seen my 88 year old dad since September, we usually visit him this time of year
2013FSport (12-23-20)
Old 12-30-20, 11:19 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Default Emblems

@FSportBill
FSportBill, any chance you saved a link for the front and rear black emblems applied to your 350?
I'd like some and want to know they will fit and be there right ones.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-20, 08:21 PM
FSportBill
Driver

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

@FSportBill
FSportBill, any chance you saved a link for the front and rear black emblems applied to your 350?
I'd like some and want to know they will fit and be there right ones.

Thanks!
@2013FSport I wish I could help you out but honestly I have no idea.....I went to my body shop guy with a long "grocery list" of wants and desires including basically painting the whole front end (front bumper, hood, right and left front quarter panels), roof and rear spoiler painted gloss black, buff out headlights, new headlight bulbs and new fogs, painted calipers, new grill insert and new emblems (Pretty sure they were from E-Bay)......etc, etc.......so yeah, $4,500 later and it looks like new and the way I wanted it......only reason I bought it was because it's a 350 F-sport in the USB color with no accidents and a clean carfax.....hard to find!........and I only looked so hard for one because I love the way your car looks!

Sun baked IS350 from New Mexico

in the body shop

in the body shop

$4,500 later

looking sweeeeeet!

sexy tips!

2013FSport (04-18-24)

Quick Reply: FSport's IS-350 running list of service & maintenance DIY