Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

FSport's IS-350 running list of service & maintenance DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 04:36 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's a cute piece of snow under your tire! It could be worse. Our San Antonio, TX office has been without power since Monday. A lot of my co-workers in Texas don't have power, running water, and most important...Internet! Grocery stores have long lines. And Texas is supposed to be the largest energy producer in the country...
I've been listening to that. Crazy when you have zero preparedness. Up here there are roofs and trees collapsing. There are areas that are used to it , i.e. trees with only one side from years of torturous high wind and freezing rain that have no more branches to loose while others have never seen the likes of 80mph gusts when covered with 0.5" of ice. That stuff hit new areas and lots damage followed in it's wake. It was 24 hours of terror listening to trees snap, branches bouncing everywhere...

Be strong Texas! Be smart too. People have died here from running ICE gene's indoors. A Sad state knowing invisible gas kills families. Educate those less familiar with hardware like this.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 02-17-21 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-17-21)
Old 02-18-21, 07:30 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Be glad you're not in the Gorge area. My mom in Cascade Locks has been trapped at home under their foot + of snow! Looks beautiful out there though.
2013FSport (02-18-21)
Old 02-19-21, 08:28 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Flashback Friday!

Oh the smell of burning rubber in the afternoon!
The following 4 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (02-19-21), FSportBill (02-20-21), MikeFig82 (03-01-21), redspencer (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:35 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

What times were you pulling with that car at the dragstrip?
The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
2013FSport (02-20-21), AMIRZA786 (02-21-21)
Old 02-20-21, 09:01 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
What times were you pulling with that car at the dragstrip?
It wasn't great, but like the 350 fun! It had 375HP from a 351c.i. V8 into 4spd close ratio, into a 3:50 locker pushing a 4,500 lb vehicle. Dare I say I owned it for 25 years? Lol ..
IIRC it was 13.25 on a good day on narrow tires. The 2IS has a much better weight bias than that beast!
​​​I did some good drifting in that car. It had way more mods than this car... A topic for another day..
That said, Talk about no brakes! One shot from 80mph to zero and it was done. From 100 twice it wouldn't STOP! The 2IS can handle this from far greater reaches repeatedly. 1960's technology vs 40+ years later, a monumental shift in capability!

And here you are with even *more New* than our 2IS!

Cheers and let me say the past was good and educational!!!
redspencer (02-21-21)
Old 02-21-21, 02:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

My father had a 1979 Buick LeSabre with the 350 V8. It was a square box that had zero aero design. It was built in an era when smog and fuel efficiency regulations were tighten the noose, but displacement was still the solution to get big boats like this moving. It was like driving a big couch, hit the gas and nothing but quiet smoothness. Hit it too hard and the rear tires would leave smoke behind. Hit it to hard on a wet road and the back would come loose. The suspension was soft and supple, but go into a turn to fast and it would buckle in protest!

When I was 16 and a half years old the brakes had a problem and my dad took our other car to work. Before he left, he specifically told me not to touch it. At recess time me and a friend got this bright idea to ditch school, go to my house and pick it up. I drove it to school doing burnouts and drifting around corners on the way. When we reached my school, I wanted to show off to my classmates, so I floored it at a right turn, but when I hit the brakes...nothing. I slammed into a parked van in front of the whole school, a recess time!! I panicked and drove the car limping home with a bursted front tire and crashed in drivers side. News spread quickly around the school, faster than any social media platform could have spread it. And this was 1985.

Let's just say that my dad was far from happy. In a way I wish he had pulled out his belt and gave it to me, as his silence towards me for the next 2 weeks was worse than any beating. Oh God, I still cringe when I think about this day...
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
2013FSport (02-21-21), mike33 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 08:06 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My father had a 1979 Buick LeSabre with the 350 V8. It was a square box that had zero aero design. It was built in an era when smog and fuel efficiency regulations were tighten the noose, but displacement was still the solution to get big boats like this moving. It was like driving a big couch, hit the gas and nothing but quiet smoothness. Hit it too hard and the rear tires would leave smoke behind. Hit it to hard on a wet road and the back would come loose. The suspension was soft and supple, but go into a turn to fast and it would buckle in protest!

When I was 16 and a half years old the brakes had a problem and my dad took our other car to work. Before he left, he specifically told me not to touch it. At recess time me and a friend got this bright idea to ditch school, go to my house and pick it up. I drove it to school doing burnouts and drifting around corners on the way. When we reached my school, I wanted to show off to my classmates, so I floored it at a right turn, but when I hit the brakes...nothing. I slammed into a parked van in front of the whole school, a recess time!! I panicked and drove the car limping home with a bursted front tire and crashed in drivers side. News spread quickly around the school, faster than any social media platform could have spread it. And this was 1985.

Let's just say that my dad was far from happy. In a way I wish he had pulled out his belt and gave it to me, as his silence towards me for the next 2 weeks was worse than any beating. Oh God, I still cringe when I think about this day...
Duuuuude... Oh boy! Such a rule breaker! Inserts 'walk of shame'.... mine would say, I'll punish you next week for your crimes today so you could think about it all week. A true mental torture vs the wild mom who beats you on the spot out of anger! Haha! Fortunately I learned early on not be stupid! Compliments of my older sister mischievousness behavior and always being caught.. lol
AMIRZA786 (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21, 10:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Duuuuude... Oh boy! Such a rule breaker! Inserts 'walk of shame'.... mine would say, I'll punish you next week for your crimes today so you could think about it all week. A true mental torture vs the wild mom who beats you on the spot out of anger! Haha! Fortunately I learned early on not be stupid! Compliments of my older sister mischievousness behavior and always being caught.. lol
Unfortunately I was the oldest brother of three (and two sisters) and my role models were Motley Crue, RAT, Black Sabbath, and, I think you get it. My dad was a great role model, but he worked long hours for a defense contractor so was not around to discipline me. My mom tried but handling 3 boys isn't easy and she didn't have the physical power to stop me from doing stupid stuff. Thankfully, I learned my lesson going into my 20's and we (my younger brother and I) put a tight leash on the youngest brother and sister and kept them out of trouble. Because of that they pretty much grew up scar free!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-22-21 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 12:59 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Default She's got the plague!!!

Crazy weather left these ice nipples all over the car this AM. IIRC it sprinkled last night followed by freezing fog throughout the night, then mostly cold clear skies by dawn...

The entertaining side of this were these departing the car at freeway speeds as the body and hood warmed up! The 350 made a mini vortex of ice things in its wake. Which mostly all hit the ground except for a tailgater in a Kia being an idiot (too close, bounced off their hood).

The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (03-15-21), MikeFig82 (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 04:16 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I posted this last year in the detailing section of the forum.

In short I used IPA to soften dried pitch on the passenger seat, and the cloth was un-phased. As a precaution; your results may very but it worked on month old dried pitch.

Tree pitch removal from F-Sport microfiber, anyone??

O/P:
So it's hot out and I parked under fir tree with the windows down and somehow a breeze carried fir pitch into the cars black microfiber seat.

What is the best way to remove this? I'm thinking lacquer thinner test somewhere and see how the color holds up. Its super sticky right now.
TIA
Follow Up:
Some time has passed and honestly I forgot about this post. I used Isopropyl alcohol concentrated on the 3 drops of pitch using white cotton cloth to soak the offending blobs on the seat. I let it soak a minute or two and the cloth transferred no black to the white cloth.
Once soft, I swirled in tiny circles and all three pitch drops came out (about 95%). Mind you these had dried, turned white, been sat on, collecting dust. Figured I had nothing to loose. Again, there was like 1% dye transferred to the white cloth and 5 months later, very minimal trace of pitch left behind.

Based on that, the same passenger seat always had this 1/2" long diagonal shinny streak. So I soaked it too and did micro circles and it's 95% invisible too. As the driver, that shiny streak always caught my eye.

The seats microfiber dye on the 2013 2IS F-Sport held up to Isopropyl ETOH, and Months later it looks fine. Certainly better than furry white crusty spot it was.

As for the picture, this bad is timing as the sun is blasting through the windscreen, but in that path of the sun is the faint outline of pitch (4 mo later). I may soap and water it as some residue remains sticking debris to it. Sugary things do this....

It's 1000x better than it was.
Old 03-16-21, 09:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Crazy weather left these ice nipples all over the car this AM. IIRC it sprinkled last night followed by freezing fog throughout the night, then mostly cold clear skies by dawn...

The entertaining side of this were these departing the car at freeway speeds as the body and hood warmed up! The 350 made a mini vortex of ice things in its wake. Which mostly all hit the ground except for a tailgater in a Kia being an idiot (too close, bounced off their hood).

This is the most we get here when it comes to ice. Maybe 3 or 4 times in the year. Usually gone by 7am

2013FSport (03-21-21)
Old 04-01-21, 04:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Default 2IS A760E Transmission Fluid Change

All, this weekend I performed the long overdue DIY Transmission fluid flush and fill on the A760E RWD trans. This is what I did. This method gets nearly ½ the fluid out in one pass.

Preclude:
Perform this at your own risk. I am not responsible for your health, safety, or that of your vehicle. I am only sharing what I did.

Required items:
Fluid - I used 3 gallons of Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient Synthetic ATF PN# ATL1G-EA
Pan Gasket - new or roll the dice. These can be reused.
Oil Filter
Oil Filter O'ring X2. Buy a spare. These are cheap.
Pan plug washer - optional.
Overflow plug washer - optional.
Fill plug O’ring – optional.

Tools:
Jack, 4 stands, 2"x6" to drive up on so the jack fits under car.
Fluid pump. Harbour Freight Universal ~$7.00 worked great.
Funnels, spare jug, 6 quart drain pan. Measuring cup if your curious.
Brake Cleaner, shop towels.
Flood light.
Temperature check tool – I used the phone App - OBD Fusion with Lexus/Toyota/Scion PID add-on pack and OBDII Elm327 Bluetooth. Load engine coolant and A/T oil temperature. Verify function before fluid change day.
1/4" speed handle, 10mm wobble. Add a spring sleeve if you like.
Power tools are up to you....
10mm socket
14mm socket
22mm socket
Torx bit for overflow.
Ratchets and extensions.

Prep:
Park car over night, don't drive it if you wish to check the fluid level before dumping the fluid.

Action:
Drive car up on 2"x6" boards, set parking brake, turn engine off. Jack safely and support with stands at 4 corners. Make sure car is level. I used the front lower A-arms (snug against tires) and square unibody chassis area at the rear (ahead of sub-frame) placing hardwood between stands and chassis.
** Verify vehicle is stable. **

Gather tools and check fluid level:
Start OBD Fusion App.
Place drain pan under overlfow plug (it's marked), grab ratchet/torx bit, shop towels.
Start engine and phone app. Load Dashboard with temperature readings.
Pull overflow plug and see what happens. Watch as trans oil temp climbs past 100°F. Mine began to trickle right then.
Install overflow plug. Turn engine off.

With warm fuzzy achieved, continue on.

Fluid Dump:
Remove rear most plug, dump fluid. When it stops flowing, start engine and rev to 3,500 RPM twice. Shut engine off. Allow fluid to drain. Install plug.
Remove pan bolts leaving two bolts in the center side by side. Loosen the remaining bolts and smack pan to loosen it. Remove the bolts and lower the pan. Dump oil pan, clean magnets, clean pan and surface of gasket.

Remove oil filter and allow fluid to drain. Install old O'ring on new filter and oil the O'ring.
​​​​​​

Install new filter and evenly seat the filter to the valve-body. Draw the four bolts up evenly and tighten them.
Wipe the transmission pan mount surface free of oil. Wipe pan gasket free of oil. Install oil pan. Snug bolts enough that it won't leak.

Pump in 4 quarts of new fluid. Install fill plug and start engine. My vehicle was securely jacked so I ran it through the gears keeping the speed low (45 MPH), using mostly the lower gears to circulate the fluid. Mind you, you have to disable TRAC or ABS will lock the rear brakes. Also, if equipped with NAV, your car will ford rivers, streams, lakes as it drives away ignoring relevant GPS data.

I ran mine like 10 min. which will elevate the fluid temp to the 175°F range and that will take hours to cool down. I had time so I circulated the oil.

Now repeat above steps. Drain the fluid. Start the engine reving it to 3500 RPM a couple times and kill it. Let it drain, pull the pan, drop the filter, let that drain and clean it all up for a final install with a new gasket. Install new O'ring at this time and draw the filter bolts up evenly so as not to pinch the O’ring and cut it. Clean the both mating surfaces for the gasket (pan and case), install new gasket, install pan. Tighten pan bolts evenly. I used my 1/4" speed handle. Nope no TW as I stop when it feel right.

Fill with 4 quarts and start it, run it through the gears and let it cool. At this time it should take about 1 quart of fluid to get to the overflow point.

Go have a beer as it needs to cool a bit and the rest is easy.

Verify fluid level when the temperature is between 96° and 114°F (36° and 46°C). If no trickle, add fluid. Allow to trickle out and seal it.

That's about it.

#2IS Maintenance
#2IS Fluid Change
The following 5 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (04-01-21), clubfoot (07-10-21), FSportBill (04-02-21), GrizzlyMan (04-03-21), redspencer (04-01-21)
Old 04-02-21, 09:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks for sharing! I did my 70K maintenance yesterday and had the transmission serviced. Way smoother shifts now!
Old 04-03-21, 02:17 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

..... continued.
#2IS Maintenance
#2IS Fluid Change

Here is what went back in. Signature Series Fuel Efficient Synthetic ATF PN# ATL1G-EA.

Some lovely aluminum bits removed from the oil sump. So, even aluminum is heavy enough to stay at rest at the bottom of the pan staying out of circulation.

Overall, the pan was pretty clean, magnets not too fury. Upon completion, the shifts under load take on a more binary feeling, being crisp. When buried, each gear change throws car forward. It feels like it should once again. Only regret is not doing it sooner.

Shown here is Chevy TH350 shift kit spring on a socket.. These work great for keeping your wobble up! Snapper 12pt 10mm 1/4" wobble.

The main thing to share here is don't be afraid. It's not intimidating.

I didn't do an under car screen shot, but here are the gauges loaded for overflow checking using the Fusion App.

H2o temp = 187°F
Trans fluid = 194°F

PS - Make sure this works before crawling under.

As for compressor RPM, I guess I lost boost in 7th gear!

Last edited by 2013FSport; 04-03-21 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 04-13-21, 01:20 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently my new plugs are not flight approved! So, no Thelma and Louis for the 350!

Writing to say this is the first batch of plugs I've opened yet that all had the same gap. It makes me wonder if they are fakes? lol

Less than four years and just over 50,000 miles, it's time to look inside and she how she's burning.

AMIRZA786 (04-13-21)

Quick Reply: FSport's IS-350 running list of service & maintenance DIY