Romanova's 2006 LS430 build/blog

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 03:56 PM
ianmhill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Sent you a PM with price details.
I'm located in Houston... and am looking to have a TB done. Where are you having it done, and how much if you don't mind? Westside Lexus by any chance???
Ian
Old 07-04-18, 04:32 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmhill
I'm located in Houston... and am looking to have a TB done. Where are you having it done, and how much if you don't mind? Westside Lexus by any chance???
Ian
I've used ClearChoice Lexus of the Woodlands several times with good results. https://clearchoicetexas.com/ Timing belt service was about $1200 IIRC. Cheaper than the dealer but more expensive that some indys. ClearChoice does a 2 year parts and labor warranty though, won't find that at most places.
Old 08-04-18, 05:18 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
My drip rails are peeling slightly and it is driving me nuts... it looks so bad. I've got no interest in spending $300 for new ones, so I'm going to have a friend who owns a vinyl shop refit them with new vinyl. I popped the passenger side one off to see what is what... wow. I'm sure most of you have gathered that I'm pretty meticulous about the care and condition of this car. I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled the trim off. DISGUSTING! Dead bugs, tree stuff... just gross. Thankfully none of the clips broke and I'll have it looking immaculate here soon enough.

Going to go with gloss black for the drip rails, which I think will look pretty sharp. Will report back after it's cleaned up and good to go.
For those who are removing the drip rails, use a plastic pry tool on the inside edge, start at the back with even, gentle pressure and out it comes. Just work you way down to the front... piece of cake.

Very nice thread! I,m working on something like that as well.

Can you please explain how you removed that strip? I already tried pulling a bit but it seems connected to the frond window strip and I have some corrosion in the strip as well. Its not so bad that I immediately have to remove them but I definitely want to clean and detail that rail.
Old 08-04-18, 07:46 AM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by NLLex
Very nice thread! I,m working on something like that as well.

Can you please explain how you removed that strip? I already tried pulling a bit but it seems connected to the frond window strip and I have some corrosion in the strip as well. Its not so bad that I immediately have to remove them but I definitely want to clean and detail that rail.
Use a plastic trim removal tool and start at the front. Use even pressure and the strip should pop out of the first clip, then just work your way back. Should be five clips total IIRC. None of mine broke as they are pretty sturdy. GL.
Old 08-04-18, 08:30 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Romonova! Ill do that as soon as possible.
Old 09-15-18, 07:32 AM
Romanova
Racer

No real updates. Haven't driven it much. I'm coming up on one year of ownership and I have only put 2,300 miles on her so far. I had a bunch of expensive plans but now I think I'm just going to leave it as is. I still need to get all four wheels touched up, replace the front and rear door speakers, and replace the rear shocks.

I finally got new plates for it. I'm not sure about the other 49 states, but here in Texas we have something like 75-100 different license plates we can pick from. Being a huge space nerd, I've run this one on most of my vehicles.
Old 09-15-18, 07:49 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've a ringside seat for the Bfr hopper tests off BOCA Chica Beach.

If they go as planned (we're talking elon time here) early next year...

​​​​​​​You can put on a few miles driving down to watch the show. Should be a hoot!
The following users liked this post:
Romanova (09-15-18)
Old 01-22-19, 05:09 PM
Jamblaell
8th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone just starting to learn about these cars, I really enjoyed reading through this thread. Thanks for documenting your experiences.
Old 02-06-19, 09:34 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for being so thorough, good to see people still documenting and maintaining threads!
Old 02-11-19, 08:29 AM
Romanova
Racer

An overdue update.

Changed out the rear sub. Adds a little extra bump but not worth the time or money in my opinion.

Did the front and rear door speakers with new Infiniti speakers. This was worth the time and effort.

Did the rear shocks. Ride is a bit better.

On the horizon for 2019, I got the newer Lexus LCA bushings and will install those next week. I ordered a pair of JDM foglights that have the yellow capsule insert and the secondary bulb. Those should hopefully be here in a few weeks. I went back and forth on what to do for rims and I've decided to go with a set of the BBS rims that were an original Toyota option for the Japanese market. It's pretty difficult to find the right size/offset but I found a pair and will be ordering them soon.

I've been trying to drive the car more often, doing about 60-120 miles a week now. I've also found a top notch detailer in Houston and plan on having him work his magic on the car this spring to get it as perfect as possible.
Will update this when the fogs come in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
rich30769 (02-11-19), Z7USUDRV (05-15-23)
Old 02-11-19, 01:11 PM
kos
Advanced

Are the JDM Fog Lights similar to this link here? https://www.croooober.com/en/item/92...nuine-fog-lamp
Old 02-11-19, 01:22 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kos
Are the JDM Fog Lights similar to this link here? https://www.croooober.com/en/item/92...nuine-fog-lamp
Yes that is them. The can have with either a yellow or clear capsule inside the fog light area and they come with an additional side marker light hole which you need to purchase the harness for and wire into our USDM Lexus
Old 02-11-19, 02:07 PM
kos
Advanced

Originally Posted by onthelo
Yes that is them. The can have with either a yellow or clear capsule inside the fog light area and they come with an additional side marker light hole which you need to purchase the harness for and wire into our USDM Lexus
NICE. That's a pretty cool piece then. Looking forward to seeing the install.
Old 02-11-19, 02:45 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kos
NICE. That's a pretty cool piece then. Looking forward to seeing the install.
Yeah I am excited to see Romanova's install also. I did mine awhile back def. different
Old 02-12-19, 06:43 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
I am also very interested in seeing how this is done, as I am currently also looking for a set of fog lights with the yellow capsule!

Quick Reply: Romanova's 2006 LS430 build/blog