Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2IS owner vehicles

RWH's '10 IS250 AWD Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 08:15 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RWH's '10 IS250 AWD Experiment

owned the 2010 awd since july 1, 2017. first decent platform to work with; coming from: @16 y/o - 1987 BMW 325i RWD convertible auto red with black & @ 17 y/o- 27y/o - 2002 Volvo S60 FWD base auto black on black. BMW was a $$ pit and Volvo was a whale and FWD. So being the car enthusiast that I am, when I purchased the IS, I went crazy with it (and still am). Here's my build, chronologically, so far (FYI, I am not a certified mechanic. but I try ) -->

~brand new

~custom painted grill - cheap DIY, but can make a big difference. easily reversible.

~DIY painted black lip. used rustoleum "peelable" paint. like a smooth flexseal for the most part. didn't quite have the spare funds for an actual lip, so I did what I could:

(actually left the blue painters tape on it for a little while; liked the blue accents

I really liked my old Volvo's color scheme. every car I own(ed) would be black on black if I had my way. so I went with that scheme, despite my IS being BW blue...

~ lightly tinted tails. again, used rustoleum peelable, transparent black tint spray, about 5-6 coats (cant quite remember):
stock, no tint

outside no tint, inside tinted

had a little k&n cone filter on the stock rubber intake tube, but couldn't really think of anything else small, simple and relatively cheap to do to the performance or sound aspect of the car. so an actual mechanic (friend of mine) pointed me in the direction of a cheap welding shop nearby (real hole in the wall place, but cheap and effective!) and just had the resonator and mufflers deleted and replaced with straight pipes all the way back. was waaaay too much. loved it in the beginning (and always on interstates), but the drone at 60+mph and inappropriately loud tones in an otherwise quiet neighborhood caused me to purchase 2 Magnaflow performance(ish) mufflers:

**********************temporary problem posting photos. will finish build write-up and post pics asap (though I have a few in my albums)********************
Old 01-01-18, 08:19 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

END RESULT: customized stock tips to fit to new mufflers
Old 01-01-18, 08:58 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Did H&R sport cup springs (~1.3-1.5" drop), painted roof black, front lip and roof spoiler almost all at once:

stock, pre-install

out with the old
blood, sweat, tears, etc

yellow fogs next (will eventually get new yellow fog complete enclosures, but until then...) went with the ebay pre-cut yellow overlays. simple, but effective and helped to round out the front end:

next, EBC slotted rotors w/ performancy pads and short ram air intake:

(k&n cone not pictured)

most recently, I went with the wald-style trunk spoiler. much larger and dynamic (IMO) than stock lip spoiler. also received a mini rear diffuser ( I already have the larger, more popular rear diffuser, but that'll require professional install) so for now, its installed:

residue
cleaned up, almost

<3

(not fully installed in this picture; just had it taped on so I could take a pic to help choose between the two diffusers)
Lastly, I am expecting a half set of Ichiba V1 20mm spacers for the rears. front isn't too bad, but with the small drop, rear gap between wheel/rim surface and front, inner wheel well is hefty and quite noticeable.
I am also considering painting my rear/lower trunk panel black to match the new spoiler; not the top of the trunk, just that (potentially) removable rear panel. seen it on some old turbo Volvo S70's and mustangs. think it might work here with the color scheme I'm going for... but either way, I like experimenting with that new(ish) "peelable" spray paint. seems to work as it should. so far...

Will post updated/ better quality pictures soon

Thanks for readin'!
Old 01-03-18, 10:13 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

mild update:

mounted temporary mini rear diffuser. 3M doublesided didn't work as I hoped, so I bolted it. in order to fit snug, I had to make it kinda lumpy on the edges. am going back in couple of days to adjust it or lay it out differently.

:::first day I got it, for reference:::
Old 01-04-18, 05:25 AM
Mrfouche
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus looks so good. I am glad I finally found someone actually that has the breakwater blue color. I have so many ideas and was quite sure how it would look so you you kind sir thankyou!
Old 01-04-18, 07:02 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mrfouche
The Lexus looks so good. I am glad I finally found someone actually that has the breakwater blue color. I have so many ideas and was quite sure how it would look so you you kind sir thankyou!
ya man, same problem here. any time I went to get a part or something for the exterior, never was able to find a pic of a modified blue.. so I just said f-it and went for it. considering having the car repainted tho... but not for quite a while
Old 01-06-18, 07:01 PM
Mrfouche
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwhtide
ya man, same problem here. any time I went to get a part or something for the exterior, never was able to find a pic of a modified blue.. so I just said f-it and went for it. considering having the car repainted tho... but not for quite a while
I am in the same boat bro. I think I'm going to do some mods first and I will probably plasti dip it after I get some blemishes on the car now. But after I get those fixed I will go the plasti dipped route but I'm gone have someone add some gloss to the plasti dip give a hint of gloss to it. But I am going to take pics of the progress and make a post for it a long the way
Old 01-09-18, 01:52 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhtide
mild update:

mounted temporary mini rear diffuser. 3M doublesided didn't work as I hoped, so I bolted it. in order to fit snug, I had to make it kinda lumpy on the edges. am going back in couple of days to adjust it or lay it out differently.

:::first day I got it, for reference:::
3M VHB 5952 tape works well.
Old 01-09-18, 02:00 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
3M VHB 5952 tape works well.
I loaded up on the 3m extra strength tape, but the problem I faced was that the underside of the car/bumper where I mounted it isn't quite flat enough to neatly seat the double-sided tape. I may have mounted mine a little far back, but I guess that part is just preferential. the diffuser held long enough for me to throw some bolts in there. makes me feel better too. although I used the exact same 3M tape on the trunk spoiler, and its holding like concrete