Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 08:08 AM
KIKWEAR002
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
haha it's funny, they seem so big but they still look small on such a big car!

Oh ****, I remember that bad boy. I saw it on Craigslist several months ago. Did you buy it from him, or were you the one selling it originally? Very cool car man, congrats!
Yeah it's ok, kinda impulsive buy. Trying to find some new wheels and the transmission is notchy. I was really after a mk3 supra. Emissions gave me a hard time and it took 4 months to jump through the hoops but now it's all good.
Old 03-18-20, 10:18 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

The old Toyota transmissions can all be a little notchy... have you tried a fluid change yet to see if that helps? Super easy on those manuals. That's rough with emissions, but I'm glad to hear you got it through and got it registered ok! Ali is supposed to keep in touch this summer about some Toyota meet ups here in CO. We'll be sure to post up so that we can all get these bad boys together in one place.
Old 03-18-20, 12:27 PM
KIKWEAR002
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I put mt90 in.. costly and made no difference. If I heel toe it shifts ok. I'm going to just get it rebuilt from Driftmotion.

My old supra r154 was great, I would full throttle shift with no clutch and it did not care. Kinda disappointed in this trans being it only has 78k on it.

Keep me updated about the meetup
Old 03-18-20, 01:37 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

There are capable trans/gear shops in town that will work on that transmission and do a nice job for you if you want to save the hassle of sending it in to Driftmotion. However, if you do send it in, their reputation is always stellar.

Most certainly will do! Congrats on the car, hope you can get it to where you want it!
Old 03-23-20, 05:58 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Did a few little things over the weekend to help get her ready for cruising season: ran a filter, check valve, and vacuum line over to the heater control valve so I've got working heat now! Ideal for Colorado spring. Anyone from here knows how great spring nights are with the windows down and the heat on. I also corrected a small coolant leak that had developed on one of the heater hoses. So far, the move I've driven this car and the more the ECU has learned the better it drives! Oddly enough, the EFI relay clicking on/off after turning the key completely went away a week or two ago also. Not sure if that has anything to do with the ECU learning, or the TPS placement being correct now, etc, but it's a relief.

Two small upcoming projects: wire in the relay for the AC call switch (still a little fuzzy here, found the old DIY, but am having a hard time identifying which wires are which), and to replace my power steering return hose to the reservoir. I used some hose I had laying around in my toolbox, which is clearly not oil safe because it is literally sweating oil. Strangest thing lol.

Between working from home, and the city almost being shut down, it's given me plenty of time to tinker. I hope everyone out there is safe and sound wherever you are.

Anyway - happy spring CL!

The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (03-23-20), KahnBB6 (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 03:09 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Glad to hear you're safe over there Rudy. Yeah, gradually most places are shutting down if they haven't already. It's pretty nuts but it's the only way to get through this. Please stay safe and follow all the sanitary guidelines. Same for all my friends here.

Between any remote work from home it has freed up more time at our residences though, hasn't it?

I know about the A/C function custom relay that needs to be installed with Aristo ECUs but never having had to do it myself that's one I'm also fuzzy on. I just recall that it involves a relay circuit that your car technically doesn't have (I think?) and so you just have to build it yourself. But I don't think it's very complicated. Do you still have the DIY thread you looked up?

The TT PS reservoir return hose I think I was able to get some aftermarket hose for. If it's the same diameter as the return hose needed for the SC300 2JZ-GE PS reservoir then you'd want a 3/8" (aka 9.5mm) hose. OEM spec may actually be a perfect 10mm hose but 3/8" hose is what I see repeated on SF. The other hose that goes to the TT PS reservoir is 5/8". I believe any fuel-rated hose in whichever of the two sizes you need will work.

Old 03-24-20, 05:33 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Craig,

Thank you man. All is well here so far, and I hope the same for everyone else. Quite a strange time to be alive isn't it?

Thanks for the input on the hose! I went to Autozone yesterday and was able to get what I need to swap that hose out. As for the A/C relay, I'm referencing this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...problem-3.html

However, I don't know if I'm an idiot, or what, but I can't seem to find an Aristo ECU pinout that matches what these instructions say (down around the middle of that page). I just need to do some digging and figure out what connector is E, and in which direction to count them in to make sure I get the right ones. I did go ahead and buy the relay mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for reading - everyone stay safe out there!
Old 03-24-20, 06:37 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Craig,

Thank you man. All is well here so far, and I hope the same for everyone else. Quite a strange time to be alive isn't it?

Thanks for the input on the hose! I went to Autozone yesterday and was able to get what I need to swap that hose out. As for the A/C relay, I'm referencing this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...problem-3.html

However, I don't know if I'm an idiot, or what, but I can't seem to find an Aristo ECU pinout that matches what these instructions say (down around the middle of that page). I just need to do some digging and figure out what connector is E, and in which direction to count them in to make sure I get the right ones. I did go ahead and buy the relay mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for reading - everyone stay safe out there!

Check out Ali's thread about na-t i think the info is on the first page about the getting the AC to work
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 07:26 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

For non vvti it was just a small relay that goes between the ecu a/c pin and the wire going to it to switch power to ground or was it the other way around lol.
I thought Gerry said something was different about vvti aristo ecu's though, so I am not sure if it is the same on vvti setups.

looking at the pinout it looks similar
http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...ngine%20Wiring
F59 13 ACMG (Airconditioning Magnetic Clutch Relay Trigger Output) : This pin is used to turn the airconditioning magnetic clutch relay ON. ECU control of the airconditiong enables the airconditioning to be turned off during hard acceleration, etc. This pin is Grounded by the ECU as required to turn the airconditioning magnetic clutch relay ON. One side of the airconditioning magnetic clutch relay coil should be wired to this pin and one side of the airconditioning magnetic clutch relay coil should be connected to battery voltage (Ignition switched) and one side of the relay coil connected to this ECU pin.
Old 03-24-20, 07:23 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Ali, thanks for the thoughtful response. I’ll do a little more reading up, perhaps check with Gerry, and see what I can come up with before it starts getting too warm.

In the meantime, I can’t get enough of this thing. Went over to a buddy’s to lend a had on his Ford V6 Miata swap.

Last edited by RudysSC; 03-24-20 at 07:27 PM.
KahnBB6 (03-25-20)
Old 04-06-20, 10:04 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Finally getting a proper alignment today after installing the coil overs and setting my height where I want it. I'm also getting some new rear tires mounted and balanced because, well, I just can't keep back tires on this car since I installed the KAAZ LSD lol.

KahnBB6 (04-06-20)
Old 04-06-20, 01:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Looking really good Rudy! And that late 80's air-cooled 911 on the lift! Is that a Cabrio?

Dialing in your coilovers is always fun to get it just right. And new rear tires, well... just in general our cars when modified and equipped with an LSD have tire wear of around 2:1 in the rear. But that does depend on how you drive it and how much you break loose
Old 04-07-20, 06:04 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

My buddy sent me the picture of the two together and I couldn't help but chuckle!

This car is so fun and easy to drive sideways... I just can't help myself Craig!! To be honest, I'd love to go out and try some open drift days this summer. The open track days don't worry me, but I'm worried about trashing this thing at an open drift day for sure.
Old 04-07-20, 08:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

nice and good progress on your project ... time to enjoy it buddy
Old 04-07-20, 10:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thank you Gerry for all your time helping me, and your willingness to sell me some much-needed parts along the way. I'm loving every minute of owning this car, and the swap has elevated it to another level.

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior