Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 09:01 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

You're a terrible influence Rodger! That thing is a beauty...

I do have some upcoming plans for the ol' Cressida that I'll share as it starts to unfold a little...
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (08-17-20)
Old 08-18-20, 05:53 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

My buddy took a few photos while we were out cruising around the other day. I can't say enough good things about this car and how well it's running right now!

A quick flashback to when I had to replace my rear subframe due a large rust hole we found after purchasing it. It also got the KAAZ 2-way LSD and all poly bushings at this time.

KahnBB6 (08-18-20)
Old 08-23-20, 03:05 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Things have escalated with the Cressida lol. Here's a little teaser...

The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
KahnBB6 (08-29-20), mrmj2u (08-24-20)
Old 08-26-20, 05:13 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC

How do you like the falken FK510? Also, how long have you had them (mileage and time frame)?
Old 08-28-20, 05:50 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

For the money I like them a lot. I haven't put too many miles on them, and to be honest, I end up tearing up rear tires between doing donuts, hitting the track, and silly stuff like that. So they won't last long under any circumstances for me. However, they ride great, are quiet, have a strong and predictable grip. I have no complaints!
Old 08-29-20, 12:48 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Things have escalated with the Cressida lol. Here's a little teaser...

I am excited!!! What, pray tell, will be going into that beautiful Cressida?
Old 08-31-20, 05:35 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

haha Craig you've got a way of making me even more excited! I just purchased a relatively clean, running, and driving LS400 with less than 150k miles on it. It's going to be my donor car which will give it's 1UZ and auto trans (amongst some other things) to give this Cressida a new life as a V8 cruiser! I'm going to try and keep this one as simple and low budget as possible for right now lol.

The Cressida motor is out and the bay has been decreased and power washed. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll pull the LS400 apart, go through the 1UZ and do the usual maintenance items which I already have ordered, and then I hope to have it dropped in and ready to tinker with before it starts getting cold here. I'll be sure to post more pics as I find time to get more work done!
KahnBB6 (08-31-20)
Old 08-31-20, 08:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

For the money I like them a lot. I haven't put too many miles on them, and to be honest, I end up tearing up rear tires between doing donuts, hitting the track, and silly stuff like that. So they won't last long under any circumstances for me. However, they ride great, are quiet, have a strong and predictable grip. I have no complaints!
I'm kind of curious how they are after like 5k miles. A lot of falkens I've owned in the past are great the first like 2k miles or so, then they start getting louder. I have a set of FK510 on my 19" wheels, but I haven't driven on them at all yet. I hardly log any miles on my cars anymore. I live so close to work now, that my cars barely see any love.
Old 09-02-20, 06:29 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I probably won't get to 5k miles on them between track days and fooling around... However, for the money, they do seem to grip well and run quiet for the time being. I'll have them out at HPR on the 17th and will be sure to take pics and take a few notes!
Old 09-02-20, 06:33 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I ran into a strange issue on the SC with the vvti 2jzgte yesterday... It happened intermittently - suddenly my throttle response SUCKED. It felt as if the first quarter to third of my gas pedal travel made absolutely no input to the car and wouldn't accelerate until I put my foot more into it. If I were to push the pedal all the way down the car would accelerate and pull like normal. The car idles fine, feels ok under full throttle, but the part throttle response was almost non-existent. Drove the car back home and it acted totally normal after sitting for an hour.

I'm on my second throttle body, however, since it's so intermittent I don't think it could be a TPS adjustment, but perhaps a failing sensor all together? I've got an extra TPS I could try, but wanted to see if anyone had any better input before I go crazy swapping things.

Any input or advice is always appreciated!
Old 09-02-20, 07:23 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 190 Posts

With the 2jzgte vvt-i, when the TB goes into limp mode you lose the first 75% of your throttle, it will high idle and you only have the last 25% of your throttle (like the pedal pushed to the floor) which seems to mimic what happened to you.

If this happens, and I was stopped i would turn the key on/off very quickly 10x and that would reset the throttle body allowing me to start it up and have control again. Once I changed out my throttle body for one with working sensors I haven't had this issue again. But it would happen quite frequently on my old TB.

It is 100% a failing sensor, in my case it was one of the motors in the throttle body that was dying.

Last edited by joewitafro; 09-02-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 07:58 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Joe,

Thank you for the thoughtful response! I've had to swap out one TB already, and I have a feeling you're dead on with a sensor acting up. Last time, the car would randomly rev to 4k and stay there. I believe this wasn't a failing TPS but perhaps the sensor on the other side (passenger side) of the TB that may have helped. However, thankfully, this time that isn't the case. Just very poor even nonexistent throttle response (again, intermittently) for the first 25% of pedal travel. On the way home, completely fine and didn't act up one bit. I may try to swap my old TPS onto the new TB and see what happens...

I've got a track day coming up on the 17th and hope I can nip this before then. I'd LOVE to ditch all this nonsense and upgrade to a mechanical TB and standalone in the near future, however, that's going to have to wait until next year if not later.
Old 09-02-20, 08:32 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 190 Posts

I hear you there. I am stuck with the throttle body as well until I go standalone. I even have a full jdm (non egr) non vvt-i manifold/tb ready to go on. Just can't commit to a harness/ECU yet.

Do you have someone who can connect to the computer and test the throttle body? A buddy of mine had an expensive diagnostics computer that read JOBD and he was able to determine if my sensors were in spec and whether the throttle body motors were functioning correctly. Might not even be those sensors on either side but instead the electric motor within the throttle body.
Old 09-02-20, 09:24 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Man, I wish I knew. I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone in town but I'm just not sure. I'll have to do some calling around because that would be insanely helpful!
Old 09-02-20, 12:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Rudy, since you are manual I would take the old throttle body and order and install the bypass so it becomes mechanical again.
Your ecu would go into "limp mode" where the auto trans won't shift, but since you have a manual you won't even notice it besides a check light.
Generally, toyota still enables the o2 correction and everything in "limp mode", so it should run and drive fine still.
If I understood it right they just disable throttle inputs and transmission controls, and the last bit of the throttle is mechanical so you can limp it home.

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior